Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

je1 healthcare posted:

Most people who hit on the 1st woman in the game don't hit on every woman they meet IRL (or any women) because clicking a dialogue option is way easier and consequence-free than saying that poo poo out loud

In the same way that 99.99% of the players who went out of their way to shoot a kid haven't done so irl

Of course -- but my point is most games you do that kind of thing in either encourage it or let it ride. Disco she politely declines and you quickly learn the woman you're hitting on is a rape victim. It's an *incredible* gut punch.

Shooting the kid is more the traditional experience, effectively unlocking an alternate ending to the game. It's not a punishment in the same way as it's just a game over. That first flirtation you have to sit with (and I think are reminded of?) throughout the game. In this case you get a pretty hilarious "Burned Out Cop Shoots Child" headline ending, then just reload the save and the game forces you to make a different decision to move forward.

Not saying the game goes for gut punches in every instance, nor that IRL matches behavior in the game. Just that the consequences for your actions in this game hit a rare self-reflexive emotional beat.

The other big one I remember being the sidequest where you pester a woman about her missing husband and it plays like a standard video game fetch quest until it suddenly isn't. It's less about player choice with that one, but as a happy-go-lucky chaos player, the way this one played out really hosed with me for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Of course -- but my point is most games you do that kind of thing in either encourage it or let it ride. Disco she politely declines and you quickly learn the woman you're hitting on is a rape victim. It's an *incredible* gut punch.

you don't, though, you get a jokey exchange in which she clearly thinks it's funny to the point actively asking you to repeat it and then she leaves, and then at least 1 full day later you are briefly lead to believe that she was raped but are clearly told by her afterwards that she wasn't. this game usually does not gut punch you for following obviously stupid or comedic options, but instead rewards you with comedy.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Help I played this game and now I am become a disco dancing Communist Hobo.

Woe is me.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The game punishing the player for treating it as a traditional rpg dialogue tree game is very deliberately turned up at the beginning to get the player to adjust. The first conversation with Klaasje is to teach you to maybe not run down every dialogue option you have, the one with Garte teaches you that succeeding in a roll will make Harry do the thing but won't change the reality of the world and that failure can be hilarious and not necessarily bad.

e: and yeah, the game heavily signposts when you are about to do something serious and with no comedy.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Are you sure you want to ask the scab leader about the tattoos?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

You can't really tell a player "no, don't do that!" in a game with unlimited quicksave/quickload.

Even though I have a clear idea of how I want to roleplay Harry, if I see an utterly deranged out-of-character option that would obviously wreck whatever I'm trying to do - I'm gonna quicksave, see what happens, then reload.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
If the game has sufficient reactivity you are only going to see what immediately happens and not everything else that happens though. For that you have to commit.

christmas boots posted:

Are you sure you want to ask the scab leader about the tattoos?

I mean that’s where the game tells you the only moral action to take regarding this character is killing them.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Alchenar posted:

The game gives you such an impression of freedom while you are playing it that it's naturally a bit disappointing to look backwards and see the rail tracks you've been on a lot more clearly - even though the game genuinely does give you a lot of freedom.

Under its new management Disco Elysium 2 will be a Ubisoft style open world where you parkour around liberating Revachol district by district, taking out Krenel bases using a combination of stealth, gunplay, and scripted environmental takedowns.

Anyway, maybe these were already posted, but I skimmed a bunch of pages to get past the AI art discussion so apologies if so:

The channel "People Make Games" made a video investigating the issues surrounding ZA/UM and it had some serious issues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1b5zyvsUBY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDtfcknELe0

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

NihilCredo posted:

Even though I have a clear idea of how I want to roleplay Harry, if I see an utterly deranged out-of-character option that would obviously wreck whatever I'm trying to do - I'm gonna quicksave, see what happens, then reload.
The game should detect this behaviour and bestow a shameful copotype for it :colbert:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Alchenar posted:

The first conversation with Klaasje is to teach you to maybe not run down every dialogue option you have,
The counter to that being the 'human can opener' line where it is revealled that Harry is feared as a cop precisely because he chases down every lead and exhausts every dialogue option.

E: although I absolutely did not pursue the last conversation check while dancing in the church.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 3, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

cock hero flux posted:

this game usually does not gut punch you for following obviously stupid or comedic options, but instead rewards you with comedy.

Right, which is what I was saying. Usually it doesn't, but when it does, it hits.

Thinking about the boardwalk guy again, realized Harry possibly could have been hanging out with him before he died, given where he was and the whole alcoholism thing. Found this post on reddit that seems to have found evidence that was the case:

quote:

Now we also know that Victor Méjean was out drinking with his friends (possibly Idiot Doom Spiral and his crew?) after returning one of his wife's library books to the Central Jamrock Public Library. We know from evidence at the scene that he had thrown up a little on his "cool jacket" and had purchased and eaten a kebab to fill his emptied stomach and had chewed an entire pack of spearmint gum at once to disguise the scent of alcohol on his breath. If Harry's perception is high enough and you vomit while looking at the hanged man's corpse in the tree your perception (smell) tells you it recognizes the scent of commodore red, distilled spirits and...bits of shish-kebab. Now as far as I know no one in Martinaise sells shish-kebabs (save Garte but he doesn't sell them in Martinaise), at least none that we see, but there are several mentions from Esprit-de-Corps and Encyclopedia of an infamous local kebab stand...located in Central Jamrock.

Could it be possible that Harry left Idiot Doom Spiral's group alongside Victor Méjean because they felt some kind of comradery from their shared struggles with not only addiction but also burdening their romantic partners with their addictions? We know that there is a kebab wrapper in the trash near Victor's body. Maybe Harry was there eating kebabs with Victor and saw him fall through the boardwalk but was too inebriated to realize the severity of the situation and just thought he was sleeping? Maybe on some subconscious level he recognizes Billie from Victor's description of her and somehow his ancient reptilian brain put two and two together that he should be looking for a drunk, missing, working-class husband? It would explain how Harry got that hunch out of nowhere and why the portrait of the Working Class Corpse's eyes seem to be staring at you accusingly. Or maybe (probably) my mind just goes to extremely dark places out of habit.

Seems intentional enough to me if kebabs aren't mentioned elsewhere.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The counter to that being the 'human can opener' line where it is revealled that Harry is feared as a cop precisely because he chases down every lead and exhausts every dialogue option.

E: although I absolutely did not pursue the last conversation check while dancing in the church.

I really love how the gamey-ness of Harry's behavior is diegetic. Yes, Harry really is jogging around everywhere and treats every conversation like a checklist of questions! He really does go after every little quest the world presents him, no matter how insignificant it is to the bigger picture of his work! He takes dangerous drugs and changes clothing on a whim because it helps him investigate! This adds up to an intolerable human being in real life!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

the dialogue option during the final, climactic showdown with Her where you can object that "they're not dialogue lists, they're dialogue trees" is a god-drat triumph of narrative

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

World War Mammories posted:

the dialogue option during the final, climactic showdown with Her where you can object that "they're not dialogue lists, they're dialogue trees" is a god-drat triumph of narrative

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Hot take: Disco Elysium is a video game and none of the choices the player makes in it are reflective on who they are as a person.

The choices you make in a video game might not reflect who you are as a person but there are plenty of people for whom "who they are as a person" makes it really easy to predict what choices they'll make in a video game

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I am not ashamed of basically never being able to bring myself to make the mean choices in video games, because I just don't enjoy doing it. Yes I know I'm missing out, but I just find it unpleasant in the same way as watching awkward comedy is viscerally unpleasant to me.

It's different in some games like Mass Effect where the choice is between virtuous boyscout and rebellious badass, but when it's straight up just 'here is the good path and here is the bad path,' I can never really bring myself to be bad guy.

E: which is the thing about Disco's choice to present different political ideologies. I've seen enough reddit posts asking about why the game was mean to them when they 'just made the logical choice' to know that everyone thinks their ideology is the 'right' one.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 4, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I loving love how the game forces you to pick an ideological extreme for Harry, and even makes sure to keep up the pretense that Moralism is a moderate position just long enough to foster a false sense of security.

It leads to so many reviewers telling on themselves. This one might be my favorite:

https://twitter.com/honzogonzo/status/1699770843205677520?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
I don’t think Kim would even call you that if you didn’t make some fascist/misogynistic choices… in fact, I don’t think his choices were so equal after all!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah in my playthrough I ended up with nearly equal points in communism and moralism and it definitely didn't call me a fascist.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Ah, but did you have "nearly equal" (read: somewhat more) points in fascism?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, going by the last sentence, they picked all the centrible sensist choices, and somehow wound up with even scores across the board, and take issue with Kim calling them a fascist when they were only fascist like 25% of the time. Like, what, are they expecting people to carry conversations longer than four sentences without saying at least one white supremacist thing? That's not realistic.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I just remember Kim thinking I was both a communist and a libertarian, the latter probably because I succeeded on the Composure check when Evrart tells you about what happened to your gun, and failed the one to give the Ultrarich guy a terrible pitch for an investment.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I think you need at least 5 point sources for Kim to consider you something, so you had at least that many of each. One won't do it, no matter how big. It needs to be a pattern.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I don't know how the game calculates things for certain, but I feel like "I had mostly equal points in everything" doesn't matter if key decisions were done in a fascist way - internalising measurehead's theory and calling Kim a slur or agreeing with the racist cab driver are in no way made up for by saying a few commie things to Arnoux or agreeing with the Deserter.

E: either within the game's metrics or in real life, to be clear.

Like the whole point of Gary being explicitly signposted as the worst kind of fascist is that he has such a nice affect, and he never directly does anything nasty that you see, but his outlook and internalised logic are very much bigoted. I don't know how you miss that unless he didn't find Gary or he basically is Gary.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think the game generally prioritizes internalized ideologies, i.e. the one where you trigger a skill orb which will give you the option to opt in, unlocking a thought.

I could see Kim having reason to emphasize your fascism if you've said and done enough horrid things to cross the threshold, even if you also entered the Kingdom of Conscience on your own time. Which is entirely warranted.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
You can be a true-blue moralist in your end-game assessment. It has been a while since we talked about it but I believe you can register as nothing/purely boring too but it's difficult.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I think you’re also giving many players more credit in their ability to read and comprehend the dialog options they are choosing than they deserve.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Someone post the 'best drat cop on the force' ending please

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Someone post the 'best drat cop on the force' ending please

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQRdm5_fknk

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Let's see, I'm a communist, a moralist, an ultraliberal, a union member, president of the homo-sexual underground for some reason...

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

centrible sensist

Stealing for the C-SPAM usernames thread.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Thank you, I have to see this posted in the wild twice a year or I run out of magnesium and die.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Let's see, I'm a communist, a moralist, an ultraliberal, a union member, president of the homo-sexual underground for some reason...

And what about Harry?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Hot take: Disco Elysium is a video game and none of the choices the player makes in it are reflective on who they are as a person.

Actually, video game choices are the only choices that matters because in "real life" instead of cool situations you face tedious bullshit until you die

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

One time I was lost in downtown Seattle suffering a severe health issue and I got to beg random strangers for help getting to a hospital (some kind of...uh...empathy? authority? suggestion? composure? check), which I failed at, and then I had a meltdown about the cruelty of existence (low morale??) and started taking money out of ATMs and giving it to homeless people (reverse...hobocop???) which was not very smart but felt like the right thing to do at the time (conceptualization failure????)

It was kind of bullshit though, true

e: feel like this is a deeply pathetic vein of posting I've opened tbh

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

General Battuta posted:

e: feel like this is a deeply pathetic vein of posting I've opened tbh

Sorry Cop

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

:negative:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TJL16o8Po0

Found a new DE video essay of sorts. I really liked it, obviously or I wouldn't be sharing it. It carries on the sort of rambling emotional weight that the game has really well.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

General Battuta posted:

One time I was lost in downtown Seattle

Jesus
Christ
Made
Seattle
Under
Pressure