Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Super fast Steiner and Kurita test models...

Definitely looked less sloppy from a distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

PAX news.

https://hpgstation.de/2023/12/02/ba...kdu7IeLvsDggJ5Y

New minis sets:

4 new Force Packs in, 1 per Quarter
Star League Command Lance
Atlas II, Phoenix Hawk Special, Orion, Thunder Hawk
2nd Star League Pack
Pre painted minis
Thunder Hawk Pre Painted
Dire Wolf Prometheus in 1 pack. Pre painted [Guess: 2nd Star League Force Pack]

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
One thing I never understood- why was Germany the one country that really took to Battletech? (Aside from the obvious jokes)

Did FASA have a really good international partner back in the day?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
FORCE MANUALS, FINALLY GODDAMMIT

Ooh, hot spots Hinterlands. More developments out of the Tamar Pact?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Owlbear Camus posted:

PAX news.

New minis sets:

2nd Star League Pack
Pre painted minis
Thunder Hawk Pre Painted

I don't think the Thunder Hawk is prepainted. I wouldn't object if it was, what with it being Donegal Guards, but the box photo shows four unpainted minis.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 2, 2023

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

hopefully with that and the federated suns finally done with literally taking it in both ends we can be done talking about "fiat" in general

Fed Suns at least can be argued as correcting after a lot of "fiat" in their favor, though ironically it feels like the Dracs got a little too much BS luck on their behalf as part of that. Though that too looks like it's coming to an end shortly given the DC is almost certainly next on the block to get mangled by war.

PoptartsNinja posted:

There was roughly a five year stretch between the game being first made (Battledroids, 1984) and the Clans being introduced in 1989.

Yeah, I kind drifted into trying Battletech as a kid right as the 3050 tech manual was the new hotness, so I remember some of the grog complaining around then.

Cool, more Star League stuff; I rather like that they're stretching out to allow for play in earlier eras more in the last couple of years. It'd be kind of amusing if the BT era wars added Age of War and Star League era fanatics to the mix as a result though :D.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Like I've said before, it's a very ambitious goal to try and push two separate eras as primetime play settings, but if it works it'll help keep more of the community engaged at the same time. Good luck to CGL and the demo team on that

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I really wish my son would be more open-minded to trying Alpha Strike ("it's for babies") so that I could get more mechs on the table, but he just really loves CBT and he's done a pretty good job learning the rules considering he's not even 8 yet.

Today, I let him take a Shadow Cat and a Koshi against a lone Highlander. I wanted him to see the power of forcing me to expose my rear to one of them and it went exactly as planned. That Highlander got absolutely wrecked.

The Koshi's base is slightly fancier because I had to high the integrated base on the IWM sculpt.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You can remove the moulded bases from IWM/RP minis, but it's often not worth the hassle. Or the ambulance ride after it goes wrong...

Fun time, that.

GD_American posted:

One thing I never understood- why was Germany the one country that really took to Battletech? (Aside from the obvious jokes)

Did FASA have a really good international partner back in the day?
From what I understand that's exactly it. IIRC FanPro were the German company that licensed the game for translation back in the day, and kept things alive for a while when FASA died.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Yeah, there's limited pockets of fandom in Europe and Australia/NZ, where English comes easily and lifestyles are similar and the uh, cultural perspectives are easier to associate with.

It'd be cool to see BattleTech take off in...anywhere where mecha fandom is a thing! But again, players having the spare time + space to enjoy a tabletop slow robot simulator is a difficult hurdle to overcome for a business case.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I really wish my son would be more open-minded to trying Alpha Strike ("it's for babies") so that I could get more mechs on the table, but he just really loves CBT and he's done a pretty good job learning the rules considering he's not even 8 yet.
He's right though so I don't see the problem?????

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I can say that Battletech sells well in Bangkok, but I'm the only person at the FLGS ever putting it on the table. There are a lot of games like that in Thailand though, where people back the Kickstarters and buy up new releases, but you never actually see photos of painted models in the local miniature groups or the games actually being played.

I remember when Warlord put out Test of Honour and it was sold out in minutes here, but I am the only person to have actually painted the samurai (pain in the rear end to assemble) and get the game on the table. Test of Honour was dropped by Warlord and evaporated from store shelves since there weren't new releases, but Battletech is going strong. I just wish I knew how to translate the sales to players.

Arquinsiel posted:

You can remove the moulded bases from IWM/RP minis, but it's often not worth the hassle. Or the ambulance ride after it goes wrong...

Fun time, that.

Yeah I tend to stay away from clipping chunks of metal off if there's a chance I could miss or send shrapnel flying into my eye.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 3, 2023

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Finished up a Steiner lance and Kurita lance today. I think they're both about as thematic as each house can get.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Atlas Hugged posted:

I can say that Battletech sells well in Bangkok, but I'm the only person at the FLGS ever putting it on the table. There are a lot of games like that in Thailand though, where people back the Kickstarters and buy up new releases, but you never actually see photos of painted models in the local miniature groups or the games actually being played.

I remember when Warlord put out Test of Honour and it was sold out in minutes here, but I am the only person to have actually painted the samurai (pain in the rear end to assemble) and get the game on the table. Test of Honour was dropped by Warlord and evaporated from store shelves since there weren't new releases, but Battletech is going strong. I just wish I knew how to translate the sales to players.
Based on the last couple of Kicjstarter campaigns Ireland is up there in the top countries per-capita of BattleTech buyers, but the community was basically five people in Dublin that randoms would see us at conventions and go "I though the game was dead!", a similarly sized group in Belfast, and the owner of a store in Limerick who gets stock in for him and his mates. Eventually one lad got sick of it and started pushing hard for monthly community events in an accessible location and now there are regular big game nights with 15-20 people at a time drawing from a known pool of about 50 people. Takes work but you can find the lonely robot fan who paints his toys and sighs about them never seeing the field.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
CGL needs an international demo team that's paid and held up to high standards.

Hell, CGL needs a *domestic* demo team that's paid and held up to high standards.

We're still a long ways off from having stores that are Catalyst Game Labs products only, and having BattleTech gaming turning into a generic word for miniatures gaming.

That's where Games Workshop was at one point, and that's where CGL needs to be allocating much of that fat Kickstarter revenue. I really, really hope the Force Manuals spell out specific forces to compose with the Force Packs on the market now. Sorry not sorry for the soapboxing.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I would be happy with them just hiring someone to keep the news on their website up to date, Announcements are made in like 20 different places and trying to figure out what products are on the way is a nightmare.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Speaking of which, here's a preview of the upcoming MechCommander's Handbook:

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,83361.0.html

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Indeed. Not sure why the landing for the entire game & setting is straddling three different URLs.

https://www.battletech.com seems newer, but remains a single page that doesn't look all that great. Tabs redirect to other hostnames and the drop-down menu displays a measly few wordpress posts

fs.battletech.com blows everything else out of the water in terms of splash appeal, but is for the fiction only and is maybe not the best organized

bg.battletech.com hosts the forums, still has a ton of orphaned web pages from the Jihad & early Republic eras, and has seemed to hit a long lull in news updates despite everything that's going on

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Xotl posted:

thank you

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

He's right though so I don't see the problem?????

Alpha strike is fun and for when you want to play with an entire trinary or a company. Trying to use anything more than like 4 mechs a side in classic takes way too drat long, especially when playing with newer people.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Use lance initiative. You're only moving three things that way.

Then you get to use Alpha Strike for Battalion level games! :pseudo:

CGL needs an international demo team that's paid and held up to high standards.

Hell, CGL needs a *domestic* demo team that's paid and held up to high standards.

We're still a long ways off from having stores that are Catalyst Game Labs products only, and having BattleTech gaming turning into a generic word for miniatures gaming.

That's where Games Workshop was at one point, and that's where CGL needs to be allocating much of that fat Kickstarter revenue. I really, really hope the Force Manuals spell out specific forces to compose with the Force Packs on the market now. Sorry not sorry for the soapboxing.
Where CGL are and where Games Workshop was when they started that process are very different. Plus the market has wildly changed now. Games Workshop rebranded their stores and started culling wildly after a period of nightmarish "one man store" experimentation. London has exactly one Games Workshop store now, with no play space in it. The hobby is being carried by the independant stockists these days.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I don't think I want "Battletech" to become "the hobby" the way 40k was/is. I don't think that's indicative of a healthy hobby space. I'd rather "the hobby" refer to any number of games/systems/companies/IPs and that there is no assumption that if you are in the hobby, you definitely play X.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Oh. I guess the rash financial decisions might not be the way to go. :ms: except it's mystique solved.

Also after doing some research it turns out my concerns about public facing stuff and running the show in an orderly fashion are slowly trying to get addressed, so, yeah.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, I should have said "The Hobby(TM)" to make it clear that I'm talking about GW's marketing strategy there, not the vague concept of shuffling around fight toys with a friend. Their wholesale colonisation of the concept has not been great for the space long-term.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Xotl posted:

could someone who has an account there post the preview here? Xotl says "Feel free to spread the preview around" so no :filez: worries there

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Owlbear Camus posted:

PAX news.

New minis sets:

2nd Star League Pack
Pre painted minis
Thunder Hawk Pre Painted

Pics for those forcepacks (Well, the first one and the Prometheus.

And some pics of new force packs coming Q3 next year.

clix pre-painted minis are back, baby :cool: The Prometheus looks cool, although I'm sad the Orion is pre-painted. Should be more welcoming for folks who can't paint or are intimidated.

Also, look at all those REPUBLICmechs in Forcepacks 3+4! Too bad they're Clan salvage now...

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 4, 2023

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Xotl posted:

Is this a third canon reference to MechCommanders!?

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

biosterous posted:

could someone who has an account there post the preview here? Xotl says "Feel free to spread the preview around" so no :filez: worries there

Sure.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/q4904kfem4ijzvhh66nbf/0X-Force-Building-03-Wayward-Sons-Preview-v2.pdf?rlkey=26rnq9h3vz26h7q0yq7soc4fi&dl=0

EDIT: link updated with fresh draft

General Battuta posted:

Is this a third canon reference to MechCommanders!?

I can only think of two myself, if you include this. What are they all?

Xotl fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 5, 2023

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
That assault lance is already worth it for the Emperor and Argus alone. Both are good robots, though the Helios is not bad either.

Very curious to see what they look like as new renders, though I don't expect much change for the Argus

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

GD_American posted:

I was one of those grogs.

I hated how out of wack ClanTech made the game when the 3050 TRO first dropped (soooo many Masakari Primes), and the fiction behind them was pretty terrible at the start. I'll always think the faction names are pretty dumb.

Since then, it's reached the same level of unevenness as other fiction, and they've balanced things well in-game. I'll never like them, but whining about the existence of the Clans today is about the same level as complaining about Metallica cutting their hair.

Same here.

The initial launch of the Clans threw game balance out the window. As introduced, Clan pulse lasers with a targeting computer could make called shots. Clanners could just insta-delete a torso, leg, whatever at long-range. They fixed that later.

Throw in munchkins who ignored the in-game Clan rules of engagement and it just sucked for a while.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

PhotoKirk posted:

The initial launch of the Clans threw game balance out the window.

BattleTech is an inherently unbalanced game. There's really nothing for it, it was designed before "game balance" was a consideration and a lot of its numbers were arbitrary (and the rest were just to make the math look pretty).

In that regard, the Clans appearing when they did was actually fortunate. I think the power spike was a lot bigger than the OG devs expected; and they've been doing a pretty good job walking things back as the timeline has progressed. So BattleTech's sort-of gotten into a reverse of the typical power creep that a lot of other games suffer from and I like how the setting feels in 3150.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

PoptartsNinja posted:

BattleTech is an inherently unbalanced game. There's really nothing for it, it was designed before "game balance" was a consideration and a lot of its numbers were arbitrary (and the rest were just to make the math look pretty).

In that regard, the Clans appearing when they did was actually fortunate. I think the power spike was a lot bigger than the OG devs expected; and they've been doing a pretty good job walking things back as the timeline has progressed. So BattleTech's sort-of gotten into a reverse of the typical power creep that a lot of other games suffer from and I like how the setting feels in 3150.

Wasn't the original plan for the 3250 jump was to "wipe the slate clean" and create just 1 level of tech that was more balanced? I'm glad they're not jumping ahead for a lore perspective, but that does sound like one way to balance tech.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

I guess you’re right that the original game doesn’t count as a canon reference. So third reference to mechcommanders period, second canon after uhh Imminent Crisis?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There's a mention of them in the FedCom Civil War sourcebook where the AFFS was supposedly adding these guys so that Company Commanders could focus on fighting, which just seems really stupid to me.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Wasn't the original plan for the 3250 jump was to "wipe the slate clean" and create just 1 level of tech that was more balanced? I'm glad they're not jumping ahead for a lore perspective, but that does sound like one way to balance tech.

Supposedly. It also involved Clan Wolf winning and destroying all other factions so there would just be "Clan Wolf" and "rebels."

Would have killed the game stone dead.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The prepaint looks pretty alright. Decent tabletop standard, about what I expected. Is that Kerensky's ride?

I think the way the game is presented as unbox and play your new guys it's good for the non-hobbyists. I guess it's kind of weird that the retail box only has 1/4 as prepaints. I wonder how much that's going to raise MSRP.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Nvm

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 4, 2023

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

That was the rumor but I don't know if it was ever the actual plan.

Edit: I'm not sure the force packs are offering anything pre-painted; it seems more likely they just painted some of the prototypes for display purposes. I may be wrong, they do have the capacity to pre-paint (Leviathans minis will all be pre-painted), but all the images of the force pack prototypes in their boxes have unpainted minis.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 4, 2023

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

PoptartsNinja posted:

That was the rumor but I don't know if it was ever the actual plan.

Gotcha.

DefianceIndustries posted:

Supposedly. It also involved Clan Wolf winning and destroying all other factions so there would just be "Clan Wolf" and "rebels."

Would have killed the game stone dead.

Yeah, doing all new factions after nearly 40 years of the same factions would've been a Bad Idea. Although I do like how the Lyran Commonwealth has fragmented into multiple smaller states, I hope they do that somewhere else in the Inner Sphere, maybe Draconis Combine space if the Ghost Bears capture the Black Pearl.

Speaking of lore, here's what PaxUnplugged revealed is coming up

quote:

Battletech Fiction Updates:
End of Year 2023
Dark Age Novels:
Shadow of the Dragon (Yori's Power Play) December/January
Letter of the Law (Hunting Season Sequel FWL) December/January
Shrapnel 15 (Mercenaries Only) December
Q1 2024:
ilClan Era
Question of Survival Sequel (Jade Falcon)
Q2 2024:
ilClan Era
Trial by Birthright (Terra Post Hour of the Wolf RotS Ghost Knights)
Q3 2024:
ilClan Era
Void Breaker (Tucker Harwell)
2024 unknown:
ilClan
Trial of Birthright Counterpoint Novel by Tom Levine (Liao Story)
Sea Fox Novella coming to Mercenaries Kickstarter Backers.
Wars of Reaving Novels Moving Forward (Trilogy)
Tales of the Bounty Hunter Anthology Coming Along
Battletech Cookbook finalization
Jaime's Art of War finalization
Jihad Era Fiction Project Coming
Comstar Jokes Continue (Circle of Life)
Audiobooks (Goal of 1 Audio Book a Month)
Hour of the Wolf Audiobook slayed for 2024 Q1
Close Quarters Audiobook has been Completed
Raven Alliance/Clan Snow Raven Fiction:
A Treachery of Ravens (Delayed)
No Raven Alliance Fiction in the works
Den of Wolves Draft 2024
Hotspots Hinterlands
Mercenary Stories in the Hinterlands
Daniel doing more Fiction
Another German Novel coming to English
Re-release of Twighlight of the Clans for Print on Demand and Digital
Jason Schmetzer Working on things
Don't Expect Word of Blake in the ilClan Era Novels
Next GDL Short Novel Coming, Print on Demand Compilation of GDL 2.0 Novellas Coming - Jason Schmetzer
From Helm Memory Core

Ghost Knights sabotaging Alaric's Empire is a must-read for me, I really hope they get footage from Stone's hospital room and broadcast it everywhere on Terra so everyone knows Alaric and Chance murdered an old man in cold blood because he hurt their fee-fees.

The Yori novel should be great too. Wonder what Den of Wolves is though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Defiance Industries posted:

There's a mention of them in the FedCom Civil War sourcebook where the AFFS was supposedly adding these guys so that Company Commanders could focus on fighting, which just seems really stupid to me.
TBH BattleTech having unit commanders spend all their time in mechs rather than in auxiliary vehicles directing the fight from somewhere safe and well connected is one of the dumber things about the setting that you just kind of have to roll with. William H. Keith is one of the few authors who really bothers to approach this as a good idea at a level below Focht at Tukkayid.

Keith is also one of the few authors to go "this planet's gravity is different and also their day is weird due to the spin so dates get fucky". He really does pay more attention to the low level stuff than anyone else.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Wonder what Den of Wolves is though.

100% it's a new Wolf's Dragoons novel.

"Wolves on the Boarder"
"Wolfpack"

... Think they'll be retaking Outreach?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

PoptartsNinja posted:

100% it's a new Wolf's Dragoons novel.

"Wolves on the Boarder"
"Wolfpack"

... Think they'll be retaking Outreach?

Outreach is still an irradiated ruin, and much too close to Terra. They've got their secret base in FWL-space, guess it's just more Dragoon vs Wolf Empire.

It could be a story about former Exiles and Crusader Wolves trying to integrate.

If it's another Wolf Dragoon's novel... man, those suckers, with only one regiment to their name, have more novels than the Lyrans and Combine combined in the IlClan era.