Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Mooseontheloose posted:

Bill Potts - Cyberized - worst fate.

She got better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

howe_sam posted:

She got better!

Sort of.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

The doctor being mostly in control of the TARDIS and the material realities of television production where actors want to move on create a circumstance where companions only leave in times of crisis or under tragic circumstances because otherwise the doctor could just take them home but also why would they want to go home?

Honestly, I feel like instead of shooting Amy and Rory off into the past, they could've just had them say 'enough is enough' after having to mutually commit suicide at the end of Angels take Manhattan to survive. They'd been building TARDIS fatigue on them for a while.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Not even only "sort of" she and the Pilot girl became humans again for a time and grew old together according to some of the bonus stories/comics or something.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, I feel like instead of shooting Amy and Rory off into the past, they could've just had them say 'enough is enough' after having to mutually commit suicide at the end of Angels take Manhattan to survive. They'd been building TARDIS fatigue on them for a while.

I think Moffat felt like he had to get them somewhere that he wouldn't have to justify why the Doc didn't go and see them any more. It would have been nice if they'd just gone "yeah this has all been too much and we need to just go and settle down now thanks".

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

God, how has this NOT happened yet? There's SO MANY companions across all of the Who expanded universe and I can't think of a single one that's "I'm coming with you to figure this thing out and then I'm off".

Day of the Companions 61st anniversary special please.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

howe_sam posted:

She got better!

Plus, thanks to the Testimony Foundation, everyone got better sort of!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Arthur Darvill could have totally sold a mini-Rory rant about how many times he's died or been plastic and maybe next time he finds out Amy is his great-great-grandmother or something and he'd just as soon not take the chance.

It's telling in the Moffat run that he can see the Doctor repeatedly killing himself for over a billion years to save Clara but not the Doctor repeatedly visiting retired companions. "He never did that before" isn't a great excuse on a show like this, that wouldn't still be on the air if it weren't about "the Doctor can do that?!"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He did keep doing that, with Amy and Rory specifically. Him just being there kept dragging them into things, but they were family, he couldn't keep away unless he had no other choice.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dabir posted:

He did keep doing that, with Amy and Rory specifically. Him just being there kept dragging them into things, but they were family, he couldn't keep away unless he had no other choice.

Well, he wasn't just visiting them, they were coming along with him. It could've worked if they'd left by the two of them retiring from the TARDIS and show but it's implied he just occasionally visited them but they won't ever join him on journeys.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Dabir posted:

Moffat really liked using DW as a way to explore toxic relationships, didn't he? :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Narsham posted:

Arthur Darvill could have totally sold a mini-Rory rant about how many times he's died or been plastic and maybe next time he finds out Amy is his great-great-grandmother or something and he'd just as soon not take the chance.

It's telling in the Moffat run that he can see the Doctor repeatedly killing himself for over a billion years to save Clara but not the Doctor repeatedly visiting retired companions. "He never did that before" isn't a great excuse on a show like this, that wouldn't still be on the air if it weren't about "the Doctor can do that?!"

"The Doctor visits all his old companions all the time, it's just that swinging by for tea and a pleasant conversation isn't exciting television," is a way better approach.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

"The Doctor visits all his old companions all the time, it's just that swinging by for tea and a pleasant conversation isn't exciting television," is a way better approach.

I for one would applaud a showrunner with the courage to have the Doctor show up in a past companion's current life, have them sit down to tea, and then slowly over the course of the episode realize that, aside from their adventures, they absolutely cannot relate to each other. No monsters or aliens or mad scientists or universe-ending peril. Just two characters who figure out that there's no real reason for them to stay in touch any more. Like that one episode of Frasier where he and Woody meet up and then realize they just have zero things in common apart from spending time at Cheers.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I'm just listening to random Murray Gold tracks from all the doctors he did and they're so good. They evoke so many feelings, now I know some of that is the actors and writing and stuff but anyway I'm just so glad hes back

There was a lot of Moffat hate last few pages but I hope Davies can get him to come write some episodes too. Hopefully he's still good at writing doctor who

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Resdfru posted:

I'm just listening to random Murray Gold tracks from all the doctors he did and they're so good. They evoke so many feelings, now I know some of that is the actors and writing and stuff but anyway I'm just so glad hes back

There was a lot of Moffat hate last few pages but I hope Davies can get him to come write some episodes too. Hopefully he's still good at writing doctor who

One of my big regrets is that we never got an RTD episode written while Moffat was the showrunner, I would have loved to have seen that dynamic. Closest we got was RTD writing 11 in Sarah Jane Adventures, which was a lot of fun but not quite the same thing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Resdfru posted:

I still love a lot of his themes, and hope we hear the Gallifrey leitmotif again soon.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

One of my big regrets is that we never got an RTD episode written while Moffat was the showrunner, I would have loved to have seen that dynamic. Closest we got was RTD writing 11 in Sarah Jane Adventures, which was a lot of fun but not quite the same thing.

Is Moffat interested in writing for the new series?

Cause gently caress me I'd love to see what he could do for Gatwa

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Infinitum posted:

Is Moffat interested in writing for the new series?

Cause gently caress me I'd love to see what he could do for Gatwa

He's hinted heavily on instagram that he may.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well drat, I'd love that. Not really interested in any of the shows he's writing now based on what I've heard, but I still have very positive memories of his stuff in Doctor Who, and getting to just write a story without any of the other stresses and responsibilities plus having to work under RTD's authority I think could hopefully produce some of the old magic.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

He's hinted heavily on instagram that he may.

Give him a 2 parter, let him cook.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

The_Doctor posted:

I still love a lot of his themes, and hope we hear the Gallifrey leitmotif again soon.

It was in Wild Blue Yonder!

https://twitter.com/thenickofit/status/1731063505837494350

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think a random two-parter from him has a chance of being good, but after watching some of his other stuff, I'm frustrated with him. He was given a huge opportunity with Inside Man and he used it to do a really bad version of the already pretty tired "One Bad Day" hypothesis that sacrificed any good will it could have earned by ending on a cliffhanger to try to force a season 2 on something that shouldn't have had one. He can't move past his bad habits.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Something that annoyed me about later Capaldi was his transformation into Cool Dad Doctor. It was like he walked onto set and went "I am going to wear what I came in on, and give me sunglasses and let me play my guitar.

Also, about the timeless child, using She pronouns for the pre kidnapped Doctor, was that implying Jodie was actually the original form of the Doctor?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh, I can just make that out. Nice!

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Something that annoyed me about later Capaldi was his transformation into Cool Dad Doctor. It was like he walked onto set and went "I am going to wear what I came in on, and give me sunglasses and let me play my guitar.

Also, about the timeless child, using She pronouns for the pre kidnapped Doctor, was that implying Jodie was actually the original form of the Doctor?

No. It was just a random child actress with no lines who regenerates into a dozen other random kids with no lines.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Is there anything good in the Chibnall era? I think I bowed out after a few episodes because it was really quite... boring.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

keep punching joe posted:

Is there anything good in the Chibnall era? I think I bowed out after a few episodes because it was really quite... boring.

Sacha Dhawan as the Master just devours scenery

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

Village of the Angels does a good job of bringing the Angels back in line with their original, scarier portrayal. Unfortunately it's one of the Flux episodes so it ends with a cliffhanger that doesn't make sense and is just resolved with a "none of that mattered".

Power of the Doctor is an alright story that brings a bunch of people back in nice cameos and has fun with the Master. It's a bit of a mess, but an enjoyable one.

Everything else, skip it. It ranges from "this wasn't thought out very well" (Rosa, It Takes You Away, Demons of the Punjab) to "maybe they should hust cancel the series again for a decade" (Ker-blam, the rest of Flux, The Timeless Child).

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

jisforjosh posted:

Sacha Dhawan as the Master just devours scenery

Yeah there's plenty of BITS that are fun but not many whole episodes. Demons of the Punjab is the closest thing we've had to a straight historical in New Who and I thought it was really good. Fugitive of the Judoon gives us Jo Martin. Haunting of the Villa Diodati is a fun creepy time and introduces Ashad who's great. Village of the Angels is probably the best use of the weeping angels since Blink.

Oh and Orphan 55 is maybe the worst episode of the revival show and is probably top five for the show as a whole so that's notable.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, there's good bits scattered across the episodes, but they're very rarely good episodes from start to finish.

Power of the Doctor is a nightmare of a mess, and I'm absolutely convinced it was plotted/written by AI. Characters wander in from nowhere, and then disappear just as suddenly with no followup. There's plot non-sequiturs all over the place, and it's incredibly frustrating to watch. It all falls apart the moment you pause to think 'hang on...'

If that really had been the series finale of NuWho, it would have been the wettest fart to finish on.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Oh and Orphan 55 is maybe the worst episode of the revival show and is probably top five for the show as a whole so that's notable.

It did not feature the Doctor saying that giant, faceless corporations weren't the problem, so it wasn't even the worst of the season.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Orphan 55 was the second season.

Also Demons of the Punjab's plot centers around benign characters saying something absolutely nobody would ever say in order to look like villains for no reason, then the Doctor goes "oh I'm so sorry, I didn't realise my racist assumption was out of date. I'll make a more up to date racist assumption if I see you again"

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

McGann posted:

Wow. Thank you for pointing this out, I have never made the connection before but it makes perfect sense now that you've made the point. I really do appreciate your input in this thread, fwiw
Aww! Thank you! :glomp: And thank you for being rad about it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

'annoyed me' is a weird way to spell 'was rad as gently caress'.

I think trying to make Capaldi into the second coming of Pertwee like Moffat was trying early on was jamming a square peg into a round hole. The whole 'uni lecturer who stayed up until 4am at the student union doing mushrooms and jamming on his guitar' vibe fit him way better.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Dabir posted:

Orphan 55 was the second season.

Also Demons of the Punjab's plot centers around benign characters saying something absolutely nobody would ever say in order to look like villains for no reason, then the Doctor goes "oh I'm so sorry, I didn't realise my racist assumption was out of date. I'll make a more up to date racist assumption if I see you again"

Yeah OK I should have said "it would be excellent if it were a straight historical but instead you have to ignore the sci fi bit because it's bad"

And Ka-blam has a worse message than Orphan 55, for sure. Orphan 55 is a terrible piece of television regardless of the message it's trying to convey, it's like Bill Baggs was asked to put something together for the show using his normal budgets.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
055 broke me. My wife and I were just outright shouting scorn at the screen like some MST3K silhouettes and the episode just kept giving us more to bitch about by the bucketload. I've skimmed bits since, mostly waiting for it to get good again while she's been entirely done with "that jump-sharked kindle-unlimited dumpster fire", and this last episode is finally a show we can watch together again.

The only bit that didn't fit right was Tennant raging in the corridor, but maybe that's him trying to play up that he's not just 10-again, but a new '14th' doctor with a familiar face? But seriously minor quibble in an otherwise delightful good time.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

'annoyed me' is a weird way to spell 'was rad as gently caress'.

I think trying to make Capaldi into the second coming of Pertwee like Moffat was trying early on was jamming a square peg into a round hole. The whole 'uni lecturer who stayed up until 4am at the student union doing mushrooms and jamming on his guitar' vibe fit him way better.
I liked both, but vastly improved the latter. He *really* came into his own in his second season. Riding a tank into an axe fight playing a bitchin' solo. Aging rock star fit twelve so well it's hard to imagine why they even tried anything else.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Slyphic posted:

055 broke me. My wife and I were just outright shouting scorn at the screen like some MST3K silhouettes and the episode just kept giving us more to bitch about by the bucketload. I've skimmed bits since, mostly waiting for it to get good again while she's been entirely done with "that jump-sharked kindle-unlimited dumpster fire", and this last episode is finally a show we can watch together again.

The only bit that didn't fit right was Tennant raging in the corridor, but maybe that's him trying to play up that he's not just 10-again, but a new '14th' doctor with a familiar face? But seriously minor quibble in an otherwise delightful good time.

I think that bit made total sense in context, he'd let his guard down, confessed his sins to his best mate and it was all a trick. I'd have been furious too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah OK I should have said "it would be excellent if it were a straight historical but instead you have to ignore the sci fi bit because it's bad"

And Ka-blam has a worse message than Orphan 55, for sure. Orphan 55 is a terrible piece of television regardless of the message it's trying to convey, it's like Bill Baggs was asked to put something together for the show using his normal budgets.

Of the bits of Series 12 that I did watch, Orphan 55 was easily the second-least bad; I honestly don't get how an episode that is only 31% dogshit by volume has become the punching bad when Spyfall is right there.

Ker-blam, despite its politics, is still probably the second-best episode of its series, and it's competent in terms of story in a way that no other episode of Whitaker's I saw was. And really, is it that out of line with the rest of the era? There's a terminal amount of enlightened centrism present in basically every episode. "Would kicking this maniacal, murderous Dalek out into space just make me as bad as it is?" angsts the Doctor. She can't do anything to stop the Trump analogue because she would be stooping to his level. She chastises Graham for wanting to kill the creature who killed his wife and is also a mass murderer. The triumphant climax of an episode is a white woman turning over a brown man to the Nazis because he deserves it, the race traitor. Hell, Ker-blam's message basically boils down to, "Amazon is awesome, but maybe they go a little bit too far sometimes?" which is a line in a speech Joe Biden will give within one month of this post. By that standard, it's positively left of center for the Chibnall era.