Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

John Charity Spring posted:

you've seen the light of Workers & Resources and can never go back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

BearsBearsBears posted:

I think of the Ukraine war a surprising amount when playing. I was thinking of The Ghost of Kyiv when I was reading about Recon Rover Rick, "Mythology for Profit" indeed.

Yeah that quote comes to mind a lot since the propaganda war is so big on the Internet these days.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

'Fremen (Ukranian) Sample Units'

lol

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Fuligin posted:

'Fremen (Ukranian) Sample Units'

lol

The creators showing that they stopped reading after the first book; Paul ends up being space Hitler and the Fremen carrying out multiple genocides. Whoopsie!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

BadOptics posted:

Paul ends up being space Hitler and the Fremen carrying out multiple genocides. Whoopsie!

I'm pretty sure they finished the series then

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Atreides is Hitler 3

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

booting up humankind to try out mods and the new patches only to remember it has this weird persona thing that completely defines how the ai plays and there's basically been no expansion of personas on that front

upon trying to download a collection i discover that i have to personally discover and filter all fifty for myself out of a like 7000+ personas with gamer names like wtf i just want a nice collection of ais to futz around with and not have to deal with the predictable batch i've been playing with for a while

edit: filtering by admin, dev team, and moderator brings it down to a more manageable 60 personas but there's zero popularity ranking so i guess i'm just grabbing the personas on a first come first serve basis

Danann has issued a correction as of 23:04 on Dec 3, 2023

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Danann posted:

booting up humankind to try out mods and the new patches only to remember it has this weird persona thing that completely defines how the ai plays and there's basically been no expansion of personas on that front

upon trying to download a collection i discover that i have to personally discover and filter all fifty for myself out of a like 7000+ personas with gamer names like wtf i just want a nice collection of ais to futz around with and not have to deal with the predictable batch i've been playing with for a while

edit: filtering by admin, dev team, and moderator brings it down to a more manageable 60 personas but there's zero popularity ranking so i guess i'm just grabbing the personas on a first come first serve basis

don’t humankind’s modding tools basically boil down to xml editing? it feels like after firaxis decided not to release the DLL access for civ 6 it’s become standard for civ clones to have extremely limited modding. millennia has already been confirmed not to have any tools letting you code new functions

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

FrancisFukyomama posted:

don’t humankind’s modding tools basically boil down to xml editing? it feels like after firaxis decided not to release the DLL access for civ 6 it’s become standard for civ clones to have extremely limited modding. millennia has already been confirmed not to have any tools letting you code new functions

It would probably explain why the most impressive mod is some expanded warfare mod and no Civ-mode mod in sight. I did find a few mods that changed up the gameplay like the house district mod that reintroduced the old beta hamlet and the aforementioned expanded warfare mod.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
I just got a Steam Deck! Anybody know of any strategy games that control particularly well on it?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Oh they're just saying the quiet parts out loud

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
that game looks mechanically good and i wanted to play it and then i found out it's some more weird anti-russian poo poo

wonder how many of these types of games were going to get

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I'm bpretty sure that will be the only type of game Ukrainians will be making from now on.

I wonder who will be the first to make COD like FPS where you're the Nazis invading Russia

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

wasn’t stalker pretty ambivalent about it with the Ukrainian army as permanently hostile enemies and most of the characters being Russian speakers?
I seem to remember it being implied that Freedom and Duty were NATO and Russian proxies

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
okay if you're fighting the communists, what does that make you?

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

A traditionalist prodemocraticalist obviously.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

FrancisFukyomama posted:

wasn’t stalker pretty ambivalent about it with the Ukrainian army as permanently hostile enemies and most of the characters being Russian speakers?
I seem to remember it being implied that Freedom and Duty were NATO and Russian proxies

Freedom being a NATO proxy is all but outright stated by the game, Duty is strongly implied to have some kind of connection to the Ukrainian government (and in the code they're neutral to both the Ukrainian military and also the government-backed scientific expedition), and the game was made at a time when the NATO proxy and the Ukrainian military being in conflict with each other made sense

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol expect to see more like this from european devs. I seem to remember a Finnish Civil War (maybe “just”Winter War) game coming up, as well as the Baltic Wars, and Polish-Soviet War.

19th century nationalists wrote popular historical novels and created romantic paintings of (mythologized) historical scenes. 21st nationalists use videogames essentially the same way.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Regarde Aduck posted:

that game looks mechanically good and i wanted to play it and then i found out it's some more weird anti-russian poo poo

wonder how many of these types of games were going to get

a lot. Hows the gameplay?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

lol expect to see more like this from european devs. I seem to remember a Finnish Civil War (maybe “just”Winter War) game coming up, as well as the Baltic Wars, and Polish-Soviet War.

19th century nationalists wrote popular historical novels and created romantic paintings of (mythologized) historical scenes. 21st nationalists use videogames essentially the same way.

yes. The epic paradox gamer nationalist is an archetype for a reason. I was interested in the game until I saw rimmy downunder's thumbnail for it.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Politically active.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

there was that Stalingrad boardgame that released last year a little after Ukraine popped off that had a negative review because it glorified Stalin or somesuch nonsense

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
a Polish studio recently put out a French Revolution game in which you play a revolutionary judge (think it was called We the Revolution?) and the game is overt reactionary monarchist propaganda, bad enough that I refunded it

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I played the demo. It was ok. But the very first thing you do is go to a mill to get grain, but it's on fire and you go to the house nearby and it was the Bolsheviks that burned the mill and shot the family or something.

I guess you were gonna pay for the grain if it wasn't on fire idk

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Like, the Czech legion is an interesting story to tell and good for this type of game, but the political message is straightforward when it could've instead offered the player the ability to interact with the various civil war sides the way they saw fit.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Minenfeld! posted:

Like, the Czech legion is an interesting story to tell and good for this type of game, but the political message is straightforward when it could've instead offered the player the ability to interact with the various civil war sides the way they saw fit.

Iirc the Czechs pissed off the Bolsheviks by reaching out to the Entente intervention forces or something?

They had been the anti-Austrian Czechs fighting for the Russians (alongside the anti-Austrian Poles) and so sided with the White Army, as well, if I remember the specific chain of events.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Minenfeld! posted:

I played the demo. It was ok. But the very first thing you do is go to a mill to get grain, but it's on fire and you go to the house nearby and it was the Bolsheviks that burned the mill and shot the family or something.

I guess you were gonna pay for the grain if it wasn't on fire idk

I posted about it a few days ago. it's not good gameplay-wise either imo

Yeah I played the demo of this during the last Steam Next Fest and even there the bonkers politics stood out. It really lays it on thick how the Bolsheviks are evil - they're all peasants acting as bandits and murdering people for no reason, and you meet a general who is the only one who's intelligent and is a moustache twirling manipulative kind. One instance that sticks in the mind is you find a farmhouse where the family has been killed because the Reds came to requisition grain and the farmer refused to give the amount they asked for, but then they left behind the grain afterwards because the murder was their real goal lol.

It's also just very badly written, overly verbose and full of puns or pop culture references in the objective names which clashes a lot with the serious story it wants to tell. It gives you separate objectives for each step of that farmhouse vignette for instance, from approaching the farm to opening the gate. I think the gate opening objective was titled Gate Of Fate or Door Of Doom, something like that. You just get barraged with this inane text all the time.

Also, while it wants to be historically informative (from its perspective), there was clearly a developer decision to be Gender Blind and so your Czech Legion has a 50/50 split of men and women. A liberal DEI fantasy version of history that's also got an educational mission, it's very odd. Gameplay-wise I found it frustrating and annoying to control, particularly in comparison to recent squad-control games like Aliens Dark Descent which are so much nicer to play. Something that stood out is that you had to individually order your soldiers to open crates of supplies where the Aliens game smartly just selects the closest soldier and sends them to the indicated supplies even if you queue up a bunch at once. In Last Train Home doing this interrupts your existing search orders so instead you sit for a minute shift-queuing these slow-rear end search orders then watching them play out while nothing else happens.

Combat seemed inferior to something like Partisans 1941 (another game it has genre commonalities with) and the metagame of directing the train through Russia... well, I can't really judge it as it was still in heavy tutorial railroading (sic) in the demo. Oh and it also ran like poo poo although that might have been improved since the demo build.

Not Good is the official JCS opinion

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Iirc the Czechs pissed off the Bolsheviks by reaching out to the Entente intervention forces or something?

They had been the anti-Austrian Czechs fighting for the Russians (alongside the anti-Austrian Poles) and so sided with the White Army, as well, if I remember the specific chain of events.

They were Czech POWs captured by the Imperial Russians who were offered the chance to fight for the Entente in exchange for an independent post-war Czech Republic. They were armed by the Entente to be used as cannon fodder on the Western front but when the provisional government collapsed someone, probably Churchill, had the bright idea to use them to support the Whites. They were not terribly enthusiastic about this, and were mostly concerned with getting out. The West didn't want their weapons to fall in the hands of the Reds and the Reds presumably wanted control of the railway so there was some skirmishing between them. Supposedly the presence of the Czechs at Yekaterinburg triggered the execution of the Tsar and his family since the Reds were worried the Czechs would try to free them on behalf of the Whites.

Ostensibly the US expedition to Vladivostok was to support the evacuation of the Czechs but we all know it was to prevent the Japanese from seizing the port since IIRC the US sent like 10,000 men and the Japanese sent 80,000.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

I posted about it a few days ago. it's not good gameplay-wise either imo

so it has ubisoft brain when it comes to history. Educational but not really.

At least CA continues to be good when it comes to their history blurbs. "yeah japanese combat wasn't honorable at all but it looks cool so we put it into the game." and "do you know the line infantry in shogun 2 carries the 1853 enfield rifle? It directly led to the sepoy mutiny."

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tankbuster posted:

"do you know the line infantry in shogun 2 carries the 1853 enfield rifle? It directly led to the sepoy mutiny."

Otoh, I desperately want a Victorian Total War game. Otoh, they couldn't bring themselves to really include slavery in Empire, I have no idea how they would possibly tackle the Victorian Era.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Frosted Flake posted:

Otoh, I desperately want a Victorian Total War game. Otoh, they couldn't bring themselves to really include slavery in Empire, I have no idea how they would possibly tackle the Victorian Era.

Sepoy mutiny becomes new Mughal empire becomes Indian England :getin:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

tbh while the game's economic aspect had little to no role for slavery in terms of design. It was at its core a game about having fancy line infantry shoot at each other supported by the puckle gun.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Fall of the Samurai rules because any individual late-game battle will have more casualties than the entire real-life Boshin War did

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It would be funny to do like John Company: Total War where you've still got the big battle and campaign mechanics but instead of the Civ esque empire building you're just trying to loot money and get your dipshit cousin the new governorship

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mister Bates posted:

Fall of the Samurai rules because any individual late-game battle will have more casualties than the entire real-life Boshin War did

Total War has this problem. Very noticeable in ToB.

I would speculate that battles determined by a morale system, and wars that aren't determined by one army crushing the other, are too hard.

Paradox struggles with this as well, I think really only AGEOD games come close.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

War games being made after world war 2 think of every war as a war of extermination to the last man standing.

Also the game ends so there's like no reason to have things such as an inconclusive peace.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
it would also be kinda boring if 90% of the army routs from a gameplay perspective. I just headcanon that its a 1:9 killed/wounded ratio

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Total War has this problem. Very noticeable in ToB.

Depends on the game. Rome, Empire/Napoleon, Three Kingdoms, etc have battles that are smaller than reality, sometimes by a lot.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mantis42 posted:

Depends on the game. Rome, Empire/Napoleon, Three Kingdoms, etc have battles that are smaller than reality, sometimes by a lot.

Which is the other side of the coin. I'd love for Napoleon to scale up, at least while we wait for the remaster of Scourge of War they're working on.

I think morale mechanics, like you see in war-games, Field of Glory would be an example, would be fun, you're still winning the battle and controlling the field at the end of the day. It takes a lot of skill to break the enemy before your own men break, and completely transforms the tactics and pace of a battle, versus trying to annihilate them. The JTS napoleons and Seven Years War game are good for this. A column at the right time and place can carry the day without even crossing bayonets. It's all about a threat materializing, so rather than battering away at the enemy line, or rolling it up, they'll give way if it seems like it will break the line in the right place, at the right moment.

I think that's just as engaging, right?

And a war that goes on into a campaign, because the bulk of armies survive battles, requires far more planning as far as logistics and manoeuvre go too.

Idk, I'm torn on this one. AGEOD campaign layer with a usable UI, and scourge of war battles... with a usable UI... would be the dream.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I genuinely think turn based gives you a lot better ways to do command/control friction than real time does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Mantis42 posted:

doesn’t Attila and Rome 2 use mostly realistic unit sizes, it’s just that there’d be 10x as many formations irl as there are in game which would probably also be pretty unmanageable