Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

dub's a dub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

three posted:

Panthers can't run against a team that has to play safeties at LB.

This is all Bryce Youngs fault somehow.

Chuba had over 100 yards

Bryce completed less than 50% of this throws for 175

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Burns getting himself ejected on an extra point meant we had no pass rush pretty much all the second half.
Henderson covered Evans for a 75 yard TD and three huge conversions.
Holding call pushed us out of field goal range at the end of the half.
3rd and 1, in a 4 down situation. Called two long developing passing plays when the offensive line hasn't pass blocked on anything all day.

Bryce wasn't perfect today, but he was good enough, long enough, that with competence literally anywhere else means we win.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I don't think Henderson was covering Evans on the TD. It looked like he came off after teh catch and chased him down.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

I don't think Henderson was covering Evans on the TD. It looked like he came off after teh catch and chased him down.

Either way it was the dumbest possible mental lapse from the backfield on that play right after we'd wrestled momentum and the game back we just gave it away.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

"he wasnt perfect" what a loving understatement he had a sub 50% completion percentage lmao

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I’m retry sure Bryce could have run for the first down at the end.

He just saw an opportunity for a safety to chase down his wounded duck from the other side of the field and couldn’t pass it up.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

BlindSite posted:

Bryce wasn't perfect today, but he was good enough, long enough, that with competence literally anywhere else means we win.

I think the issue is that he put up his typical statline (under 6 YPA, maybe one TD, maybe a turnover) while his RB put up 100 yards, and against a team that didn't have linebackers.

The OL is godawful, the coaching is not good on the offense, but he doesn't look like a guy who can put the team on his back.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

ozymandius1024 posted:

I think the issue is that he put up his typical statline (under 6 YPA, maybe one TD, maybe a turnover) while his RB put up 100 yards, and against a team that didn't have linebackers.

The OL is godawful, the coaching is not good on the offense, but he doesn't look like a guy who can put the team on his back.

The problem is that asking a rookie, of all players, to "put the team on his back" when he has braindead playcallers, no offensive line, and recovers incapable of getting separation is...kind of a big ask. Bryce is struggling, no doubt about it, but the other things are true too, and I'm struggling to see which current NFL quarterback WOULD be balling out in this scenario.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Is it fair to ask a first overall qb to not throw sideline routes out of bounds, behind receivers, short of streaking wide open receivers, behind the line of scrimmage for no reason

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

We're gonna end up bullshitting our way into the playoffs

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Is it fair to ask a first overall qb to not throw sideline routes out of bounds, behind receivers, short of streaking wide open receivers, behind the line of scrimmage for no reason

He over threw it because Mingo had no shot on it, his other two passes of 30+ were pin point perfect. The personnell just isn't there.

You keep acting like he's overthrowing an wide open Aiyuk streaking down the sideline or missing Garret Wilson one on one with a safety. He's missing these throws with a collapsing pocket on 3rd and long to a 2nd round possession receiver who's blanketed.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

He's throwing to the loving dirt, dude

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Alaois posted:

He's throwing to the loving dirt, dude

Like I said there was some good, some bad today from Bryce, on a competent offense, with a competent play design we win this game.

Like there was a drive where Bryce connected on a plus 20 yard pass, audibled into a run that got us a first, changed the play again to get us a TD and you guys still pissed and moaned because he short armed an out route on the drive. You can't expect a rookie to be perfect, every week. As I said, he did more than enough to win us the game today.

Brian Burns and the backfield threw away the entire 2nd half. Not calling a run play on 1 yard to go when we'd been gashing them in the running game lost us that game.

I'm not saying Bryce had some revolutionary game today but you can't pin that loss on him before about 3 or 4 other things.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

There is like a 5% chance the Falcons win out given the pathetic remaining strength of schedule and end up as, by far, the worst 11-win team in NFL history.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i don't know if the tiebreakers quite work out but the bucs beating atlanta next week and getting back on top of the division would be very funny

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

kidcoelacanth posted:

i don't know if the tiebreakers quite work out but the bucs beating atlanta next week and getting back on top of the division would be very funny

I think it would go to the third tie breaker (won-lost-tied percentage in common games) and they would be ahead there for the week because they beat the Vikings and the Falcons lost to them.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I’m not gonna pull reciepts but member when some of yall said there was no way Mike Evans hit 1000 yards again?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Pershing posted:

We're gonna end up bullshitting our way into keeping Arthur Smith

FTFY

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Stay strong blindsite I saw a couple good plays with Bryce today. Saw a lot of bad ones but it’s so hard to hold him responsible for that train wreck

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Just watched the game. Bryce sucks. Panthers should've ran Chubba 40 times.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

ozymandius1024 posted:

tbf his back isn't very big

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
If every WR and TE on the Panthers roster was a Free Agent next year, every single one would be unemployed by the middle of the year next year, except maybe Adam Thielen.

Enjoy wasting your time trying to judge a QB based on the staff and weapons around him, I guess.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Hey, I just watched my first game of his and he literally threw a backwards pass at his linemans head and the ball just kinda rolled out of bounds for a 10 yard loss. Jameis Winston type poo poo.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

three posted:

If every WR and TE on the Panthers roster was a Free Agent next year, every single one would be unemployed by the middle of the year next year, except maybe Adam Thielen.

Enjoy wasting your time trying to judge a QB based on the staff and weapons around him, I guess.

"Bryce needs better protection, better weapons and better playcalling" is a totally insane statement now.

Mahomes has been extremely mortal this year without a wide receiver doing anything of note and everyone recognises that the receivers suck and there's going to be drives and plays that just die because of it. Bryce is a rookie in a less friendly system, less able coaches, worse run game, no hall of fame TE to go to and a worse offensive line and you read poo poo like "a good QB will elevate his receivers".

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Perhaps the Panthers should've acquired some talent instead of trading everything away for a QB and putting him on a JV NFL roster. Impatient owner going to keep that franchise down forever.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

wandler20 posted:

Perhaps the Panthers should've acquired some talent instead of trading everything away for a QB and putting him on a JV NFL roster. Impatient owner going to keep that franchise down forever.

I agree with you.

No ones saying they've made smart moves or their Roster is good.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Joey Freshwater posted:

I’m not gonna pull reciepts but member when some of yall said there was no way Mike Evans hit 1000 yards again?

One of those might have been me but I claim a lot of things.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

this entire year's a wash for Bryce IMO
you can't really get a read on a QB's capabilities when he's somehow simultaneously on his second and fourth playcaller of the season

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

There's also the fact that shorter QBs need the middle guys to stand up in protection. There's a reason why New Orleans were never lacking for guard play during Brees' tenure. The biggest thing everyone's over looking realistically is losing our top 3 guards this year.

The blocking scheme change didn't help - at all, but losing the two starting interior lineman made this much worse than it otherwise would have been.

The offense did some different things today in terms of blocking scheme, motion, RPO concepts, bunch formations etc and all of it was much improved from where it was for example - in the Chicago game. Those things will get better as they install them in practice and get the reps in but for now you really do need another wide receiver or two minimum, a healthy offensive line and I'd argue something in terms of another TE or back.

Bryce has shown enough for me to think he has a floor that keeps him in the league, its hard to know what level he can play at because he's had limited opportunities but to say he hasn't flashed wouldn't be accurate either.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 4, 2023

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

BlindSite posted:

Bryce has shown enough for me to think he has a floor that keeps him in the league, its hard to know what level he can play at because he's had limited opportunities but to say he hasn't flashed wouldn't be accurate either.

I think that the flashes being so brief is what is so frustrating. It's a completely dogshit situation, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that he's having a rookie season that is only rivaled by Josh Rosen in recent memory. Almost every #1 draft pick is coming into a terrible situation, so it's not like he's unique in that way.

They traded a shitload for the right to draft him, and the fact that they're going to have to do a ton more with the roster (with this loving GM, or whatever chucklefuck Tepper gets) just for him to be functional really really sucks.

It's obviously magnified with Houston just shoving our faces in it all season (and probably for the foreseeable future). Like, that was a shittier team than Carolina last year with a lovely supporting cast (Nico Collins had a comparable year to Terrace Marshall, Pierce was ok, like what did they have aside from Tunsil?), and they may make the loving playoffs this year with a bunch of OL injuries and a first year play caller.

gently caress David Tepper.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BlindSite posted:

Flash in this case meaning the 2-3 times a game he makes an nfl caliber throw. The kind of throws I watched Levis do with ease two weeks ago. These aren’t sports center type plays; they’re just instances where everything goes right and he shows he can complete the route tree. And you’re probably also counting throws like his sideline route to a wide open chark that’s an easy TD with any other qb.

These happen very infrequently so it’s easier to remember these compared to the countless times a game he just makes a poo poo throw. The wide receivers have nothing to do with him sailing passes out of bounds or not seeing safeties or standing on his top toes to try to view the field.

You think his floor keeps him in the league? His floor is throwing a backwards pass to the sideline that luckily had enough English on it to get out of bounds. His floor is curling.

Edit* and just coming back to this, did he flash on the chark deep ball? was the play calling not good there either? Do you think a better throw there is an easy td, a throw nfl qbs are expected to make? Who’s fault was it he underthrew it and got bailed out by Chark, the same receiver you say can’t make plays?

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Dec 4, 2023

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
https://twitter.com/JoshNorris/status/1731764401747665005?t=cLKG-iddz2XSfwS8adftIQ&s=19

Fiz: "wrong, he should catch it for him"

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i think i have hit my limit on the "is bryce young bad" discourse

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i am aware this is a losing battle

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

You'd think it'd be a short discussion

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

If those are his two best throws of the game then lol

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 4, 2023

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

If those are into best throws of the game then lol

Its just two examples of where you might be blaming Byrce for.something that's not his fault but ok.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Atlanta Falcons - Bad but better than your teams.

Can the bucs stop this stinky garbage ball's inexorable roll to winning the division? Who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Can the bucs stop this stinky garbage ball's inexorable roll to winning the division? Who cares

thread title imo