Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The easiest way to beat bears is to not fight them in the first place.

Level on hard in the open world and the levels will fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I'm also done with Icarus, couldn't even really hold my attention for a whole free weekend. I started doing one of the tier appropriate missions (place radio beacons) and as I was running toward one I was just like "I could be doing anything else right now."

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Vasudus posted:

The easiest way to beat bears is to not fight them in the first place.

Level on hard in the open world and the levels will fly.

I’m surprised at quite how often bears spot me before I spot them. And realistically enough, some untrained space nerd doesn’t even come close to outrunning them.

Just feels bad spending five tech points on armor when the equivalent for weapons is wood->bone spears+bow and several arrow types.

I’ll try open world before the weekend ends. A lot of the one skull tier one mission mode involves you getting mauled by waves of bears or wolves so workshop credits are scarce.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
the thing with icarus is that literally like 90% of the original world missions are:

-make stone knife, crude bow, axe, pick, 4-5 stone arrows
-kill a deer &/or couple antelopes or wolves or whatever, make bone knife, bone sickle, 3-4 bone arrows
-fuckin slay out

at some point go into a cave or two and make an anvil, longbow, and steel knife/axe/pick but anything past that only matters if it's actually a T3/T4 mission

I use two armors ever, really - fiber armor when i'm not in the snow, and fur when i am in the snow. fiber run bonus plus the run bonus talent you should have from your weapons means nothing really catches you

oh and you can dodge the bear charge, it's actually really easy. either dodge them & shoot them when they recharge for easy headshots, or pop them in the face when they run by (spear easiest for this tho you can do it with a knife too if your timing is good)

and cheese the gently caress out of those stupid wave defense missions. I put a couple walls down in front of the scanner with a ramp somewhere so i can get on top and throw down like 6-7 hedgehogs and just obliterate everything from the top of the wall. there are a couple missions you have to defend from like fuckin elephants and mammoths, use like 10-12 hedgehogs for those.

Anyways, a lot of the animations & gathering/harvesting stuff in Icarus feels pretty good, and I like that the environment changes somewhat significantly between desert/temperate/snow and makes you play differently depending on where you start from and your biomes actual available resources, but the gameplay gets a little stale after you've killed your 500th "alien" deer and still not really engaged with much of a story and are just doing the same thing over again

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
This thread finally convinced me to get Vintage Story. It's good. I was panning for copper bits and blue clay, and then ran across a decent-sized deposit of fire clay in soil, so I'm set for clay for now. I made a cooking pot, a bowl, a storage jar (gotta make more of those), a crucible, tool molds, and a couple of crocks. Now I need more meat for stews and soups. I also found a peat deposit and made some charcoal. I'm expanding my house and adding a cellar to become my new food storage. I also turned off the drifters and temporal storms, and it's giving me Unreal World vibes sometimes. It's not 1:1, obviously, but it's hitting some of the same notes. I also appreciate the focus on "actual" techniques like knapping and pottery instead of just "attach rock to stick for axe."

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 3, 2023

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Icarus is decent in open world if you're looking for a gather/build/gently caress around game. It's quite pretty and the building (not building management because putting walls in your pocket is loving dumb) lets you do some fun stuff. It doesn't seem to do any one thing particularly well though and feels like the devs don't really know where they're going with it. It's mechanically sound but nonexistent in the story department. Play it on a free weekend or get it on sale, find a nice place to build a base and just chill out with your animal buddies.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Not technically a survival game but if you, like me, thought "Stalking and hunting deer in Icarus is pretty chill and fun" you may, also like me, unironically enjoy theHunter: Call of the Wild

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I bought Obenseur as well and agree that exploiting respawning items is the way to go. There is a surprising amount of stuff you can just take because it isn't flagged as owned.

I also like the dense "one city block" design, it seems very immersive sim.

My biggest complaint is probably that the economy is largely messed up. Bottles are everywhere and respawn a lot so you can get a little change, but items are also everywhere, including stealing. So you can live okay, but I feel like once I get my first tenant in the economy will shatter into 1000 pieces

Imo it's kind of fine. Once you get your first tenant you're pretty much done worrying about your personal needs, but the building upgrades are very expensive, the building materials are expensive (and at some point it becomes impractical to scavenge for everything) and there's a LOT of upgrading to do to for the more demanding tenants. Also, if you want to have nice furniture or crafting stations, that's also a lot of OC and RM and materials. I played up to having half of my building occupied, and I was earning around 12000 OC per day, but that's roughly just one new upgrade.

It almost feels like one of those incremental games, where you unlock a completely new mechanic and progression system. You play the scavenging game for the first 10-15 hours, and when you exhaust all of that content - ok, you 'completed' all this content, now you don't have to worry about it, try this building game.

On the other hand it is kind of wack how I found a stack of gold bars, multiple gold trays and watches randomly in piles of trash. Granted, there's no way to sell them now, but they could tune the spawn rates a bit. Or maybe just lock them to static, one-time spawns as exploration or puzzle rewards.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

I got theHunter free on epic at some point and yeah it’s pretty good and I assume somewhat realistic as far as hunting goes. Really difficult though, I had a hard time tracking the animals and actually being able to line up a shot before they detected me. Really hard to get that kill shot too. Video games have trained us wrong to always go for headshots. In theHunter it’s all about the lung shots.

I’d probably like something in between the super easy hunting in Icarus and the really difficult hunting in theHunter.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've never gone hunting in real life, but I did briefly play theHunter and it was - at least in my opinion - a bit of a snoozefest. I imagine hunting in real life is a bit more enjoyable, since you're out in nature, enjoying the sights and sounds, immersing yourself in the environment. To try and do the same in a videogame doesn't have the same allure. But then again, I'm one of the weirdos who never found Euro Truck Simulator fun

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I love theHunter but I rarely shoot an animal. It's just really gorgeous, lovely outdoor landscapes to walk around in. And they've just added Labrador Retrievers! A second dog!

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

It looks like Craftopia has had a fair number of updates since the really buggy Seamless World launch. There's enough players engaging with it that there's a full interactive map, too... though it is a little disappointing that it seems I already explored 40% in the couple days I played before a bug reset the world state. The endless frontier of generating new islands felt a bit more exciting to me.

I'm toying with the idea of giving it another shot. I never did quite get the hang of how to generate power/batteries for more advanced tech, and their monster taming system seemed kinda intriguing. I'm definitely wondering what they put in below ground once they replaced the placeholder underworld entrances. Of course, the other side of the coin is that if I wait to try out Palworld by the same devs, I might be less likely to get frustrated by the jank that often suffuses their games.

I heard that using the healing deathburst of green monos to cheese mining/monster processing factories might not work anymore, which seems like a real shame if true. I was very fond of those weird emergent combinations that let you automate or just progress way faster than the game seemed to expect.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

avoraciopoctules posted:

It looks like Craftopia has had a fair number of updates since the really buggy Seamless World launch. There's enough players engaging with it that there's a full interactive map, too... though it is a little disappointing that it seems I already explored 40% in the couple days I played before a bug reset the world state. The endless frontier of generating new islands felt a bit more exciting to me.

I'm toying with the idea of giving it another shot. I never did quite get the hang of how to generate power/batteries for more advanced tech, and their monster taming system seemed kinda intriguing. I'm definitely wondering what they put in below ground once they replaced the placeholder underworld entrances. Of course, the other side of the coin is that if I wait to try out Palworld by the same devs, I might be less likely to get frustrated by the jank that often suffuses their games.

I heard that using the healing deathburst of green monos to cheese mining/monster processing factories might not work anymore, which seems like a real shame if true. I was very fond of those weird emergent combinations that let you automate or just progress way faster than the game seemed to expect.

If you're toying with the idea of giving Craftopia a shot, you may instead want to wait exactly two months and just get Palworld instead, because Palworld seems very much like Craftopia v2.0

quote:

I love theHunter but I rarely shoot an animal. It's just really gorgeous, lovely outdoor landscapes to walk around in. And they've just added Labrador Retrievers! A second dog![

This is what I'm talking about. Walking around in the woods with my dog simulator is absolutely a game I would play

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Qubee posted:

I really wish there was a survival builder game in the same vein as Eco, where you just log on a server and it's community-based. People primarily working together to progress, survive and just generally have a good time. Let me chop my trees and build my homestead whilst creating crafts and goods to sell to the town. Something with the level of graphical quality Icarus has, but with way more depth.

I'm looking forward to games 20 years from now. I'll be able to live out my dream of being a New World settler.

Scratch the graphics part and you are describing playing Wurm Online or A Tale In The Desert

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Obenseuer seems to have a lot of poorly documented mechanics at the moment, but I'm glad to see they're making progress. Watched a video and the player didn't know how to chop wood for money because it's never explained (I assume you talk to the firewood guy?) but I do see in a new patch they already added a guy who'll tell you about it! So that's nice.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I’m not moving Icarus to ‘buy’ just yet, but it’s a lot more enjoyable in open world mode, just dicking around building a house and doing nothing in particular but what you feel like.

For now I think I’ll keep watching it on YouTube, and if the expansion content looks good then it’ll stay on my wishlist. If it gets continues to get better and the whole bundle is $40 or less or the missions and simple missions of the base game get better, I might get it. I’m less disappointed but ~$50-~$100 is just too much- I’ve got other games for survival and other games for farm and chill. I’m not seeing a compelling reason for now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

LordSloth posted:

I’m not moving Icarus to ‘buy’ just yet, but it’s a lot more enjoyable in open world mode, just dicking around building a house and doing nothing in particular but what you feel like.

For now I think I’ll keep watching it on YouTube, and if the expansion content looks good then it’ll stay on my wishlist. If it gets continues to get better and the whole bundle is $40 or less or the missions and simple missions of the base game get better, I might get it. I’m less disappointed but ~$50-~$100 is just too much- I’ve got other games for survival and other games for farm and chill. I’m not seeing a compelling reason for now.

I think this is where I'm at too, unless my friend I'm playing with wants to jump in and buy it. I'm having fun but the buy-in with all or some of the DLC is a bit pricey even on discount.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Vib Rib posted:

Obenseuer seems to have a lot of poorly documented mechanics at the moment, but I'm glad to see they're making progress. Watched a video and the player didn't know how to chop wood for money because it's never explained (I assume you talk to the firewood guy?) but I do see in a new patch they already added a guy who'll tell you about it! So that's nice.

No really, how do you do this? I heard it mentioned offhand but I couldn't find any actual place to do it. I need something to do during the day while my lazy, parasitic, "600 bucks a day is too much for an apartment with no heat/power/water/shower/kitchen" tenants sit around not paying rent.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

CuddleCryptid posted:

No really, how do you do this? I heard it mentioned offhand but I couldn't find any actual place to do it. I need something to do during the day while my lazy, parasitic, "600 bucks a day is too much for an apartment with no heat/power/water/shower/kitchen" tenants sit around not paying rent.

had to double check what thread I'm in

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Stick logs in the sawbuck in your apartment (you get one from the start in a recent patch) or use the one in the apartment contractor's spot. You'll have the option to make them into planks or firewood. You can get logs through loot, purchase, or there are a few spots with downed trees that you can chop.

FYI cutting firewood and/or planks is easily the worst thing to do for money.

Economic Cheesing Spoilers:
The real money is to find a good metalworking station and make scrap, or especially metal plates, into lockpicks and sell them to Passmore or the general store.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Spanish Matlock posted:

Not technically a survival game but if you, like me, thought "Stalking and hunting deer in Icarus is pretty chill and fun" you may, also like me, unironically enjoy theHunter: Call of the Wild

VegasGoat posted:

I got theHunter free on epic at some point and yeah it’s pretty good and I assume somewhat realistic as far as hunting goes. Really difficult though, I had a hard time tracking the animals and actually being able to line up a shot before they detected me. Really hard to get that kill shot too. Video games have trained us wrong to always go for headshots. In theHunter it’s all about the lung shots.

I’d probably like something in between the super easy hunting in Icarus and the really difficult hunting in theHunter.

Qubee posted:

I've never gone hunting in real life, but I did briefly play theHunter and it was - at least in my opinion - a bit of a snoozefest. I imagine hunting in real life is a bit more enjoyable, since you're out in nature, enjoying the sights and sounds, immersing yourself in the environment. To try and do the same in a videogame doesn't have the same allure. But then again, I'm one of the weirdos who never found Euro Truck Simulator fun

I haven't played the game, but the most typical real deer/elk/etc. hunting experience would be spending a day/weekend/week (in real time, not video game time) in the middle of nowhere getting up before the sun comes up, freezing your rear end off all day either walking around or sitting in a blind, eating camp food, and never seeing an animal. Maybe you get one, maybe your buddy does, but going home empty handed is super common. That probably wouldn't make for a great game if most of the time you "lose". Even finding some tracks or scat (they don't glow on the ground like in the trailer, lol) or seeing an animal in the distance but out of range and trying to close in can be exciting though.

Oh, and of course there's pounding beers once the sun goes down until you go to bed. I doubt that's in the game, but it would be hilarious if it was, lol.

I mean that's not every time, ymmv and all, but that's pretty common. The game looks pretty cool though, and quite pretty at least in the trailer.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Stick logs in the sawbuck in your apartment (you get one from the start in a recent patch) or use the one in the apartment contractor's spot. You'll have the option to make them into planks or firewood. You can get logs through loot, purchase, or there are a few spots with downed trees that you can chop.

FYI cutting firewood and/or planks is easily the worst thing to do for money.

Economic Cheesing Spoilers:
The real money is to find a good metalworking station and make scrap, or especially metal plates, into lockpicks and sell them to Passmore or the general store.

Oh okay, I thought there was a spot with infinite wood that I was missing but if it's just the sawbuck then you can get one for inside your apartment. If you want to do it right then you can just use the table saw in the furniture store instead.

Half the game is just finding who has each type of workbench that you can borrow. I still need to find a metalworking one. I found a place to purify water and it was exciting.

VVV No way, they probably put Jesus juice in the taps. I'll start getting debuffs when eating anything other than peas.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 4, 2023

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

CuddleCryptid posted:

Oh okay, I thought there was a spot with infinite wood that I was missing but if it's just the sawbuck then you can get one for inside your apartment. If you want to do it right then you can just use the table saw in the furniture store instead.

Half the game is just finding who has each type of workbench that you can borrow. I still need to find a metalworking one. I found a place to purify water and it was exciting.

you can get all the free clean water you want in the upstairs bathroom of the missionaries place, just fill empty containers (including buckets)

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

CuddleCryptid posted:

Half the game is just finding who has each type of workbench that you can borrow. I still need to find a metalworking one.

There's a mid-tier metalworking bench inside the lower floor of the raided apartment in Deekula B. Otherwise tenement guy has a pretty high chance of very cheaply selling a low-tier one, but the low tier one is so slow I recommend against it. High-tier is only from tenement guy also, but it's very very expensive.

And yeah, firewood selling seems... pretty bad for making money. My path was Bottles -> Farming (Greenhouse) -> Selling the contents of Kohola A8 or whatever the one bricked appt in there is -> Tenement Rent and then money nigh instantly stopped meaning anything for anything but tenement upgrades. It doesn't tell you put you can replant your harvests, which makes sense but missed me by at first, which turns the greenhouse into a 'check once every other day, harvest, replant, sell the rest for ~800oc' spot.

I've also poked at brewing and selling booze, but by the time you have the setup for that you've already got tenement income, and it requires three skills to be high to actually make anything worth a drat, still with high failure rates. Shroom growing is alright for passive income, both flowerpot lady and the shoomstore in Deekula C have decent rates for selling. And generic crafting is also a good money maker, for some reason lockpicks sell absurdly well and you make them 25 to a single piece of sheetmetal.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Jawnycat posted:

for some reason lockpicks sell absurdly well

I haven't played this one either, but it makes sense that lockpicks would be a high return on investment for the probable unsavory types that are buying them from you, so they would sell high.

an initial $X purchase for lockpicks = potential $XXXX in stuff they now have access to stealing, lol

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

LordSloth posted:

I'm really tempted, honestly...I'm still in the first temperate zone of the first map and the combat is getting better, I don't die as easily and I feel like things are becoming a bit more managable; I still don't understand how to tame animals, and the game runs a bit poorly but I'm having fun just doing the open world thing. I have Ark and the like but it runs such like butt and there's just so much going on I can't see myself playing it unless it's with a group of friends, or if you turn some of the decay wayyyyy down in solo

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jawnycat posted:

It doesn't tell you put you can replant your harvests, which makes sense but missed me by at first, which turns the greenhouse into a 'check once every other day, harvest, replant, sell the rest for ~800oc' spot.

What, just move over a full plant like you would with a seed?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jawnycat posted:

inside the lower floor of the raided apartment in Deekula B.

Do you mean the place that has multiple levels on the third (?) floor and the squatter in the living room? There's a workbench behind a gate in its basement but it's a workbench, not metalworking.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

Do you mean the place that has multiple levels on the third (?) floor and the squatter in the living room? There's a workbench behind a gate in its basement but it's a workbench, not metalworking.

There’s both.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah, that one. There is also a drillpress in there, which is a? mid-tier metalworking station, and it has power, unlike the one in the attic of Deekula A.

Vib Rib posted:

What, just move over a full plant like you would with a seed?

Yep. Just shove that bitch back in the soil. After like, two-three cycles you can fill every spot in the greenhouse with whatever. Also gets 10 farming skill very very fast.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Jawnycat posted:

Yeah, that one. There is also a drillpress in there, which is a? mid-tier metalworking station, and it has power, unlike the one in the attic of Deekula A.

Ah I see my mistake; I've only used drill presses on wood irl so I didn't register it as a metalworking station.

Speaking of the greenhouse, I can't seem to harvest any of the vine plants like tomatoes or bell peppers, even when the UI is prompting me to do so. Is it a known bug?

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 4, 2023

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

CuddleCryptid posted:

Ah I see my mistake; I've only used drill presses on wood irl so I didn't register it as a metalworking station.

Speaking of the greenhouse, I can't seem to harvest any of the vine plants like tomatoes or bell peppers, even when the UI is prompting me to do so. Is it a known bug?

Just in case you have the same confusion I did at first, you have to harvest the fruiting parts themselves, like pressing use on the actual tomato/cucumbers/etc, and it's a bit fiddly since it wants Exactly On not just Near Enough. But the plant itself lasts a long-rear end time and you can get multiple harvests from it before it dies. Otherwise yeah that'd be a bug, even if your inventory is full it'd just throw them on the ground.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

No, that’s an old but that’s cropped up again. I noticed it today, not sure if it’s been re-reported on GitHub.

The bugs that keep reappearing is still the most concerning thing to me.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm really tempted, honestly...I'm still in the first temperate zone of the first map and the combat is getting better, I don't die as easily and I feel like things are becoming a bit more managable; I still don't understand how to tame animals, and the game runs a bit poorly but I'm having fun just doing the open world thing. I have Ark and the like but it runs such like butt and there's just so much going on I can't see myself playing it unless it's with a group of friends, or if you turn some of the decay wayyyyy down in solo

lead a juvenile animal back to your base, make it a bed (tailoring bench), food trough, water trough & wait a while

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Anime Store Adventure posted:

No, that’s an old but that’s cropped up again. I noticed it today, not sure if it’s been re-reported on GitHub.

The bugs that keep reappearing is still the most concerning thing to me.

Yeah I've noticed more than a few for sure. There is a stove outside the grocery store that is forever grilling a rat steak because it can't be removed, for example.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Jawnycat posted:

Yep. Just shove that bitch back in the soil. After like, two-three cycles you can fill every spot in the greenhouse with whatever. Also gets 10 farming skill very very fast.

Is there, like, a way to actually tell what your skills are?

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

thark posted:

Is there, like, a way to actually tell what your skills are?

Nope. But they are only ten levels so once you see the 'level 10 [skill] achieved' popup (or achievement if it's your first character) that skills at max. A character statpage is on the list of things that are being added eventually tho.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I suppose addiction levels are also obscured? Ive been spending an hour a day to try kick my habits in the sauna. Still not sure if its working but i seem to need less booze and shrooms.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

I suppose addiction levels are also obscured? Ive been spending an hour a day to try kick my habits in the sauna. Still not sure if its working but i seem to need less booze and shrooms.

I think you can check addiction levels by checking in with the doctor, who iirc has a "check addictions" service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jawnycat posted:

Does farming skill have much effect? I noticed the individual crops you harvest can be poor or fine once they're in your inventory, but does the greenhouse man actually pay you more for good crops? It's such chump change I figure the skill difference doesn't matter much, even if it is factored in.