Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

So I saw Godzilla Minus One in a typical suburban movie theater, and as others have observed, was astonished that the theatre was surprisingly full for a Sunday morning matinee.

An elderly couple sitting across from me could be heard plainly sobbing at certain points of the movie, both annoying and comforting because I was tearing up at pretty much the same times..

Yes, the movie was stirring and great, and the aviation geek in me was tickled pink that the Local Fighter Shinden was an actual prototype plane made by Japan during WW2.. a fact I only discovered after I watched the movie and googled 'Local Fighter Shinden'

Its futuristic look had me thinking, oh, well I guess they wanted to make a 1940's version of The Super X, and boy did it look good in its CGI flights, I kept expecting G -1 to have taken a bite out of it while Shikishima kept razzing him.. And now to realize that it was a real plane (though only two were ever made) just thrills me!

Check it out, here's a photo of the REAL THING from 1945..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

even those lovely looking tanks were realistic in yea that's what they looked like yep..

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Minus one was fantastic. It knocked my socks off afterwards when I learned it had a $15million budget. That's insane.

The monster design was tremendous. The visuals of the damage and healing were perfectly done to explain the extent of G's vulnerability, and the level of healing, and it was very well expanded on when showing how the compression cycling was going.
The development from Godzilla 2000 dino-walking, to huge Showa era monster, and then blue glowing Shin terror, was also perfect. The way the destruction from the breath weapon worked, as well, impeccable.

I don't know if Godzilla has ever looked scarier than the shots of him pursuing the minesweeper in Minus One. Such an unbeatable visual.

The human drama was also spot on. I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed it.
Got to watch the Shin bluray on the big screen the night before, local theatre I volunteer at had a private showing of it. Missed it on the big screen during the original run, and it was great to see the difference between monster design, as well as the divergence between the politcal drama of Shin and the human drama of Minus One. What a great weekend.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Still thinking about the final battle and they're getting ready to launch part of the offensive and the battleship just comes flying past them. Godzilla owns.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

flashy_mcflash posted:

e: the sound design is just off the chain too. The scenes where it goes into complete silence before the world implodes are so effective, and the judicious use of the Godzilla theme are perfect.

That was a very palpable "oh poo poo"moment. You do not want this Godzilla in particular mad at you, your zip code, or your area code.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Still thinking about the final battle and they're getting ready to launch part of the offensive and the battleship just comes flying past them. Godzilla owns.

gently caress yeah.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

flashy_mcflash posted:

A guy in the theater went "HOLY poo poo!" at that moment, what a way to instantly raise the danger level.

Big Mac posted:

The monster design was tremendous.

This was one of my favorite details as well and a fun way to kind of tie all the Godzilla movies into some sort of cohesive narrative.

They firmly show that Godzilla existed before the bomb tests, he's some kind of deep sea dinosaur that legends have sprung up about. Then the bomb turns him into this constantly growing, constantly regenerating, constantly evolving monstrosity. So everything that happens beyond 1947 could be the same creature, or parts of this creature, growing and changing based on outside conditions.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

A Fancy Hat posted:

This was one of my favorite details as well and a fun way to kind of tie all the Godzilla movies into some sort of cohesive narrative.

They firmly show that Godzilla existed before the bomb tests, he's some kind of deep sea dinosaur that legends have sprung up about. Then the bomb turns him into this constantly growing, constantly regenerating, constantly evolving monstrosity. So everything that happens beyond 1947 could be the same creature, or parts of this creature, growing and changing based on outside conditions.

Draws a direct line from Shin, as well

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Binary badgers post brings to mind my feelings about how much I enjoyed the use of the time period. I thought that the plan to kill Godzilla by subjecting it to extreme pressure changes in the ocean was clever and made good use of the technology that would have been available at the time.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I wonder if Godzillas super regeneration ability came from the A test or if it predated it. This is WRT if the 20mm canon would have done anything at all

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Bip Roberts posted:

I wonder if Godzillas super regeneration ability came from the A test or if it predated it. This is WRT if the 20mm canon would have done anything at all

He seemed at least a little bothered by the rifle and small arms fire of the panicked soldiers, so I’d assume that baby G would have been hurt by the 20mm.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oof, just saw that wednesday is the last day it's in theaters here, so this time i'm going to the imax

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The bass from Beyoncé’s concert movie was bleeding into my screening. Kind of annoying.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I thought that the plan to basically turn Godzilla into a giant Alka-Seltzer was ingenious, and was a nod to how Godzilla bought the farm in the 1954 version, where we saw Godzilla literally dissolve with the Oxygen Destroyer in another hail of bubbles.

One of the scenes that got to me was when Noriko shoved Shikishima into the alley, then is caught in a blast and is swept away by G -1's fury- its like she is claimed by the ferocity of a force of nature, it was very saddening how she surrendered to it after everything else that has happened to her..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

I would like to think it came from the A test.. that one vignette of G -1 roaring in pain in the middle of the blast sort of said to me that was Godzilla saying 'gently caress all of yas, I'm gonna survive this just to pay you back'

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

One of the scenes that got to me was when Noriko shoved Shikishima into the alley, then is caught in a blast and is swept away by G -1's fury- its like she is claimed by the ferocity of a force of nature, it was very saddening how she surrendered to it after everything else that has happened to her..

Definitely took my breath away. The out-and-back of the blast was very striking and absolutely got me.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Big Mac posted:

Definitely took my breath away. The out-and-back of the blast was very striking and absolutely got me.

Same. This left me absolutely shocked. The imagery alone was insane but packed in with the soundscape too, I was completely floored.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
godzilla looks and acts like the t-rex from jurassic park in the opening because he's the good guy, like the t-rex in that film, and if you shot him with a big enough gun he would die.

the nuke is the catalyst that turns koichi's personal nightmare about failing to die for his country into post-war trauma for the whole nation, because it's very obviously about japan getting nuked. you can't shoot a metaphor with a big enough gun.

the film and its characters never confront the heinous crimes japan committed in world war II, which is why the climax's triumphant glorification of japan's ex-military and citizens all working together to kill the Other doesn't work.

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 4, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Big Mac posted:

Draws a direct line from Shin, as well

There were a few shots in there that I felt were inspired by the 2014 film as well (eg: Godzilla swimming underneath the battleship)

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

ungulateman posted:

the film and its characters never confront the heinous crimes japan committed in world war II, which is why the climax's triumphant glorification of japan's ex-military and citizens all working together to kill the Other doesn't work.

no poo poo??

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

ungulateman posted:

godzilla looks and acts like the t-rex from jurassic park in the opening because he's the good guy, like the t-rex in that film, and if you shot him with a big enough gun he would die.

the nuke is the catalyst that turns koichi's personal nightmare about failing to die for his country into post-war trauma for the whole nation, because it's very obviously about japan getting nuked. you can't shoot a metaphor with a big enough gun.

While true they don’t get into the what the Japanese military did in the war we do see all the characters punished in various ways, though usually with the death of all their family. The film takes the angle to not blame the individual people, but rather the government and its uncaring attitude for war. There’s the speech of course, but also all the complaints of government censorship and how the U.S. is just concerned about war with Russia and not a monster killing people. And Godzilla, their guilt and trauma of the war imposed on them by the imperial government (films view), comes and crushes Ginza, the place untouched by bombings.

How would you have ended this?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

still very confused as to why the nearest imax is in the 9th biggest city in my state, 45 minutes away, instead of the third biggest, 20 minutes away. but they only ran imax on Thursday anyway. do wish, though

also, while I'm with you on the American ones being stupid--a wide margin? drat. i loved it a lot, but i definitely can't put it on the level of the original

OK well MAYBE the movie that invented the CONCEPT of GODZILLA is better

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

checkplease posted:

While true they don’t get into the what the Japanese military did in the war we do see all the characters punished in various ways, though usually with the death of all their family. The film takes the angle to not blame the individual people, but rather the government and its uncaring attitude for war. There’s the speech of course, but also all the complaints of government censorship and how the U.S. is just concerned about war with Russia and not a monster killing people. And Godzilla, their guilt and trauma of the war imposed on them by the imperial government (films view), comes and crushes Ginza, the place untouched by bombings.

How would you have ended this?

i don't have a problem with the way the movie is; the hypothetical alternative is a movie where koichi convinces the rest of the garrison to stand down and fight alongside godzilla to finish the war faster, but at that point it's a very different movie, and a lot more like 2014 than this one already is.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Goddamn I think I liked this more than Shin.

I guess it depends on whether you dig Shin's pseudodocumentary style, but more godzilla movies should deal with Japanese post war trauma. It's not exactly Black Rain tier but it's a topic American audiences should see more of.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Name Change posted:

OK well MAYBE the movie that invented the CONCEPT of GODZILLA is better

lol

i mean to be fair the first Friday the 13th isn't the best so it does happen. i honestly enjoy shin more than the '54, but i do rank the original as the better movie, whatever that means. minus feels more of a companion piece to the original in a lot of ways, especially in terms of tone and the kind of filmmaking on display. i mean it does go out of its way to invite those comparisons

ah well. loving great movies

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i really liked the way the scenes transition with the time skips
like a chapter ends, and it just fades silently and moves on forward in time.

i tried watching Monarch like a week or two ago, and like all these random people get killed and I don't care at all about any of them.
here i cared about the people and the dread, and even cared for the regular people in the cities running away that just got their day ruined out of nowhere.

when Noriko was hanging from the train, I was like 'nooo please live, we just got out of a scene where there was so much hope'
She falls into the water, okay....then the best atomic breathe ever happens. And she gets sweeped away. Sure she's shown to be alive at the end, and you can even call she will live, cause there's no body. But the film does it so well that I get to be an audience again, and I do buy into the emotions its trying to portray and not feel like I'm being cheaply manipulated like in hollywood movies with dumb made up conflicts

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
and i just threw vs Megalon on because my kid sounded like he was saying "kaiju." I'm Of Culture

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

the trailer for Godzilla x Kong played just before -1 started, and thought it was a PS4 game

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

GateOfD posted:

the trailer for Godzilla x Kong played just before -1 started, and thought it was a PS4 game

What an incredible contrast of Godzilla characterization/tone

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 5, 2023

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
"Monsterverse" is just embarrassing at this point. No thanks.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

monsterverse rules. don't get me wrong, i greatly preferred the 2014/Skull Island tone or the KOTM tone of awe, but i grew up on poo poo like godzilla vs megalon so having the franchise take this creative direction feels entirely appropriate. much in the same way despite wanting to see more Godzilla myself, I appreciated how 2014 held back showing him too much

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I loved 2014/Skull Island/KotM but I have zero excitement for this new thing.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

"Monsterverse" is just embarrassing at this point. No thanks.

If you gave me the option to transplant into a universe where genre fiction/movies weren't 90% embarrassing, I wouldn't take that deal. To quote one of the most embarrassing movies of all, Beastly: "Embrace the suck"

FooF
Mar 26, 2010

Mandrel posted:

monsterverse rules. don't get me wrong, i greatly preferred the 2014/Skull Island tone or the KOTM tone of awe, but i grew up on poo poo like godzilla vs megalon so having the franchise take this creative direction feels entirely appropriate. much in the same way despite wanting to see more Godzilla myself, I appreciated how 2014 held back showing him too much

I come from the same era but I never liked the Showa stuff. I had two video tapes of Godzilla growing up: vs. Megalon and vs. Biollante. Even as a kid, there was ton of cognitive dissonance between Jet Jaguar and Godzilla being ringed in by fire by the Megalon and Gigan and this weird, funky jazz flute music playing in the background. It's like the two heroes were in a bad way but the music and overall tone was that of a Saturday morning kid's show. There were no stakes at all. Contrast that to vs. Biollante where Godzilla is getting impaled, acid sprayed, and nearly eaten. It was a darker tone but to me, felt less cartoonish, even as a kid.

G'14 was a massive step in the right direction, Skull Island followed suit. KotM looked like it had just upped the ante but instead got into more hijinks. GvK jumped the shark entirely and it looks like GxK is going to double down even on that. The next film will have Godzilla and a Jaeger-type robot fighting Gigan and a giant cockroach that burrows and spits fire...on the moon. Then we will have come full circle.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FooF posted:

The next film will have Godzilla and a Jaeger-type robot fighting Gigan and a giant cockroach that burrows and spits fire...on the moon.

I will 100% forgive Monsterverse for all their stupid poo poo if they do Jet Jaguar.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
i will also forgive it if we get the proper trilogy capper, Godzilla / Kong

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Power creep is inevitable when your franchising something that starts with the baseline of "giant radioactive dinosaur what breathes nukes". I can understand not being down for whatever insane direction it goes in obviously, but I think one of the great pleasures of being into nerd poo poo is seeing these iconic franchises gradually become more insane and over the top until somebody makes the sane decision to start over and go back to the drawing board.

Like nobody is out there upholding that the four movies that followed Planet of the Apes are any good, but they are fun antiquity novelties that tried to stretch the material to its upper limit. Then we had those reboot prequels which I personally enjoyed.

It's like a roller coaster, highs and lows

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Just saw Minus 1, loved it. You've got both Minus 1 and Shin with the realistic horror man vs Godzilla themes and the Legendary films for being big fun monster fight fests that I also unironically enjoyed. There's room for both kinds of Godzillas!

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Shin Godzilla was really good, but Minus One is the best in the franchise for me hands down.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

GateOfD posted:

Sure she's shown to be alive at the end, and you can even call she will live, cause there's no body. But the film does it so well that I get to be an audience again

I thought about not seeing a body meaning she might still be alive, but at the same time I was so struck with how intensely the atomic blast hit and leveled everything, that I believed not showing a body was another callback to the atomic bombs and the total vaporization of so many of the victims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

ungulateman posted:

i don't have a problem with the way the movie is; the hypothetical alternative is a movie where koichi convinces the rest of the garrison to stand down and fight alongside godzilla to finish the war faster, but at that point it's a very different movie, and a lot more like 2014 than this one already is.

That does like a good movie alternative though.