Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

You owe someone 15%

Leper’s MIL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

My sister starts her treatment when the insurance company stops trying to fight the hospital on it. God, gently caress this poo poo. The doctors and nurses are kind, knowledgeable, and supportive. The hospital has been kind. There's always gotta be a drat snag.

I threw up this morning, I think as a result of stress. Thankfully I can call off and just rest.

This year has sucked lol

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Forrest on Fire posted:

My sister starts her treatment when the insurance company stops trying to fight the hospital on it. God, gently caress this poo poo. The doctors and nurses are kind, knowledgeable, and supportive. The hospital has been kind. There's always gotta be a drat snag.

I threw up this morning, I think as a result of stress. Thankfully I can call off and just rest.

This year has sucked lol

I’m sorry :(

Every time someone talks about the “best healthcare system in the world,” you immediately know they’ve never had a meaningful interaction with it.

Life and death decisions driven purely by money. It’s like a puzzle box designed to drive providers and patients completely insane.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Insurance isn't gonna cover jack poo poo because homeowners insurance policies explicitly don't cover "slow water leaks" which includes drainage problems, leaking pipes, leaking roofs, etc. State Farm. You know those State Farm commercials, "yeah, we covered that", what a load of bullshit lol.

When my grandmother's house got broken into and had the copper stolen my dad called a plumber who said they work with most insurances and asked who he had. He said "Farm Bureau" and the contractor said "Did you say State Farm?" and my dad repeated himself, then the contractor said "oh thank god, State Farm sucks." This was the only reason I went with Farm Bureau when I bought my house, and luckily since my own water damage was caused by a frozen and burst pipe everything was covered (tbf Farm Bureau doesn't cover "slow water leaks" either, and from the contractors I talked to nobody really does. Real lovely imo)

Forrest on Fire posted:

This year has sucked lol

real sorry, hope things get better.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Joey Freshwater posted:

Oh poo poo once I got the claim ID email it says it’s for $485.91

Happy holidays!

I just checked my own name and there's 3 "refunds" by the health system who keeps sending me bills for other visits, since they're too stupid to just apply it as a credit to my account.

It's really silly to have to do this but maybe I can make it into a fun annual tradition and host a party where friends gather and fill out forms and whoever gets the most cash back buys shots.

And yeah, the medical system stinks. Right now I'm sitting in a hospital room discussing with various doctors how to send my mom home, but the "formulary" for the pharmacy doesn't allow a medicine she needs to be in hospice at home. Such a mess, and this is with standard Medicare, so the easiest version of dealing with these issues.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 4, 2023

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
https://twitter.com/BoardGeniuses/status/1731714608807694355

sometimes i love the internet

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Forrest on Fire posted:

This year has sucked lol

Yeah, I have a coworker who's been out of work recovering from shoulder surgery and will be until January, which is fine since the holidays are notoriously slow at the post office. His doctor first said he needed it in May, so he would have been fully recovered by now if the insurance hadn't spent 4 months insisting it wasn't necessary.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

trevorreznik posted:

Leperflesh, make sure to check your the state's unclaimed property division. The records should be digitized and searchable. I know families like yours who have found 5 figures in checks that never got cashed and went to state custody after a half decade.

Heck, everyone should check their names yearly. I have found lots of utility refunds after moving apartments that never made it to me, and getting $20-50 is always a nice little gift to get.

yeah that's exactly where the money is coming from for the $20k in uncashed checks from her previous employer, but the state hasn't got a record for these dividend payments so they haven't been remitted to the state. We don't know yet who has them but it may be Charles Schwab, in receivership for an account previously with TD Ameritrade, in receivership for an account previously with TD Waterhouse, in receivership for an account previously with Waterhouse Securities. The checks are written to her investment advisor's firm on her behalf, except their firm changed names a few years ago, and the last time my MIL talked to her advisor he couldn't get the Schwab rep to change the payee on the checks to his new firm, the Schwab rep said "the client has to do that" and my MIL was like "I'm right here in the room" and that's the most coherent explanation I can get from her, she's really angry and frustrated about it so the story is not very clear. Anyway we're going to set up a meeting with her investment advisor this week.

The guy's taking about 1% AUM annually and I bet he's underperforming a simple index fund setup but my MIL likes him and trusts him so that's going to continue most likely. At least he's an actual fiduciary. But that entire industry is 95% grift and scumbags. Folks you do not need a financial advisor unless you've got millions of dollars, just read the basic resources in the long term investment and retirement thread, put your money in a target date retirement fund as the simplest option, vanguard or fidelity, you'll pay about 0.08% or less, and you'll be better off and get better performance than the vast majority of financial advisors get for their clients they're charging arms and legs.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Reminder not to use a target date fund in a normal brokerage account.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Now they want Big Government

Also I had like $50 in unclaimed property so thanks for that tip :toot:

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Oh poo poo once I got the claim ID email it says it’s for $485.91

Yeah same for me I'm owed almost 400 from overpayment of health insurance or something. Rules :toot:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MrLogan posted:

Reminder not to use a target date fund in a normal brokerage account.

It's not ideal, no. You'll generate some taxable events as the fund rebalances itself, and rarely you can have a case like happened with that one Vanguard fund a couple years ago where they refactor the whole fund and there was a large taxable event for holders.

If you're American and you have earned income you can open an IRA; if your employer offers a 401k or similar, especially with matching, take advantage of that; and in both of these types of tax-advantaged accounts, there is no issue with holding target date funds because you do not pay capital gains taxes on sales within the account. Target date funds are ideal for those types of accounts.

If you are investing for retirement in a non-advantaged account, you can replicate the balance of a target date fund with a three-fund portfolio consisting of a total us stock market fund, an international stock market fund, and a bond fund, in the appropriate proportions for your age and risk. This takes a little bit more study, you'll need to learn what these are and how much of each you should have for your goals and age, and you'll need to occasionally rebalance although you can often do so via weighting your purchases as you add money to the account, to avoid capital gains events.

Doing this basic thing will take you a couple of hours a year to think about and manage, and you don't need to pay someone 1% of your total assets to almost certainly underperform the above in the long run by trying to pick stocks, investing in funds with high expense ratios and/or (god forbid) loads, and generally loving around to try to justify their jobs.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
It was $69 :nice:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Just so we are clear, I think acts of violence should always be saved as a last resort. However, I fully advocate violence against C-suites of any for-profit health insurance corporation.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
This has reminded me that I really need to follow through with setting up a savingd account at the state employees credit union. I've been putting it off or just plain forgetting to do it for years and if/when my mom sells my grandparents and estate gets divided up I want a place to put my share that's entirely separate from my current banking set up.

Gonna get the combo flu and covid booster tomorrow at my physical, take a drug test for my upcoming ADHD testibg, and then go to my therapy appointment. It'll be a fun afternoon!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

This has reminded me that I really need to follow through with setting up a savingd account at the state employees credit union. I've been putting it off or just plain forgetting to do it for years and if/when my mom sells my grandparents and estate gets divided up I want a place to put my share that's entirely separate from my current banking set up.

Gonna get the combo flu and covid booster tomorrow at my physical, take a drug test for my upcoming ADHD testibg, and then go to my therapy appointment. It'll be a fun afternoon!

How much do you think your mom will get selling your grandparents?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
$50 a body but no butt stuff

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Air Skwirl posted:

How much do you think your mom will get selling your grandparents?

If she packages them up like cocaine amd sells to idiots, idk about 20 a gram until someone catches on.

As for their house, which is what she should be selling, Zillow had it about $500k.

Tulalip Tulips fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 4, 2023

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I got $20 coming from Best Buy apparently, but they want proof of me living at an address I haven't been at for almost 20 years. So, guess that's gone ...

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Amy Pole Her posted:

$50 a body but no butt stuff

How much for Some Butt Stuff asking for another poster

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

I got $20 coming from Best Buy apparently, but they want proof of me living at an address I haven't been at for almost 20 years. So, guess that's gone ...

that address might be on your credit report, if a report from an agency qualifies as proof and if you want to bother with it for 20 bucks

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

LeeMajors posted:

I’m sorry :(

Every time someone talks about the “best healthcare system in the world,” you immediately know they’ve never had a meaningful interaction with it.

Life and death decisions driven purely by money. It’s like a puzzle box designed to drive providers and patients completely insane.

If you have more money than god then we do have the best, yeah. You can take your private jet from Dubai or Bern and land at Teterboro and have a sedan take you right to your private doctor at Sloan Kettering or whatever.

But yeah if you’re just a regular person it’s like half a step up from battlefield medicine at this point.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Freaquency posted:

But yeah if you’re just a regular person it’s like half a step up from battlefield medicine at this point.

I once sat in a school nurse’s office giving a duoneb and steroids to an 8 year old in severe bronchospasm while he begged his mom not to send him in an ambulance because “we don’t have the money.”

There aren’t words to describe how I feel about the beneficiaries of our “healthcare system.” Not any that would keep me off a watchlist anyway.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Apparently there's a guy in my state with the same first and last names as me, and a middle initial one letter off from mine. And Wells Fargo owes that guy $100 but not me, alas.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I have 45 coming from a car insurance refund check.

A guy with my same name in Pensacola which is somewhere I’ve literally never been is owed $3100 because of a dividend? Bastard

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Checked and got $36.50 :toot:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I once sat in a school nurse’s office giving a duoneb and steroids to an 8 year old in severe bronchospasm while he begged his mom not to send him in an ambulance because “we don’t have the money.”

There aren’t words to describe how I feel about the beneficiaries of our “healthcare system.” Not any that would keep me off a watchlist anyway.

My SO has been doing a lot of advocacy work since she entered residency and found a lot of her clinic patients dying because they couldn’t afford treatment until it was too late. They’ve actually scored a handful of pretty major victories but can’t celebrate them at all because doing so will attract the attention of the hard-right shitheads that think medicine should only be available to the insanely wealthy.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

LeeMajors posted:

I've had the same experience at my old service when I was an AEMT. Almost every one would then sign off AMA and our medical direction would get pissed because we kept signing off people who should be transported. Yeah, no poo poo we should, but when your patient is borderline having an anxiety attack on top of their non-STEMI chest pain because of the cost, am I supposed to kidnap or chapter them?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

I've printed out emails that had my old addresses and gotten money that way. The bar is very low, use your imagination on what can work.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I've had the same experience at my old service when I was an AEMT. Almost every one would then sign off AMA and our medical direction would get pissed because we kept signing off people who should be transported. Yeah, no poo poo we should, but when your patient is borderline having an anxiety attack on top of their non-STEMI chest pain because of the cost, am I supposed to kidnap or chapter them?

Constant. It happens all the time.

People die deaths of self-neglect all the time.

My first STEMI and cardiac arrest as a squeaky clean EMT was an obese guy who ignored chest pain for 3 days.

First time I saw real, actual diaphoresis. He lived about 10min more.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Forrest on Fire posted:

This year has sucked lol

Yeah, that poo poo sucks, I’m sorry. I’ve talked about my late partner in here several years ago, she had full blown stage four breast cancer and her insurance was just like “lol no” and her treatment got delayed like a week because her oncologist had to yell at them for several days to get them to approve

C-Euro posted:

Apparently there's a guy in my state with the same first and last names as me, and a middle initial one letter off from mine. And Wells Fargo owes that guy $100 but not me, alas.

I checked and as usual no luck for me, but there are multiple people that share my GF’s pretty uncommon name including one lady that has two claims for over $1,000. Alas, not her :(

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh neat I had 200 which I guess was related to something with my house purchase 13 years ago

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

T-Square posted:

Yeah, that poo poo sucks, I’m sorry. I’ve talked about my late partner in here several years ago, she had full blown stage four breast cancer and her insurance was just like “lol no” and her treatment got delayed like a week because her oncologist had to yell at them for several days to get them to approve

This is that exact situation.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
found $55 from a hospital for me and a couple hundred for my wife. thanks for the reminder.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

T-Square posted:

I checked and as usual no luck for me, but there are multiple people that share my GF’s pretty uncommon name including one lady that has two claims for over $1,000. Alas, not her :(

Yeah can I, like, write to my doppelganger and tell him to check it out himself? That money might as well go to its owner.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Checked and found something for my late mother from the gas company for under $100, notified my dad about it. Also found something under $100 for myself, from DraftKings a couple of years ago.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Not that it should shock anyone, but 23andme has admitted that the ancestry and genetic data of 6.9 million users was stolen in a hack.

Man, if you don't have to put a piece of information online, why would you?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Timby posted:

Not that it should shock anyone, but 23andme has admitted that the ancestry and genetic data of 6.9 million users was stolen in a hack.

Man, if you don't have to put a piece of information online, why would you?

As someone who may have been affected, I feel it's important to be clear about what, exactly, was accessed.

When you do a 23andMe for ancestry, you can choose to opt-in to a feature that shares your name, percentage of relatedness, birth year, and "location" which is whatever you put in, usually your city. You can opt out of that feature (in fact it's off by default) and you can also turn it on or off at any time.

The idea is that it helps you to find relatives. I used it to discover who my mother is related to (she was adopted) and that my paternal grandmother was jewish (she supposedly had been born on a reservation and had no birth records whatsoever, both of those facts were likely lies, but we don't know if they were told by her or to her by her parents). It's been an incredible thing to connect to people that were able to help me reconstruct my family tree.

But it should be obvious, and unfortunatley isn't, that if a single person you're related to has their account compromised, whoever logs in now has that info I mentioned above, along with the fact that you're related to the person whose account was accessed. And, if you can access a large number of accounts, you can start forming your own database of interrelatedness.

The utility of this information is limited. You know that Leperflesh lives in Concord, CA, and is 1/4 jewish by ancestry, and is related to a hundred other jews on 23andMe. So... now what? I don't think I'm gonna be like, profiled by the government. They can likely get my exact address, sure, but is some group going to target six million people for individualized harassment? Every goddamn corporation in the country already harasses me daily via mail and phone. Now they can find out I'm a little bit Jewish. So? Racial info is available and correlated to our identities already by millions of corporations.

OK so yeah it's bad, it's not a failing of 23andMe really: they offer this feature, you can turn it on or off, and if you have it on you have to be aware that your info is now available to at least several hundred strangers, if not thousands or millions by proxy. Probably people like me should be more careful, I dunno, but like the heat 23andMe is getting I think is misplaced. The only option they have to prevent this is to not allow people to find their genetic relatives, which is half the point of doing the genetic testing in the first place.

BTW, Ancestry and all the other big genetic testing sites have similar features and are probably also similarly compromised, they just don't know it yet. People re-use their passwords on different websites. poo poo's not secure. And they're not using 2-factor authentication at Ancestry.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I've had an account at the NC SECU since I was like 10 because my mom was a teacher and she could share access. It's fine, there are probably better high interest saving accounts online, but I like it. I know Navy Federal Credit Union is also very good for anyone with military connections.

my 6 digit savings account number is like having a 5 digit ICQ account number :smaug:

C-Euro posted:

There's someone in Georgia with my name, and I guess they have a very close email address because I was getting emails about their Georgia Power account. Like "Your bill is due on this date" stuff. I never saw anything on my financial statements so I just ignored it.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

a) it’s 100% a failing of 23AndMe as they have a responsibility to secure that data and it’s ludicrous to just let them off the hook because people reuse passwords(!?)

b) a database of “almost exclusively Ashkenazi Jews” does not seem like a great thing to have just floating out there in the current climate