Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
AEW I Got You For Three Minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

has anyone tried the booking sim called Pro Wrestling Sim, in early access on Steam. tell me about it if you did. if you don't do it you're outta here.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Cavauro posted:

has anyone tried the booking sim called Pro Wrestling Sim, in early access on Steam. tell me about it if you did. if you don't do it you're outta here.

I'm gonna get it and let you know. If it's like Football Manager but with large folks slapping each other I'll probably have a good time.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Cavauro posted:

Last time I tried it kinda just felt like TEW with less stuff and an even worse UI somehow but it still gets updates so maybe it's better now?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Name | Status
-
apophenium | In Here
Drakkel | In Here

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I own it but haven't tried it, so I don't have an opinion yet. This might change at some point.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

IGgy IGsen posted:

I own it but haven't tried it, so I don't have an opinion yet. This might change at some point.

How does it feel to own it?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/BenTheBaneDavis/status/1728803341797392391?t=cEJUoKM98hM96827dajdbg&s=19

Do not patch, this is perfect

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

that's what a punch from goku would look like in real life

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So I got WWE 2k23, fired up My GM mode, recruited Roman Reigns and...

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Minidust posted:

what are some examples of the superior gameplay mechanics in Fight Forever? I'm skeptical because it feels like the "barebones presentation but BEST GAMEPLAY IN A DECADE" narrative was decided like a year before release. And it may very well be true! I ask in good faith, I haven't bought a WWE game since '12 on the Xbox 360 and that arcadey one (I think "All Stars"?) on 3DS
Ok I appreciate the Fight Forever gameplay discussion, goons! I should add that I'm a turbonerd with access to almost every pre-Xbox 360 wrestling game and the consoles to play them on. I've been meaning to stream more No Mercy and try the awful Wrestlemania 19 Revenge mode on GameCube, so sounds like that would be a better use of my time!!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Dig if you will the picture: Smackdown 2 is ever so slightly slowed down
I see what you did there, and I approve :golfclap:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Are there any "good" modern MMA/UFC games? I have a PS4 and a Switch as my "newest" consoles but I've also got a PS3 if there's a candidate there.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I've been having fun with EA UFC 4 on PS4, personally. Career mode is pretty good, Kumite and Backyard are funny, it's good.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Are there any "good" modern MMA/UFC games? I have a PS4 and a Switch as my "newest" consoles but I've also got a PS3 if there's a candidate there.

https://twitter.com/BenTheBaneDavis/status/1728803341797392391

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Kennel posted:

How does it feel to own it?

It's pretty comfy to know that at any time, should I get the itch and have the time, I could simply play.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Is that supposed to happen

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Obviously, have you never seen an MMA before

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Does Brawl 4 All count?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

This is why USADA test for boneitis.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Look sometimes these pure striker matches can get rough

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'm writing a piece on hard boss battles and it has me thinking, who's the hardest final boss in a wrestling game?

I never played it, but I remember hearing how Jarrett in the TNA game was some special kind of Hell. Then there's the special Undertaker and John Cena boss modes in the 2K games.

Master Barnes is up there just because 3 Count Bout is virtually unplayable to begin with.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I think one of the "canonical" examples is the Mickie James vs Great Khali event match in SVR06

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Gavok posted:

I'm writing a piece on hard boss battles and it has me thinking, who's the hardest final boss in a wrestling game?

I never played it, but I remember hearing how Jarrett in the TNA game was some special kind of Hell. Then there's the special Undertaker and John Cena boss modes in the 2K games.

Master Barnes is up there just because 3 Count Bout is virtually unplayable to begin with.

every apa handicap match in no mercy

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Gavok posted:

It's probably random but buddy let me tell you about the struggles I experienced trying to put Dude Love down for good in Wrestlemania 2000's road to wrestlemania story. Culminated in a hell in the cell match the month before mania. I had beaten him, barely, two times in a row prior. He beat me in the cell, took the belt from me, game over because Mania was next.

I've never raged harder at a game. Fuckin dude love.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Maybe that one match in the AJ Styles Wrestlemania Challenge Mode or whatever it was called where you had to beat Samoa Joe as AJ via submission and AJ only has one submission move and it's the only move in his entire moveset that does leg damage and also you're on a super strict time limit.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I couldn’t beat Paul Wight in Fight Forever within the time limit to unlock him. You only have a few minutes and he just no sells anything. I tried to get a countout win but had no luck.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

One of the earliest Smackdown games had like a tornado handicap match against the Dudleys as your second match. You weren't expected to win, but it was a rough introduction.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Gavok posted:

The hardest boss match I've ever had in a wrestling game was Day of Reckoning ironman match against the undertaker at Wrestlemania 20. It was actually a great match. I was down 4 to 5 and there was a minute left so I was making a strategy in my head about what to do when I play it again. Suddenly I got a flash pin with 30 seconds left and Undertaker goes to hit me with the finisher. I reverse it which gives me a finisher instead and hit him with my finisher and bam I get the win 6 to 5. Like it actually ended like a good wrestling match organically.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I couldn’t beat Paul Wight in Fight Forever within the time limit to unlock him. You only have a few minutes and he just no sells anything. I tried to get a countout win but had no luck.

i did that via count out, i just beat his rear end on the stage and ran away. It seemed impossible to beat him fair and square

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

UFC Undisputed 3 on PS3 is a pretty good time.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
There's no shortage of utter bastard match-ups - the aforementioned APA handicaps in No Mercy, and the 4-way cage matches in Day of Reckoning. But the few years where they made Beating the Streak a big deal were probably the closest wrestling games has to a true boss fight, instead of just a normal boss with a bastard AI or unfair stipulations.

Taker would literally cancel one of your finishers by teleporting out of it and behind you. He had other bullshit things he could do too.

Apparently it could be countered like a lot of Smackdown challenges though - moveset editing. You could neuter Taker's offense, or give AJ Styles more submissions, or make sure Mickie James has a moveset that doesn't trigger the big man counters or immunities. It's probably against the intended spirit, but in a hypothetical real life situation where Mickie James is booked to face Khali, she's probably not dumb enough to go and try and scoop slam him anyway.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

NameHurtBrain posted:

in a hypothetical real life situation where Mickie James is booked to face Khali, she's probably not dumb enough to go and try and scoop slam him anyway.

In real life wrestlers will always try to lift the giant.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
it's like walking by a Test Your Strength machine and realizing someone left a quarter in it. you have to try

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I love that the count out victory has been the technique of choice for wrestling game bosses for so long. Even in Nintendo Power/Fun Club News they would tell kids not to bother trying to beat Great Puma and just get him counted out. I was playing Saturday Night Slammasters the other night on hard difficulty and you can't even gently caress with Scorpion in the ring, just had to keep going to the outside and cheaply hit him when he follows.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gavok posted:

The "WCW Master" in WCW WRESTLING for the NES

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
e:wrong threaed

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

My favorite boss manipulation (or anyone) in wrestling is that for years of PS2 and PS3 games the best way to win a career match was to bring in a table, put it in the corner, then flop against like a fish until the AI got TABLE MADNESS and got themselves DQd for putting you through it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tato posted:

I love that the count out victory has been the technique of choice for wrestling game bosses for so long. Even in Nintendo Power/Fun Club News they would tell kids not to bother trying to beat Great Puma and just get him counted out. I was playing Saturday Night Slammasters the other night on hard difficulty and you can't even gently caress with Scorpion in the ring, just had to keep going to the outside and cheaply hit him when he follows.

Also the most effective speedrunning strategy in most games.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Gavok posted:

The amount of mashing you had to do in 3 Count Bout meant getting to Master Barnes in the first place was awkward.

Also sticking with the arcade I seem to recall the boss of Blazing Tornado being a pain to fight as well. I had to look his name up because I could only remember it was something von something. His full name is Hizelshustat von Ludwig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Suplex Liberace posted:

i did that via count out, i just beat his rear end on the stage and ran away. It seemed impossible to beat him fair and square

Took me about 15 tries but I finally did it. What a lovely challenge to unlock a character