Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
My housewarming party just ended. Four hours, nine people, three Conway Airmegas. All eating in the garage. Everyone fully masked indoors. I stayed masked the whole time. The kid was in her room with an Airmega outside her door.

I have a little tickle in my nose and a wee tiny headache.

I'm gonna be a wreck for the next ten days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

SardonicTyrant posted:

Ok, I won't give up. I think I got an order place for it for tmrw

:hellyeah:

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Hungry Squirrel posted:

My housewarming party just ended. Four hours, nine people, three Conway Airmegas. All eating in the garage. Everyone fully masked indoors. I stayed masked the whole time. The kid was in her room with an Airmega outside her door.

I have a little tickle in my nose and a wee tiny headache.

I'm gonna be a wreck for the next ten days.

Covid may be the most contagious virus we know of but it’s still not anywhere near guaranteed. you took apt precautions and did the best you could. stay positive, you’re not gonna get got

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

are expired RATs useless or just ‘less reliable’? also if the box label shows it is expired but the vials inside have a non expired date does that matter?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Solarin posted:

are expired RATs useless or just ‘less reliable’? also if the box label shows it is expired but the vials inside have a non expired date does that matter?

They might be extended, you can check here: https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/home-otc-covid-19-diagnostic-tests

Otherwise I think the failure mode would usually be failure to detect, but I don't know. Zugzwang or Bastard Tetris might though.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Hungry Squirrel posted:

(..)
Four hours, nine people, three Conway Airmegas.
(..)

I'm old enough to remember when it was just 2 girls, 1 cup.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I thought about trying a 12 Days of Christmas thing, but that takes effort and I just threw a party and I'm exhausted.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I thought about trying a 12 Days of Christmas thing, but that takes effort and I just threw a party and I'm exhausted.

Fingers crossed you got through it unscathed; in all likelihood you did :)

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Pingui posted:

They might be extended, you can check here: https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/home-otc-covid-19-diagnostic-tests

Otherwise I think the failure mode would usually be failure to detect, but I don't know. Zugzwang or Bastard Tetris might though.

I thought I remembered Zugzwang a while back saying that if the control line shows properly, the test is valid. so no real way to know before taking the test if you're past expiration, but you can just take it and judge validity by the control line.

again I might be wrong but I thought someone who actually knows this kinda poo poo said similar so grain of salt

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
stick your rats in the fridge

mine are a year past expiration and when I thaw them out and test them they still get a strong C line

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Pingui posted:

Zug likely knows more than me but the test materials do degrade over time, but a little secret of drug discovery is the expiration dates are generally how long they want to pay for testing.

If the control line’s good you’re likely good, remember the RATs are less accurate than the nucleic acid based ones.

Meanwhile:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2023.11.26.568730v1

Preprint just hit claiming the opposite of the imprinting of antibodies made after new bivalent vaccinations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Steve Yun posted:

mine are a year past expiration and when I thaw them out and test them they still get a strong C line

I took one a few days ago on the second anniversary of its expiry, or at least the one printed on the box.

The control line was robust.

It was in a drawer at room temperature this whole time.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

:snoo:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I took the test and the control line was visible but very faint, and zero trace of the test line. Can’t do much about acquiring new tests in the short term, so I’ll just use another one of these tomorrow and give it another chance to throw a positive. Thanks for the info folks

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Solarin posted:

I took the test and the control line was visible but very faint, and zero trace of the test line. Can’t do much about acquiring new tests in the short term, so I’ll just use another one of these tomorrow and give it another chance to throw a positive. Thanks for the info folks

Note that if you are in the US, your household can get 8 free tests; you can also use the free test to treat site to receive a test fairly rapidly and Paxlovid if it dings positive.

Also free Paxlovid ends 31 December, at which point the unused doses will be scrapped and the price will increase to $1400.

Free tests here: https://www.covid.gov/tests
Test to treat: https://www.test2treat.org/

Pingui has issued a correction as of 03:40 on Dec 4, 2023

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is it confirmed the date is the 31st?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1731063738021695999

This is a lockdown.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Thoguh posted:

Test2Treat is still going strong. We got a spare course for my wife this morning. Told them uninsured, unable to upload a picture of a positive test, and an hour later we got an email that a prescription had been sent to their mail order pharmacy for overnight shipping.

hell yeah (american)

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

honestly my favorite time of the year vis-a-vis the US Consumer Product Safety Commission

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://twitter.com/KimRigden/status/1731427483650547912
comments for your :psyduck: pleasure

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I’m just pleased to see a sip valve in the wild.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
me in the bg when i forget my mask

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I recently did a trip to Taiwan and back with my half-mask.

It bruised my nose :(

But I didn't get covid :)

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

fosborb posted:

honestly my favorite time of the year vis-a-vis the US Consumer Product Safety Commission

Turkey Fryer Immolation Speedrun 100%

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Mola Yam posted:

me in the bg when i forget my mask

he’s checking his fever temperature

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

who is this person and why is there a flood of covidiots in her replies

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

who is this person and why is there a flood of covidiots in her replies

IMC is targeting masks today :shrug:

https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1731557247061565468

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

IMC should have to wear a full face opaque mask. Upside down paper bag also acceptable.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Ian Miles "Incel Corner" Cheong

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

icantfindaname posted:

Is it confirmed the date is the 31st?

Yes, from Pfizer:

Pingui posted:

Impressive Friday afternoon news dump; I hope everyone enjoyed the tools while they had them.

And from the government (where the date isn't explicitly mentioned, but the timeline is):

Pingui posted:

Some details on the change to private market Paxlovid.

If anybody is so inclined here is the letter Becerra posted to the manufacturers about it:

Now nominally speaking access should still be possible, as mentioned in Becerra's letter to the industry, but I would personally be disinclined to be quite as optimistic as this:

https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2023...-community.html posted:

(..)
For Paxlovid, during this transition and through the end of 2024, people who are uninsured and those who have Medicare or Medicaid coverage will continue to access Paxlovid with no out-of-pocket costs through Pfizer’s new patient assistance program. Federal entities such as the Indian Health Service, the Department of Veterans Affairs, and the Department of Defense will retain access to Federally-acquired Paxlovid, as they have accessed the product for the last two years. We expect that individuals with private insurance will continue to be able to access Paxlovid as coverage is established over the next few months. Pfizer has also stated that it is setting up a co-pay savings program for those with private insurance, which will be independent of the patient assistance program.
(..)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Philadelphia is only banning ski masks for now, but I think that we all know that the laws won’t stop there, not in every city.

https://apnews.com/article/philadelphia-ski-mask-ban-4f2213f3551f85dfb94ecb7e7228580c

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Today I know personally 3 of my coworkers calling out sick today and I've never seen that many bus still parked at the yard this morning.

It's definitely here and hitting hard. Mask up and stay safe y'all

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Philadelphia is only banning ski masks for now, but I think that we all know that the laws won’t stop there, not in every city.

https://apnews.com/article/philadelphia-ski-mask-ban-4f2213f3551f85dfb94ecb7e7228580c

i'm looking forward to someone on chemo legally challenging our future national mask bans and then losing handily

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

Thoguh posted:

Test2Treat is still going strong. We got a spare course for my wife this morning. Told them uninsured, unable to upload a picture of a positive test, and an hour later we got an email that a prescription had been sent to their mail order pharmacy for overnight shipping.

I just tried for a second round using a different email, phone, and postal address; it actually started connecting me to a person. I do not want to talk to a person. I'm pretty sure I clicked the same options as last time, though. Is there a new choice-pattern that's more effective in getting a prescription without talking to a person?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Do I have to do anything special if my paxlovid arrives at CVS? Because it's not on my profile and the pharmacist over the phone said they don't see it, but I just got a call half an hour ago that it arrived at the store.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

SardonicTyrant posted:

Do I have to do anything special if my paxlovid arrives at CVS? Because it's not on my profile and the pharmacist over the phone said they don't see it, but I just got a call half an hour ago that it arrived at the store.

nah, should be able to just go pick up as long as you can verbally identify yourself (name, dob, phone, address). i think the pharmacy interfacing software some of the pax mills use is a little janky so weird little glitches like not attaching to your profile happen. but if you got the call, i'd go grab it

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

SardonicTyrant posted:

this sort of sounds like dealing with CVS for anything, tbh

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Soap Scum posted:

nah, should be able to just go pick up as long as you can verbally identify yourself (name, dob, phone, address). i think the pharmacy interfacing software some of the pax mills use is a little janky so weird little glitches like not attaching to your profile happen. but if you got the call, i'd go grab it
The pharmacist on the phone keeps saying it's not in, so idk

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I just tried for a second round using a different email, phone, and postal address; it actually started connecting me to a person. I do not want to talk to a person. I'm pretty sure I clicked the same options as last time, though. Is there a new choice-pattern that's more effective in getting a prescription without talking to a person?

FWIW my wife and I filled it out the same, and I ended up having to talk to someone on the phone and she didn't. I think the site is just glitchy, help told me that wasn't supposed to happen. Are they trying to connect you to a doctor or to customer service? I had a ten second call with a doctor - he just asked me if he was speaking to me, if my birthday was correct, and said sorry that I got infected and Paxlovid is on the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Pingui posted:

Note that if you are in the US, your household can get 8 free tests; you can also use the free test to treat site to receive a test fairly rapidly and Paxlovid if it dings positive.

Also free Paxlovid ends 31 December, at which point the unused doses will be scrapped and the price will increase to $1400.

Free tests here: https://www.covid.gov/tests
Test to treat: https://www.test2treat.org/

lmfao just remembered Psaki trying to be a master tactician when a reporter asked about sending tests to people.

"so what are we supposed to do? send a test to everyone in the country? then what?"

lmfao