Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

apparently the mariners are throwing back some money in the trade, but ultimately buying Kelenic and the braves probable "throw him out there wtf is an actual 5th starter" guy in gonzalez is probably worth it in the end.

Kelenic probably ends up just a mostly competent platoon guy in LF with Grissom, but hey, maybe this is the change of scenery it takes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Marco is very very bad and the Braves are obviously trying to win next year. I’d be surprised if he logs any starts for them.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

you would think so, but the braves 5th starter last season was "whatever rookie was called up this week, the corpses of Soroka and Allard, and Yonny Chirinos"

Like, Marco was not appreciably worse than most of that

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
He’s interchangeable with Jordan Lyles so if that fits your bill he might get some burn.

He’s also coming off a nerve injury to his throwing arm.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

it's less "the braves are happy to have him be the 5th starter" and more "he will probably start 12 games, suck in most of them, and not be that much worse than the other mediocrity the braves will throw out as a 5th starter next year"

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Very weird Kelenic is being traded to Atlanta and their version of Kelenic, Vaughn Grissom, isn't going back to Seattle.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
when did everyone sour on Grissom

oh no he had a subpar 80 PA at 22 years old

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

General Bullshit posted:

Very weird Kelenic is being traded to Atlanta and their version of Kelenic, Vaughn Grissom, isn't going back to Seattle.

can’t see past Grissom getting traded this winter but I think they’re trying to make him look worthwhile in his own right, hence playing up the idea that he might compete with Kelenic for time:

https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/1731544094088782133?s=46&t=2RtKUZF-7mtwaGnhOLp93A

side question: how long will it take autocorrect to stop trying to turn Kelenic into Kleenex

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Intruder posted:

When I drafted him in fantasy baseball and he didn't even make the roster out of spring training :argh:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

poor Jordan

https://twitter.com/cespedesbbq/status/1731523579945075066

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Intruder posted:

He's definitely not a shortstop, and imo not a 2B either. Predictably cooled down after his hot debut; the bat's probably fine but not a huge plus once someone bites the bullet and moves him to left. He's got value, just not Michael Harris-level like everyone assumed at first and doesn't really fit Atlanta's roster.

E: speaking of,
https://x.com/mlbbowman/status/1731544094088782133?s=20

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 4, 2023

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
What the gently caress

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I don't think trading a 4th OF with some upside to clear two terrible contracts and getting a legit prospect back + a reclamation project reliever is a bad move, or intentionally loving with the fanbase.

but Kelenic exists in a superposition of terrible and good so

It's the pattern. Roster stands as thus
[quote="LL Poster"]
C - Cal and replacement level junk
1B - France
2B - Rojas / Caballero / Moore mash-up
SS - JP
3B - Urias
LF - Vacant
CF - Julio
RF - Vacant
DH - Vacant

Rotation still includes the two rookies from last year and zero depth behind them.
Bullpen is similar to the end of last season.[/poster]

And they aint spending money so ???

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Popete posted:

Everyone's trying to follow the Braves model to get players for dirt cheap.

Bregor posted:

Scott Kingery says hello

Evan White says hello as well!

Wait. I'm getting a report here. Ummmm.

Evan White has said goodbye.

Kirios posted:

Oh thank God Mariner fans can finally stop acting like Kelenic is good now.

Now apparently it's time for everyone else to for some reason. Dude's always on the cusp of figuring it out. Never has for more than what? A month at a time? Of course he likely will turn into something decent cause the baseball Gods are rude and LOL M's is gonna LOL M's one way or another. Not really happy that they're clearly just salary dumping twice now with no known plan, but other than a general sense that Eugenio seems like a cool dude, his impending fall off is even more likely than the chance that Kelenic never turns the corner.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Kirios posted:

I made the joke a couple of weeks ago that the Mariners FO hates their fan base.

They only care about 54% of us.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

They need two OF bats but those are findable.

If they don't, then we can roast Dipoto and call for his head but it's December, not February.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Well Kelenic was hot and cold (and hurt) last season, it shouldn't affect their lineup that much, how bad could it reall--

:yikes:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That is a dire lineup

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!
Too much Big Dumper doubting itt

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How much cap space did they clear? Pairing Shohei with a generationally good CF would be quite the combo, they'd be unbeatable in the AL West.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
https://twitter.com/Brandon_N_Wile/status/1731533564678750334

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
They are probably asking for Tiedemann

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

mcmagic posted:

They are probably asking for Tiedemann
I’m sure they are, and they should considering it’s Juan Soto

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m sure they are, and they should considering it’s Juan Soto

It's a one year rental of Juan Soto.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
They should not, considering it’s one year of Juan Soto. He’s not just one of the Blue Jays’ best prospects, Tiedemann is one of the best in all of baseball. I don’t like prospect hugging, and TINSTAAPP applies, but I would not want to sell out for 2024 unless a Soto deal comes with other moves.

Same would apply to the Yankees if they need to give up multiple young arms like Thorpe, Hampton, and Warren. (I’m not counting King and Schmidt as “young”.)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

People are going to complain that whatever team gets Soto got him for relatively nothing because the market just isn't there.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Tony Phillips posted:

Now apparently it's time for everyone else to for some reason. Dude's always on the cusp of figuring it out. Never has for more than what? A month at a time?

The reason I like this specifically for the Braves is because they don’t need him to be a lineup cornerstone. They’ve already got plenty of those. Even if he’s just a guy, that’s fine as long as he’s cheap, and there’s upside there that just signing a veteran doesn’t bring you.

If he was being traded to a rebuilding team that needed him to be a star in the middle of the lineup, I’d be a lot more skeptical. But he slots in well for the Braves’ needs even if he doesn’t improve at all.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Cubs signed the prized NPB pitcher everyone is talking about: Edwin Escobar

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
For a fanbase that is supposedly so upset that their team hasn't won anything in fifteen years, Yankees fans sure are quick to give Cashman cover with the "rental" talk. It's not like they'd be trading away Jackson Holliday.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
He IS a rental. Right now there is no chance someone like the Dodgers or Giants can come in and get the Padres to trade Soto to them, short of a gigantic overpayment anyway, but they can absolutely show up with a blank check next year when he's a free agent. There isn't a guarantee they re-sign him

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

live with fruit posted:

For a fanbase that is supposedly so upset that their team hasn't won anything in fifteen years, Yankees fans sure are quick to give Cashman cover with the "rental" talk. It's not like they'd be trading away Jackson Holliday.

I still think they get him without having to give up King.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I am simply shocked that the sudden appearance of a divisional rival trying to trade for the same player as the Yankees wasn't necessarily based on hard facts.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/mike_petriello/status/1731713707132997713

You too will do the blinking surprise guy meme at this one

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

"I have no idea"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

I am simply shocked that the sudden appearance of a divisional rival trying to trade for the same player as the Yankees wasn't necessarily based on hard facts.

The Blue Jays actually remind me of the Jets because they love to bullshit their fans that they finished second for every great player that becomes available but never actually get them.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Davidi is very much not clued into what the Jays are doing. Its pretty rare that he ever breaks anything. He generally just parrots poo poo that's already out there in a different way then writes an article.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/MikeVassallo13/status/1731721330318291113

How does the players union allow this predatory poo poo to go on?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Chourio's will be 27 when his 8/82 deal expires and he has yet to play a day in the Majors. This isn't nearly as bad as the criminal Ozzie Albies deal.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Juan Soto will have made ~80 million over his first 8 years going year to year and then through arbitration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Popete posted:

Chourio's will be 27 when his 8/82 deal expires and he has yet to play a day in the Majors. This isn't nearly as bad as the criminal Ozzie Albies deal.

Isn't there 2 team option years on top of the 8?