Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

I got into 40k when the Heresy was all nebulous and nothing was really known and nothing ever changed and I think after 20 years it's not a bad thing they're moving the setting forward. You can only go so many decades where everything is unknown and nothing ever changes and tomorrow is Armageddon. Novels like Watchers of the Throne and some of the Dawn of Fire ones that explored the move to M42 were great and made me interested in 40k again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's really down to the philosophy of what you want: a story or a game setting. In a story things need to happen. In a game setting things need to have the potential to happen. The game setting is waiting for the players to arrive and start excitedly pushing buttons and pulling levers, moving pieces around on the board.

For a game setting, things happening is only good as long as it doesn't close off the potential for things to happen. Evolution isn't a bad thing, but finality is damage.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

We should just be grateful they haven't decided yet to kill or plunge into hell every character and just go "chaos wins lol" like they did with fantasy.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Looks like game keys are available now through your Owlcat account if you want to play on Steam. GOG/consoles won’t be claimable until launch.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Anno posted:

Looks like game keys are available now through your Owlcat account if you want to play on Steam. GOG/consoles won’t be claimable until launch.

I would except their website keeps timing out.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

Lol, Bobby, It takes most folks less than 10,000 years to realize there's no point in asking their dad for advice.

I mean he was stuck in stasis for most of that time, pretty hard for him to have an opinion when he's effectively on ice.

As for what he feels about the Imperium, a lot of people have already mentioned that here, but generally speaking he'd tear it all down if he could. Unfortunately, he has kind of been written to be accepting of what the Emperor did as required what with him using Roboute to burn Nurgle's garden. I SINCERELY hope the setting isn't moving towards the Emperor being right all along because that is completely against what the setting was about to begin with, but who can say?

As Argebargle said tho, I also prefer the lesser known and mysterious background to the Imperium, because given what we know of the setting, it hinting towards the Emperor actually being a villain or the Imperium being built on lies is much more enjoyable than the fascists being tragic heroes.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

evilmiera posted:

I mean he was stuck in stasis for most of that time, pretty hard for him to have an opinion when he's effectively on ice.

As for what he feels about the Imperium, a lot of people have already mentioned that here, but generally speaking he'd tear it all down if he could. Unfortunately, he has kind of been written to be accepting of what the Emperor did as required what with him using Roboute to burn Nurgle's garden. I SINCERELY hope the setting isn't moving towards the Emperor being right all along because that is completely against what the setting was about to begin with, but who can say?

As Argebargle said tho, I also prefer the lesser known and mysterious background to the Imperium, because given what we know of the setting, it hinting towards the Emperor actually being a villain or the Imperium being built on lies is much more enjoyable than the fascists being tragic heroes.

I think the setting explored in horus heresy puts it pretty bluntly that even if the emperor was powerful, ultra intelligent and super charismatic, the galaxy probably would have been a better place if he didn't ascend to emperorhood. Putting aside his mistakes and follies that led to chaos as a powerful, material force manifesting, his crusade destroyed a lot of intelligent cultures that were open to coexisting and learning from alien races, ones that even understood how to keep chaos in check better than the imperium.

I'd be really surprised and disappointed if they reveal in the ending of the heresy that 10 thousand years of inhuman darkness was the emperors plan all along because he could fix it all eventually or something.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I’d also be a stretch, considering that Chaos gets their best possible worldstate from the Horus Heresy, as is.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

I think the setting explored in horus heresy puts it pretty bluntly that even if the emperor was powerful, ultra intelligent and super charismatic, the galaxy probably would have been a better place if he didn't ascend to emperorhood. Putting aside his mistakes and follies that led to chaos as a powerful, material force manifesting, his crusade destroyed a lot of intelligent cultures that were open to coexisting and learning from alien races, ones that even understood how to keep chaos in check better than the imperium.

I'd be really surprised and disappointed if they reveal in the ending of the heresy that 10 thousand years of inhuman darkness was the emperors plan all along because he could fix it all eventually or something.

The lore has danced around the whole idea of the Emperor's fallibility pretty heavily since the HH book series started. There's quite a minor lore drops that not everything is as it seems, from the Emperor being instead the last survivor of some terrible genetic experiment during the Dark Age, to planning to 'retire' the Space Marines once he was done with the crusades and stick all the primarchs in some grand palaces/prisons on Terra to keep them around as needed.

Everyone and everything is a tool for him to use, even how the Primarchs were supposedly made for a very specific purpose, like Magnus was going to be the battery for the Astronomican.

He's so disconnected from the emotional component of humanity in a way not ever the Primarchs are that tons of the problems he causes come about from simply assuming everyone will just accept his decisions as objectively the best idea for the Imperium as a whole.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wait so it's out early on steam or only for people with a beta key?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Far as I know it isn't. Some influencers got a key that let them play a revised version of the beta early but the full game is not out yet in the wild.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah it’s not out out. You can just claim the key to add it to your library now.

Also stuff like the soundtrack which I can’t wait to give a listen to when I get home.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

just to activate, no preloading at the moment

There's also keys for a Deluxe DLC pack and a Voidfarer DLC pack, those will probably be day 1 DLC upgrades/packs. Based on some previous leaks its all cosmetic items and some starter equipment.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
This AND Colony Ship? Space rpg gamers eatin good

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Anno posted:

Yeah it’s not out out. You can just claim the key to add it to your library now.

Also stuff like the soundtrack which I can’t wait to give a listen to when I get home.

Oh I didn't know you could claim the key I must have missed that.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Small update for the era of the game via discord.
Beta dates are apparently irrelevant or outdated.

Cicatrix Maledictum is already in place

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Buschmaki posted:

This AND Colony Ship? Space rpg gamers eatin good

Yup. This is our time, right here

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

JamMasterJim posted:

Interesting. I kind of would have enjoyed seeing it set in the "past" if only to avoid some of the more recent lore issues, but maybe it's easier to make whatever is supposed to go down in the game canonical?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

JamMasterJim posted:

Oh. Feel like that should come up more lol

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

Oh. Feel like that should come up more lol

The Koronus Expanse is basically outside the proper Imperium, the Rogue Traders there basically run their own mini empires and travel to and from the Imperium proper for trade via the single safe passage out. As a setting it's about as wild west as it gets and supposedly there's ever chance to find a bunch of human planets the Imperium hasn't ever made contact with. Storytelling wise its ripe for a GM to create some unique and interesting settings that don't require 'lore accuracy' to a settled Imperium environment.

If you try to travel back to the Imperium in the Beta, you get a storybook event that says its too risky and dangerous, but if you continue you end up in a game over screen.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah I get all that. Still, considering they're on the wrong side of the Rift it seems like a hard thing to only mengton in passing

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
To be fair, there were discussions and brief mentions before on the Discord and subreddit that the release would see some narrative changes- maybe this is one of them?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Yeah, they'd need significant changes. Just based on beta there was zero mention of Guilliman, the Rift, or anything M42 related. And we could warp travel easily.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah I get all that. Still, considering they're on the wrong side of the Rift it seems like a hard thing to only mengton in passing

Not that the warp needs to make sense but if the screaming vortex-eye of terror axis is where the rift is, then the calixis and ixaniad sectors should be on the good side and the Scarus and Askellon sectors should be on the bad side.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Not that the warp needs to make sense but if the screaming vortex-eye of terror axis is where the rift is, then the calixis and ixaniad sectors should be on the good side and the Scarus and Askellon sectors should be on the bad side.

Kornus expanse is in the calixus sector iirc. Looking at the map it's on the other side of the big chaos blob north of terra where the eye of terror is. here.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh I thought the rift went more north than west

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lassitude posted:

Yeah, they'd need significant changes. Just based on beta there was zero mention of Guilliman, the Rift, or anything M42 related. And we could warp travel easily.

In the beta there was mention of something that caused you to lose track of where everything was- perhaps that was the Great Rift? And I wouldn't call the Warp travel in RT 'easy'- sure there some stable Warp routes, which I suppose should remain even with the big Chaos rear end in a top hat that's suddenly been torn open, but there were a lot more difficult ones as well, with plenty of ways to get yourself killed fighting Daemons as I recall. The Astronomican's light is dimmed, not extinguished.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lassitude posted:

The amount of times I had to fight a ship level full of demons isn't what I would call "easy'. Even the 'safe' runs usually meant some amount of ship damage.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
So, I'm the guy who's going to be dumb enough to try this game on the Steam Deck -- any reports on how the Beta has handled it? Does it have controller functionality there? I know the final product will...

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

pentyne posted:

The amount of times I had to fight a ship level full of demons isn't what I would call "easy'. Even the 'safe' runs usually meant some amount of ship damage.

That's just regular warp travel. The new trouble post-Great Rift is you can't see the Astronomicon from the Imperium Nihilus side of the Rift so it's hard to figure out where you're going. They have to take a lot of short jumps and can get off-course easily.

It's a shame, I was actually hoping we'd see the Great Rift open in-game and have to work through how to sustain a trade empire when warp travel is crippled.

Lassitude fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 5, 2023

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There is kind of an explanation for why the Expanse wouldn't be too badly affected by the Great Rift: that far out you can't see the Astronomican half the time anyway.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

There is kind of an explanation for why the Expanse wouldn't be too badly affected by the Great Rift: that far out you can't see the Astronomican half the time anyway.

It could also be the in game explanation for why you have none of your old warp charts.

Anno
May 10, 2017

The soundtrack and art book are not without spoilers (potentially big ones) but both are great if you're okay with that.

The soundtrack especially is something.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Anno posted:

The soundtrack and art book are not without spoilers (potentially big ones) but both are great if you're okay with that.

The soundtrack especially is something.

I skimmed through it without reading too much text. Final confirmation for something we've all been dreading.

No Orks.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Arglebargle III posted:

Don’t worry, there’s something similar to the astronomican in the Expanse. It’s on Iniquity!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

pentyne posted:

I skimmed through it without reading too much text. Final confirmation for something we've all been dreading.

No Orks.

I'm getting a refund

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

DaysBefore posted:

I'm getting a refund

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

pentyne posted:

No Orks.

YOUZ AVIN A LAFF MATE

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm guessing Da Boyz aren't in because if Owlcat are going to introduce them, it'd be in their own DLC, perhaps even with a companion of that misbegotten kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

pentyne posted:

No Orks.

There better be a DLC for 'undred 'undred Teff.