Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

The fact that Chun Li could make contact with Yor and not have her limbs disintegrate makes this crossover completely unrealistic :colbert:

The idea that Yor and the average Street Fighter playable character exist in the same level of nonsense seems fair enough to me, TBH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Akuma can split battleships in half and Chun-Li can fight him. SF martial artists are crazy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah but so can Dan

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah but so can Dan

Dan is generally depicted as technically inept but surprisingly strong. He'd probably split a battleship in half by accident and then assume someone else did it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
If Johnny Cage can beat up not one but TWO Superman knockoffs in MK1, Yor can fight the Street Fighter guys

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yor is obviously holding back which is why she is in SF and not Mortal Kombat

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Everyone is missing the big picture here, put Yor is Street Fighter 6.

Also Yuri busting out Ryu's moves earlier makes more sense now.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1019562

Some heavy stuff in this week's SPY X FAMILY, but we got some juicy lore: Satan exists in this world.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Supersonic Shine posted:

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1019562

Some heavy stuff in this week's SPY X FAMILY, but we got some juicy lore: Satan exists in this world.

Melinda Desmond seems to be a kind soul, makes you wonder if Donovan is as evil as portrayed, although she is apparently estranged from Desmond

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CommieGIR posted:

Melinda Desmond seems to be a kind soul, makes you wonder if Donovan is as evil as portrayed.

I mean, there's definitely something weird going on given how she treats Damian

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Arist posted:

It seems to be come and go, although she does seem to care about Damian a lot even if she doesn't show it, cooking a bunch for him after the Bus Hostage crisis and mentioning to Yor that she is happy that Anya and Damian appear to be getting along, including buying the tea cakes Damian requests for Anya so they can become closer

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I need more of Yor holding comically tall stacks of boxes.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Arist posted:

The thing is, most of the time she does seem to act like she loves him, and the biggest example of her issues is after the kidnapping, when Anya reads her mind at first she's all worried and loving, but the moment Damian mentions his dad it's where she starts to go crazy with the nasty thoughts.

Basically it feels like she's projecting her hatred for Desmond into Damian which ofc is hosed up, but normally she loves him. If Anya had been at the fair I bet we'd have seen her mind do the same when he was brought up.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Heartiest salutations dearies!

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I'm glad Yor's boss was there to give history facts because for a few panels there I was intensely confused about how old Desmond is to have started a war that began when Loid was a child.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Some pretty heavy topics. Not nearly enough Anya.

InspectorCarbonara posted:

I'm glad Yor's boss was there to give history facts because for a few panels there I was intensely confused about how old Desmond is to have started a war that began when Loid was a child.
I feel like Desmond is probably mid to late 50s with a much younger wife and Lloyd is late 20s to early 30s?

If the war ended roughly 20 years ago, Desmond could have been a mid 30s PM.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I love it when the manga goes heavy like this.

Some Numbers posted:

Some pretty heavy topics. Not nearly enough Anya.

But a lot of Yor though.

Also Millie, glad she's getting a little fleshed out.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I like letting Yor's work friends get a little growth. Because usually they're just like one conglomerate that commentates (and/or interferes with) her life. Because we know a good bit about Loid's fellow WISE members, so it's always nice to give both of them equal focus.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

what a kind gorilla.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Electric Phantasm posted:

I love it when the manga goes heavy like this.

But a lot of Yor though.

Also Millie, glad she's getting a little fleshed out.

truth

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Lt. Lizard posted:

I need more of Yor holding comically tall stacks of boxes.

Yor Stranding.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
That was a very nice chapter, fleshing out a lot of people we'd only seen on the sidelines, adding some extra dimensions to key players. It makes you wonder, did something happen to Donovan Desmond to make him as he is now? Was he a warmer, more humane, more caring person, only to be altered by some external force? It's a question that has come up before, but every incident like this reinforces the idea.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I've had a pet theory regarding Desmond that (speculation) he's not actually Donovan Desmond, but a body double who took the name and face of the real deal, who died in the war. I think it would make him a nice foil to Loid, both spies and masters of disguise, both forced to play the part of father to a fake family. But while Loid grows to genuinely love and care for his family, "Donovan" truly cares nothing for his.

I dunno, just something I think would be neat.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Since we've never seen Donovan and his wife at the same time, I think that proves that they are both the same person.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yor is great

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Desmond may not have started the last war, but Operation Strix is about securing the fact that Desmond is not trying to start the next war. Millie's feelings are not entirely unwarranted.

TwoPair posted:

I like letting Yor's work friends get a little growth. Because usually they're just like one conglomerate that commentates (and/or interferes with) her life. Because we know a good bit about Loid's fellow WISE members, so it's always nice to give both of them equal focus.

I would really like to know the Director's backstory. From Loid's side, we got an inkling about his boss's backstory; I imagine Yor's boss probably has an intriguing story of his own.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

Melinda Desmond seems to be a kind soul, makes you wonder if Donovan is as evil as portrayed, although she is apparently estranged from Desmond

Well if Donovan is as hawkish as they say and Melinda' actions this chapter are genuine then I think we've found the source of the estrangement!

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I know this series is mostly a cute slice of life series but the world-building and stuff is absolutely incredible. You can tell the mangaka has put in a ton of work for what the setting is and how everything fits together.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Oh God.

So it's mentioned that there are rumors that Melinda is part of a satanic cult.

And her son is named Damien.

DONOVAN IS LITERALLY SATAN.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

David D. Davidson posted:

Oh God.

So it's mentioned that there are rumors that Melinda is part of a satanic cult.

And her son is named Damien.

DONOVAN IS LITERALLY SATAN.

Anya will pick this up via mind reading and misunderstand it as them a part of a Santa cult.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
More of a kuma cult.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Anya will pick this up via mind reading and misunderstand it as them a part of a Santa cult.

It's Anya. And Satan is pretty waku waku. If anything, she will mistake secret Santa party for secret Satan party.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Haven't read this in a while but I'm glad to see that Yor still rules. Good on Yor, best assassin ever.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new chapter https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1019533

I am glad we are going the route everyone expected, the adopted grandparents are great and gives anya an invaluable tool to get better at her studies, and learning to use her own brain rather than trying to pilfer from others', which is also very important

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Punished "Venom" Anya

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ganbatte anya

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ok, I was a little unsure when they were first introduced, but the adopted grandparents rock. :3:

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

TwoPair posted:

Punished "Venom" Anya

Not the expected Street Fighter cross-over but certainly a well-deserved one.

Loid! Go home and be a family man.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I feel like there’s going to be another shoe dropping with the grandparents. Maybe the son they moved back into the city is going to become involved in the spy work or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Grandpa being a university man with a history of neurological studies, with enough cognition problems that what he did during those years is just gone from his memory sets off a lot of warning bells for me.