Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I hardly think all those people suffering under the evil Danish crusaders appreciated anything about that harsh flag design.

They certainly didn't after we liberated them
if they had any sense :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

the baltic cross flags are all cute youre like a fun lil club that loves reliant k and sunday services

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
did somebody say baltic cross??

BonHair posted:

Introducing my Icelandic neighbours to rødgrød med fløde with the cream cross blew their mind. I don't know if Swedes do blæbårsuppe with præstost, but that sounds gross

the fun thing about danish is I don't know if these are real foods or just a bit cramming all the letters in there

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 4, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Swedes are having a slapfight and it's almost as funny as the English having a slapfight.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

the fun thing about danish is I don't know if these are real foods or just a bit cramming all the letters in there
It's a dessert that shares its colors with the Danish flag, while simultaneously being a Danish shibboleth.

It is the perfect nationalist dish.

The Swedish dish is made up though, but just as the most sensible Swedish version of the above. I suppose it could be blårbærgrød med smør?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Peanut Butler posted:

the baltic cross flags are all cute youre like a fun lil club that loves reliant k and sunday services

They all have these cross flags, yet they're one of the most secular parts of the world. Classic case of 'gently caress you dad' on a national scale

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's a dessert that shares its colors with the Danish flag, while simultaneously being a Danish shibboleth.

It is the perfect nationalist dish.

It's red berries and sugar and water basically, boiled a bit. But the picture is bad, the cream needs to be in a cross shape for obvious reasons.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BonHair posted:

It's red berries and sugar and water basically, boiled a bit. But the picture is bad, the cream needs to be in a cross shape for obvious reasons.
The closest I could find was a low-resolution preview picture of what was clearly an edible version of the flag of Savoy.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
ok i knew the pronunciation would be fun with all those øs but wow that sure is a series of sounds https://forvo.com/word/r%C3%B8dgr%C3%B8d_med_fl%C3%B8de/#da

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Angepain posted:

ok i knew the pronunciation would be fun with all those øs but wow that sure is a series of sounds https://forvo.com/word/r%C3%B8dgr%C3%B8d_med_fl%C3%B8de/#da
I was going to be all like "they're missing the truly Danish pronunciation", but I see that it's included in the bonus example where it's part of a longer sentence.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

does the Flying Jacob have a blue component? banana means the yellow part is covered

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I was going to be all like "they're missing the truly Danish pronunciation", but I see that it's included in the bonus example where it's part of a longer sentence.

Every time a Dane uses a stød an angel dies.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

A Buttery Pastry posted:

So what you're saying is that it's also deceitful.

Maybe they just need an alternate dark version for winter

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Snowy posted:

Maybe they just need an alternate dark version for winter

We did, it got replaced in 1905 with the light blue+yellow version. The original swedish flag was dark navy blue and gold. It looks more regal and dignified but also, you know. Oppressive.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
the government of kyrgyzstan is trying to change the flag because the current one is "too sunflower-y". or because it's a bunch of right-wing popularists prone to stupid gestures that look important

(current one on the left)

the public is generally displeased

https://twitter.com/_24_kg/status/1731907030854549601

https://twitter.com/Blue_Domes/status/1731701701684437392

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It reminds me of the Xbox cheevo symbol, but it's a cool flag regardless. I don't see why you would want to change it.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Phlegmish posted:

It reminds me of the Xbox cheevo symbol, but it's a cool flag regardless. I don't see why you would want to change it.

the colors are good as is, but the symbol isn't simple enough

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm a big fan of the shade of red that is second from right if it needed changing, but

Phlegmish posted:

I don't see why you would want to change it.

I don't think &nyone actually does

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ChubbyChecker posted:

You say this about every flag.

Peak performance flag according to CC:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Phlegmish posted:

ChubbyChecker posted:

the symbol is great, it's looking through a yurt roof at the sun, whose rays correspond to the number of tribes united by Manas to form the Kyrgyz nation in their eponymous national epic

sure, not as simple as a basic-rear end cross, but it wraps up a lot of meaning in a very small number of components

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Kyrgyzstan flag depicts the sacred final boule from the petanque game in which they won their independence

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

The Kyrgyzstan flag depicts the sacred final boule from the petanque game in which they won their independence

Petanqistan does have a ring to it I must say

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

the government of kyrgyzstan is trying to change the flag because the current one is "too sunflower-y". or because it's a bunch of right-wing popularists prone to stupid gestures that look important
"Oh no, the symbol on our flag looks to much like a powerful and pretty flower" <-- The complaint of an absolute madman.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Phlegmish posted:

You say this about every flag.

Peak performance flag according to CC:

the old royal french flag is elegant in its simplicity, but ofc i understand that it has been marred when the nazis and confederates started using it

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

the old royal french flag is elegant in its simplicity, but ofc i understand that it has been marred when the nazis and confederates started using it

How many wars have you won lately

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
"symbol needs to be simple" means that like, when a kid draws it you need to be able to tell they what they were trying to draw, not that they need to be able to draw it 100% accurately.

kyrgyzstan symbol is fine

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Imo the Kyrgyzstan flag is one of the best in the world. It absolutely doesn't need changing.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Yeah the flag of Kyrgyzstan is a top tier flag.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

it's not bad, but all i can see when i look at it is the xbox logo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lutha Mahtin posted:

that’s what Phil Spencer wants you to think!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I get that you think that, being thousands of miles away, but like, everyone around here sees kyrgyz flag, in kyrgyz colours, prominently showing the emblem of the kyrgyz nation, not video game console logo from twenty years ago

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 9, 2023

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I get that you think that, being thousands of miles away, but like, everyone around here sees kyrgyz flag, in kyrgyz colours, prominently showing the emblem of the kyrgyz nation, not video game console logo from twenty years ago

Yeah, but no one even knows your "here" even exists.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

BonHair posted:

Perhaps the apparent problem of people denying the existence of Kyrgyzstan in whatever backwater you're stuck in could be addressed by the creation of some sort of identifiable emblem representing it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Unfortunately, most people outside of Central Asia are more familiar with Xbox than they are with Kyrgyzstan.

Not me though, I'm a goontellectual and I don't even own a console

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Kyrgyzstan should sue Microsoft for trademark infringement.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

EasilyConfused posted:

Just like the time Greece wanted the homosexual woman to use a different word, since a lesbian is obviously a person from Lesbos

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BonHair posted:

This is a fair point, but also this is DnD. I'm not here for facts and logic, I'm here to flagsplain loudly at the internet!

e: also though Central Asia kinda rocks and is underrated, y'all should visit. I really love it here :)

but like visit in six months or so, it's pretty fucken cold atm

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Dec 10, 2023

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

EasilyConfused posted:

As a proposed remedy, rename the infringing product the KyrgyzBox.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

BonHair posted:

Just like the time Greece wanted the homosexual woman to use a different word, since a lesbian is obviously a person from Lesbos

They're only Lesbians only if they're from Lesbos, otherwise they're sparkling sapphics. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

check out this old flag nerd

From crayons to Capitol advocacy, a Minnesota flag enthusiast nears moment of triumph