Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

America had completely accepted mass shootings and didn’t care at all.

That's probably the most traumatizing thing about the whole situation for people not directly affected. Same way public health was sacrificed on the Economy altar to COVID. "No, your children don't matter. No, your health doesn't matter. Support the economy!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

It’s fear to take away the one thing that equalizes the plebes and the bourgeoise at a time where the gap between them is expanding to historic highs. Cowards.
You are completely detached from reality or you have to explain how guns have made the USA a shining beacon for workers rights and social security. Especially compared to e.g. Scandinavian countries with restrictive gun laws.

The existence of guns in private hands just gives the cops an excuse to use excessive force. Look at the French, they can shut down their entire capital and don't need guns for that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
FT article says the economy isn't as bad as most americans think it is:
https://www.ft.com/content/9c7931aa-4973-475e-9841-d7ebd54b0f47

I dunno myself not being american, but I would be interested then to know why do people feel like this if things are so great?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

E; ^^^ That's been discussed at length among politicos and it bedevils the politicians who would quite like credit for handling a very dicey situation. The simplest answer is that household prices like food underwent a raid rise, and didn't come back down. They weren't ever going to, but people saw prices shot up and felt squeezed, and the reduction in squeezing is both slower and less dramatic because it comes out of growth. So many people are still squeezed, and an awful lot of people still feel very squeezed even if the objective measures say things are improving, because A) people remember bad events more easily than good processes and B) The most immediate problem of high prices visibly still persists and it's going to take a deal of economic growth and time for that to fade.

Agents are GO! posted:

I thought he got wiped out by Jenova

:golfclap: Well done. Well done, I say.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Dec 4, 2023

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

His Divine Shadow posted:

FT article says the economy isn't as bad as most americans think it is:
https://www.ft.com/content/9c7931aa-4973-475e-9841-d7ebd54b0f47

I dunno myself not being american, but I would be interested then to know why do people feel like this if things are so great?
Because almost 50% of the population get their news from Fox, OANN and other right wing echo chambers, who shout that things are always terrible (because a Democratic president) and need not concern themselves with any correlation to reality.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiny Timbs posted:

You are seriously underestimating the amount of violent threats kids have to deal with at school if you're only looking at numbers for mass shootings. Bomb threats were a regular occurrence back when I was in middle school.

I grew up with shooter drills. Alright class pack up over behind this desk barrier and wait to die! That was lovely enough, and kids now have it even worse, with like, school shooter larping, simulated gunshots and kids playing dead in the halls. It's insane and disgusting.

Unrelated to our gun problem: anyone else gotten scammed by doordash recently? My wife and I noticed that our US checking account was getting charged a tenner per month for a dashpass that we hadn't noticed. And thank god, we are doing ok enough that the 10 bucks isn't life or death. But thing is, we never signed up for a dashpass. We never even used doordash. Our last listed use of it was august last year, 2022, when we ordered WingStop and they use doordash instead of hiring drivers I guess. But it apparently auto-enrolls you into the premium dashpass subscription thing and gently caress that that is legal. We're lucky, not even using that bank account much anymore, it's the USA account, not even using USD anymore mostly, but like, that unwanted untold ten dollars absolutely can and will gently caress people over who need every ten. And complaining and explaining at length only got us refunded this december's ten bucks, not the many months before that which will take more time on the phone according to everyone who's been through this. What in the absolute gently caress makes this ok?

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

uPen posted:

Your example of one kid injuring another in the parking lot would be an incredibly traumatizing event for every student and parent at that school. The school would immediately get locked down, cops would swarm all over it and every parent is going to get a text from their kid 'The school is locked down, someone was shot.' Nobody was killed and nobody else was in any danger, but because we live in America everyone just gets to live with that trauma forever.

Traumatizing for whom? For you, perhaps, but not most people.

We had a similar event happen in my high school (accidental discharge in parking lot, kid got shot in the leg) and all that happened was that the kid who got shot got made fun of and called “Cheddar Bob”. People will respond much differently to a murderous school shooting and an accidental discharge.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Bluth posted:

Because almost 50% of the population get their news from Fox, OANN and other right wing echo chambers, who shout that things are always terrible (because a Democratic president) and need not concern themselves with any correlation to reality.

Maybe it’s the fact that the costs of living have skyrocketed in the past few years? No couldn’t be, must be the “right wing echo chambers” who are deceiving their viewers :rolleyes:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I grew up with shooter drills. Alright class pack up over behind this desk barrier and wait to die! That was lovely enough, and kids now have it even worse, with like, school shooter larping, simulated gunshots and kids playing dead in the halls. It's insane and disgusting.

Unrelated to our gun problem: anyone else gotten scammed by doordash recently? My wife and I noticed that our US checking account was getting charged a tenner per month for a dashpass that we hadn't noticed. And thank god, we are doing ok enough that the 10 bucks isn't life or death. But thing is, we never signed up for a dashpass. We never even used doordash. Our last listed use of it was august last year, 2022, when we ordered WingStop and they use doordash instead of hiring drivers I guess. But it apparently auto-enrolls you into the premium dashpass subscription thing and gently caress that that is legal. We're lucky, not even using that bank account much anymore, it's the USA account, not even using USD anymore mostly, but like, that unwanted untold ten dollars absolutely can and will gently caress people over who need every ten. And complaining and explaining at length only got us refunded this december's ten bucks, not the many months before that which will take more time on the phone according to everyone who's been through this. What in the absolute gently caress makes this ok?

You prolly very clearly signed up for a free 1 month trial to the premium doordash service with that wing stop order and then you forgot to cancel it and then forgot about it completely.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Top G posted:

Traumatizing for whom? For you, perhaps, but not most people.

We had a similar event happen in my high school (accidental discharge in parking lot, kid got shot in the leg) and all that happened was that the kid who got shot got made fun of and called “Cheddar Bob”. People will respond much differently to a murderous school shooting and an accidental discharge.

Probably makes a difference when you were in high school. If you've got reoccurring active shooter drills, some kid getting shot in the parking lot is going to effect you to a different degree than if you graduated high school before Columbine.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

The Top G posted:

Maybe it’s the fact that the costs of living have skyrocketed in the past few years? No couldn’t be, must be the “right wing echo chambers” who are deceiving their viewers :rolleyes:
Nobody has claimed the economy is where it should be, and the improvement isn't being shared fairly. But the article raises there's a big difference between how political affiliation affects people's assessment. And both the GOP and the right wing media are past debating in good faith. Their viewers are absolutely incorrectly informed about the state of the world.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Bluth posted:

Nobody has claimed the economy is where it should be, and the improvement isn't being shared fairly. But the article raises there's a big difference between how political affiliation affects people's assessment. And both the GOP and the right wing media are past debating in good faith. Their viewers are absolutely incorrectly informed about the state of the world.
They're just blatently lying

https://www.nber.org/system/files/working_papers/w31010/w31010.pdf#page=48

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BabyFur Denny posted:

You are completely detached from reality or you have to explain how guns have made the USA a shining beacon for workers rights and social security. Especially compared to e.g. Scandinavian countries with restrictive gun laws.

The existence of guns in private hands just gives the cops an excuse to use excessive force. Look at the French, they can shut down their entire capital and don't need guns for that.

You have wrong ideas about both french protests and french gun ownership rates

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

The Top G posted:

Is there a reason it can't be both, with right wing propaganda exacerbating the problem? Propaganda works and all Fox ever does is lie about the other side.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Moktaro posted:

They were never the same after Peter Cetera left.

I hope you mean Terry Kath because Peter Cetera suuuuuuccckkkkkssss.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Bird in a Blender posted:

I hope you mean Terry Kath because Peter Cetera suuuuuuccckkkkkssss.

Terry Kath only left the band in a metaphysical sense

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

BabyFur Denny posted:

Jan 6th had no action with guns despite a bunch of gun enthusiasts being a part of the cause and packing.

Police have no qualms using excessive force if you don’t have a gun. It’s no excuse there either.

Your first question is a straw man that’s not faithful to touch.

The 2nd was always a fight to maintain freedom against those who opposed it. That oppressor was government in the founding father’s eyes. Early writings sought to disband any standing armies in the time of peace because they viewed them as inherently problematic. Instead, keep the populace vigilant and ready to go. James Madison inherently distrusted the fed and thought states could put up a fight against them (until the civil war put this idea down by force but never touched this part of the constitution). Now the fed has a de facto standing police force to dissuade any rebellion with the FBI, ATF, and CIA acting illegally. https://constitution.congress.gov/browse/essay/amdt2-2/ALDE_00013262/

Wealth inequality has dwarfed what is was in the founding years. The oppressor has shifted away from government. That’s why the argument has shifted away. https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/09/us-income-inequality-its-worse-today-than-it-was-in-1774/262537/

Scandinavia doesn’t happen because of their policies on guns. That’s an assertion that needs far more support.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Fuschia tude posted:

Terry Kath only left the band in a metaphysical sense

He went out like a true American.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

The 2nd was always a fight to maintain freedom against those who opposed it. That oppressor was government in the founding father’s eyes. Early writings sought to disband any standing armies in the time of peace because they viewed them as inherently problematic. Instead, keep the populace vigilant and ready to go. James Madison inherently distrusted the fed and thought states could put up a fight against them (until the civil war put this idea down by force but never touched this part of the constitution). Now the fed has a de facto standing police force to dissuade any rebellion with the FBI, ATF, and CIA acting illegally. https://constitution.congress.gov/browse/essay/amdt2-2/ALDE_00013262/

The 2nd amendment doesn’t exist because of generic “freedom”, unless it’s specifically about the “freedom” to own slaves. I would highly recommend for you to read “The Second: Race and Guns in a Fatally Unequal America” by Carol Anderson. It’s a really good book and is extremely informative about the history of the 2nd amendment.

TLDR: The 2nd amendment was created so slave owners would be able to squash any slave rebellions/etc

Kalit fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 4, 2023

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Kalit posted:

The 2nd amendment doesn’t exist because of generic “freedom”, unless it’s specifically about the “freedom” to own slaves. I would highly recommend for you to read “The Second: Race and Guns in a Fatally Unequal America” by Carol Anderson. It’s a really good book and is extremely informative about the history of the 2nd amendment.

TLDR: The 2nd amendment was created so slave owners would be able to squash any slave rebellions/etc

Don't forget about the freedom of settler colonizers to have access to weapons in order to displace Natives.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Fighting Trousers posted:

Don't forget about the freedom of settler colonizers to have access to weapons in order to displace Natives.

Hmmm... I might be wrong, but I figured that would have less to do with the second amendment since the full government was united against displacing Native Americans. Whereas it was not fully united on slavery, so slaveowners were scared that they wouldn't have government support if an uprising occurs.

As far as that Carol Anderson book, I don't think it mentioned much about Native Americans being a factor in that amendment. It at least definitely wasn't mentioned as a major factor. But it's been a little bit since I've read it, so I could be wrong.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Kalit posted:

This is some revisionist and reductionist nonsense. The Massachusetts incumbent where the origin of the law comes from (see link last post) has nothing to do with slaves. Slavery was banned in Massachusetts a decade prior to the amendment being ratified. Sure, the plantation owners would’ve taken advantage of it to maintain slavery, but that doesn’t undermine its purpose.

Legally speaking’s it’s attributed with Heller to English Bill of Rights of 1689 that was all about Protestants takeover and revolution in the homeland.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

This is some revisionist and reductionist nonsense. The Massachusetts incumbent where the origin of the law comes from (see link last post) has nothing to do with slaves. Slavery was banned in Massachusetts a decade prior to the amendment being ratified. Sure, the plantation owners would’ve taken advantage of it to maintain slavery, but that doesn’t undermine its purpose.

Legally speaking’s it’s attributed with Heller to English Bill of Rights of 1689 that was all about Protestants takeover and revolution in the homeland.

What specific objections do you have to what Carol Anderson presented in the book that I recommended? It's filled with very specific sources and citations and seems to have high praise in general.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 4, 2023

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
What's annoying is that gas is falling like a friggin' stone and it doesn't seem to be helping Biden's approval ratings at all. It's like political sentiment currently has a ratchet effect where things can make people hate a politician or party more, but nothing can make them like them more or even hate them less***. For example, there are a lot of people on the online left who decided they hated Joe Biden in 2019 and most haven't moved one millimeter off their position, despite him objectively governing far to the left of what they had said they expected. They'd sooner believe a fanciful, inaccurate version of what Biden actually does and does not support then consider that maybe he's, if not good, a lot better than they thought.

*** Actually, it occurred to me that there is one thing, which Trump has done - disappear and have voters not think about you for a while. A lot of people will forget they hate you surprisingly fast. (Anybody poll Hillary Clinton's favorability recently?)

The Top G posted:

This "you just think the voters are a bunch of DUMMIES" thing comes up every time somebody points out the disconnect between economic indicators and economic sentiment, and it's starting to feel a little strawmanny.

The dissatisfaction is very much because cost of living has "skyrocketed" in the last few years. I don't think anybody is having trouble understanding why people are upset, it's more a matter of why things that should be making them happy to cancel out that frustration (strong job market, generally strong wage gains, high levels of personal satisfaction with finances) aren't.

My theory is, although wages are up overall over the course of Biden's presidency, that is largely concentrated among...

1. People who got big raises because they're in competitive fields, and could move laterally or threaten to do so.

2. Low income workers who change jobs fairly frequently and have had their wages rise rapidly because of high demand for low income workers.

Which leaves you with 3. Everybody else, who is paying the high prices without their incomes going up to the same degree, and there's no particular reason to expect them to feel great at the moment.

Remember that it doesn't take a huge chunk of the population to sink these numbers - Republicans are pretty much giving the economy a Goose Egg, as is to be expected, but so are people under 30. Somebody posted a chart the other day showing the age breakdown of economic sentiment - non-Republican boomers are actually fairly ecstatic, while basically the only people under 30 who are happy are the graduating classes at Ivies.

Assuming that prices rise much more slowly or in some cases even fall, those people will probably feel better. People who get raises and don't feel like it's all immediately being cancelled out will probably feel better.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Yeah, if anybody thinks Republican approval would be the same (i.e. 0%) on the economy without a right wing media to tell them how they feel, I dunno what to tell them.

mobby_6kl posted:

They're just blatently lying
Don't Gotta Hand It To Them, but wages were falling when that tweet was posted in Feb '22. Not anymore, though.

It's also worth remembering that while wage decreases are very bad, they also are not a super unusual thing in the economy, nor is economic sentiment always horrible when wages are falling. Wages were falling for most of Reagan's presidency.

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 4, 2023

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Kalit posted:

What specific objections do you have to what Carol Anderson presented in the book that I recommended? It's filled with very specific sources and citations and seems to have high praise in general.

It’s entire premise.. You’re going to need to bring out counter arguments. A series of reductionist examples of white people scared of black folk doesn’t not add up to overturning historical precedent about fighting against the crown. The book is a historians equivalent to calling someone a racist to win an argument, that’s a strawman from the get go. It’s disingenuous to claim the purpose of the 2nd was to maintain slavery when that was only something that was even relevant to the southern colonies at the time that made up ~35% of the white population, depending how you draw lines in Virginia.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Kalit posted:

I'm pretty willing to acknowledge that you might be right on this, or rather Carol Anderson is, but you can't just give someone a reading assignment to win a debate. Can you pull out some of the arguments she makes, or at least find a book review that summarizes them or something so I can get a basic idea of the supports she's using?

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

It’s entire premise.. You’re going to need to bring out counter arguments. A series of reductionist examples of white people scared of black folk doesn’t not add up to overturning historical precedent about fighting against the crown. The book is a historians equivalent to calling someone a racist to win an argument, that’s a strawman from the get go. It’s disingenuous to claim the purpose of the 2nd was to maintain slavery when that was only something that was even relevant to the southern colonies at the time that made up ~35% of the white population, depending how you draw lines in Virginia.

Have you read the book? If so, once again, please use specific excerpts so I can understand what you're objecting to and to help us not talk past each other.

If not, I don't understand why you're writing it off without even taking a look at it to understand what you're trying to argue against. Based on your stance of the bolded part here:

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

it seems like you don't even understand the premise of what Carol Anderson presents in The Second.

E:

shimmy shimmy posted:

I'm pretty willing to acknowledge that you might be right on this, or rather Carol Anderson is, but you can't just give someone a reading assignment to win a debate. Can you pull out some of the arguments she makes, or at least find a book review that summarizes them or something so I can get a basic idea of the supports she's using?

Absolutely, thank you for asking! NPR has a good interview of Carol Anderson regarding it. Here's the part that shows a brief glimpse of the writing of the second amendment (the book goes into much more detail, of course)

quote:

On the crafting of the Second Amendment at the Constitutional Convention

It was in response to the concerns coming out of the Virginia ratification convention for the Constitution, led by Patrick Henry and George Mason, that a militia that was controlled solely by the federal government would not be there to protect the slave owners from an enslaved uprising. And ... James Madison crafted that language in order to mollify the concerns coming out of Virginia and the anti-Federalists, that they would still have full control over their state militias — and those militias were used in order to quell slave revolts. ... The Second Amendment really provided the cover, the assurances that Patrick Henry and George Mason needed, that the militias would not be controlled by the federal government, but that they would be controlled by the states and at the beck and call of the states to be able to put down these uprisings.

E2: VVVV

Kagrenak posted:

This is as annoying as Mid-Life Crisis' terrible posts and constant misrepresentation of data that clearly doesn't support their points. Don't cite an entire loving book and say someone has to refute all the things presented within, it's argument terminating. Post some excerpts or restate the arguments with easier to access citations. I'll help out here because Mid-Life Crisis is deeply wrong in saying the second amendment had nothing to do with it.

Here's a link to a book review with some broad overviews of the claims made within the book you could have linked to:

https://clcjbooks.rutgers.edu/books/the-second-race-and-guns-in-a-fatally-unequal-america/

Here's a NYT article with more direct quotes from the time about the conversation around the second amendment, which was largely about enabling the states to arm their slave rebellion crushing militias:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/24/opinion/second-amendment-slavery-james-madison.html

Unfortunately, from the first couple of replies, I could not tell if Mid-Life Crisis had read or had not read the book. Per D&D rules, I had to assume they were posting in good faith and weren't blindly writing off sources that they never read. I've gotten probed a bit too much for my liking recently, so I'm trying to strictly abide by these rules.

Kalit fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Dec 4, 2023

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Kalit posted:

This is as annoying as Mid-Life Crisis' terrible posts and constant misrepresentation of data that clearly doesn't support their points. Don't cite an entire loving book and say someone has to refute all the things presented within, it's argument terminating. Post some excerpts or restate the arguments with easier to access citations. I'll help out here because Mid-Life Crisis is deeply wrong in saying the second amendment had nothing to do with it.

Here's a link to a book review with some broad overviews of the claims made within the book you could have linked to:

https://clcjbooks.rutgers.edu/books/the-second-race-and-guns-in-a-fatally-unequal-america/

Here's a NYT article with more direct quotes from the time about the conversation around the second amendment, which was largely about enabling the states to arm their slave rebellion crushing militias:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/24/opinion/second-amendment-slavery-james-madison.html

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
What specific objections do you have to http://en.wikipedia.org It's filled with very specific sources and citations and seems to have high praise in general.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Why do we give a poo poo about what the authors of the constitution and 2nd amendment thought about government at this point. They’re not above reproach, don’t give me this appeal to authority poo poo

The day militant leftists rise up with their AR-15s to overthrow the capitalist government and bring about communist utopia is the day I give them any credit for being pro gun because in the meantime they’re just another group who loves their death toys and fantasizes about using them on their enemies but will never actually do anything but yell about how much they like guns and will justify the horrific numbers because of vague reasons

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Misunderstood posted:

Don't Gotta Hand It To Them, but wages were falling when that tweet was posted in Feb '22. Not anymore, though.

It's also worth remembering that while wage decreases are very bad, they also are not a super unusual thing in the economy, nor is economic sentiment always horrible when wages are falling. Wages were falling for most of Reagan's presidency.
That tweet is from February (or maybe May) 2023 :confused:

And even if wages were down by a fraction of a percent in one quarter, that would be still substantially lying. And if they were down noticabely for a few quarters, as you say, it just happens periodically in the economy as we can see from the same chart.

quote:

Which leaves you with 3. Everybody else, who is paying the high prices without their incomes going up to the same degree, and there's no particular reason to expect them to feel great at the moment.
Oh hello! Yeah I don't know how common this is in the US but in the tech field here we didn't have the same boom at the start of the pandemic, then had double-digit inflation, and then there were layoffs in the sector so negotiation position was pretty poo poo. Unless you happened to get a promotion during this timeframe, ur hosed.

Levitate posted:

Why do we give a poo poo about what the authors of the constitution and 2nd amendment thought about government at this point. They’re not above reproach, don’t give me this appeal to authority poo poo

The day militant leftists rise up with their AR-15s to overthrow the capitalist government and bring about communist utopia is the day I give them any credit for being pro gun because in the meantime they’re just another group who loves their death toys and fantasizes about using them on their enemies but will never actually do anything but yell about how much they like guns and will justify the horrific numbers because of vague reasons
Any day now!

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 4, 2023

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Levitate posted:

Because modern cowardice is the main argument against it today. It’s not statistics. Look, I am adamantly opposed to McCarthyism and all that was done then. Just like I wont apologize for any slavery. Peoples rights is not a convenience to abuse to allow different self centered parties just to gain power. If you want to write off anyone pushing for peoples rights as a Fox News drone that must be racist, let’s get bait them into a racist trap they don’t even think about normally then attack, the problem lies with you, not them.

To say Madison used the prevailing sentiment to ensure the fed wouldn’t take over Virginia’s militia is not something I will disagree to. In fact, I allude to that being something obvious to them at the time in my previous post. So yes, it does seem like I do understand what’s going on in the book without reading it. Thank you for pulling that tidbit out, it appears I already had honed in on it.

The original source I cite shows origins that Madison took from Massachusetts legislature itself and to reduce that sentiment because southerns took advantage of the situation is reductionist.

Again, I never said slavery had nothing to do with it. It obviously did for those at the time who saw that as the way of life they were trying to preserve.

I merely point out that is not the sole origin nor motive for it being in our constitution, a majority settled onto it in the end, and the majority population adhered to the right after their experience fighting the crown.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
"peoples rights" is not a magic phrase that shields an argument from criticism. If you want to be able to own weapons of war as a private citizen, coincidentally the same weapons that are enabling horrific massacres of children and other innocents, you need to articulate a reason why, and "because the law says I can" is not even remotely sufficient.

The list of things that are/were legal but ethically indefensible is too long to even think about going through here.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Levitate posted:

Yeah, not just that but also literally nobody who is a strong second amendment supporter gives a crap if it was put in place because of slavery - it's not going to make anybody who is extremely pro-2A reconsider their stance, and might actually calcify views, as inflammatory (if accurate) framings tend to do. It's an important historical question but not super relevant to the current politics except as a historical case study.

mobby_6kl posted:

That tweet is from February (or maybe May) 2023 :confused:
There's my stellar attention to detail for you. To continue to be more fair to them then they deserve: although they had been rising for a few months at that point, wages were down overall in the Biden presidency. (Above Jan '21 levels now.)

People are still mad about high prices today, and some will be in a year, but I think Republicans are pretty mistaken if they think they are going to have inflation in 2021-22 win them an election in '24, not that elections haven't been decided by stupider things.

Maybe this is pedantic as poo poo, so sorry in advance, but this is generally used to refer to the Federal Reserve, not the federal government (which is more commonly shortened to "the feds.") I would like it if the federal government was called "the fed," because it's fun to say, and relevant to a lot more conversations than the Federal Reserve, but unfortunately that's not the case.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Median and above median are near zero increase. Median individual income is like 45 or 46 k.

The median has seen little to no increase in wages and all of the inflation. That’s very clearly indicated by the graph you posted. Median is between 1.00 and 1.02 now compared to January 2002.

This is bad, this is like the Elephant graph. It is absolutely insane. Here’s the second bit of information one needs to understand why nearly every one thinks the economy sucks. Being poor even with the wage real increase still sucks poo poo and still isn’t really livable.

Inflation also hasn’t been uniform. one can goto nearby stores (within 30 miles) in the same chain and see large variation a 200% variation on the single items. One can see the stocking of many generics is absent from some nearby stores in the same chain.

The data is good on “average“ folks specific conditions are are not averages. It’s the exact same situation as globalization and the elephant graph. It’s insane to make the same conceptual error, to be arrogant in the same way over and over again.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Median and above median are near zero increase. Median individual income is like 45 or 46 k.

The median has seen little to no increase in wages and all of the inflation. That’s very clearly indicated by the graph you posted. Median is between 1.00 and 1.02 now compared to January 2002.

This is bad, this is like the Elephant graph. It is absolutely insane. Here’s the second bit of information one needs to understand why nearly every one thinks the economy sucks. Being poor even with the wage real increase still sucks poo poo and still isn’t really livable.

Inflation also hasn’t been uniform. one can goto nearby stores (within 30 miles) in the same chain and see large variation a 200% variation on the single items. One can see the stocking of many generics is absent from some nearby stores in the same chain.

The data is good on “average“ folks specific conditions are are not averages. It’s the exact same situation as globalization and the elephant graph. It’s insane to make the same conceptual error, to be arrogant in the same way over and over again.

These numbers are already adjusted for inflation and the rest of your post doesn't matter because it doesn't explain the disconnect. All of the things you mentioned (disparity in which products see inflation, being poor sucks, inflation/shrinkflation hitting generic brands harder first) have been true in previous times of inflation or bad economic times and are currently true in Europe.

However, the economic sentiment indicators would still closely track quantitative economic measures (and still do in Europe, although their overall situation is quantitatively worse than ours), this correlation has broken in a way that isn't explainable through some new type of material condition. Because material conditions are good on balance, one would expect sentiment to be improving on balance. This is occurring if you ask people about their personal financial situation, but not if you ask people about the overall economic situation, which is extremely unusual.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

Again, I never said slavery had nothing to do with it. It obviously did for those at the time who saw that as the way of life they were trying to preserve.

I merely point out that is not the sole origin nor motive for it being in our constitution, a majority settled onto it in the end, and the majority population adhered to the right after their experience fighting the crown.

That is not at all what you said:

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It shows real (adjusted) wages increase for over half of the population, specifically the lower incomes which are the ones most struggling with "livable" income. Sucks for IT dorks in the 90th decile. Globalization usually hurts lower-skill/income people more. This is showing the opposite of that. Anyway, I was replying specifically to republicans making poo poo up, not to imply that everythin is super awesome.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

It shows real (adjusted) wages increase for over half of the population, specifically the lower incomes which are the ones most struggling with "livable" income. Sucks for IT dorks in the 90th decile. Globalization usually hurts lower-skill/income people more. This is showing the opposite of that. Anyway, I was replying specifically to republicans making poo poo up, not to imply that everythin is super awesome.

I think it actually proves the Republicans' point because they only care about rich people and their wages are down. Why can't you think of the suffering rich man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Kagrenak posted:

However, the economic sentiment indicators would still closely track quantitative economic measures (and still do in Europe, although their overall situation is quantitatively worse than ours), this correlation has broken in a way that isn't explainable through some new type of material condition. Because material conditions are good on balance, one would expect sentiment to be improving on balance. This is occurring if you ask people about their personal financial situation, but not if you ask people about the overall economic situation, which is extremely unusual.
This probably isn't the whole answer, but somebody suggested that people are just kind of miserable and exhausted because of the two very, very recent years where an extra half million people died than normal, and where we had to worry about giving people a deadly disease every time we left the house, and that it's making them answer pretty much every "Thing sucks? y/n" question in the affirmative. The same way it's making people drive like poo poo.

I don't even think it applies to the entire population, or even most - but there is a large subset that was not mentally prepared to handle something like the pandemic, for whom it shattered an illusion of security that was never actually there, and those people are pretty out of sorts right now. As people who were already relatively informed and cynical, we're capable of looking at the problems with the economy right now and acknowledging that they're really nothing new, but there are a lot of people who just never noticed them until the pandemic.

As for why this would be more pronounced in the US...? We did have a higher Covid death rate than other comparable countries. And although our government's economic response was strong, we may have "come together" less than people in other countries, in a sense, for the same reasons Americans usually do (cult of individualism, demographic heterodoxy.) And I think it is very, very significant that we have such a powerful right wing media in this country, not just for the coverage it exposes people to but for the inevitable effect it has on mainstream coverage as well.