Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
despite the lack of subtlety, Dune probably needed even less to have a chance at sticking for the general public. Maybe if all the characters were muad'dibs and sandworms, instead of just people and whatever the hell the guild navigators are. Coulda been named Spice Farm. or Animal Planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

sarah silverman is actually a really good person yall

She seems kinda bad in that article

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I like how a big difference between the Atreides and Harkonnen is just that the Atreides exploit while being mildly nice about it, but still exploit. So Herbert is basically saying "If you have to do this, don't be complete psychos." And America in response is basically "nahhhh lmao"

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

She seems kinda bad in that article

Aha, while I don’t actually personally know any comics at her level, I think she genuinely *wants* to be a good person, which puts her way at the top of her peers.

Being a great comic requires being charismatic, funny, quick, and very verbal. Intelligence is NOT on that list.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

1 and 2 are better, more interesting worlds

3, 4, and NV are not nearly as clever but they're still pinnacles in different respects.

im watching a 9 hour retrospective on the whole series and nah, NV is at least AS GOOD as FO1 & 2 if not better.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nichael posted:

I like how a big difference between the Atreides and Harkonnen is just that the Atreides exploit while being mildly nice about it, but still exploit. So Herbert is basically saying "If you have to do this, don't be complete psychos." And America in response is basically "nahhhh lmao"

Pretty much the whole deal with the first book is setting up what's on paper a pretty typical heroic fantasy and then seeing it come apart under the lens of realpolitik where by the end Paul realises he's going to be the face of more horrific bloodshed and destruction than the Harkonnens ever were.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

im saint germain posted:

despite the lack of subtlety, Dune probably needed even less to have a chance at sticking for the general public. Maybe if all the characters were muad'dibs and sandworms, instead of just people and whatever the hell the guild navigators are. Coulda been named Spice Farm. or Animal Planet

Dune was a big hit when it came out.
Unless ur just talking about DUNC

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nichael posted:

I said this just yesterday I think, but if you want a meltdown that makes Silverman's look positively decorous, check out Brett Gelman's. Or don't, because it's disturbing.

♫from the river, to the sea♫
♫that means you wanna kill me♫

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Benagain posted:

I'm sorry this got lost in fallout chat but the green knight ruled and was good I hope your friends find a fallout game they enjoy to distract them

I would have probably enjoyed it a bit more if there were subtitles so I could hear what people were mumbling

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Remulak posted:

Aha, while I don’t actually personally know any comics at her level, I think she genuinely *wants* to be a good person, which puts her way at the top of her peers.

Being a great comic requires being charismatic, funny, quick, and very verbal. Intelligence is NOT on that list.
Aside from verbal, that all sounds like intelligence to me. Maybe not nerd-style intelligence, but intelligence nonetheless.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
There were some jokes about how they're gonna recut DUNC II to make it pro-Harkonnens in light of recent events, but it's not particularly hard to read it as a cautionary tale about how the Muslim stand-ins Go Too Far because they're revengeful fanatics.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Reports say the series from Conservative outlet The Daily Wire, “Mr. Birchum,” created by and starring Adam Carolla, is based on his junior high wood shop teacher, a character popularized on his KROQ radio program and on Comedy Central’s “Crank Yankers.”

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/4336154-megyn-kelly-roseanne-barr-adam-carolla-daily-wire/

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

YaketySass posted:

There were some jokes about how they're gonna recut DUNC II to make it pro-Harkonnens in light of recent events, but it's not particularly hard to read it as a cautionary tale about how the Muslim stand-ins Go Too Far because they're revengeful fanatics.

It's on a kind of Lawrence of Arabia level where the Fremen are heroic because they know true freedom compared to the scheming, plotting imperial subjects but also this freedom makes them unknowable and terrifying, and any Imperial subject who spends too long among them will "go native" and be unable to reintegrate.

Worth noting explicitly too that the reason Herbert was able to write so prophetically about the perils of Middle East intervention is that mucking around in Afghanistan has been the folly of various Empires for over a hundred years now.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

josh04 posted:

It's on a kind of Lawrence of Arabia level where the Fremen are heroic because they know true freedom compared to the scheming, plotting imperial subjects but also this freedom makes them unknowable and terrifying, and any Imperial subject who spends too long among them will "go native" and be unable to reintegrate.

Worth noting explicitly too that the reason Herbert was able to write so prophetically about the perils of Middle East intervention is that mucking around in Afghanistan has been the folly of various Empires for over a hundred years now.

I think you're projecting more idealism onto the Fremen than Herbert does, at least apart from their portrayal as unstoppable killing machines

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Not heroic as in morally pure, more in the Greek sense where it's a society that values and follows heroic individuals and noone who doesn't command respect first will ever be truly obeyed. Morally again it's Lawrence of Arabia poo poo, "life is cheap to the Arab" etc. Paul has to come teach them how to subdue political unrest by implementing a bureaucratic class rather than single combat.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

josh04 posted:

Not heroic as in morally pure, more in the Greek sense where it's a society that values and follows heroic individuals and noone who doesn't command respect first will ever be truly obeyed. Morally again it's Lawrence of Arabia poo poo, "life is cheap to the Arab" etc. Paul has to come teach them how to subdue political unrest by implementing a bureaucratic class rather than single combat.

Mmm fair enough. I dont remember dune messiah well enough to recall how the post-conquest Fremen society is portrayed

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I've only read the first one so may well be it goes weirder places after that, yeah

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Has "Obliterated" been mentioned in this thread before? I caught it on Hasan's stream yesterday, and it looks like the best tv show ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MNfBHFhnNs

The main character is called Chad McKnight.

e: oh yeah it's not satire. It's full blown jingoism.

busalover has issued a correction as of 12:46 on Dec 4, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

busalover posted:

Has "Obliterated" been mentioned in this thread before? I caught it on Hasan's stream yesterday, and it looks like the best tv show ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MNfBHFhnNs

The main character is called Chad McKnight.

e: oh yeah it's not satire. It's full blown jingoism.

I checked out the first two episodes in and yeah it's not very CSPAM at all. The scene where the All American leader dude goes from promising not to torture a terrorist to violent insanity just by having Born In The USA explained to him was pretty good though.

What i thought was interesting about the show is how much of the review discourse focused on dick and puke jokes like it was an essentially bad thing to feature bawdy, broad humour. A lot of the Variety review focused on how the premise should have been "elevated" by featuring more "satire" and fewer rear end shots -- as if the only kind of satire is sober minded.

I'm not saying Obliterated shouldn't have been more mocking, it would absolutely have made it a better show. It's no Lexx. However it adds more fuel to my theory that "elevated genre" discourse is about taking undecorous genre stuff and making it all more shiny and middle class.

woke operator
Nov 17, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
discovering new (to me) microgenres of russian doomer music this morning. post-punk will never die

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The Silverman article was so many words

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
And all of them to basically say "pobody's nerfect"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

woke operator posted:

discovering new (to me) microgenres of russian doomer music this morning. post-punk will never die

*40 year old suburbanite voice*

my favorite band is reagan youth

woke operator
Nov 17, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AnimeIsTrash posted:

*40 year old suburbanite voice*

my favorite band is reagan youth

dude no tk

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

And all of them to basically say "pobody's nerfect"

She's really oddly fixated on the hostages taken by Hamas though

woke operator
Nov 17, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anyway reagan youth is hardcore its completely different

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

She's really oddly fixated on the hostages taken by Hamas though

I just hate that every comedian does the bullshit have their cake and eat it too thing of "I have no issue speaking at length about any of these issues as if I were an expert up to the point that someone questions anything I say, that's when I'm just joking around and wanna make people happy, I'm not an expert"

Like just stick to your guns or do the stupid "i'm growing I'm changing" apology, but backing away from believing in anything sincerely the moment you get yelled at online and saying "well I guess I'll just stick to telling jokes if everyone hates my opinions so much" is so cowardly lol

that's not even getting into that fact that you don't have to be an expert to recognize that Israel is committing genocide

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Open Source Idiom posted:

I checked out the first two episodes in and yeah it's not very CSPAM at all. The scene where the All American leader dude goes from promising not to torture a terrorist to violent insanity just by having Born In The USA explained to him was pretty good though.

What i thought was interesting about the show is how much of the review discourse focused on dick and puke jokes like it was an essentially bad thing to feature bawdy, broad humour. A lot of the Variety review focused on how the premise should have been "elevated" by featuring more "satire" and fewer rear end shots -- as if the only kind of satire is sober minded.

I'm not saying Obliterated shouldn't have been more mocking, it would absolutely have made it a better show. It's no Lexx. However it adds more fuel to my theory that "elevated genre" discourse is about taking undecorous genre stuff and making it all more shiny and middle class.

Yeah, I'm currently watching it. It's for people who like CoD cut-scenes, but don't want to play a game. Meh.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

woke operator posted:

anyway reagan youth is hardcore its completely different

tahts teh same poo poo

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Fuligin posted:

Mmm fair enough. I dont remember dune messiah well enough to recall how the post-conquest Fremen society is portrayed

Messiah has a scene where Paul explains to the audience that he is worse than a hundred Hitlers. Herbert dispenses with any kind of subtlety real quick.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

hardcore is just punk with band members who practice more often

woke operator
Nov 17, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AnimeIsTrash posted:

tahts teh same poo poo

ILL KILL YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

YaketySass posted:

That's actually made explicit in the sequels, the fremens bloodthirsty superstition is what causes the global jihad against Paul's wishes and he basically becomes christ

Then the later books become lovecraft level bigoted but for gay people. Herbert is kinda a oval office

Then the even later books I haven't read become even worse apparently. I should get around to them they sound insane

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

one piece of life advice I fully endorse is "it's never too early to stop reading Dune sequels"

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
my only knowledge of the dune sequels is a lovely mini series I watched like 20 years ago, and every new story beat sucked. dune wrapped up well enough, never felt like it needed a sequel.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I finished God Emperor of Dune two months ago, and... eugh. He talked like the redditor with the most karma, I was just begging anyone to shut him up. Not sure if I'll continue with the series.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Imo God emperor is the best one cause it's the most interestingly weird but God drat yeah you realise what a prick Herbert is irl which he's kept moooostly hidden up until then

Though Paul's sisters arc is pretty eyebrow raising before that imo

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Really, you can just stop reading after the first book and you’re good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

hardcore and punk rock were both created durting dr. yakubs experiments in creating the white race