Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Vim Fuego posted:

Spotify added audiobooks? I don't want audiobooks. On desktop I can use browser scripts to filter out the elements for audiobooks and podcasts, but the app is AFAIK not something you can edit like that

I don't want to hear audiobooks when I'm listening to music

Podcasts too althought that was ages ago.

I use Spotify for music. I want it to help me discover music. I dont want to listen to podcasts, I have friends I talk about stuff with already, and I am using your Music Streaming Platform for Music

Its like they came to the realisation that people dont want music, they just want to pay money to stream sound into their ears. Im sure there is some truth to that but lol im not paying $15/mo to Spotify to hear loving squarespace ads both pre-roll on the podcast and however many times they get paid to have ad-reads in the podcast too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

60 Songs That Explain The 90s is a spotify exclusive, other than that i use overcast for podcasts

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Killingyouguy! posted:

They should automate away as many jobs as possible, I seriously doubt being a cashier is a fulfilling way to spend your limited hours on earth

I agree, the challenges provided by homelessness and unimaginable poverty will build a more virtuous spirit and dignified existence for these desperate souls.

Anyway, everyone who hates self checkout is an entitled boomer, I type into my phone as I sit in my car waiting for the groceries I ordered online to be placed into my trunk. Of course I won't make eye contact with the person bringing them out to me, I have social anxiety

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Gmail has updated their chat interface yet again for some reason, it had been a few months since the last one. Instead of individual chats and groups being separated, they're now in the same tab which opens up an overcrowded menu and requires scrolling. It's not like the left side of the screen was so cluttered that this was necessary!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
This is probably a good time to ask if there's a solid alternative to Gmail in the event that Google shittifies it/kills it? You'd think it makes too much money to cancel it like everything else, but hey you never know. I finally switched to DDG from Google a couple months ago and it's way better.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Rochallor posted:

This is probably a good time to ask if there's a solid alternative to Gmail in the event that Google shittifies it/kills it? You'd think it makes too much money to cancel it like everything else, but hey you never know. I finally switched to DDG from Google a couple months ago and it's way better.

I pay for Fastmail and have for years. Works great and is worth it to me.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

atomicpile posted:

I pay for Fastmail and have for years. Works great and is worth it to me.
have been doing this for many years also. it's good.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Google will never get rid of gmail because their main revenue stream is surveilling you and having omniscient visibility of your email is the best spy tool there is

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

deep dish peat moss posted:

Google will never get rid of gmail because their main revenue stream is surveilling you and having omniscient visibility of your email is the best spy tool there is

:same: plus they want you to use their account to log into all the other lovely corpo-surveillance commerce sites, so they can track you cradle to grave

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Rochallor posted:

Protonmail is free but if you pay for it you get a good VPN and decent file storage and a lovely calendar.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

Well Played Mauer posted:

Protonmail is free but if you pay for it you get a good VPN and decent file storage and a lovely calendar.

I tried proton mail once and every email i sent to someones gmail account ended up in their spam folder. Not sure what was up with that but it was a deal breaker.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Well Played Mauer posted:

also they're pretty low on the ranking of vpns most likely to be a cia front, purely based on the fact that they advertise hardly at all, unlike the three that just popped into your head on account of them throwing money at every podcaster and youtuber with more than 10,000 views

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
But the vpn company says they keep me safe! I should give that company every single bit of my internet traffic!!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Duck and Cover posted:

Peoples show manners wouldn't be a problem if you didn't leave the house. For fucks sake.

This has always worked fine for me?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Denim Dude posted:

I tried proton mail once and every email i sent to someones gmail account ended up in their spam folder. Not sure what was up with that but it was a deal breaker.

If the system wasn't corrupt it'd be grounds for an antitrust lawsuit and the subsequent breakup of google into smaller corporations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Cactus Ghost posted:

also they're pretty low on the ranking of vpns most likely to be a cia front, purely based on the fact that they advertise hardly at all, unlike the three that just popped into your head on account of them throwing money at every podcaster and youtuber with more than 10,000 views

They are one of the most likely to be a CIA front. It has received funding from Charles River Ventures and is supported by FONGIT (the Fondation Genevoise pour l'Innovation Technologique) and the European Commission.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Rochallor posted:

Zoho is fantastic.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Not necessarily a "thing getting shittier" problem, but I'm disappointed that an AT&T "YOU WILL" commercial from the 90s never came true: The one with the guy loading up his pockets with stuff in a grocery store and then walking out through a scanner that instantly scans everything he picked up. THAT's the checkout experience I want. I know it would involve a tremendous amount of bullshit work to achieve in practice but I don't care. Workers doing bullshit work is the American way.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Mirage posted:

Not necessarily a "thing getting shittier" problem, but I'm disappointed that an AT&T "YOU WILL" commercial from the 90s never came true: The one with the guy loading up his pockets with stuff in a grocery store and then walking out through a scanner that instantly scans everything he picked up. THAT's the checkout experience I want. I know it would involve a tremendous amount of bullshit work to achieve in practice but I don't care. Workers doing bullshit work is the American way.

iirc amazon is developing this tech currently and trialing it at whole foods i think?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

A chain of sports store is sorta getting there, but not yet there. You have a bin, in which you can put your bag, in which you lower your products one by one. The RFID reader automatically reads them as you put them in your backpack.

Doing it all at once is more complicated (many different RFID tags attempting to send their ID at the same time is a problem) but i do think it's a problem that can be solved.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LimaBiker posted:

A chain of sports store is sorta getting there, but not yet there. You have a bin, in which you can put your bag, in which you lower your products one by one. The RFID reader automatically reads them as you put them in your backpack.

Doing it all at once is more complicated (many different RFID tags attempting to send their ID at the same time is a problem) but i do think it's a problem that can be solved.

It's one of those things that has been just shy of working for decades. Close enough that any big retailer keeps trying to make it work, but every time someone figures out how to deal with a big problem with it there's another one that arises.

Walking into a place, grabbing stuff off the shelves, and walking out again with everything paid for and no fiddling with transactions or cashiers will probably happen eventually. It's a trickier problem than it seems at first glance, though.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It may happen eventually, but not for the general public. The store will only be for subscribers, members, etc.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Ooo, then we can have a redo of the UPC conspiracy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47TZ9MHI1qg

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

iirc amazon is developing this tech currently and trialing it at whole foods i think?

They have it at T-Mobile park (the baseball stadium here in Seattle) and it’s unironically really great. You scan your credit card, walk in, grab whatever hot dogs or snacks or beer you want, and walk out. I’ve used it like 5 times and it’s never over or under charged me, even with dozens of people milling about in there.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Cactus Ghost posted:

The CIA isn't going to snitch on you for torrenting Breaking Bad.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Talorat posted:

They have it at T-Mobile park (the baseball stadium here in Seattle) and it’s unironically really great. You scan your credit card, walk in, grab whatever hot dogs or snacks or beer you want, and walk out. I’ve used it like 5 times and it’s never over or under charged me, even with dozens of people milling about in there.

And you can't think of any downsides or other applications for this technology that might not be worth skipping the checkout?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I rarely pirate anything but occasionally I have. My ex said any time she ever tried, she'd get an e-mail from her ISP basically saying "SAW THAT! Don't do that again!" but I never have. Maybe she did it way more than she let on?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

credburn posted:

I rarely pirate anything but occasionally I have. My ex said any time she ever tried, she'd get an e-mail from her ISP basically saying "SAW THAT! Don't do that again!" but I never have. Maybe she did it way more than she let on?

That's what a VPN is for. 10 years ago I'd only get these if I tried to get something that was from HBO or something, it's more common now. As long as you present an IP address that isn't yours, no more letters and no enforcement actions.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

It varies per country and ISP. ISPs in my country are very reluctant to share such data with the corporations that publish music and movies. In my case, only if you download movies from a domestic producer, you're at risk of your data being shared with the corporation.

If you torrent a few games, a bunch of music and a bunch of american or british movies, you're not really gonna be at risk here, because privacy laws are thus far more important than allowing foreign movie publishing offices access to your private data. Also downloading is afaik still fully legal, it's the uploading or seeding that's illegal. So in theory if you block your upload when torrenting, you should be able to claim that you weren't uploading a movie and not doing anything illegal. Could be wrong, idk, but VPNs are cheap so still a good idea.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I've never used a vpn and I haven't been arrested yet

I attribute this to not living in the US

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I got Nord a while back. My internet got shut off and I called and asked why and they said it was due to torrenting. I checked my spam folder and all of the messages from Spectrum about it went right there for some odd reason. I haven't heard anything since I got Nord. It's cheap.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Can't seem to find a source but I recall from back in the day that media companies were able to sue torrenters for huge amounts of money based on the premise that they were seeding pirated material to hundreds or thousands of people. So it's not that direct downloads are legal, it's that they could only sue you for $15 or whatever the cost of the DVD is and that's a complete waste of time.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I got Nord a while back. My internet got shut off and I called and asked why and they said it was due to torrenting. I checked my spam folder and all of the messages from Spectrum about it went right there for some odd reason. I haven't heard anything since I got Nord. It's cheap.

This actually brings up something really dumb that is poo poo recently which is spam filters. Both phone and email spam lists are based on people marking them as spam. So if enough people mark emails from a certain sender or texts from a certain sender as spam, everything they send ends up in spam folders. For the most part this is good, except a lot of people mark things as spam just because they don't want to receive the emails, not because the emails are spam. Like, instead of unsubscribing from a lovely mailing list with their ISP that they signed up for, they just mark the emails as spam. And I get it, because no one wants to get emails from their ISP. Except in cases like this it causes those emails to get marked as spam, so you couldn't have known that your internet was going to get shut off.

This happens with e.g. texting too. So like right now the job market is incredibly poo poo. If you get a text or an email from a place you applied to, you're technically best off marking it as spam because that might get them placed on spammer lists which could prevent their texts or emails from reaching your competition, the other people who applied for the job.

I've had a few responses to job apps over the last year go into my spam folder. It's generally considered the sender's responsibility to stay off of spam lists except in this day and age you can do everything possible to avoid being on a spam list and still end up there because people you email mark the non-spam emails as spam. If you work for a place that gets marked as spam incorrectly and you're the one who handles that poo poo, you're going to have to put in an inordinate amount of time and effort to get your company removed from spam lists, because different providers use different lists and there are dozens of lists that get used. You'll have to put in huge amounts of time to get yourself removed from each one of those lists individually.

Email in general is loving terrible and compromised/gamed beyond belief, much like SEO.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 4, 2023

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Every time I get a marketing call from my internet/mobile provider, my phone marks it as SPAM in big red font.

They're not wrong.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

This actually brings up something really dumb that is poo poo recently which is spam filters. Both phone and email spam lists are based on people marking them as spam. So if enough people mark emails from a certain sender or texts from a certain sender as spam, everything they send ends up in spam folders. For the most part this is good, except a lot of people mark things as spam just because they don't want to receive the emails, not because the emails are spam. Like, instead of unsubscribing from a lovely mailing list with their ISP that they signed up for, they just mark the emails as spam. And I get it, because no one wants to get emails from their ISP. Except in cases like this it causes those emails to get marked as spam, so you couldn't have known that your email was going to get shut off.

This happens with e.g. texting too. So like right now the job market is incredibly poo poo. If you get a text or an email from a place you applied to, you're technically best off marking it as spam because that might get them placed on spammer lists which could prevent their texts or emails from reaching your competition, the other people who applied for the job.

I've had a few responses to job apps over the last year go into my spam folder. It's generally considered the sender's responsibility to stay off of spam lists except in this day and age you can do everything possible to avoid being on a spam list and still end up there because people you email mark the non-spam emails as spam. If you work for a place that gets marked as spam incorrectly and you're the one who handles that poo poo, you're going to have to put in an inordinate amount of time and effort to get your company removed from spam lists, because different providers use different lists and there are dozens of lists that get used. You'll have to put in huge amounts of time to get yourself removed from each one of those lists individually.

Email in general is loving terrible and compromised/gamed beyond belief, much like SEO.

If I didn't sign up for a marketing e-mail and they started sending them to me anyways, then it's spam and should be blocked and the sender should be blocked until they stop doing that. It is not my responsibility to opt-out of poo poo that I never opted into. And there are a lot of big companies who just automatically sign you up for garbage without informed consent. So flag them, block them, and get them blocked until they stop doing this.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Rochallor posted:

Can't seem to find a source but I recall from back in the day that media companies were able to sue torrenters for huge amounts of money based on the premise that they were seeding pirated material to hundreds or thousands of people. So it's not that direct downloads are legal, it's that they could only sue you for $15 or whatever the cost of the DVD is and that's a complete waste of time.

I remember way back in the day some ISPs wanted to ban all torrenting but some big companies like Blizzard used torrents to distribute WoW or something like that and the ISPs couldn't do it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

If I didn't sign up for a marketing e-mail and they started sending them to me anyways, then it's spam and should be blocked and the sender should be blocked until they stop doing that. It is not my responsibility to opt-out of poo poo that I never opted into. And there are a lot of big companies who just automatically sign you up for garbage without informed consent. So flag them, block them, and get them blocked until they stop doing this.

That's literally the definition of spam and the correct way to use the spam filter, yes. But people will constantly opt in to email lists and then mark the emails as spam instead of clicking the unsubscribe button.

e: If you're in the EU you can report marketing emails you receive without opt-in consent as violations of the ePrivacy Directive and get those companies slapped with big fines

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 4, 2023

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah this is an issue. I signed up for a 5k a few years ago and got put on their mailing list. I opted out of theirs after a while but naturally they gave my info to tons of other running organizations so I'm still getting them and opting out from time to time.

edit: that's just one example of many

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Yeah this is an issue. I signed up for a 5k a few years ago and got put on their mailing list. I opted out of theirs after a while but naturally they gave my info to tons of other running organizations so I'm still getting them and opting out from time to time.

edit: that's just one example of many

In the US, when you unsubscribe from a mailing list they're only required to unsubscribe you for a period of I think 30 days and it's loving bullshit. This is the kind of thing the EU created GDPR to prevent but the US is abysmal for consumer rights and spam protections.

If you use a VPN to contact them through an EU ip address with a request to invoke your right to be forgotten, they have to oblige. Most companies will do it even if you're not on an EU IP address because they don't want to deal with the headache of potentially getting slapped by GDPR but for the scummy ones who don't apply GDPR protections to people in the US, they're still legally required to comply if you're on an EU IP.

Those mailing lists that resubscribe you after 30 days are incredibly appropriate to mark as spam imo

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

A million years ago I had a crunchy roll account and recently they decided I needed marketing emails 3x a day so I clicked unsubscribe and the page is loving broken and won't unsubscribe me from poo poo