Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Air Skwirl posted:

It is incredibly rare to see Black men in a relationship with White women in movies, and when there is romantic tension like that, it's incredibly rare to see it physically Will Smith doesn't kiss Linda Fiorentino in Men in Black, it's a literal plot device in Hancock that he can't touch Charlize Theron, Denzel Washington doesn't hook up with Julia Roberts in The Pelican Brief, even though their characters do in the book.

However the real romance Disney was too cowardly to depict in the new Star Wars wasn't Finn and Rey, or Finn and Rose, it was Finn and Poe.

all of this is truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

Air Skwirl posted:

It is incredibly rare to see Black men in a relationship with White women in movies, and when there is romantic tension like that, it's incredibly rare to see it physically Will Smith doesn't kiss Linda Fiorentino in Men in Black, it's a literal plot device in Hancock that he can't touch Charlize Theron, Denzel Washington doesn't hook up with Julia Roberts in The Pelican Brief, even though their characters do in the book.

However the real romance Disney was too cowardly to depict in the new Star Wars wasn't Finn and Rey, or Finn and Rose, it was Finn and Poe.

This. Both parts of this Post.

But yeah, Disney absolutely cowarded the gently caress out from Finn x Rey, set him up with Rose, and then cowarded away from Finn x Rose, and Finn x Poe, to give both Finn and Poe "Racially Appropriate Love Interests." Which is really hosed up.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
I feel like ASM hasn’t been as bad as some people online grumble about for awhile. I thought the stuff w/ Goblin Peter didn’t feel like it had a lot of payoff but was otherwise pretty enjoyable. I think Norman’s characterization has definitely been a high point through the run. Caught up on the gang war stuff that’s been released so far and I really like the setup there, Luke Cage’s new costume is pretty slick.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

srypher posted:

I feel like ASM hasn’t been as bad as some people online grumble about for awhile. I thought the stuff w/ Goblin Peter didn’t feel like it had a lot of payoff but was otherwise pretty enjoyable. I think Norman’s characterization has definitely been a high point through the run. Caught up on the gang war stuff that’s been released so far and I really like the setup there, Luke Cage’s new costume is pretty slick.

And I am going to try and do a mega-burn through all the post-Slott or thereabouts stuff ahead of buying the new Ultimate line. For my own sake I certainly hope it's not as terrible as its online rep suggests.

Although I am immediately slowed down by learning that the cute little Renew Your Vows miniseries is not in fact 6 issues but 28 in total if the second volume is included.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The current Amazing runs is way better than the Spencer run by a mile in my opinion.

I think people are way too negative about the last few years of Spider-Man generally, but they book has definitely had a lot to complain about at the same time. Sometimes you can't let go of a long term relationship, no matter how lovely everything about Paul gets.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lobok posted:

Although I am immediately slowed down by learning that the cute little Renew Your Vows miniseries is not in fact 6 issues but 28 in total if the second volume is included.
And after that there's the three issue Spider-geddon tie in miniseries Spider-Girls that follows up on a few RYV plot threads and features Annie meeting Mayday.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Miles had a teamup with Blade and his daughter Brielle that wrapped up today. It was a fun two-parter.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Pretty great costume for Miles too.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

srypher posted:

I think a lot of it has been good. The gang stuff and Norman (I love me a villain going straight story), is good, hell almost all the side characters have been pretty entertaining. Wells' run in particular has been pretty good with keeping Spider-Man street level (aside from the truly unfortunate stupid Mayan math god poo poo story). The past several runs have dealt with Spidey doing what I'd call "big" stories, like Spencer's whole Kindred story, or Slott seemingly being unable to stop going back to the well of the multiverse. Wells' big crossover is going to be, by comparison, all of NYC's crime bosses fighting, and that's a great change imo. The real problem with the Amazing Spider-Man (imo, obviously) is, well, the Amazing Spider-Man himself.

A lot has been said about Marvel in general not letting Peter Parker dare to have any joy in his life, to the point of that recent story about them literally stopping Nick Spencer from undoing OMD, but Wells in particular really seems to have it out for the guy. This whole run has Peter Parker mainly swing (:rimshot:) from being just pathetic to honestly kind of an rear end in a top hat with very little in between, to the point where it strains the ability to sympathize with the character. It's kinda like... okay, remember back when everybody said the Superior Spider-Man was pretty entertaining when anybody but Slott was writing him? It's kinda like that. Peter Parker is a likable guy (a perpetual loser, yes, but still an enjoyable character) except when Wells is writing him.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 30, 2023

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

howe_sam posted:

And after that there's the three issue Spider-geddon tie in miniseries Spider-Girls that follows up on a few RYV plot threads and features Annie meeting Mayday.

And the current Spider-man Unlimited story is also a RYV story by Jody Houser.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Friends, I'm looking for a specific Doctor Strange monologue where he said something about "I will trade away bits and pieces of myself until there is nothing left to preserve the safety of Earth/reality/the universe". I don't have much more to go on beyond that.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Friends, I'm looking for a specific Doctor Strange monologue where he said something about "I will trade away bits and pieces of myself until there is nothing left to preserve the safety of Earth/reality/the universe". I don't have much more to go on beyond that.

Pretty sure this is from his speech to Wong during Hickman's New Avengers run where he's using the blood bible and Wong says Strange will lose his soul if does. Strange says he's already sold part of it and if they have to face such a huge threat then let it be with the full force of the sorcerer supreme. Let me go look for it

New Avengers 12 (2013)

Synesthesian Fetish fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 30, 2023

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SwissArmyDruid posted:

i think he's made that speech a few times but the one that comes to mind is from new avengers 20

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God that run was so good.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gang War is off to a really strong start. I like the set up and it seems like this is gonna lead to Spidey being a good hero again as opposed to the kind of failure that Wells has mostly portrayed him as.

Though I guess even if that doesn't happen, we'll have Spider-Men and Ultimate Spider-Man to fall back on for good Spidey comics.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's so weird to me that the writer of Hellions, that made me like some of the least sympathetic characters in all of X-Men history, struggles with the loveable part of making Peter Parker a loveable loser.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Air Skwirl posted:

It's so weird to me that the writer of Hellions, that made me like some of the least sympathetic characters in all of X-Men history, struggles with the loveable part of making Peter Parker a loveable loser.

The big difference is that he went from writing Havok, who no one really cares if you gently caress his life up any more than it already is, to Peter Parker who people have been both malding and seething about one editorial decision for the past 15+ years

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Air Skwirl posted:

I definitely feel Wells went into this run with some really interesting ideas that have just gotten worse as they have chickened out about. It just makes people already mad about the premise still mad and people open to it mad because the end result awful as well.

MJ having a new man and Peter having trouble moving on? Good very relatable problem. Happens to normal people all the time.

MJ has kids now! Oh poo poo Peter that really makes things more complicated. They certainly look like her biological children, and they certainly call MJ mom.

Paul and MJ have been together for five years! gently caress Pete, now it feels even creepier to not have moved on. Explains the children though.

Oh, it was in another dimension where time moves differently because of super hero nonsense? Sure, I guess. Certainly makes everything about this more generic super hero stuff and less interesting inter personal drama.

The kids are not MJs but just some random orphans trapped (?) in the other dimension. Not as interesting, but family is family even if the tragic death of these children is being assembled to give us a clear path to a guilt free world without Paul.

Paul is actually some kind of super villains son who give MJ a magic power bracelet so she can be a super hero? What? Oh by the way, the kids are just an illusion created by an evil god/Paul's dad/Paul (!) so suddenly the kids vanish because they were never real. Fortunate for Pete that now MJ is in a visibly unhappy relationship.

Paul, regular family man with a steady job was a more interesting antagonist than Paul, Super Villain that Spider-Man will get to beat down in a totally justified way before the run is over.

By the way, Kamala Khan died for two and a half issues before being resurrected and everyone being mind wiped about the event. Sure, absolutely ASM where she had like four pages of very minor side appearance was the place to do it.

The other half of the Well run is fire though. Tombstone stuff rules. Dark Web was a ton of weird fun. Doc Ock coming back and being peak performance Super Villain is so perfect. The man kicks puppies (in this case his original arms who befriended J Jonah Jameson). Gang War is shaping up to be another big fun story packed full of Spider-Friends fighting almost every Spider-Foe you have not seen in years.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Paul should win.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Paul is actually some kind of super villains son who give MJ a magic power bracelet so she can be a super hero? What? Oh by the way, the kids are just an illusion created by an evil god/Paul's dad/Paul (!) so suddenly the kids vanish because they were never real. Fortunate for Pete that now MJ is in a visibly unhappy relationship.

Huh, someone having twins that disappear because they weren't real? I sure wish this were a part of some character's story, maybe they could use it to start a major Avengers event leading into years of the X-Men's status quo.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
MJ: "No more Spiderverse"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
same but wanda maximoff

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, so far Gang War loving slaps. However a big question has been raised for me. Does Jessica Drew dye her hair? Is she going grey? Why can Carol see her roots?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'm also liking Gang War. Kinda feels like a weird Acts of Vengeance homage in some ways.

I think I don't understand Madame Masque, though. Like, what's her motivation? Like, ever?

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I'm also liking Gang War. Kinda feels like a weird Acts of Vengeance homage in some ways.

I think I don't understand Madame Masque, though. Like, what's her motivation? Like, ever?

I think making Tony Stark angry occasionally?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

srypher posted:

I think making Tony Stark angry occasionally?

Also loving with Kate Bishop's life.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Cartridgeblowers posted:

It gets overshadowed a lot, but she's a crime boss. Her biological father is Count Nefaria, who started out as a leader in the Maggia crime syndicate.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kate should be in Gang War. I'd like for her to show up anywhere though.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I'd like to see a Marauders arc where they rescue mutants from the Feilong/Orchis Sentinels

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This isn’t really Marvel specific but I didn’t see a general comic chat thread: I’m going through my old Marvel-heavy 70s-80s comics collection to free up some space. I’m keeping some and will probably give away the rest to some friends unless I can find an easy way to sell them.

Besides the ones that I know I want to keep is there any quick and easy way to tell if a comic is worth keeping? I don’t mean price wise, more if there’s a great artist or especially good story, etc. I’m very out of the loop with comics and forget a lot of who’s who. The scoring on Comic Book Round Up seems helpful but none of my attempts have had any results.

Also if I’m going to sell them should I try to find a local Facebook group or something? Selling things sucks. I’m not expecting much but I never had good experiences selling in bulk to stores

Snowy fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 5, 2023

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If you're trying to make space, bulk selling to a comic book store that specializes in back issues is probably your best option. If you want to make money you're going to have to do a lot of research and a lot of individual transaction (if you are shipping, individual comic books don't count as media mail when using USPS, graphic novels do, it's because comics have ads, so price your shipping accordingly). For finding out what's important in the terms you set, google the writers and artists.

If you don't care about money call local children's hospitals and see if they'd take a donation of the comics you don't want.

(And if that's a stack of Moon Knight comics from the Moench/Sienkiewicz run, I'd put those in the keep pile).

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Air Skwirl posted:

If you're trying to make space, bulk selling to a comic book store that specializes in back issues is probably your best option. If you want to make money you're going to have to do a lot of research and a lot of individual transaction (if you are shipping, individual comic books don't count as media mail when using USPS, graphic novels do, it's because comics have ads, so price your shipping accordingly). For finding out what's important in the terms you set, google the writers and artists.

If you don't care about money call local children's hospitals and see if they'd take a donation of the comics you don't want.

(And if that's a stack of Moon Knight comics from the Moench/Sienkiewicz run, I'd put those in the keep pile).

Thank you! I appreciate the advice. I might do a combination of those things and I love the donation idea.

The Moon Knights are in my keep pile for sure. Mostly I’m keeping stuff out of nostalgia, like my near complete run of ROM. I really liked him for some reason. I’m supposed to be downsizing but here I am shopping for missing issues.

A friend just sent me this article about valuable 80s comics. I may have already given away the Wolverine 1, I’ll have to check when I’m back at my place versus my dad’s basement, and definitely have Killing Joke there too, but I do have these on hand. If I can get anywhere around $100 for an issue then it’s worth the time to sell on eBay I guess.

https://www.qualitycomix.com/learn/most-valuable-comics-1980s

E- I ended up with a lot of Secret Wars. Too bad my only #1 is torn but oh wellllll

Snowy fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 5, 2023

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

There's a market for that Transformers limited series, the ROMs, and the Moon Knights to some degree, but maybe lower costs than you feel like dealing with.

Depending on how invested you are, you could set up as a Whatnot seller (host a stream and list the books individually or as sets and you can auction them and maybe clean up on your best stuff.) That Secret Wars is always in very high demand. It's a lot more work I'd imagine, but you can also set up Buy It Now if you just want to move some stuff without auctioning for everything, or just leave it running when you're away. During the pandemic's shutdown I ordered tons off there. A lot of sellers are focused on T&A and variant cover money grabs, but plenty are just comics for sale, and 70s/80s seem to be the most in demand for back issues, but a fair amount for old Gold Keys and Dell. I may be wrong here, but I believe Whatnot also handles setting up shipping and all to make that easier too.

Another thing I've seen is that newstand copies (have a UPC code) vs direct (usually the black suit Spidey suit head box for that era) are worth even more due to the rarity of quality condition spinner rack books.

Lucifunk fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 5, 2023

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Lucifunk posted:

There's a market for that Transformers limited series, the ROMs, and the Moon Knights to some degree, but maybe lower costs than you feel like dealing with.

Depending on how invested you are, you could set up as a Whatnot seller (host a stream and list the books individually or as sets and you can auction them and maybe clean up on your best stuff.) That Secret Wars is always in very high demand. It's a lot more work I'd imagine, but you can also set up Buy It Now if you just want to move some stuff without auctioning for everything, or just leave it running when you're away. During the pandemic's shutdown I ordered tons off there. A lot of sellers are focused on T&A and variant cover money grabs, but plenty are just comics for sale, and 70s/80s seem to be the most in demand for back issues, but a fair amount for old Gold Keys and Dell. I may be wrong here, but I believe Whatnot also handles setting up shipping and all to make that easier too.

Another thing I've seen is that newstand copies (have a UPC code) vs direct (usually the black suit Spidey suit head box for that era) are worth even more due to the rarity of quality condition spinner rack books.

Thank you very much, that’s a lot of helpful info!

I had never heard of Whatnot but it sounds good to me, I’ll check it out. Sadly I’m boxing it all up now and won’t be back here for a few weeks. For now I have to work on my list of title, get them in order, and search around to see where I put the stupidly large pile of Plastic Man issues :v:

This isn’t Marvel so I apologize but I just found a pile of my dad’s war comics and a Humbug. It’s the stuff that inspired me as a kid.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Snowy posted:

Mostly I’m keeping stuff out of nostalgia, like my near complete run of ROM. I really liked him for some reason.

That 'for some reason' is because ROM is and was loving awesome.

You've got a hell of a collection there.

Lucifunk
Nov 11, 2005

I would love a big ROM collection. When I was a kid I even had the big action figure.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

Lobok posted:

I see no Carlie Cooper superfans have chimed in yet.

I actually liked that character and thought she was a better fit for peter

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

90sgamer posted:

I actually liked that character and thought she was a better fit for peter

I liked her at the beginning. I don't really have strong feelings about her later stories because frankly I don't remember what happened.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

X-O posted:

That 'for some reason' is because ROM is and was loving awesome.

You've got a hell of a collection there.

:respek:

Thanks! And I think I always had a little ROM insecurity, besides it being a toy spinoff I never knew anyone else who got into it.

I never even found out how it all ended! Glad he and Brandy got to repopulate Galador together :wiggle:

And now he’s getting an omnibus? Awesome. I’m a little disappointed it isn’t called ROMNIBUS but I’ll manage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

Lobok posted:

I liked her at the beginning. I don't really have strong feelings about her later stories because frankly I don't remember what happened.

I remember they turned her into a goblin or lizard or some poo poo and then I stopped reading 616 spider man