Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

a sexual elk posted:

SD was a blast. Hit the botanical gardens, way bigger than I was expecting, then the beach on Vacation Island. Kids were good and minimal squabbling. A great day.

https://imgur.com/a/qv371ZU

I hope you found good food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Dennys hahaha

By the time everyone was getting hungry it was already 4:30, we were wiped out and stopped at the first place we saw. Crispy chicken ranch Sandi hit the spot hahah

Then again I got pretty baked at the beach so any food woulda tasted killer

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 3, 2023

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Caught Godzilla Minus One yesterday and I was impressed how good it looked for a flick with a $15m budget.

Tonight I watched Interstellar again and I still believe it holds up. I think this may be my favorite Christopher Nolan film.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Never saw Interstellar and some how mixed it up with Noah in my head and totally remembered how hard I forgot I watched Noah

It had a Minecraft robot right?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Noah didn't have Minecraft robots but it did have somewhat biblically accurate angels if you count the apocryphal books.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Oh gently caress I did see Interstellar with its Minecraft robot

Guess that makes Noah rank higher then Interstellar

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 3, 2023

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I like Interstellar and I have to fight back tears (usually unsuccessfully) at the end when he’s visiting his daughter as an extremely old woman.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

I like Interstellar and I have to fight back tears (usually unsuccessfully) at the end when he’s visiting his daughter as an extremely old woman.

Such a good story. Love that movie. Hyped it’s time for the annual rewatching of LoTR extended trilogy and the Harry Potter series.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Full disclosure: I have not read either the LoTR or the Harry Potter books.

I didn't care for The Fellowship of the Rings when it first came out but over time it's grown on me and I enjoy it a lot.

The only Harry Potter movie I didn't fall asleep in the middle of was Prisoner of Azkaban and I now suspect it's because Alfonso Cuarón directed it.

Now I'm watching Shazam: Fury of the Gods while making breakfast and I'm so disappointed in how lesser this was to the 1st movie (which I enjoyed a lot).

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

LeeMajors posted:

The part where he loses it watching the message from his daughter always gets me

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
When did LotR become holiday movies? My wife started an annual rewatch in December like 7 years ago and now pretends it's what she has always done. I like the tradition, I just want to know the cultural origin. Is it nothing more than the movies were all released in winter?

I should probably watch Interstellar again. Probably hits different now that I have kids. Though if I have to strain to hear dialogue at any point I'm turning it right off.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 3, 2023

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

The Puppy Bowl posted:

When did LotR become holiday movies? My wife started an annual rewatch in December like 7 years ago and now pretends it's what she has always done. I like the tradition, I just want to know the cultural origin. Is it nothing more than the movies were all released in winter?

They were released then and when we have time to watch is why we do it.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I used to watch the 007 movies during the holidays I think because there were always marathons on TV around this time of year. But now when I watch them, especially the older ones, Bond just looks like a sexual predator.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Interstellar is tailor made to gently caress up sensitive parents. Particularly climate-aware parents.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I mostly liked Interstellar except the thing about corn was ridiculous and not believable at all. If we lose all the food plants, corn will not be the last one, nor can you live on just corn, nor would you fill your table with like eight different corn recipes. It was like a cartoon.

But yeah it's a good movie.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

I mostly liked Interstellar except the thing about corn was ridiculous and not believable at all. If we lose all the food plants, corn will not be the last one, nor can you live on just corn, nor would you fill your table with like eight different corn recipes. It was like a cartoon.

What? A Christopher Nolan movie cartoonish????

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Replace corn with yams, the King of Crops

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Rectal Placenta posted:

I used to watch the 007 movies during the holidays I think because there were always marathons on TV around this time of year. But now when I watch them, especially the older ones, Bond just looks like a sexual predator.

There are absolutely old family photos from when I was a kid of either setting up the Christmas tree or opening presents on Christmas morning, and in the background something like The Man with the Golden Gun or Moonraker is clearly visible on the TV.

I can't remember whether it was TBS or later TNN/Spike, but one of them just randomly airing all the Bond movies from 1962-1989 essentially nonstop from Thanksgiving to New Years is a key part of a lot of holiday memories.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Leperflesh posted:

I'm assuming at that point they had pumped corn full of so many animal genes that you had well-marbled versions grown in Japan.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

LeeMajors posted:

Yep, every drat time.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

LeeMajors posted:

Same, it gets me right in the feels as a Dad.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

FSU is going to riot and I’m not sure I can blame them

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

LeeMajors posted:

I have to re-watch this. I don't have any recollection of McConaughey turning into an old woman.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MrLogan posted:

I have to re-watch this. I don't have any recollection of McConaughey turning into an old woman.

gently caress :lol:

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Weirdly, I watched Interstellar on a whim yesterday. I love that movie so much. It's a really well done movie and it's one of my favorites as a ginormo space nerd.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Showed the child Fellowship of the Rings for the first time, not sure she was especially blown away, she’s come to basically expect MCU-like dialogue/plot beats/etc from every movie she watches, but I sure enjoyed myself, and at the end of the day that’s what parenting is all about

T-Square
May 14, 2009

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Moreso just “winter” than “holiday” for us, but mostly just because it’s a long haul getting through the trilogy and what better time to do it than in the dead of winter all cozied up with some nice drinks and snacks and blankets

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I should probably watch Interstellar again. Probably hits different now that I have kids. Though if I have to strain to hear dialogue at any point I'm turning it right off.

For three years they released a new LotR movies and my family would go on Xmas eve. When it game out on dvd we did the same thing at home.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

They're also not a bad choice for the whole family. They're funny at the right times, the story themes and plots don't require a lot of focus. There's plenty of eye candy anytime aragorn is on screen, or legolas if you like 'em twinky. There's some creepy bits but it's not scary, there's plenty of action but not gratuitous violence, there's magic but nothing too ridiculous, it's mostly practical effects or at least practical looking, they're shot beautifully, the music is fantastic.

They're just maybe a little long if its not your thing, but there's not a lot of movies that tick every box the way they do .

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

LotR was on SyFy for what seemed like three straight days when I was staying at a hotel last week. Forged in Fire was not on History channel a single time, and usually they were airing those conspiracy theory shows where there is 10 minutes of actual content in an hour long show, repeating the cycle of commercial, recap of before the commercial, play a scene they built up before the last commercial, build up the scene for after the next commercial, repeat.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mom's off the vent as of yesterday, and today she is upright and responsive and had a sponge bath and watched the snow, a big improvement. Neuro eval is in the future, she's still coming down off the infection and who knows what else, but they'll probably be getting her out of the ICU tomorrow. I'll take it!

Mother in law's condo is gonna cost $50-$70k to renovate. She's got the money, though, especially since we found $20k in value among her unopened mail and there's another pile potentially claimable if we can figure out who actually has all the dividends from some account she's had forever, since she never cashed the dividend checks. Maybe $5k+.

Insurance isn't gonna cover jack poo poo because homeowners insurance policies explicitly don't cover "slow water leaks" which includes drainage problems, leaking pipes, leaking roofs, etc. State Farm. You know those State Farm commercials, "yeah, we covered that", what a load of bullshit lol.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Leperflesh, make sure to check your the state's unclaimed property division. The records should be digitized and searchable. I know families like yours who have found 5 figures in checks that never got cashed and went to state custody after a half decade.

Heck, everyone should check their names yearly. I have found lots of utility refunds after moving apartments that never made it to me, and getting $20-50 is always a nice little gift to get.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Blowjob Overtime posted:

LotR was on SyFy for what seemed like three straight days when I was staying at a hotel last week. Forged in Fire was not on History channel a single time, and usually they were airing those conspiracy theory shows where there is 10 minutes of actual content in an hour long show, repeating the cycle of commercial, recap of before the commercial, play a scene they built up before the last commercial, build up the scene for after the next commercial, repeat.

My favorite "the hotel only gives basic cable" viewing is Catfish on MTV. But there's a 50/50 chance instead of 10 hours of Catfish they're doing 10 hours of Ridiculousness and that's a hard pass for me.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I love the interview with Harrison Ford at the Dial of Destiny premier when he's asked if the stunts take a toll on him and he says "No because they're done by stuntmen"

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

trevorreznik posted:

Heck, everyone should check their names yearly. I have found lots of utility refunds after moving apartments that never made it to me, and getting $20-50 is always a nice little gift to get.

Just did and turns out my wife has $50 waiting for her in there. Thank you!

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Shrimpy posted:

My favorite "the hotel only gives basic cable" viewing is Catfish on MTV. But there's a 50/50 chance instead of 10 hours of Catfish they're doing 10 hours of Ridiculousness and that's a hard pass for me.

Nailed it, both of those were on as well. On paper the idea of watching fail comps is fun, but the host is so impressively unlikeable and they watch each clip so many times that it's definitely a no go.

Also at some point after noon Comedy Central is just The Office, and I think there were two different channels playing Friends.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

trevorreznik posted:

Leperflesh, make sure to check your the state's unclaimed property division. The records should be digitized and searchable. I know families like yours who have found 5 figures in checks that never got cashed and went to state custody after a half decade.

I did this and it came back with “property” and a number tied to it for me. But it doesn’t say what it is at all. I can submit a claim, which I did, but that’s it. No idea what it’s for

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Joey Freshwater posted:

I did this and it came back with “property” and a number tied to it for me. But it doesn’t say what it is at all. I can submit a claim, which I did, but that’s it. No idea what it’s for

Finally someone claimed all the boxes of Goku figurines they had laying around.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo once I got the claim ID email it says it’s for $485.91

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

Oh poo poo once I got the claim ID email it says it’s for $485.91

You owe someone 15%