Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Unless they drastically changed things, chocobo tank stance is absolutely worthless and can't hold threat over a few shots from a healer.

It did just fine for me leveling healer and DPS. I did a lot of it via fates. They've got a pretty short cooldown provoke that they'll use frequently.

Also, it may not be perfect, but it's going to keep you from getting chomped by grabbing aggro back pretty often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I just finished the main ShB story. :tviv:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pinwiz11 posted:

hell yeah

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pinwiz11 posted:

Do you mean the expansion or the post expac stuff?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Mr. Nice! posted:

Do you mean the expansion or the post expac stuff?

Expansion only. Going to start on the post-expac stuff shortly. :getin:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pinwiz11 posted:

I really liked the post-ShB patch story. It's the best mid-expac patch story, imo. Enjoy!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pinwiz11 posted:

That pre-boss cutscene still makes my soul sing when I remember it. Hit every note for me.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I still can't believe he just pulls out a drat gun on the crystal exarch right at the big moment. loving Emet Selch man.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I love that so much. Dude is a frontrunner for most powerful wizard on the 14 versions of the planet, and he uses a revolver for the drama.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
BeneG has a really good skit about that scene.

(ShB spoilers, obviously, but it should be just up to what you've already seen as long as you don't read the comments.)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

(ShB spoilers, obviously, but it should be just up to what you've already seen as long as you don't read the comments.)

This one makes me bust out laughing every time.

(89 trial post-cutscene spoilers)

(raha is my good boy)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I was a bit annoyed that starting as a Dark Knight in Heavensward meant I had to make up 20 levels before I could use that class in the MSQ.

Is that the same with all the expansions or do they fix it?

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Necrothatcher posted:

I was a bit annoyed that starting as a Dark Knight in Heavensward meant I had to make up 20 levels before I could use that class in the MSQ.

Is that the same with all the expansions or do they fix it?
Everything else starts at the level you get it. Samurai starts at 50, Gunbreaker starts at 60 etc etc.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
The HW job additions are an abnormality in that they start at 30, all the other expansion jobs start at 20 levels below the max level for the expansion they were released in. So Sage/Reaper start at 70, etc.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
The main thing is they’re available in the ARR cities the moment you have another job at the appropriate level. So, once a job hits 50 you can pick up RDM, at 60 you can pick up GNB, etc.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The devs are snookered between the two HW classes being stuck behind the city gates of Ishgard and the Seventh Astral Era being a whole entire games worth of campaign in of itself.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

girl dick energy posted:

That was fantastic!

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Pinwiz11 posted:

:sickos:

Definitely keep us posted when you finish 5.3!

Speaking of the MSQ, I'm nearing the end of EW. Decided to get a quick quest or two in yesterday night before bed and got totally sidelined by (88 spoilers) Urianger and Moenbryda's parents. Oh my gently caress I was not ready for that what the gently caress game :qq:

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah that spoiler happening was like being attacked. Just stabbed me right in the heart

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Meanwhile I'm on early stages of Stormblood and it looks like it's going to be my favourite part storywise. Heavensward was great but had kinda slow start and ARR was... we all know how ARR is.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah Stormblood has plenty of good stuff in it

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Just finished 5.3:

The story was great, but it was the epilogue quests that really got to me. Taking the time to say goodbye was wonderful, even though I technically can go back at any time.

tl;dr: :neckbeard:

We'll see how far I get before the Holidays... I'd love to get right up to the start of Endwalker before I leave town but I don't know if there's going to be enough time. Either way I expect I'll get there by the new year.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I returned to the game at the very end of July and I was still in 2.4 or 2.5.

Over four months later and I just finished the post-patch Shadowbringers story and am one right-click away from starting Endwalker. :woop:

What I'm looking forward to most... is the story, obs. But, I'm also excited to be at a place where I don't have to push myself because there's so much plot ahead of me. I can see the finish line, and while I doubt that I'll slow down much I know I'll have a few months where I can level other jobs, get my crafting from 70 to 90, really build out my glams, etc., and be able to experience the new Expac in real-time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I don't remember who first recommended Alkahests and Tinctures as moneymakers, but whoever you were, you were absolutely correct.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Endwalker update - I just hit level 86 and EW has no chill and I love it. This expac isn't pulling punches, and considering what's happened so far... :munch:

Although, I laugh at sequences where they don't warn you that "HEY, THIS SERIES OF CUT SCENES IS GOING TO TAKE A WHILE"... I think their definition of "long" is different from mine. Not that I dislike the story, but something of a heads up for the smaller sequences would have been nice. :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The worst is the one that plays right after beating the 87 dungeon, because not only is it something like 15 minutes long, but there are significantly long stretches where it can’t be paused.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

I literally can't do more than an hour or two of MSQ at a time before taking a break to go ocean fishing or whatever, it's a very heavy, well written expansion. I respect it, i just can't binge it.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Regalingualius posted:

The worst is the one that plays right after beating the 87 dungeon, because not only is it something like 15 minutes long, but there are significantly long stretches where it can’t be paused.

At this point I assume that I'll need to add 20 minutes to the end of any new dungeons I run.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's a good idea. There's a lot of ending dungeon cutscenes.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Regalingualius posted:

I was having some terrible connection issues during this cutscene and ended up disconnecting like 5 or 6 times. Eventually said gently caress it and watched the whole thing on youtube which was a bummer. The expansion is amazing and heavy as gently caress but yeah, would appreciate if they gave you at least a tiny warning or break during some of them

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Regalingualius posted:

Following up on this, I just finished that segment and was glad for the warning. :tviv::tviv::tviv:

One nice thing about going through all of the MSQs in a few months is that I haven't really updated my main glam since StB so the flashback to the end of ShB was extra strong because it was the same look.

Now for a day or two off and then back to the story!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Final? followup: I finished 6.0 late Saturday night, and it was amazing. I realized pretty quickly what the story beats were going to be on the final map, but that didn't make them any less painful. What I didn't expect was E-S and H showing up at the end and the summoning of the field of flowers, I. LOST. IT. at that point.

A+, would recommend to others.

Next I'm likely going to focus on the patch MSQ so I can get completely get caught up, and then it's time to be a bit more free form. Maybe work on some of the raids, get my crafting to 90, etc.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

So I just finished Stormblood and figured I'd take on the raid quests as I'm going through the patch quests except, woops, my ilvl isn't high enough to start the raids. I don't have enough poetics to buy the augmented gear, should I just buy the highest lvl gil set available to me or do I have other options?

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Simsmagic posted:

So I just finished Stormblood and figured I'd take on the raid quests as I'm going through the patch quests except, woops, my ilvl isn't high enough to start the raids. I don't have enough poetics to buy the augmented gear, should I just buy the highest lvl gil set available to me or do I have other options?

I wouldn't waste the gil, a few roulettes should get you enough poetics for a few pieces of scaeven gear and thats ilvl 400 so should get your average up super fast

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Marketboard is quick and easy if you have the coin. I'm assuming you're already over level 60 so that'd probably end up being Shadowbringers levelling gear at least, which isn't bad if it's not a huge gil sink.

You could unlock the optional SB dungeons and run as many of them as your ilvl permits. Maybe get some gear drops but also get a good injection of poetics.

You could probably find a goon that can quickly craft some gear as well. If you're in NA I could whip you up a set that'll at least get you going, but you can find crafter goons pretty much anywhere.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Simsmagic posted:

Poetics are extremely easy to come by, just save up some and buy the gear you need. Save the gil.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Thanks everyone. I'll try to scrape together enough poetics to get started. Is there an easy way to get enough to buy the whole set? Is that even worth doing? I went through StB with the augmented HW set and it was enough to last me through the end of the expansion so I figure I can just do that again. But getting enough tomestones to buy everything could take a while and I'm curious if it's even worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

if you run through the roulettes available to you, you should scoop enough poetics to plug the lowest ilvl holes on your gear and then some.

Poetics gear from an expansion will generally be "current" until about halfway through the level curve of the next expac, and if you keep earning tomes on the side you can buy into the next set almost immediately after you finish the final boss. You should make some effort to pick up some dungeon gear from the level x5+ dungeons though - while a poetics set can last you to the next expansion's level cap, your damage taken and dealt definitely take a hit once dungeon upgrades start to eclipse them. This is especially true for tanks - healing a tank in a level 77 or 79 dungeon who's still only wearing Stormblood poetics gear is torture.

Thankfully, even if dungeons are being stingy with drops the MSQ does give coffers with crafted gear you can use to plug up other holes. Technically patch quests give coffers with gear upgrades too but those are going to be immediately outdated by poetics gear.