Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Gnoman posted:

My 13 year old nephew is getting a PS5 for Christmas, and will need games. I have no idea what decent games are currently out for the system, because I've been out of that part of the console ecosystem for quite a while. Skimming lists is of limited use, because so many modern games don't actually tell you what kind of game they are.

Horror games are the obvious priority - he's downright obsessed with FNAF - but anything that's good is worth the mention. Age rating isn't too important, that's for his mother to filter out.

Horror that's age appropriate (13's kind of hard to target well on that front, FNAF is just a little above as safe/kid friendly as horror gets. I'm assuming you want a horror atmosphere, light violence, and jump scares but no actual depictions/mention of rape or torture or realistic child abuse) and not so indie that it hasn't been ported to PS5 is hard.

But

Inscryption

The Amnesia Games (I don't think they have anything other than horror elements that would be kid inappropriate, but you might want to check game by game)

Resident Evil 4

The Little Nightmares games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Gnoman posted:

My 13 year old nephew is getting a PS5 for Christmas, and will need games. I have no idea what decent games are currently out for the system, because I've been out of that part of the console ecosystem for quite a while. Skimming lists is of limited use, because so many modern games don't actually tell you what kind of game they are.

Horror games are the obvious priority - he's downright obsessed with FNAF - but anything that's good is worth the mention. Age rating isn't too important, that's for his mother to filter out.

Skimming this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_5_games

Marvels Midnight Suns might be up his alley, with the combination of Marvel dudes, an evil witch-demon-lady and so on.

I genuinely don't recall if it's appropriate for a 13 year old or not.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's too bad Lethal Company is PC-only because that would be a shoo-in

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

External Organs posted:

Hello recommendos! Are there are 4x games that don't involve combat at all? I've got an itch for something like that, but all I've ever really played is civ and for some reason the combat in that stresses me out.

Maybe a weird ask.

Offworld Trading Company, sorta?

Ouzo Maki
Jul 4, 2023
Really enjoying the train bits of factorio. Is there a game that is just those bits, or something close to it?

Things I like:

The logistics piece, specifically - getting trains to go around in an efficient manner, maximizing deliveries, lots of signaling, etc

Things I don't like:

Granularity in train speed/micromanagement

metaprogression in the sense that I don't want to upgrade my trains over time, I want to just move things around in more and more complicated systems

Thanks!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There's always Mini Metro, which is a train game distilled down to its essentials.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ouzo Maki posted:

Really enjoying the train bits of factorio. Is there a game that is just those bits, or something close to it?

Things I like:

The logistics piece, specifically - getting trains to go around in an efficient manner, maximizing deliveries, lots of signaling, etc

Things I don't like:

Granularity in train speed/micromanagement

metaprogression in the sense that I don't want to upgrade my trains over time, I want to just move things around in more and more complicated systems

Thanks!

With the understanding that I haven't played either very much:

Transport Fever 1 and/or 2 is all about organizing logistics and trains
OpenTTD has too much train iirc

e: Factorio is extremely moddable, you could probably tweak it into something like what you described

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's always Mini Metro, which is a train game distilled down to its essentials.
This and its pseudo-sequel, Mini Motorways, are really fun. Logistics-based puzzle games.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
There's another train building game by the name of "RAILGRADE" which seems to have more of a focus on the factorio-ish logistics stuff like delivering specific materials to different production facilities.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

What first-person games would you recommend for someone with motion sickness? A friend of mine has it, linked to an inner ear issue, and is looking to gently "train" themselves with vestibular exercises and a bit of time each day playing first-person games. I've suggested some slower-paced games from a first-person perspective like Powerwash Simulator, Firewatch, Talos Principle, Gone Home etc but I'd be open to suggestions, particularly from anyone who's had similar issues. Obviously anything fast-paced is out (so most FPSs) as is anything with head bob that can't be toggled off. FOV sliders are a plus.

Oh yes he said that he tried The Witness and found it annoying so I suggested he play The Looker.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Party Boat posted:

What first-person games would you recommend for someone with motion sickness? A friend of mine has it, linked to an inner ear issue, and is looking to gently "train" themselves with vestibular exercises and a bit of time each day playing first-person games. I've suggested some slower-paced games from a first-person perspective like Powerwash Simulator, Firewatch, Talos Principle, Gone Home etc but I'd be open to suggestions, particularly from anyone who's had similar issues. Obviously anything fast-paced is out (so most FPSs) as is anything with head bob that can't be toggled off. FOV sliders are a plus.

Oh yes he said that he tried The Witness and found it annoying so I suggested he play The Looker.

>sets steam library to show games tagged with walking sim

An Airport for Aliens Currently Run by Dogs
Beginner's Guide is short (beat in 90 minutes) and has some things to say that made me feel angry, but in an interested way.
Broken Reality - adventure game set in the early internet, weird
Death Stranding - not FPS, but it has a similar kind of motion and is just an incredible experience
Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist, short, fantastic
Eidolon - slow as gently caress, atmospheric, unsure if boring or fantastic
Exo One - Third person, but, well, watch the gameplay trailer and judge for yourself.
Kairo - weird explore a strange location game
Marginalia
Morels the Hunt - mushroom gathering!
Myst - the OG
Norwood Suite - plus another game by this dev is free, WEIRD as gently caress
Occupy White Walls - f2p build your own art museum game
Paratopic - horror game about smuggling vhses
Pathologic - you probably know this one! But the walking speed is slow enough that it could be helpful, and it's a wild adventure in its own right
Proteus - walk through peaceful procgen forests
Return of the Obra Dinn - walk about a boat! solve mysteries!
Stars Die - horror, weird
Tacoma - go around a space station, watch/listen to their old audio logs
theHunter Call of the Wild - beautiful hiking simulator. also deer terminator sim if you want, I guess

fwiw I too have motion sickness and have struggled a lot with Doom 2016. I've had success with investigating my inner ear issue, not eating a lot of dairy so my head isn't stuffed up all the time, and taking it slow, so I can play shooters now - but when it was real bad I couldn't do them at all.

e: if any of these recs are bad/too fast/etc, that's fine, skip to the next. I want to give you and your friend choices here

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah theHunter CotW actually sounds perfect for that use case, except I don't know that the headbob can be disabled. That's strictly as a literal walking simulator though--you won't starve to death or anything, but if you're not interested in shooting animals there's nothing else to do.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah theHunter CotW actually sounds perfect for that use case, except I don't know that the headbob can be disabled. That's strictly as a literal walking simulator though--you won't starve to death or anything, but if you're not interested in shooting animals there's nothing else to do.

There's photography :v:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Getting high as gently caress and playing COTW rules. gently caress yeah the forest owns, everything is so pretty, look at that big loving moose.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I got actually murdered by a whitetail deer once, I was apparently sneaking so well through some tall grass that I blundered right into it

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

murdeered

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

StrixNebulosa posted:

>sets steam library to show games tagged with walking sim

An Airport for Aliens Currently Run by Dogs
Beginner's Guide is short (beat in 90 minutes) and has some things to say that made me feel angry, but in an interested way.
Broken Reality - adventure game set in the early internet, weird
Death Stranding - not FPS, but it has a similar kind of motion and is just an incredible experience
Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist, short, fantastic
Eidolon - slow as gently caress, atmospheric, unsure if boring or fantastic
Exo One - Third person, but, well, watch the gameplay trailer and judge for yourself.
Kairo - weird explore a strange location game
Marginalia
Morels the Hunt - mushroom gathering!
Myst - the OG
Norwood Suite - plus another game by this dev is free, WEIRD as gently caress
Occupy White Walls - f2p build your own art museum game
Paratopic - horror game about smuggling vhses
Pathologic - you probably know this one! But the walking speed is slow enough that it could be helpful, and it's a wild adventure in its own right
Proteus - walk through peaceful procgen forests
Return of the Obra Dinn - walk about a boat! solve mysteries!
Stars Die - horror, weird
Tacoma - go around a space station, watch/listen to their old audio logs
theHunter Call of the Wild - beautiful hiking simulator. also deer terminator sim if you want, I guess

fwiw I too have motion sickness and have struggled a lot with Doom 2016. I've had success with investigating my inner ear issue, not eating a lot of dairy so my head isn't stuffed up all the time, and taking it slow, so I can play shooters now - but when it was real bad I couldn't do them at all.

e: if any of these recs are bad/too fast/etc, that's fine, skip to the next. I want to give you and your friend choices here

Thank you so much! Plenty of games I've played / heard of here and some I haven't. I'll pass the message on and hopefully some will help.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023

Hwurmp posted:

murdeered

Someone's been reading Drive Your Plow

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I want to play BATTETECH but HBS’s engine runs so poorly and ultimately I wind up just doing another career run with different mods until I get assault mechs and get bored with the same 8v4 fights. Is there a not battletech out there? Doesn’t have to be mechs, or even sci-fi but do want turn based, maybe a career mode, not Battle Brothers or WarTales. I really bounced off of them.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Naramyth posted:

I want to play BATTETECH but HBS’s engine runs so poorly and ultimately I wind up just doing another career run with different mods until I get assault mechs and get bored with the same 8v4 fights. Is there a not battletech out there? Doesn’t have to be mechs, or even sci-fi but do want turn based, maybe a career mode, not Battle Brothers or WarTales. I really bounced off of them.

Front Mission? It's much more story based but otherwise exactly what you're looking for I think?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Naramyth posted:

Into the Breach, maybe

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Has zero in common with Battletech but Wildermyth is one of the best tactical turn-based games I've played in years. Starts off pretty simple but quickly adds depth as your dudes mutate or whatever. Semi-career mode - characters eventually die of old age if they aren't killed in battle, but their children may join. And you can add the best to a roster you can pull on in new campaigns.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

Has zero in common with Battletech but Wildermyth is one of the best tactical turn-based games I've played in years. Starts off pretty simple but quickly adds depth as your dudes mutate or whatever. Semi-career mode - characters eventually die of old age if they aren't killed in battle, but their children may join. And you can add the best to a roster you can pull on in new campaigns.

This + Wildermyth is always a good recommendation

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I kind of bounced off of Wildermyth but I think I might have to give it another go

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wildermyth is really good but I'm also a massive sucker for procedural storytelling mechanics. I wish more games did stuff like that, but I understand that's it's something that takes a lot of effort to implement and is something that's probably not appreciated by most kinds of players.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I wanted to like Wildermyth, but I found the pacing to be weird. Felt like I was being rushed to constantly go forwards, and then punished for doing so.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

are there any games focused around exploring or being in places where people used to be or should be and now they aren't, for one reason or another. genre not super important but i'm not mega into survival poo poo and i know there are a couple games that would hit the vibe in that genre.

i just love exploring abandoned places, or something that kind of evokes that """"""""liminal""""""""""" feeling

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

An Actual Princess posted:

are there any games focused around exploring or being in places where people used to be or should be and now they aren't, for one reason or another. genre not super important but i'm not mega into survival poo poo and i know there are a couple games that would hit the vibe in that genre.

i just love exploring abandoned places, or something that kind of evokes that """"""""liminal""""""""""" feeling

Outer Wilds
Subnautica(hunger & thirst can be turned off)
The Stanley Parable
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Infra

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

The Witness, if you like solving puzzles.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

Outer Wilds
Subnautica(hunger & thirst can be turned off)
The Stanley Parable
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Infra

I was writing a list identical to this :v: All good choices

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Heaven's Vault if a sci-fi setting and language puzzles are fine. Edit: the places are long abandoned, think archaelogical sites.

Edit 2:
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Soma (maybe?)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

What's that game about wandering around fixing a power plant? Infra or something like that?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Can anyone recommend a newer WWII FPS that captures the spirit of games like the original Call of Duty and Medal of Honor: Allied Assault?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Tahoma
Cholo
I sometimes would get this feeling while playing 7 Days to Die with all the enemies turned off. Not really a "game" this way, just a way to wander around in a dead, empty land. Look for a ruined city.
Naissancee maybe?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Myst certainly has that vibe.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian, if for some reason you've not yet played them.

Unless it changes after what I've played, Cocoon.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Machinarium fits that vibe too.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 7, 2023

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

anything like OTTD but in space? (Like in outer space, so not Factorio/DSP)

Don't want the first person stuff like Space Engineers either plz

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

No Players Online is a short, cheap game about exploring an abandoned old FPS and its maps. Excellent vibes for anyone who remembers playing 00s shooters and watching them slowly become ghost towns

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

This probably isn't a good set of recommendations for you but it reminded me of a vibe I like a lot, which is that of a hidden foundation below everything. Bonus points if it's infinite and has gigantic pillars. Here's some examples:

Dark Souls

Control

Tears of the Kingdom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

The algorithm served this up to me, I haven’t checked it out but it may be up your alley. There seems to be a small but emerging number of games in this found footage/SCP/liminal space mini-genre.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2453060/Dreamcore/