Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

They added Peter Griffin, Family Guy killed epic servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

no one can resist Swole Peter

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I'm guessing political discourse killed epic

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 14 days!)

finished the final boss of tormented souls. it wasn't as bad as it seemed. nice ending. totally satisfying survival horror package, mission accomplished.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Finished up Alan Awakes Again yesterday, and in the end I think I really enjoyed everything except for the combat. If I play again it will be on the lowest difficulty for sure, but I'd probably pick up Control for a third time instead of playing AW2 again. I liked where the story went and ended, and the FMV stuff is probably the best I've seen in any Remedy game or maybe game period. I hope more devs start picking up more mixed media stuff in games, I think it works incredibly well. Hoping we don't have to wait 13 years for the next part and also that Control 2 won't just be Alan Wake 2.5. I'm fine with them being in the same universe, but I want them to stay their own things and the Dark Prescense not to be the source of every conflict.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Control 2 is going to be about finding your way to whatever dimension Darling disappeared into so you can record some rad musical videos with him

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Control 2 is going to be about finding your way to whatever dimension Darling disappeared into so you can record some rad musical videos with him

That sounds great to me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jesse and Darling reenacting the entire music video of Sly Fox’s Lets Go All the Way will save gaming.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Everybody in the Remedyverse getting together in Control 2 to throw a HUGE party and sing along to an Old Gods of Asgard rendition of “Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny”. It cleans up at the Game Awards. Videos of guys reducing their local McDonald’s employees to tears because they don’t have any packets of Jesse Fayden’s Dyno-Mite Hissauce. Elon Musk posts pics of Hissauce he’s bought by the crate alongside a shop of Ahti driving a Tesla. Petition to boycott the 2025 Oscars for not considering Sam Lake for Best Original Screenplay, but it goes nowhere.

2028 the Amazon-Netflix cartel releases a 10 episode season of the Alan Wake series co-created by, idk, Darren Aranofsky. People don’t like it and Sam Lake clarifies that the show is not canon

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 5, 2023

idontpost69
Jun 26, 2023
control reminds me of a modern network tv show I would never watch, like the blacklist meets scp.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

God I wish we had James Spader sleepwalking through AW2. Have him be the guy who says "If you're the writer and you're here now.. who's writing the plane??" while shots of lasers flickering through clouds of smoke are superimposed on the scene.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

idontpost69 posted:

control reminds me of a modern network tv show I would never watch, like the blacklist meets scp.

I fuckin' wish network TV would have interesting poo poo like Control on

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I was going to suggest EVIL but what you're probably looking for is BLINDSPOT

To be clear, BLINDSPOT is really bad but if you threw some decent cinematographers at it, it would be pretty close to a Remedy game. (EVIL is actually quite winning)

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 5, 2023

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

TheWorldsaStage posted:

There was the Lost Room miniseries, sadly nobody watched it so it never became a full series even though the story left an opening for it.

I played SCP Secret Files last night. Neat short game that has short self-contained segments about 5 SCPs. The gameplay is pretty simple, but it has a nice presentation and each segment has its own style. I believe there was plans to have more segments, but unfortunately the company is defunct.

Oh, and it doesn't resort to jump scares at all.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

IShallRiseAgain posted:

There was the Lost Room miniseries, sadly nobody watched it so it never became a full series even though the story left an opening for it.

I played SCP Secret Files last night. Neat short game that has short self-contained segments about 5 SCPs. The gameplay is pretty simple, but it has a nice presentation and each segment has its own style. I believe there was plans to have more segments, but unfortunately the company is defunct.

Oh, and it doesn't resort to jump scares at all.

Also Warehouse 13 which I remember being a pretty fun monster of the week type show.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Thanks for the recs y'all, EVIL was on my radar so I'll check it out. Ever since I was a teenager I never usually watch any show until it has an ending. I got burned too much when the shows I liked that were spooky or weird would get canceled almost immediately (Pushing Daisies still hurts :smith:)

E: SCP Secret Files has been sitting on my wishlist but I didn't know about the level of jumpscares. I love walking sims done right and I've heard good things, especially the dragon level?

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 5, 2023

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

TheWorldsaStage posted:

E: SCP Secret Files has been sitting on my wishlist but I didn't know about the level of jumpscares. I love walking sims done right and I've heard good things, especially the dragon level?

I wouldn't call it a walking sim because there is actual gameplay even if its really basic.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Also Warehouse 13 which I remember being a pretty fun monster of the week type show.

The Librarians hits the same niche only it isn't as good as W13

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Len posted:

The Librarians hits the same niche only it isn't as good as W13

The Librarians is "what if Doctor Who but American", right down to borrowing chunks of the soundtrack. It's good fun and I like it a lot but it doesn't generally get into the sort of unsettling weirdness that Control goes for.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Warehouse 13 is weird since it used to be a deposit site for a pen-and-paper RPG called GURPS. It was a proto/psuedo SCP where it just listed weird user-submitted items under the premise that they’re all contained in a warehouse like the one seen in Indiana Jones.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Fil5000 posted:

The Librarians is "what if Doctor Who but American", right down to borrowing chunks of the soundtrack. It's good fun and I like it a lot but it doesn't generally get into the sort of unsettling weirdness that Control goes for.

Neither does Warehouse 13 but it's a similar vibe

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

For the 'unsettling weirdness' part of Control I would nominate Severance.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sakurazuka posted:

For the 'unsettling weirdness' part of Control I would nominate Severance.

It even has "The Board", the unseen, unheard governing body of the company.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The visual aesthetic similarity (1970s interior design) is definitely there but they’re very different things. Severance is played more for dread absurdity and pathos than CONTROL’s mugging absurdity and “weirdness”, and it’s also way more willing to languish in mood and ambiguous character tension (or I should say, is capable of doing so) where CONTROL relies on striking visuals and extremely straightforward narration… Also one is more or less “hard” sci fi and the other is magical, if anyone really cares about that sort of thing.

Like not to put too fine a point on it but Severance is extremely Kafka, while I wouldn’t be surprised if Sam Lake never read Kafka but did play the Portal games repeatedly

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 7, 2023

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The Lost Room rocks so hard haha. Very fun miniseries and I love Peter Krause.

Channel Zero Season 2 definitely has some Alan Wake vibes. It has more of a focus on symbolism and emotions that Alan Wake 2 only sort of touched on and I liked it a whole lot.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I was really bullish on CONTROL until it became apparent to me that every uncanny valley-rear end dude who was like “gosh ma’am I just work here” was in fact a dude who just worked there. Everyone is imminently forthcoming and, worse, they’re always on the level with Jesse.

CONTROL plays with a lot of influences but the main reason I tend to bristle against Remedy games is that they tend to have the simplest, most surface-level takeaways from referents that are often really interesting. And when the referents are really weird there’s the unfortunate appearance of sanitizing those referents by de-complicating them.

Like, the other half of obvious reference in CONTROL besides SCP is Annihilation, and to me Annihilation’s facelessness of character is used to good effect in that the characters aren’t actually thin, it’s just that their secrets remain secret from the reader. CONTROL by contrast seems to take that method as a license to use simple absence of character detail as an atmosphere-building element… but the “office drones waiting through the apocalypse like they’re waiting for someone to restore lost internet” thing wears thin pretty quickly.

What actually pulled me through CONTROL was my overestimation of it; I kept expecting that the harnesses were the proverbial Radioactive Man goggles and that no one was actually safe from infection. But no, they worked exactly as they were said to, just like everything else is exactly as it appears. Iirc it wasn’t even a “power of belief” thing but a deus ex machina, another manifestation of the player’s benevolent Old God.

Anyway, people who are into the weird sci fi vibes of CONTROL might like PREY, an extremely good and very weird bit of mind-bending alien psychedelia; the visual aesthetic is similarly mid-century modern but blended with NASA functional-industrial design more than brutalism. Even better, it has characters. They’re often as clueless as CONTROL’s but tragically so.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 7, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
do you have an “off” switch somewhere

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

I was really bullish on CONTROL until it became apparent to me that every uncanny valley-rear end dude who was like “gosh ma’am I just work here” was in fact a dude who just worked there. Everyone is imminently forthcoming and, worse, they’re always on the level with Jesse.

CONTROL plays with a lot of influences but the main reason I tend to bristle against Remedy games is that they tend to have the simplest, most surface-level takeaways from referents that are often really interesting. And when the referents are really weird there’s the unfortunate appearance of sanitizing those referents by de-complicating them.

Like, the other half of obvious reference in CONTROL besides SCP is Annihilation, and to me Annihilation’s facelessness of character is used to good effect in that the characters aren’t actually thin, it’s just that their secrets remain secret from the reader. CONTROL by contrast seems to take that method as a license to use simple absence of character detail as an atmosphere-building element… but the “office drones waiting through the apocalypse like they’re waiting for someone to restore lost internet” thing wears thin pretty quickly.

What actually pulled me through CONTROL was my overestimation of it; I kept expecting that the harnesses were the proverbial Radioactive Man goggles and that no one was actually safe from infection. But no, they worked exactly as they were said to, just like everything else is exactly as it appears. Iirc it wasn’t even a “power of belief” thing but a deus ex machina, another manifestation of the player’s benevolent Old God.

Anyway, people who are into the weird sci fi vibes of CONTROL might like PREY, an extremely good and very weird bit of mind-bending alien psychedelia; the visual aesthetic is similarly mid-century modern but blended with NASA functional-industrial design more than brutalism. Even better, it has characters. They’re often as clueless as CONTROL’s but tragically so.

Yeah I finally played through Control a month or two ago and it was one of my least favorite Remedy games besides for Quantum Break. Lots of thoughts similar to yours. I was thinking "hey it seems like the story is about to get good", up until the point the credits rolled.

My other thought while playing was "Prey's story does everything this game does but it does it better and doesn't try to rub your face in it". I'm sure there's plenty of people who love both for different reasons but for me personally I could not connect to Control like other Remedy games. Remedy games also really try to connect the player with their (usually well developed) main characters, and while the game did do that I ended up coming away thinking that Jessie Faden is just really lame.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don't really see how Prey and Control are at all similar besides being sci-fi? Also neither of those games is all caps for the title? Both games rule tho.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I'm pretty down on Control, but I can't really see what either of the Prey games does better than control story wise, they are completely different narratives.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the main thing both games have in common is mediocre combat

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
It's got a place where people do weird science getting invaded by a force that takes you over and makes you repeat gibberish.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Prey lets you turn into small household objects to run around the levels as, though, which is automatically great. Imagine if Control 2 lets Jesse roll around as an empty soda can

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Prey lets you turn into small household objects to run around the levels as, though, which is automatically great. Imagine if Control 2 lets Jesse roll around as an empty soda can

That would be loving bad rear end.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

+2.5% to soda can roll speed

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Captain Hygiene posted:

Imagine if Control 2 let Jesse roll around as an ash tray

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Fighting Elegy posted:

Yeah I finally played through Control a month or two ago and it was one of my least favorite Remedy games besides for Quantum Break. Lots of thoughts similar to yours. I was thinking "hey it seems like the story is about to get good", up until the point the credits rolled.

My other thought while playing was "Prey's story does everything this game does but it does it better and doesn't try to rub your face in it". I'm sure there's plenty of people who love both for different reasons but for me personally I could not connect to Control like other Remedy games. Remedy games also really try to connect the player with their (usually well developed) main characters, and while the game did do that I ended up coming away thinking that Jessie Faden is just really lame.
I was really intrigued, initially at least, by how CONTROL introduces Jesse from the outset. There’s the direct address of the player (or rather, as it turns out, the player perspective character) in voiceover, but more than that I think they took a risk in giving you absolutely minimal context for who she is or why she’s doing what she’s doing through the beginning of the game. It’s a really rare example of Remedy challenging the player to just go with what’s happening when they could otherwise explain it.

They end up seeming to attempt a similar thing with Saga in AW2, in some ways — the way she and Casey are like “well here we are,” and the way they take the supernatural stuff completely in stride could be read as the game similarly signaling to the player that they shouldn’t expect those things to be justified. But I feel like it’s a bit overloaded by the metatext of Saga and Casey being fabricated and essentially not existing before the events of the story; they act the way they do not for character reasons, but because Wake writes them that way.

Another thing abt Remedy is that I feel like they keep looking for ways to season simple explanatory voiceover — in modern screenwriting, generally considered weak form — into something interesting, but whatever their meta-conceit (direct address of the player, narrated excerpts from a novel) the text itself remains uninteresting, and is still spoon-feed expository. There’s a reason people only realized Blade Runner was good when they just cut out Ford’s VO.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Mr E posted:

I don't really see how Prey and Control are at all similar besides being sci-fi? Also neither of those games is all caps for the title? Both games rule tho.

If it helps I could try my hand at modding PREY such that the telepaths and technopaths have models that are like, floating grand pianos and shade lamps instead of Lovecraftian monstrosities

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

They end up seeming to attempt a similar thing with Saga in AW2, in some ways — the way she and Casey are like “well here we are,” and the way they take the supernatural stuff completely in stride could be read as the game similarly signaling to the player that they shouldn’t expect those things to be justified. But I feel like it’s a bit overloaded by the metatext of Saga and Casey being fabricated and essentially not existing before the events of the story; they act the way they do not for character reasons, but because Wake writes them that way.

I thought that Alan basically is psychic and gets visions of people, and thats how he came up with Saga and Alex, by actually watching them work cases and then twisting them into characters. He did not realize they were real, and thought it was just "inspiration", but they did exist before the story. When they go into Bright Falls the lines between the fiction and reality start blurring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
at the very least saga is definitively a person who exists outside of wake’s writing - that’s the whole source of the conflict around her, because the story is struggling to retcon the life she already had in bright falls before her mother left