Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

We did learn about the famine in high school history, but blame was placed firmly on the kulaks. The history department were all a bunch of card carrying communists, incidentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I thought Ontario's diaspora was far less fired up than Alberta's, even though they have more money?

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

mila kunis posted:

he understands. liberal zionists are ethnonationalists who dont want to admit it.

I mean, I think he is that by default, because he's a dumbass tech millionaire who hangs out with rich assholes who all have the same opinion, and because he has personal connections to Israeli settlers. I don't think it's a position he adopted by sitting down and reading books or having conversations with smart people. He didn't once define Zionism or explain what it meant to be a Zionist during his half-hour editorial; that could be a trick of rhetoric, or it could be because he only thinks about this subject emotionally.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Karach posted:

I mean, I think he is that by default, because he's a dumbass tech millionaire who hangs out with rich assholes who all have the same opinion, and because he has personal connections to Israeli settlers. I don't think it's a position he adopted by sitting down and reading books or having conversations with smart people. He didn't once define Zionism or explain what it meant to be a Zionist during his half-hour editorial; that could be a trick of rhetoric, or it could be because he only thinks about this subject emotionally.

what i mean is, liberal zionism is not a thing that can actually exist anymore. israeli lib-left parties have been decimated because of the inherent contradiction of maintaining a pretense of civilization in an ethnofascist state. you only need to spend like 10 minutes listening to israeli politicians today to understand exactly what they are.

the few remaining 'liberal' zionists are on board with that, and don't see palestinians as deserving of a state, equality or basic dignity. but they can't outright say that in the polite liberal environments they exist in or their friends would desert them, so you get a bunch of nonsense spiel like this guy just put out. right wing zionism is the only honest and non-contradictory form of zionism.

mila kunis has issued a correction as of 23:41 on Dec 1, 2023

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Frosted Flake posted:

I thought Ontario's diaspora was far less fired up than Alberta's, even though they have more money?

Lecce wants to be Prime Minister.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

mila kunis posted:

what i mean is, liberal zionism is not a thing that can actually exist anymore. israeli lib-left parties have been decimated because of the inherent contradiction of maintaining a pretense of civilization in an ethnofascist state. you only need to spend like 10 minutes listening to israeli politicians today to understand exactly what they are.

the few remaining 'liberal' zionists are on board with that, and don't see palestinians as deserving of a state, equality or basic dignity. but they can't outright say that in the polite liberal environments they exist in or their friends would desert them, so you get a bunch of nonsense spiel like this guy just put out. right wing zionism is the only honest and non-contradictory form of zionism.

Agreed. There was a part of me wishing that he would just admit it. But, true to form for any Zionist I've heard or talked to, he can only twist himself up in knots talking about antisemitism or the inherent evil lurking in the Arab soul.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Fidelitious posted:

I don't get it. I don't know much about it, but what's the issue with Holodomor education?

Because if it was actual education it would be taught as a disastrous consequence of trying to speed run industrialization that affected a bunch of Soviet republics.

Instead it’s being taught as a uniquely Ukrainian genocide.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Is there a bear in a stealth suit in front of that sign?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Another Bill posted:

Is there a bear in a stealth suit in front of that sign?

i’m wearing a flannel not a stealth suit

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Thinking about how about how these same grievance dynamics are playing out in Canada, heavily influenced and funded by oil and gas money.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Tighclops posted:

holodomor, end pogrom

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 21:16 on Dec 3, 2023

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Demon_Corsair posted:

Because if it was actual education it would be taught as a disastrous consequence of trying to speed run industrialization that affected a bunch of Soviet republics.

Instead it’s being taught as a uniquely Ukrainian genocide.

And ironically there are plenty of examples involving an empire or two we were a part of that did the same thing a century earlier.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
triple posting to say new slur just dropped:

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/con...b2f3f696db.html

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I hope he got a luxury condo down payment sized cheque for writing that poo poo

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I like the idea that there is a difference between a “luxury” condo and a normal condo that isn’t just the rent.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Shawn micallef was last seen championing Bonnie Crombie for forcing through a developer project to build more condo sized poker chips for speculators to invest in

he is the ultimate Toronto liberal. he’s the loving boogeyman that the Fords and Mammo Mammal types portray. the social liberal who doesn’t give a gently caress about the people delivering his Doordash.

if you ask who empty social liberal rhetoric from our banks and realtors and oligarchs is for, it’s that guy

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Dreylad posted:

she lux on my property until I condo

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Pvt. Parts posted:

that's just downright uncordial

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gently caress off you genocide apologist. You need a loving permaban ASAP.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pvt. Parts posted:

gently caress you, you genocide apologist piece of poo poo, you should get permabanned immediately

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Someone must have posted a spicy take

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

Someone must have posted a spicy take

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

lobster shirt posted:

i hope that guy posts in cspam one day... looking forward to it.

fizziest posted:

They did.

fosborb posted:

thank you

a good saga

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Pvt. Parts posted:

A rolling probe would do the forums a favour

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Dreylad posted:

Obviously calling it a slur is stupid as gently caress but there's things that I agree with here.
It's not infrequent here in Ottawa that new housing gets shouted down or compromised because not enough of the units are guaranteed 'affordable'. I believe the most recent would be Lansdowne 2.0 proposal where we lost an entire tower due to some shadow bullshit and because some councillors wouldn't accept the 15% affordable units or whatever it was.

The facts are that we need housing. If the feds and provinces are refusing to step up and throw billions at public housing, the alternative is developers. I do not care about the mean developers making money. Build the houses.
If you make a project unattractive with needing some percentage of units that are arbitrarily affordable (they are not affordable) it's not going to get built at all.

People that move into luxury condos leave open spaces behind them in not-luxury condos, or rentals, or whatever. The end result is the point, and the end result is more housing.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

They're gearing up the throw immigrants under the bus, rather than anyone in charge, who say, are trying to drive wages down and housing prices up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrYlTSfy7hs

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Fidelitious posted:

Obviously calling it a slur is stupid as gently caress but there's things that I agree with here.
It's not infrequent here in Ottawa that new housing gets shouted down or compromised because not enough of the units are guaranteed 'affordable'. I believe the most recent would be Lansdowne 2.0 proposal where we lost an entire tower due to some shadow bullshit and because some councillors wouldn't accept the 15% affordable units or whatever it was.

The facts are that we need housing. If the feds and provinces are refusing to step up and throw billions at public housing, the alternative is developers. I do not care about the mean developers making money. Build the houses.
If you make a project unattractive with needing some percentage of units that are arbitrarily affordable (they are not affordable) it's not going to get built at all.

People that move into luxury condos leave open spaces behind them in not-luxury condos, or rentals, or whatever. The end result is the point, and the end result is more housing.

I generally agree but the specific problem in Ottawa is that the city is paying for the housing by way of enormous subsidies to the private parts of the p3. the luxury tower being removed isn’t good but the alternative was also not good.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Landsdowne development is in one of the few areas with surviving historic residential architecture, and while it's bougie, gauche glass leaky condos towering over the already badly traffic congested and underserved by public transit neighbourhood (it's bordered by a river and a canal) wouldn't actually alleviate the housing problems.

Of course, that neighbourhood also has two of the three schools in Ottawa that have rowing teams, so their concerns about too much/not enough low income housing in the development probably isn't happening in a vacuum either.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i cooked this up for a horror bathroom in the Toronto LAN thread but it fits here too:

im permabanned poster bathroomstomper58. i first started reading TRREB listings when i was about 12. by 14 i got really obsessed with the concept of "luxury" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "waterfall island" and "jack and jill vanities" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "luxury" style of real estate listings was all about; i think it's the unconscious leaking in to the conscious, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all real estate agents to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to a mental illness. peace.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

rare fidelitous w

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Fidelitious posted:

I don't disagree, but the problem is that supply needs to be paired with stronger regulation to prevent housing from becoming "investment opportunities" which is what the whole "luxury condo" thing is really trying to do.

Something like 50% of the new builds in Toronto are owned by investors I think? It doesn't matter how many houses people build if they're fundamentally about investment rather than shelter. But unfortunately that's a feature, not a bug, of our housing market. There is no housing crisis.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
There's a really disgusting ad on the radio right now (in toronto, possibly also elsewhere) for some property management company about how "with over a million immigrants coming to canada every year, owning investment properties has never been more important" and promising both "guaranteed rent" and "zero tenant interaction". I loving hate living in a country of wannabe landlords.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
like vancouver nobody lives here and there's still nowhere to live

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I'm from Saltspring Island, the last census (i think 2021?) shows how about half the population of ~10k people is at or below poverty line, not counting all the seasonal labour, unhoused, etc. There is a huge problem with rich property owners who only come for a few weeks in the summer. imo we need to start identifying these properties and get people squatting in them.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Turpitude posted:

I'm from Saltspring Island, the last census (i think 2021?) shows how about half the population of ~10k people is at or below poverty line, not counting all the seasonal labour, unhoused, etc. There is a huge problem with rich property owners who only come for a few weeks in the summer. imo we need to start identifying these properties and get people squatting in them.

In PEI people burn them down, not kidding. It was a trend about a decade back, and there were a huge rash of them this fall. Arson has been a big thing here historically as housing was worthless, if you moved off the Island you could never sell your house and would get taxed on a second home. Buddy knows a guy that can solve that problem for you.

Now I'd hazard the arson is more anger related as the traditional Island lifestyle is just gone. While still affordable for people fleeing Toronto, some farm hand that used to work half the year and spend the other half on pogey literally cannot afford anything. What do you do with multiple generations of illiterate men that only know how to survive if rent is less than $400 a month?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Virtual Russian posted:

multiple generations of illiterate men that only know how to survive if rent is less than $400 a month?

when you put it like this it sounds idyllic

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

ol qwerty bastard posted:

There's a really disgusting ad on the radio right now (in toronto, possibly also elsewhere) for some property management company about how "with over a million immigrants coming to canada every year, owning investment properties has never been more important" and promising both "guaranteed rent" and "zero tenant interaction". I loving hate living in a country of wannabe landlords.

Things feel tense in a way they haven't before, because they're really planting the seeds of the suburban middle class attributing everything in society to immigrants, either to profit off renting to them, or as the people responsible for taking all of the homes and jobs.

I feel like the liberals ":smuggo: we're a post-nation state, do you not like multiculturalism?" is also going to trigger a backlash against all the wrong people.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

As long as the only 'solution' for housing is letting private developers control all construction the only result will be luxury condo towers of glass and steel or oversized suburban SFH's that are prohibitively expensive for anyone other than like finance freaks and yuppie transplants. So we get to enjoy the creeping gentrification of neighbourhoods with these generic steel-panel covered luxury suites that push people further and further from work and leisure but it's okay because maybe some of the wealthier new-built condo owners will leave behind apartments that, after the inevitable post-end-of-lease rent increase, some of the poors might be able to afford if they squeeze in enough bunkbeds for their roommates

No amount of private developers building condo towers on Yonge Street or Barrington Street or West Georgia Street will actually improve the lot of people struggling to make rent. Landlords do not end an $800/month lease with the guy who just bought a condo and offer the same rate to the Sobeys cashier that comes to replace them. They increase that rent expecting the next tenant to have the money for it because now there's a condo tower three blocks away. But the cashier can find that price so long as they put up with a 45 minute commute (roughly seven and a half hours by bus) on the fringes of the city

Virtual Russian posted:

In PEI people burn them down, not kidding. It was a trend about a decade back, and there were a huge rash of them this fall. Arson has been a big thing here historically as housing was worthless, if you moved off the Island you could never sell your house and would get taxed on a second home. Buddy knows a guy that can solve that problem for you.

Now I'd hazard the arson is more anger related as the traditional Island lifestyle is just gone. While still affordable for people fleeing Toronto, some farm hand that used to work half the year and spend the other half on pogey literally cannot afford anything. What do you do with multiple generations of illiterate men that only know how to survive if rent is less than $400 a month?

Yeah it's pretty cool how utterly hosed the rural Maritimers are. Fishing died a generation ago, all the factories are gone, farming pays poo poo and now all the small towns out in the counties have prices not far off from Hali or Moncton. With EI capped at 55% (actually farmers and fishers etc might get more?? whatever) of your wage there's basically no hope of surviving the off-seasons the way their parents did. But it's cool because all the computer touching libs in (the suburbs of) Hali or Moncton or Sydney will blame the drat dirty rurals for voting for Tories and ignore the material realities of life out in the counties because they're all Fricking Chuds

Also reminded of a Toronto Life (the world's funniest magazine) article I saw about Toronto yuppies buying an old PEI farm to install a craft brewery. Lol

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
if you're unable to supply enough housing for everyone who needs it, naturally any housing made will be "luxury" and sold to the richest. the property they move out of will also be "luxury" and sold the richest. if you build less housing than is needed every year, you're never going to catch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This is sort of the opposite of Ontario history, where Toronto was literally world famous for affordable housing.

Despite their value as urban property, Toronto’s workers’ cottages are often characterized as being small, cramped, poorly built, and in need of modernization or even demolition. But for the workers and their families who originally lived in them from the 1820s to the 1920s, these houses were far from modest. Many had been driven off their ancestral farms or had left the crowded conditions of tenements in their home cities abroad. Once in Toronto, many lived in unsanitary conditions in makeshift shantytowns or cramped shared houses in downtown neighbourhoods such as The Ward. To then move to a self-contained cottage or rowhouse was the result of an unimaginably strong hope for the future and a commitment to family life.

Through the stories of eight families who lived in these “Modest Hopes,” authors Don Loucks and Leslie Valpy bring an important but forgotten part of the Toronto narrative to life. They illuminate the development of Toronto’s working-class neighbourhoods, such as Leslieville, Corktown, and others, and explain the designs and architectural antecedents of these undervalued heritage properties.