Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

FizFashizzle posted:

UNC Grad, asheville native coming in to Carolina and fixing things would be a movie script if not for the fact the owner is so lovely that people are texting him the warning from Alien.

Depiction of Johnson reading the texts:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

Pontius Pilate posted:

Moore has been an upgrade, over an admittedly very low bar, but not as much as I was hoping. Some of it is the roster being injured/older/not as good as we thought, but he still hasn’t been spectacular or anything. That said, fire Staley way, way before him

I guess I was expecting Moore to result in the Chargers taking a giant leap and at least putting some pressure on the Chiefs. The narrative had been they were being held back by bad coaching. I still think Moore is a good OC, but would want to see him on a successful team before hiring him as a head coach.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Benne posted:

Oh so he's gonna hire Kellen after all the good candidates turn him down and then pretend that was his first choice all along

Or Moore turns him down and he has to go after someone like Brian Schottenheimer

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

fartknocker posted:

Or Moore turns him down and he has to go after someone like Brian Schottenheimer

This is what's going to happen. Right now Tepper is the lovely kid no one likes sending out a million invitations to his birthday party, but no one's gonna show up

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fartknocker posted:

You really don't ever HAVE to go after someone like a Brian Schottenheimer

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

The primary reason that the Dallas 2023 offense (McCarthy) looks better than the Dallas 2022 offense (Moore) is the huge difference interceptions. (Edit: for 12 games: 6 interceptions in 2023, 15 in 2022! :siren:)

Anecdotally, many of the 2022 interceptions seemed fluky and not really Dak’s fault. I think the Dallas playoff loss last year is a good example.

One of Dak's interceptions in that game was tipped, but it still wasn't a good decision. The other was the defender jumping the route.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
give me a coach who will show his rear end to the players.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I know there’s only 32 head coaching spots and you almost always take it - if nothing else for the money.

But…I’m pretty sure I’d avoid anything Tepper related like the plague.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

wazu posted:

I guess I was expecting Moore to result in the Chargers taking a giant leap and at least putting some pressure on the Chiefs. The narrative had been they were being held back by bad coaching. I still think Moore is a good OC, but would want to see him on a successful team before hiring him as a head coach.

They are held back by bad coaching.

Look who coaches the defense.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Kellen Moore with a statement about his worth as a HC candidate

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

FizFashizzle posted:

https://x.com/DMRussini/status/1731064857271701548?s=20

UNC Grad, asheville native coming in to Carolina and fixing things would be a movie script if not for the fact the owner is so lovely that people are texting him the warning from Alien.

Tepper gonna complain about reverse tampering

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

kalensc posted:

Tepper gonna complain about reverse tampering

Teppering

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

mcmagic posted:

This would be a terrible hire. They need a program builder, not a playcaller.

They need someone who can tell Tepper to gently caress off when he interferes. That's not going to happen with Moore.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

They need someone who can tell Tepper to gently caress off when he interferes. That's not going to happen with Moore.

Agree, give me Harbaugh

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Do you want Jom Tomsula and Chip Kelly after he does that?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

BlindSite posted:

Agree, give me Harbaugh

Harbaugh and Tepper would result in a Mexican standoff that kills both of them, the question is whether it happens in 2 years, 6 months, or 17 minutes into the interview.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

edit: wrong thread

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Do you want Jom Tomsula and Chip Kelly after he does that?

Tomsula is a proven champion

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

fartknocker posted:

Harbaugh and Tepper would result in a Mexican standoff that kills both of them, the question is whether it happens in 2 years, 6 months, or 17 minutes into the interview.

Im still yet to see a downside/

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

BlindSite posted:

Im still yet to see a downside/

Harbaugh was destined to coach the man who would use his NFL fame and money to cure cancer. Without Harbaugh's influence, they toil in mediocrity on the Patriots, wash out of the league after a couple of years, and blow all their money on a theme chain restaurant that goes under.

But no Tepper, so you gotta take the bad with the good.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Not enough firings imo

Nov 6, 2002

Any other coach would have been fired by New England today.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Winning a half dozen super bowls has its perks.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/jwyattsports/status/1731735076369473911

That'll fix things

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Whoever the Panthers hire, should require that a clause be adding into the contract that guarantees at least a full season of coaching, and can’t be fired before the end of the season.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Special teams allowed blocked punts on back to back attempts which lead to the punter getting hurt. It's deserved

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Why? Entire coaching contracts are guaranteed. Who cares if you’re fired in W13 or after Y1 when you have another $40m you’re owed.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/1heBoy/status/1731729808533692905?t=vSY9temEN2SPMLl_Y19uSA&s=19

Jack Nicholson Yes gif

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Peter King goes after Tepper today in FMIA

He's the king of NFL access journalism. If he's comfortable going after an owner that hard, gotta wonder what the rest of the league thinks of the Panthers owner.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I wouldn't want my team to hire Kellen Moore but I am for someone else doing it so I can see the car crash

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

FizFashizzle posted:

Peter King goes after Tepper today in FMIA

He's the king of NFL access journalism. If he's comfortable going after an owner that hard, gotta wonder what the rest of the league thinks of the Panthers owner.

Jerry Jones: man, even I think he's too hands on

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A link to King's article: https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/fmia/news/nfl-san-francisco-49ers-christian-mccaffrey-dak-prescott-fmia-week-13-peter-king

the Tepper content:

quote:

David Tepper: Steinbrenner without the winning.

quote:

Tepper Troubles

It wasn’t particularly surprising that Carolina owner David Tepper fired coach Frank Reich last Monday. It’s Tepper’s M.O. In the last 48 months, Tepper has fired three full-time head coaches in mid-season. After 28 games of ownership, he dismissed Ron Rivera. He fired Matt Rhule 38 games into his seven-year contract. Now he fired Reich after just 11 games. Tepper also owns the MLS franchise Charlotte FC, and in its two years of existence, he has fired both head coaches. This means:

• None of Tepper’s five head coaches has lasted as long as 2.5 seasons.
  • His five head coaches in two sports have lasted an average of 29 games under his ownership, which began in 2018.
  • Tepper willingly sold the farm to draft quarterback Bryce Young in April, then fired the two coaches in place to nurture and develop him, Reich and QB coach Josh McCown, after 10 months on the job—even though Young liked and trusted both coaches in the midst of a disastrous season marked by one of the leakiest offensive lines in football.
  • An owner whose tutelage in the game involved nine years as a minority owner of the Steelers has now forgotten everything he saw in Pittsburgh. Tepper has employed three head coaches and three interim coaches in the past four calendar years. The Steelers have employed three head coaches in the last 54 years.

Tepper is Carolina’s biggest impediment to success.

It’s easy, and justifiable, for an owner to be impatient and angry at being 1-10 after trading up to pick a quarterback with the top pick in the draft. But intelligent people who understand the market and world they’re living in should understand what it takes to succeed in it. Tepper doesn’t. His kneejerk reaction is: We stink, and the quarterback we passed on is setting the league on fire, and our quarterback looks like he’s a JV player. Heads must roll. The specter of C.J. Stroud’s overwhelming success in turning around Houston overnight after Young went one and Stroud two in the draft should have zero to do with Carolina’s decision-making. But let’s be real. An emotional owner like Tepper has to find the juxtaposition between his QB and Houston’s unacceptable. So Reich walks the plank.

The Panthers won five of their last eight games last year, which led some in Carolina to think the franchise, with some good defensive pieces, was just a quarterback away from contention. Let’s look how they won those five games. Carolina rushed for an average of 226 yards per game in those five wins, an astounding 5.1 yards per rush—after trading Christian McCaffrey. More astounding: Carolina had a fifties-era run-pass ratio of 69-31, crazy at a time when the average rushing rate is about 41 percent per game. The Panthers didn’t trade a huge ransom to be a counter-culture running team. Changing to a passing team, particularly after trading the number one receiver as part of the package to draft Young, wasn’t going to happen overnight.

Changing a football philosophy takes time. Chuck Noll was 1-13 his first year in Pittsburgh, Bill Walsh 2-14 in his first year in San Francisco, Jimmy Johnson 1-15 in his first year in Dallas. They went on to win 10 Super Bowls, total, with those teams. Not saying Reich would have won anything, but how can you know, 10 months into his tenure? (In Detroit, Dan Campbell in his first 11 games was 0-10-1; he’s 20-14 since.)

Young hasn’t played well overall. But he’s also been under significant pressure consistently. Over his first 11 games, he’s the only regular starter this year to have faced pressure on at least a third of his pass-drops each game, per Next Gen Stats. Not healthy for a good passing game, particularly after trading your best receiver. One more Next Gen negative: Carolina left tackle Ikem Ekwonu has allowed the fourth-most pressures (62) among all offensive linemen—and center Bradley Bozeman is worst in the league at his position in sacks (eight) and pressures (40) allowed.

There’s one other thing, as told to me by one NFL offensive coach with a long history in the league: “One thing these owners who fire people quickly don’t understand is what it takes to build a team, particularly a team with a rookie quarterback. The quarterback comes in his first year after the draft, and it’s a short offseason, and if he’s going to start right away, it’s an accelerated process. So you go through that first year, and you’re looking forward to correcting all his mistakes and continuing to build him up in a full off-season in year two. So you fire his head coach who I’m sure was pretty hands-on and his quarterback coach in the middle of his first year, and he works with other people for the rest of that year, and then everybody gets fired, and then there’s a third group that comes in to coach the young quarterback. I mean, maybe they’ll keep the coaches who stayed after Reich, but I doubt it. So the young quarterback getting coached by three different sets of people in his first 12 months as your franchise quarterback. How is that healthy?”

It isn’t. It’s lunacy.

What is bothersome about Tepper is he camped out in Matt Rhule’s driveway in Waco, Texas, waiting for him to come back from vacation with his family in January 2020, just so he could get the first shot at hiring him. He gave Rhule a rich seven-year contract, and fired him a month into the third season. He hired Reich, who taught Carson Wentz in his best year in Philly, who was hands-on with Nick Foles in the Super Bowl year, who had playoff years with Andrew Luck and Philip Rivers in Indy, and then he got dumb in his first 10 months in Carolina. How does Tepper entrust him on a clear rebuild with a patchwork offensive line and after trading the number one receiver—and then fire him when the team is awful three months in?

I feel for the fans in Carolina. The Panthers will have to either franchise or overpay their best player, edge rusher Brian Burns, a free agent in March, to stay on this sinking ship. After dealing McCaffrey and D.J. Moore in the last 14 months, they’ve got massive offensive holes and their only proven, reliable receiver, Adam Thielen, will be 34 next opening day. The way to not fix things is with impatience, which is Tepper’s best trait.

The Panthers are miles from hopelessness, and the captain of the ship leads the league in panic. He’s Steinbrenner without the winning. Now the question is: Is there anyone in his life, or in the Panthers’ organization, who can keep David Tepper from driving this franchise off a cliff?

Nov 6, 2002

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when Tepper read that.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

If you fire belichick do you suddenly have to figure out like 2 interim coordinators, the GM, and whatever front office jobs like player ops. I guess that's sort of what the raiders did but I dunno

Nov 6, 2002

Belichick is not getting fired mid season.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

quote:

The Panthers are miles from hopelessness, and the captain of the ship leads the league in panic. He’s Steinbrenner without the winning. Now the question is: Is there anyone in his life, or in the Panthers’ organization, who can keep David Tepper from driving this franchise off a cliff?

is this about Nicole? Who does Peter think is driving the bus?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

No other HC is getting fired until after the season

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when Tepper read that.

The Downfall dinner scene is probably pretty close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That write-up certainly makes me feel better about my bad team, because at least they aren't the Panthers.