Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
If we can fast forward to when the baby sleeps the night that'll be great.

No joke that would fix 100% of my problems.

I'll even accept a double night feeding instead of this "refuses to sleep unless it's on someone" bullshit. I can do everything perfectly and he'll wake up after 30-45 minutes in the bassinet and need to be rocked back to sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Tonight, while the kids were playing before bed, my 8yo daughter got angry at my 5yo son and screamed "Kiss my rear end! I quit!" and went to her room. I couldn't stop laughing long enough to tell her that wasn't an appropriate reaction.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Renegret posted:

If we can fast forward to when the baby sleeps the night that'll be great.

No joke that would fix 100% of my problems.

I'll even accept a double night feeding instead of this "refuses to sleep unless it's on someone" bullshit. I can do everything perfectly and he'll wake up after 30-45 minutes in the bassinet and need to be rocked back to sleep.

Up until you start walking up at 3AM out of habit...

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas
A long time ago we gave up on having infants sleep by themselves and starting co sleeping until they were ready for the crib. SIDS is massively overblown when you look at how the studies are structured and we slept way better.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2065975/

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Gophermaster posted:

A long time ago we gave up on having infants sleep by themselves and starting co sleeping until they were ready for the crib. SIDS is massively overblown when you look at how the studies are structured and we slept way better.

This. Our daughter slept on my chest, was passed over to my wife for feeding, then passed back to continue sleeping on my chest. For months (she was tiny when she was born).
I also don’t move while asleep, so your mileage may vary. But at some stage, you gotta weight the risk of controlled, drug-free co-sleeping vs. the risks from long-term sleep deprivation.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My sister is expecting her second child next spring (currently has a three-year old), and I'm wracking my brain for Christmas present ideas for her and her family. What's something that you wish you had when going from one kid to two kids?

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Gophermaster posted:

Yea, it’s a little sketch to recommend it but in the 4 to 8 month stretch where it was godawful, my wife would just bring the baby in our bed and I would sleep on the couch. This was sweet because it was an hour of no obligations to anyone. We’re both stone sober people though, and I’d be more hesitant if we were drinkers or something that would dampen our response to a baby in distress.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

meanolmrcloud posted:

Yea, it’s a little sketch to recommend it but in the 4 to 8 month stretch where it was godawful, my wife would just bring the baby in our bed and I would sleep on the couch. This was sweet because it was an hour of no obligations to anyone. We’re both stone sober people though, and I’d be more hesitant if we were drinkers or something that would dampen our response to a baby in distress.

It's only "sketch" because nobody looks at the details. If the kid is healthy and not a premier, and the parents don't drink or smoke, the chance of SIDS is similar to the chance of being struck by lightning, and an order of magnitude less likely than the baby dying in a car crash. Nobody ever makes you feel guilty for driving with your kids.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Renegret posted:

My wife asked me how my mental health has lately and I didn't know how to tell her that I wish I'd get some serious but not life threatening illness or injury for a few weeks just so I can have a guilt free break from the kids.

Like, yeah I'm loving miserable but that's not depression talking, turns out this poo poo just sucks.

when our second was born i got so exasperated one day i asked my wife to explain how prison would be any better than my life and she shrugged and said honestly i cant, prison would be better.

it gets a lot easier.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

John Romero posted:

when our second was born i got so exasperated one day i asked my wife to explain how prison would be any better than my life and she shrugged and said honestly i cant, prison would be better.

it gets a lot easier.

Our older is 4 and this newborn popped out right as I was beginning to feel like I was regaining some semblance of freedom. Then we went and reset the clock like idiots.

It doesn't help that my wife had a difficult pregnancy so it doesn't help that I came into this newborn stage already at my limit.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Lobsterpillar posted:

Up until you start walking up at 3AM out of habit...

Jokes on you I get up for work at 3am.

Managing nights when I return to work is our biggest fear at this point.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

C-Euro posted:

My sister is expecting her second child next spring (currently has a three-year old), and I'm wracking my brain for Christmas present ideas for her and her family. What's something that you wish you had when going from one kid to two kids?

A time machine or, failing that, sitters who can take care of an infant.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

morothar posted:

This. Our daughter slept on my chest, was passed over to my wife for feeding, then passed back to continue sleeping on my chest. For months (she was tiny when she was born).
I also don’t move while asleep, so your mileage may vary. But at some stage, you gotta weight the risk of controlled, drug-free co-sleeping vs. the risks from long-term sleep deprivation.

This was mostly us too. Baby slept on my chest for about 4 months before we sleep trained. I didn’t like it, my back hurt like hell, but we literally had no choice as two working parents. America just loves to turn on parenting hard mode for whatever reason when it comes to sleep. Love my country with no parental leave and safe sleep best practices that shame you for not having a 99th percentile newborn sleeper.

Don’t even get me started on the ridiculous advice you get because of course it’s also bad to rock your 2 month old to sleep. Instead just put them in the bassinet when they are almost asleep so they learn to fall asleep on their own! Then they won’t be surprised when they wake up from a sleep cycle and you aren’t there! Bing bong so easy

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Wish one of those advice people would come over right now because I'm on failed attempt #4 to get kiddo in the bassinet. Since the last feeding. We're at 6 tonight.

But you know he stayed in there for an hour and a half earlier so, that's about an hour of sleep I would've gotten! That's enough to get through an entire day right??

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
You gotta sleep when the baby does, and you gotta wail unceasingly at a world beyond your comprehension when the baby does that too.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
One more week until baby #2 arrives. Hopefully that's enough time for 2yr old to stop coughing so much as she wakes herself (and us) several times a night

We still weren't sure about keeping her home from nursery, she normally goes on Tuesdays and Fridays. But the decision was essentially made for us when 1) she was sick last Tuesday 2) nursery informs us on Thursday that they have COVID going around 3) they then message us in Monday that they have cases of hand/foot/mouth. We're not going to risk another round of new and exciting diseases before my wife goes in for her C-section, and the nursery is closed during Christmas weeks anyway.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

C-Euro posted:

A third parent.

SixFigureSandwich posted:

One more week until baby #2 arrives. Hopefully that's enough time for 2yr old to stop coughing so much as she wakes herself (and us) several times a night

We still weren't sure about keeping her home from nursery, she normally goes on Tuesdays and Fridays. But the decision was essentially made for us when 1) she was sick last Tuesday 2) nursery informs us on Thursday that they have COVID going around 3) they then message us in Monday that they have cases of hand/foot/mouth. We're not going to risk another round of new and exciting diseases before my wife goes in for her C-section, and the nursery is closed during Christmas weeks anyway.

We came down with COVID for the first time 36 hours before my wife went into labor. That was...unfun. Apparently the receptionist shouldn't have let me even into the hospital, and there were some tense negotiations about me being in the delivery room. It helped that I'd immediately gone on Paxlovid and the wife had 0 symptoms, but we were still quarantined in our room until dischaege.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

C-Euro posted:

There is a neat light system for toddlers that uses colors to let them know when it is okay to leave the bed. They wake up at 4 -- oh, the lamp is red, maybe I'll sleep more.

Maybe that might work.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

A Bad King posted:

There is a neat light system for toddlers that uses colors to let them know when it is okay to leave the bed. They wake up at 4 -- oh, the lamp is red, maybe I'll sleep more.

Maybe that might work.

Hatch Rest Baby Sound Machine, Night Light | 2nd Gen | Sleep Trainer, Time-to-Rise Alarm Clock, White Noise Soother, Music & Stories for Nursery, Toddler & Kids Bedroom (Wi-Fi) https://a.co/d/5tGdX5M

We used it as a white noise machine / night light for 2 years, then introduced the red light/green light system. Took about 6 months for the kiddo to grasp the system and respect it but now he is all about it.

He brings me into his room every morning to confirm “it’s green ahead! It’s wake up time!” He always says “ahead” because he originally learned red light / green light from stoplights.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
does there ever come a point in dadding where you don't feel like a slapstick clownish failure ?

asking for a friend who may or may not be me

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
We use the Hatch Rest for the light system as well. It took a few weeks, but our 3 year old got the hang of it. Definitely recommend it.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

does there ever come a point in dadding where you don't feel like a slapstick clownish failure ?

asking for a friend who may or may not be me

Yeah, once you accept that every dad is a clownish idiot just like you

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
My son just started saying “I love you mommy.” I caught it on video and this will fuel me through another year of parenting :3:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
My kid watched Aladdin and now yells "JACKAL!" as an expletive (from when Aladdin calls Jafar a "two faced son of a jackal"). This is fun, because she gets concerned if someone uses the word "stupid," and calls it a bad word.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My 19 month old daughter is going through a sleep regression and it's driving me insane.

Things were going pretty well as of about eight weeks ago. She slept through the night (woke up at an ungodly hour, but I'll take it) most nights. Then we went on vacation with three other families, slept in the same room, bed and dinner times were all over the place, and it's been poo poo ever since, maybe a handful of good nights out of 50 or so.

She'll wake up anywhere from 11pm and onwards, screaming her face off about Mommy, and the only cure is to bring her into the double bed where she'll sleep nicely but perform breakdancing move for the rest of the night. It's actually gotten even worse over the past couple of weeks, before it was sometimes possible to coax her back to sleep, now it's zero to banshee in twelve miliseconds.

Any reputable guides on how to handle this?

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas
Sleep training is about consistency and not negotiating with terrorists.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
I think the greatest wisdom I would impart to any new parent (if asked) is you absolutely cannot give in even one time on something you don’t want to become a habit. For example, I let my toddler out of the cart once at the grocery store and now he absolutely refuses to sit in a cart and shopping is a huge pain in the rear end!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gophermaster posted:

Sleep training is about consistency and not negotiating with terrorists.

we've been letting our twins just sleep in the bed with us since we moved, and I feel like the day will rapidly approach that we desperately regret this choice

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

remigious posted:

I think the greatest wisdom I would impart to any new parent (if asked) is you absolutely cannot give in even one time on something you don’t want to become a habit. For example, I let my toddler out of the cart once at the grocery store and now he absolutely refuses to sit in a cart and shopping is a huge pain in the rear end!

Look at this poster who hasn’t launched massive retaliation by storming out of the grocery store when the terrorists start making the usual demands. Weak!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

King Hong Kong posted:

Look at this poster who hasn’t launched massive retaliation by storming out of the grocery store when the terrorists start making the usual demands. Weak!

Sometimes the terrorists win :(

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Went through a rough phase where grocery shopping had 3 outcomes:

“I want out! I want to push!!!” Toddler attempting to push a cart that he can only barely brush his fingertips against the handlebar. We navigate the store at .0001 mph

“I want to watch a show on your phone.” Toddler watches a show on my phone while I shop peacefully, hoping that the internet doesn’t drop (it does), that my wife doesn’t text me more poo poo to buy that I miss (she does), or that I don’t need to look up a recipe (I do).

Hysterical crying for 20 straight minutes while the other shoppers get increasingly concerned and I project an aura of calm and confidence, then emerge with my chicken breasts, goldfish crackers, milk and eggs having aged 15 years.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
My 3 year old was just invited to a birthday party for one of his classmates turning 3. It's at a trampoline park and is from 6-8pm. I know everybody has different schedules and routines but what in the loving hell

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Rufio posted:

My 3 year old was just invited to a birthday party for one of his classmates turning 3. It's at a trampoline park and is from 6-8pm. I know everybody has different schedules and routines but what in the loving hell

:catstare:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Rufio posted:

That… would be a no thanks from me and my family. Bed times are non-negotiable, or at least they were at that age.

And really, a trampoline park? Does a three year old even know how to jump on one?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

space uncle posted:

Went through a rough phase where grocery shopping had 3 outcomes:

“I want out! I want to push!!!” Toddler attempting to push a cart that he can only barely brush his fingertips against the handlebar. We navigate the store at .0001 mph

“I want to watch a show on your phone.” Toddler watches a show on my phone while I shop peacefully, hoping that the internet doesn’t drop (it does), that my wife doesn’t text me more poo poo to buy that I miss (she does), or that I don’t need to look up a recipe (I do).

Hysterical crying for 20 straight minutes while the other shoppers get increasingly concerned and I project an aura of calm and confidence, then emerge with my chicken breasts, goldfish crackers, milk and eggs having aged 15 years.

I strongly recommend you get your shopping delivered to your house if that is at all an option

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

I strongly recommend you get your shopping delivered to your house if that is at all an option

I powered through it and now he’s fine, he just sits in his little seat and talks to me. I let him pick some stuff out. Sometimes he gets a sticker from the checkout lady.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

We started to do in store pickup for COVID and never stopped because the convenience can't be beat.

A+ would recommend, well worth the premium.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

remigious posted:

Sometimes the terrorists win :(

Terrorists to some, Freedom Fighters to others.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

And really, a trampoline park? Does a three year old even know how to jump on one?

Hell yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I was frankly terrified of my three-year-old's capabilities when he went to a trampoline park. He basically unlocked a third axis of movement.