Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sounds like a nightmare.

There's nothing I dislike more than my electronics thinking they know better than me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

This must be a new thing since all my apps (even ones I only used once and forgot to uninstall) on my Galaxy S8+ update normally, either from the Play Store, Amazon Appstore, or F-Droid.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Feral Integral posted:

Is there a way to strikethrough on keep notes? Its a good app for todo lists but I can't cross my items out. Any recs for a similar app that can do this? Evernote seems commercial and bloated, I want something basic

AnyList baby. We pay for the family plan so we can use it on both of our phones (iphone, android) and our mother in law's phone. All sync'd, granular sharing, etc.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.purplecover.anylist&hl=en_US&gl=US

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Keep rules as a shopping list as you can hook it into assistant and just shout stuff at it to add, so if you use up something whilst cooking you can just add it straight away

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Keep rules as a shopping list as you can hook it into assistant and just shout stuff at it to add, so if you use up something whilst cooking you can just add it straight away

Wow this doesn't seem anti-competetive at all:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

H110Hawk posted:

Wow this doesn't seem anti-competetive at all:

Interesting. I can still add things to Our Groceries using Assistant.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

hooah posted:

Interesting. I can still add things to Our Groceries using Assistant.

Interesting: https://www.ourgroceries.com/user-guide#google_assistant - "Google Home" still works? Either way anything that drives the death of voice "assistants."

:laffo: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/06/google-assistant-kills-off-support-for-third-party-note-apps/ Don't buy IOT smart poo poo for your homes.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 29, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Tiny question that I hope isn't as stupid as it may be:

Does the Google Lens app do *anything* that the modern Google app cannot? Or at least do anything better than the Google app?

I do make use of Lens in situations where it would suck to find out in the moment that I cannot use one of the features on the main app. At the same time I am super neurotic and the idea of keeping an unnecessary application pains me physically.

Searching for the answer turns up that 'the modern Google app on Android does basically [and that's the word I'm curious about] everything that the Google Lens app can do'.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
It wouldn't surprise me if it relied on the Lens app being installed to get some library features but it could just as easily be the same app twice.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Bright Bart posted:

Tiny question that I hope isn't as stupid as it may be:

Does the Google Lens app do *anything* that the modern Google app cannot? Or at least do anything better than the Google app?

I do make use of Lens in situations where it would suck to find out in the moment that I cannot use one of the features on the main app. At the same time I am super neurotic and the idea of keeping an unnecessary application pains me physically.

Searching for the answer turns up that 'the modern Google app on Android does basically [and that's the word I'm curious about] everything that the Google Lens app can do'.

The real answer is neither and both: the Google Lens app is just a pointer to the Google Lens functionality within the Google App (installing it just gives you a launcher shortcut which fires up the Google app in Lens mode). So its utility/lack of comes down to what your launcher setup is/what your habits are e.g. If you're on Pixel Launcher where the the Search box with Lens icon is glued to the bottom of the screen its superfluous unless you want the option of launching it as an "app" /having homescreen shortcuts/autofill.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have the Lens app and plan on keeping it just because I don't trust Google to not arbitrarily decide to split functionality between apps or make the dependency more overt or do some other weirdness. As great as a lot of their software is, from what I understand of how they run internally I just don't trust them to not do something weird or annoying.

I think that's a fairly common sentiment - there are multiple posts in this thread about people who recognize that Google Keep is a great piece of software but that they won't use it because they don't want to come to rely on it only for Google to lose interest in it and abandon it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

So every so often when I open Google photos it asks me if I want to help train its AI or whatever by identifying photos. Then it asks "does this image contain ________." For example:

Do these ever end? I clicked until I got bored, clicked some more, then noticed there didn't seem to be a counter.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Really wish an image could be the thread title

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Huh, I don't recall ever being asked to do that. I wonder how they decide who to enroll/sucker.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Blue Footed Booby posted:

So every so often when I open Google photos it asks me if I want to help train its AI or whatever by identifying photos. Then it asks "does this image contain ________." For example:

Do these ever end? I clicked until I got bored, clicked some more, then noticed there didn't seem to be a counter.

what did you answer

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Party Boat posted:

what did you answer

Yes.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Anyone use an app for tracking blood pressure readings? My doctor recommends I keep a regular record. I don't mind paying a few bucks for it, and exporting data and nice (or at least functional) graphs are a must.

Bonus if I can track weight measurements alongside it. Or I guess other bodily measurements, but that's really at the top of want but bottom of need.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I haven't used it for BP, but Fit seems to have an option for that.

I'm guessing there are better apps, but though.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

my conservative dad says "no"

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Aaronicon posted:

Anyone use an app for tracking blood pressure readings? My doctor recommends I keep a regular record. I don't mind paying a few bucks for it, and exporting data and nice (or at least functional) graphs are a must.

Bonus if I can track weight measurements alongside it. Or I guess other bodily measurements, but that's really at the top of want but bottom of need.

If a general purpose app is ok for you, Loop Habit Tracker is free, open source, respects privacy. It has graphs and can export data. But I'm sure there are purpose-built apps that are more convenient and have more features. What I really like about Habit is how it doesn't do the things that for-profit apps do, which I will not bore you about.

I bought a blood pressure monitor for a family member for around $50, and it also stores history, though obviously it's going to be more limited in its analysis features than an app on a handheld computer.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 25, 2023

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I use this app. Free with ads. Keeps the info in a nice chart, adds color for hypertension level, shows graphs too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aadhk.lite.bptracker

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My Assistant widget has been doing this every couple of days.

Usually, I can add a new copy of the widget on my second screen and it fixes it, but it takes a couple of attempts. Now, I've tried like five times and it's not working.

I remember trying a reboot of my phone the first time, but it didn't work. Gonna try again now.

Edit: reboot worked this time.

Edit2: just got out of the car and it's broken again. I'm guessing battery saver mode does something?

Uthor fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 26, 2023

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
Anyone know what's going on with Vivaldi? For the past week or so it has all of sudden just stopped rendering text and other features on websites completely. They release an update and it starts working again but it's happened three times already.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Any app that allows let you connect to a specific wifi signal? either via widget or just shortcut

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

Havana Affair posted:

Anyone know what's going on with Vivaldi? For the past week or so it has all of sudden just stopped rendering text and other features on websites completely. They release an update and it starts working again but it's happened three times already.

Vivaldi Mobile's my daily driver and I haven't noticed anything.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Google has finally followed through on its threat to move Shopping Lists to Keep - where are they? Is there some special section I'm not seeing? Do I need to recreate my lists? Will I not be able to yell at my Homes to add things to a list? Have I finally been Googled?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You might need to do this to set up keep as your default note and list taker

https://phandroid.com/2022/09/08/how-to-use-google-keep-notes-using-google-assistant/amp/

I can shout at assistant to add to my shopping list in keep but I can't remember exactly how I set it up

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I shout at my phone "hey google add cum to shopping" it puts 'cum' in my keep list called 'shopping'. There was literally nothing done to set this up.

Wait, I lied. I did have to set Keep as the default notes app.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Why would you buy cum isn't there plenty at home

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I just make my own. The bank stopped letting me make withdrawals.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Medullah posted:

Why would you buy cum isn't there plenty at home

Sometimes you have guests coming over and not enough on hand.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

Aaronicon posted:

Vivaldi Mobile's my daily driver and I haven't noticed anything.

Reinstall seems to have made it work so :shrug:

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I'm surprised how much I am enjoying Niagara launcher. It really feels and looks quite good.

But $30 is pretty drat steep for a launcher, and I'm not sure I'd still enjoy it without the paid features. I don't suppose there's a cheaper or free launcher that is similar out there?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I've been using hyperion ever since Nova did whatever they did a while ago with their permission stuff.

It's been really good. Pro version is only 5 I think.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Digital Jedi posted:

I've been using hyperion ever since Nova did whatever they did a while ago with their permission stuff.

Wait what??? I'm on Nova now and have been for years. What did they do????

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I somewhat forget but it had to do with who acquired them and their sharing of your data.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Digital Jedi posted:

Nova is one of the saddest falls from grace in software. Its rear end used to be beautiful. What actually happened to it?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

They got bought by some data mining company but I'm not sure it actually affected the software. The bigger issue is that there's not much development happening any more from what I can see

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

eventually these apps run out of new people to sell to and their income dries up unless they pursue other funding (like selling out to an ad company)

niagara is expensive but their model means they'll have a sustainable income to keep development going long term

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

repiv posted:

eventually these apps run out of new people to sell to and their income dries up unless they pursue other funding (like selling out to an ad company)

niagara is expensive but their model means they'll have a sustainable income to keep development going long term

Yeah, despite me griping about $30 for a launcher, I do understand why and what they're trying to do. Niagara themselves had a blog post about it, how it allows them to develop without selling data etc. I respect that.

But it's also hard for me to justify $30 for a launcher. Maybe I'll feel different after the 30 day trial is up.