Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Lazy_Liberal posted:

wow i just this moment made the realization that supermarkets are the way they are because some general store bozos didn't wanna hire more staff and passed the labor onto the consumer
If the billionaires who run things had their way completely machines would do everything and they would be very puzzled as to why nobody has the money to buy their poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lazy_Liberal posted:

wow i just this moment made the realization that supermarkets are the way they are because some general store bozos didn't wanna hire more staff and passed the labor onto the consumer
Correct, this happened back in 1916, it allowed Piggly Wiggly to operate more cheaply than other stores.

Also they found that while shoplifting did increase, the shrinkage loss was more than compensated for by the increase in impulse buys. So it was also adopted to encourage you to buy more, and it kicked off the era of branding and package design to attract customers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piggly_Wiggly#History

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

VitalSigns posted:

You're supposed to post the content not be the content.

Just because people don't want to be treated like a criminal because businesses are too cheap to hire enough staff to ring up their purchases properly doesn't mean they're some wanna-be aristocrat demanding slaves to carry them around the store in a sedan-chair.

Not wanting to stand in yet another line for someone to ensure you're not stealing after you just waited in line and took the time to ring up your stuff is a pretty reasonable complaint
Did my post give you some warm and fuzzies, make you wish that was the way things are?? In America, there are people who want their experience at the grocery store to be exactly what I wrote. They exist! They're not even edge cases or crazies.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Did my post give you some warm and fuzzies, make you wish that was the way things are?? In America, there are people who want their experience at the grocery store to be exactly what I wrote. They exist! They're not even edge cases or crazies.

You wrote a FWD: FWD: FWD: detailing a type of rear end in a top hat that has nothing to do with the reasonable complaint of "having to scan and bag all of my groceries and then wait at the exit to show my receipt to prove I did it is a tedious and stupid waste of time that only exists due to corporate greed" and hoisted it up as some sort of grand own that we're all supposed to stand up and clap for.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

its antiquated. most of the time someone starts going on about the dole, they probably also have very strong opinions about roman history and also you shouldn't ask them what they think of BLM.
These Saracens are going to take Alexandria someday soon. The scroungers got another thing coming if they still think they’ll get the dole when there’s no more grain ships out of Egypt.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm sure somebody like that strawman exists, it's just a wild response to a fairly reasonable complaint about stores that waste people's time treating them like thieves to squeeze out a few extra points of profit

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I dunno, my niece was telling me people skipping items intentionally at the self scan, or scanning cheap items and bagging expensive ones are all over TikTok so a receipt checker isn't something too crazy and "greedy" in my mind.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

the_steve posted:

You wrote a FWD: FWD: FWD: detailing a type of rear end in a top hat that has nothing to do with the reasonable complaint of "having to scan and bag all of my groceries and then wait at the exit to show my receipt to prove I did it is a tedious and stupid waste of time that only exists due to corporate greed" and hoisted it up as some sort of grand own that we're all supposed to stand up and clap for.
It totally was though?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Medullah posted:

I dunno, my niece was telling me people skipping items intentionally at the self scan, or scanning cheap items and bagging expensive ones are all over TikTok so a receipt checker isn't something too crazy and "greedy" in my mind.

The greed is the fact that they'd rather do all of this instead of just pay employees to operate the cash registers.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

the_steve posted:

The greed is the fact that they'd rather do all of this instead of just pay employees to operate the cash registers.

*shrug* give me self checkout any day of the week. In and out much quicker than when I have to wait in line. And it's not like if they didn't have them the lanes would be filled with cashiers anyway.

Though now I'm remembering the last time I posted one of my Facebook group's anti self-checkout memes it turned into a 10 page argument so probably just gonna drop it now.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Medullah posted:

The greedy part is firing cashiers and making customers do their job instead, but there's a cost to that: extra shrinkage. Of course some people are going to steal if you trust them to ring up their own stuff. That's what clerks are for.
There's two ways to deal with that extra shrinkage cost if it makes the labor savings not worth it. One is to reverse course, "whoops that was a bad idea", and spend the money to staff the store appropriately. Buuut line must go up or the executives will have to settle for 40-foot yachts. So another solution: waste everyone's time with another bullshit line to double-check their work. Some people who aren't stealing are going to object to this since it's just more wasted time so the store can save money, I don't think it's unreasonable for them to feel that way.

If you don't mind that's fine, I feel the same way. I personally love saving labor costs for my favorite brands. While I wait I grab a buffer and polish up the floor so the board can fire some janitors and goose their stock options, a little thing called customer loyalty.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 5, 2023

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Medullah posted:

*shrug* give me self checkout any day of the week. In and out much quicker than when I have to wait in line. And it's not like if they didn't have them the lanes would be filled with cashiers anyway.

Though now I'm remembering the last time I posted one of my Facebook group's anti self-checkout memes it turned into a 10 page argument so probably just gonna drop it now.

You seem to be on the verge of a breakthrough here, please continue with this line of thinking

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I'm not sure what it's like in other countries but after our major supermarkets brought in self checkouts they've increased their staff numbers across the store, they're just doing more useful things.

Doesn't stop the boomers here from bitching and whining, though.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

iajanus posted:

I'm not sure what it's like in other countries but after our major supermarkets brought in self checkouts they've increased their staff numbers across the store, they're just doing more useful things.

Weird, do you have like a strong retail workers' union that forced the company to protect their jobs in exchange or something?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

iajanus posted:

Doesn't stop the boomers here from bitching and whining, though.

I'm struggling to follow the causal logic here.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Medullah posted:

There's only a line because the store is too greedy to employ enough people to staff more than 2 checkout lines at once, so they are outsourcing that work onto you and you are doing it for free. And then you get to wait in yet another line while an employee interrogates you about what you bought and treats you like a thief, I guess.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Nebrilos posted:

There's only a line because the store is too greedy to employ enough people to staff more than 2 checkout lines at once, so they are outsourcing that work onto you and you are doing it for free. And then you get to wait in yet another line while an employee interrogates you about what you bought and treats you like a thief, I guess.

you do realize that most people prefer doing the evil capitalist store's job for them for free, right? it's really not about getting conned, i'm 110% aware i'm doin a job stores paid poo poo wages for once upon a time, and prefer doing it myself.

also wtf hell stores do y'all go to that there's a line for receipt checking if it happens at all?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

you do realize that most people prefer doing the evil capitalist store's job for them for free, right? it's really not about getting conned, i'm 110% aware i'm doin a job stores paid poo poo wages for once upon a time, and prefer doing it myself.

also wtf hell stores do y'all go to that there's a line for receipt checking if it happens at all?

I seldom get receipt checked at stores that prominently have someone stationed to do it but I expect it's because I'm too white and middle aged to think I'm a particular shoplifting risk. This leads me to think that:

1. The same is even more true for most of the people I see participating in these Facebook like-and-shares complaining about it, but they probably got asked once and went into a how-dare-you spiral.
2. They're probably a lot more aggressive with anyone younger/darker/poorer looking than me, and that's even worse than if everyone did get bothered every time.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

shout out to my boy Glenn checking receipts at Costco. He’s been doing it for years. (I don’t hear anybody complaining about receipt checkers at Costco because Costco rules. And there’s almost never a line at receipts unless the store is absolutely slammed.)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Do most people prefer it, or do they choose the fastest line which happens to be self checkout because the store understaffs the registers on purpose.

I think you'd see a lot less complaints about it if stores (a) didn't use it as an excuse to cut jobs and therefore (b) didn't make the normal experience worse in order to push people to the cheaper (for the corporate bottom line) option.

I doubt anybody would minds if all the lines were just as fast and self checkout is an extra option for people who enjoy the zen feeling of scanning items / want to steal easier and/or are goons who don't want to interact with service workers.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

This feels like this may be one of those UK/US divides because certainly here in the UK we don't seemingly care about self check outs at all. Honestly seems like most people prefer it.

Have a few items, use a self checkout. Have more than a basketful, use a lane. If the queues for the lanes are getting long, they open more checkouts. Stores open and close lanes as required.

As mentioned earlier, some of those check out staff have been moved to "click and collect" shopping which has seemingly been around for years now.

We now also have self scan while doing the shopping. So you can use a handheld device or your mobile phone while you are shopping to scan items as you take them off the shelves. Paying for everything at the end takes about 30 seconds so there is no queue to do that. It's an incredibly popular system.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tsietisin posted:

This feels like this may be one of those UK/US divides because certainly here in the UK we don't seemingly care about self check outs at all. Honestly seems like most people prefer it.

Have a few items, use a self checkout. Have more than a basketful, use a lane. If the queues for the lanes are getting long, they open more checkouts. Stores open and close lanes as required.

As mentioned earlier, some of those check out staff have been moved to "click and collect" shopping which has seemingly been around for years now.

We now also have self scan while doing the shopping. So you can use a handheld device or your mobile phone while you are shopping to scan items as you take them off the shelves. Paying for everything at the end takes about 30 seconds so there is no queue to do that. It's an incredibly popular system.

For being world capitalism... capital, the US banks are hyperconservative about actually allowing you to give money to companies. I swear it was like 2015 before even chipped debit cards were commonplace.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I can remember far more complaints about having to wheel your own carts around the place from the UK side of the debate than there has been about self checkout.

Which makes sense because self carting was a far greater transfer of labor from employee to customer than self scanning.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

VitalSigns posted:

Weird, do you have like a strong retail workers' union that forced the company to protect their jobs in exchange or something?

The union that covers most of the supermarket workers is absolute trash that's been pulled up many times by the authority for coercing its members to sign up to agreements that are markedly worse for them.

E: there is a new retail workers union starting to muscle in to try to take over the space and they're a lot better, so hopefully they succeed.

iajanus fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 6, 2023

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

I can remember far more complaints about having to wheel your own carts around the place from the UK side of the debate than there has been about self checkout.

Which makes sense because self carting was a far greater transfer of labor from employee to customer than self scanning.
When self-shopping was introduced in the US (before the shopping cart was even invented), it was partly so Piggly Wiggly could compete on price and it was therefore very popular because people were actually compensated for doing labor that the store used to pay someone for. You had a real choice, you could go to a traditional store without the inefficiency of everyone going back and forth getting stuff on shelves, but you paid more for the convenience. Eventually those stores went away because lower prices won.

If stores in the UK didn't cut prices when they introduced it, I'm not surprised people didn't like it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The prices were lower, but I remember a lot of people being convinced that they'd just do that for long enough to put all the general stores and grocers out of business and then put them up, which isn't too far from what happened.

There were also a bunch of other ways of doing similar kinds of cost saving at the time, like index/catalogue stores operating something like a paper-based pickup system, where even though you had to fill out a bunch of numbers on the paper cards in advance didn't strike people as quite so obvious a "you do all the work" move.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

When the credit/debit chip use started in the US, I remember seeing people post about how it was a world government set up. I cannot remember the specific reasoning they used but they totally said that it would lead to the downfall of the US.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

When the credit/debit chip use started in the US, I remember seeing people post about how it was a world government set up. I cannot remember the specific reasoning they used but they totally said that it would lead to the downfall of the US.

I mean...were they wrong? :D

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

That's everything here though. 5G, mRNA, artifical meat, globes, the UN, water fluoridation, sunscreen, walkable cities, it's all an international conspiracy to destroy America.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Don't forget barcodes. Making inventory management less of a chore is actually the work of 666 satans.

I could accept that it was a technology that matured at a time where in conjunction with brakes-off Reaganite capitalism it would play a part in 5 companies owning all the food supply chains, but nope, definitely 666 satans.

wait...

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Sounds like barcodes aren't that efficient if they need 666 satans.

I've heard things are moving to QR codes soon-ish. I imagine everyone will handle that calmly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A basic QR code can store 354.45 times the amount of data as a standard retail barcode.

That's up to 236,063.7 satans!

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Doesn’t hobby lobby still not use barcodes because of the crazy mark of satan theory?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
1500 Satans... Not great, not terrible.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

VitalSigns posted:

Do most people prefer it, or do they choose the fastest line which happens to be self checkout because the store understaffs the registers on purpose.

I prefer self-checkout and will wait in line to get into the self checkout area instead of going to an open register.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
A Horrible cult made it, but I always have to share this anti barcode bop

https://youtu.be/lknW2mzXMMY?si=_iDwjCsNrH_5Cs0i

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

For being world capitalism... capital, the US banks are hyperconservative about actually allowing you to give money to companies. I swear it was like 2015 before even chipped debit cards were commonplace.

A huge part of it was that skimming-style or card theft wasn't a huge issue in the US, so there was no impetus. At least, that's the story I was told.

borkencode posted:

Doesn’t hobby lobby still not use barcodes because of the crazy mark of satan theory?

What bar code would you even put on an ancient Mesopotamian artifact?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I can't scan a thing. I'll open this one.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Panfilo posted:

1500 Satans... Not great, not terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Someone once told me you have to choose which hill you die on: Get ready to fill out your reports on me, ‘cause I'm going to vent here. Frankly I expect some "unfriending" to happen and that is fine too.
I believe we all have the right to worship as we please, but I also know that our country, the United States of America, was founded on Christian principles. I believe we should be proud of our country. A quote is a quote. It should not be amended or watered down.
The news media should not be afraid to use the "Love of Christ" part. Why they state, “Because, using the words Christ or God might offend someone!” Well, now it's my turn to be offended!
I'm offended that the news media would edit it out. Offended that Christians are being asked to tread lightly, so as not to offend someone of another religion. This man, Jesus, loved God, loved his people, loved the world, and gave his life for the sins of all people. Those who “believe in Him, and accept Him as their personal Savior, will have everlasting life!!!”
This Founding Principle is actually embedded in our Declaration of Independence: “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.” Why would the left lopsided media continue to edit this truth?!
I hope every Christian or every person that believes in God who is OFFENDED will copy this and paste it to their status...
“If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under.” ~Ronald Reagan.
*Before you say it, I already know that a lot of you will say I don't know how to copy & paste.* It’s easy... hold your finger on this post when the word copy appears, just touch it, then go to your home page and where it says "what's on your mind", touch it and hold your finger where you would start writing your comment and touch "paste”.
If we continue to do nothing as not to offend anyone else, we will eventually be offended out of the constitution and out of a country!
If you read this to the end, can I get an "AMEN”???
🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸AMEN!!!!!
🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏