Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Lions fans, it's way too early in your ascent to be wailing and gnashing teeth. You've been Absolute Dogshit for literal decades; you're now Pretty Good only two years after going 3-13-1, and that's with a bad defense and Jared Goof at QB. If you can fix one of those two things, which you have time to do before aging/cap concerns start causing problems, you'll move up from like top-ten in the league to top-four. You'll be fine!

Gorson posted:

It's bonkers how this seems to happen every single year. By week 12 or so the Packers have UDFA's and castoffs at key secondary positions. They just can't keep people healthy back there going way back to Nick Collins. They have holes in their defense but I love the energy they are playing with right now.

Remember when Sam Shields came out of nowhere as an UDFA? Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I can't blame them, I was right there and I'm a Packers fan, I just wanted a solid showing to see that they are figuring their poo poo out.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

surf rock posted:

Lions fans, it's way too early in your ascent to be wailing and gnashing teeth. You've been Absolute Dogshit for literal decades; you're now Pretty Good only two years after going 3-13-1, and that's with a bad defense and Jared Goof at QB. If you can fix one of those two things, which you have time to do before aging/cap concerns start causing problems, you'll move up from like top-ten in the league to top-four. You'll be fine!

One of those two things is a pretty consequential part of why they are good in the first place

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Win a playoff game and I will stand firm and call Dan Campbell the best lions coach since Wayne "Big Buck" Fontes and likely the best coach since the 60s.

I think they have a pretty good shot if they're first or second seed, or whatever scenario is "don't immediately face the Cowboys or Niners" (I think/hope they have a decent chance against the Eagles)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
There's almost no scenario where the Lions face the Cowboys in the first round and it would be extremely hard for them to face the 49ers or Eagles in the first round without a truly epic collapse. They're likely the 2 or 3 seed, so, facing the 6 or 7 seed, whoever winds up filling that role.

I guess they technically still have a shot at the 1 seed, but I'm not holding my breath.

surf rock posted:

Go gently caress yourself, Goff rules.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Henchman of Santa posted:

One of those two things is a pretty consequential part of why they are good in the first place

I agree that if you remove Goff and add a below-average QB, the Lions dip to league-average or maybe a little worse. But if you remove Goff and add a great QB, the Lions ceiling rises.

I do believe y'all could win a Super Bowl with Goff, but it's gonna take everything else (including the defense) firing on all cylinders.

MJeff posted:

jesus christ you are so aggro all of the time

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

surf rock posted:

They've somehow managed to develop the castoffs better than their draft picks. The 'allentines are practice squad and a 7th round pick. Nixon was off-the-pile, Douglas was originally some other team's 3rd round pick that the Packers signed off a practice squad, who was then flipped for a 3rd round pick. That's a hell of a return. Compare it to the high draft picks that didn't make it and yielded almost no return:

Demarious Randall, Quentin Rollins, Ha-Ha (still have no idea what happened to his trajectory), Kevin King, Josh Jackson, Josh Jones

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
if the lions win a playoff game i can finally retire the shirt i have that says "the good old days" and has a cartoon version of this on it:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

MJeff posted:

[Steps up to mic and clears throat]
Jared Goof

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gorson posted:

They've somehow managed to develop the castoffs better than their draft picks. The 'allentines are practice squad and a 7th round pick. Nixon was off-the-pile, Douglas was originally some other team's 3rd round pick that the Packers signed off a practice squad, who was then flipped for a 3rd round pick. That's a hell of a return. Compare it to the high draft picks that didn't make it and yielded almost no return:

Demarious Randall, Quentin Rollins, Ha-Ha (still have no idea what happened to his trajectory), Kevin King, Josh Jackson, Josh Jones

I'm still mad about the year they took Ahmad Carroll & Joey Thomas with their first 2 picks.

Man, Mike Sherman being made GM as well as coach was such a bad decision.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

This is always a curse for whatever team they all pick.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Honestly this is pretty ideal Love I think has proven he can at least be a solid QB with room to go higher and the jets are awful so the Packers get a free high second rounder.

The only way it could go better is if Rodgers played and the jets sucked

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

In defense of Goff, I for sure would not be able to play a game very good if I was terrified of a gaggle of 250-350lb giants came blasting at me 30 times per game and would also want my o-line to keep me feeling safe

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

oshuaj posted:

Man this Packers team is fun to watch right now

yeah I think that was the most fun I've had watching a Packer game in years. I'll be honest the vibes of the Rodgers-LaFleur teams just never felt right, even when the team was good. like sure Rodgers can throw to Davante 20 times a game and probably win a bunch in the regular season but in the playoffs everyone knows how Rodgers is

tbh it was pretty hard to tell whether or not Jordan Love was any good most of the season, even vs. the Chargers you could say "well their defense sucked" (you mean, the same defense that just shut out the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS???), but these last two games he's looked amazing, in fact last night's game was the sort you'd see from Rodgers a lot. though to be fair the entire offense is playing way better not just him. the OL is giving him time! receivers are actually where they're supposed to be! they're actually executing those weird reverses instead of screwing up right off the snap!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean even though it was still a pretty rough game you could tell Matt made an adjustment in the Steelers game which started t down this path .

Which people live to poo poo on coaches being bad but the guy should get credit for seeing it wasn’t working and adjusting

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

if the lions win a playoff game i can finally retire the shirt i have that says "the good old days" and has a cartoon version of this on it:

The Greatest Show on Turf babey

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

CharlestheHammer posted:

The only way it could go better is if Rodgers played and the jets sucked

their turnaround does make me a little sad Rodgers got hurt because imagine how funny it would be if this historically inexperienced Packer team wound up with a better record than the Rodgers-led Jets superteam

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

btw have we gotten an update on Watson? looked like he blew a hammy or something but the way he was walking around on the sidelines after suggests maybe he just hit his knee really hard, that poo poo hurts

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

JAMOOOL posted:

btw have we gotten an update on Watson? looked like he blew a hammy or something but the way he was walking around on the sidelines after suggests maybe he just hit his knee really hard, that poo poo hurts

Rodgers walked to the locker room under his own power and his ACL decided to roll up like a window shade, so I wouldn't put much stock in that.

Was really bummed when Watson got hurt, he's gotten drastically better the last few games and last night it looked like everything finally clicked.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

JAMOOOL posted:

He was clutching his hamstring before any sort of hit on him. I wonder if it cramped or spasmed or something. He was also standing around and cheering in the locker room after the game. I'm anticipating something like he's probably gonna be out a couple weeks then be back at the end of the month.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

JAMOOOL posted:

... but these last two games he's looked amazing, in fact last night's game was the sort you'd see from Rodgers a lot.

Look at this clip!

https://twitter.com/RossUglem/status/1731713136997138875

Two players in his face ready to slam him into the ground and he just drops the ball perfectly in a window in between 3 defenders. Romeo barely had to put in any effort catching it.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

He was clutching his hamstring before any sort of hit on him. I wonder if it cramped or spasmed or something. He was also standing around and cheering in the locker room after the game. I'm anticipating something like he's probably gonna be out a couple weeks then be back at the end of the month.

It looked to me like he was making an effort to stay in bounds so was checking up and something popped so he just went down as soon as he felt it go.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Look at this clip!

https://twitter.com/RossUglem/status/1731713136997138875

Two players in his face ready to slam him into the ground and he just drops the ball perfectly in a window in between 3 defenders. Romeo barely had to put in any effort catching it.

There was another pass that Doubs dropped that was a laser through triple coverage and was on point, that would have been a dagger to KC had he caught it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I haven't had a chance to watch the game yet, but it's definitely concerning just how bad the defense appears to have performed - if the Saints hadn't given up that absolute gift of a fumble, the Lions could have easily lost a game that practically started with them 21 points ahead.

Obviously, a win is a win. But given the way the team has been performing these past few weeks, it's hard to be confident that they're going to keep winning, let alone win a playoff game. I just hope it's a temporary funk, and that the team is able to settle down the stretch. Though if Frank Ragnow ends up missing significant time... that's not gonna be great.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
they played way too conservative after going up 21-0

if the offense would've stuck to the gameplan that was working at the start, they could've kept scoring

it wasn't until the end when they went back to their starting offense that they could turn it on again

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The defense offering almost no resistance in the red zone is certainly concerning

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They also blew what would've been an interception when Branch made a play on the ball that 99.9% of DBs would have also made and it happened to bounce into Olave's hands.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
That's been a consistent issue all year too. Getting super conservative in the red zone with the lead cost them the Seattle. Combine that with Aaron Glenn's inability to make effective in-game adjustments and the result is we keep letting teams stay in games that have no business being as close as they are.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

if the offense would've stuck to the gameplan that was working at the start, they could've kept scoring

it wasn't until the end when they went back to their starting offense that they could turn it on again

Caldwell smiling in approval

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I’m still buzzing from last night. Crowd was great despite about a quarter of it being Chiefs fans. Our section stood the whole game and no geezers told us to sit down. Jordan Love is him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JzApYSx0Bk

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Last night was a real statement win from the Pack, the kind that sends a signal to the rest of the league: "We can hang with anybody on gameday, as long as our defenders are allowed to tackle receivers with the ball in midair in the red zone during 2 minute drills. Bring it on."

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 4, 2023

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Looking at tickets for Packers Giants next week, my god this Italian guy is really driving prices up

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

WARM SEASON'S GREETINGS TO YOU ALL FROM MENARD'S!

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Packers probably gonna end up with a win or two more than most thought.

Lions are fine, ok?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

It feels like a SF/PHI rematch is destined to be the NFCCG this year.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It feels like a SF/PHI rematch is destined to be the NFCCG this year.

What was the EPA on the Big Dom vs Greenlaw fight

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Their gameplan was to run it down the Saints throat and then their center got injured and they had to put in Sorsdal. They turned it back on when they needed to because Goff was able to make a bunch of really good plays with pressure in his face.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
they stopped running it up the middle before ragnow got hurt

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Good Will Hrunting posted:

What was the EPA on the Big Dom vs Greenlaw fight

right now Big Dom is

Eating
Pasta
Again

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

If the best Lions team I've ever seen hosts their first playoff game in 30 years and gets dumpstered by Matthew Stafford of all people, I'm going to be sad for a bit and then I'm going to laugh really hard for a really long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Sure, the Pack beat KC, but they should have really challenged themselves and beat them without touchdowns like the Bears did at the Vikes.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

WARM SEASON'S GREETINGS TO YOU ALL FROM MENARD'S!

gently caress menards. I like you, but gently caress menards so much.

Dont forget the lotion for your dick beaters.