Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

They 100% should have a tutorial section in the meatgrinder that is just a poxburster running into you with the instructions to shove it away without taking damage 3 times and a final test that is just shoving it into a poxburster chain that explodes like domino's into a horde of poxbursters and dogs.

Especially since you can't even fight poxbursters in the grinder without a mod.

Having little tutorial bits like that would be great.

1. Pushing Poxbursters
2. Dodging trappers
3. Block/Pushing Dogs
4. Dodging snipers by the sound cue
5. Dodging the Chaos Spawn grab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I'm a bit confused and feel like I missed something but what's with all the ogryn with the glowing goggles I'm now seeing running around everywhere?

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 3, 2023

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Back Hack posted:

I'm a bit confused and feel like I missed something but what's with all the ogryn with the glowing goggles I'm now seeing running around everywhere?

There were cosmetic sets given out to every PC player that played before a certain date and the glowing ogryn goggles is one of them.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Legit Businessman posted:

This is actually quite interesting.

Because this is a horde co-op shooter, it borrows and relies on a lot of the established tropes that the genre has established (read: left 4 dead).

I know you're supposed to avoid the demonhost, and don't shine flashlights on them because that's what you do (or don't do) with the witch.

You push bursters, because you know you're supposed to push boomers.

At the end of the day though, yeah the tutorial sucks. I wonder if the dev team is just relying too much on common knowledge and intuition for some of this stuff, because they are no doubt big fans.

Hey, there is a burster in the tutorial and you don’t see anyone shooting it there, do you?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

There is something darkly comedic when I stand near the rear of the group, stamina full, already blocking, waiting for the poxburster to approach and then the vet headshots it from 50 yards and it blows me off the level.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Anybody who greatly desires to touch the infected is suspect and therefore we have been given the order to explode all poxbursters on top of them at will.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Look, when you’re playing Damnation or above and you’ve got the burster conga line coming in while the dogs are howling and the mutants are charging and the trappers are giggling madly and the bombers are being gits, you often simply do not have the time to deal with everything cleanly. You get a plasma bolt, and you get a plasma bolt, and you get a plasma bolt.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I instinctively cap all poxbursters because I assume the pubs will fail to deal with them correctly.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

TaurusTorus posted:

I instinctively cap all poxbursters because I assume the pubs will fail to deal with them correctly.

Yeah I gun them down. If I am forced to push I wince because someone is definitely about to whip out a magnum and blast me across the level.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Legit Businessman posted:

At the end of the day though, yeah the tutorial sucks. I wonder if the dev team is just relying too much on common knowledge and intuition for some of this stuff, because they are no doubt big fans.
I haven't checked in a while to see if they bothered to change it but it used to straight up mislead you about how toughness works: It would say that you take toughness damage before health damage, then sticks a ranged enemy in front of you and has it shoot your toughness off. Now that is how toughness against ranged works... but crucially the tutorial does not specify ranged, and does not tell you how toughness versus melee damage works, so without any prior knowledge it's easy to assume your toughness would absorb melee hits as well in the same way.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
I remember when having over a flat value of 100 toughness meant you take increased damage instead of reduced. Very funny bug for the Vets.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Mendrian posted:

There is something darkly comedic when I stand near the rear of the group, stamina full, already blocking, waiting for the poxburster to approach and then the vet headshots it from 50 yards and it blows me off the level.

extra funny when the vet blows like 5 bolter rounds to do it because they don't aim so good

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Martout posted:

extra funny when the vet blows like 5 bolter rounds to do it because they don't aim so good

So went on Malice to test out a good stat (512) hellbore mk2 and insanely good devilclaw (524) that dropped and just had a game where my vet pushed two Poxies to protect the group. A million bolts of bolt and plas buzz by so I was successful despite my teammates best effort. Also in another game had an Xbox Ogryn that refused to pick up anyone. Picked him up three times and still … nothing. I dropped and almost had a group wipe until someone quit and an npc picked me up. Made me feel good at least. Malice kinda blows.

Oh yeah Devilclaw is amazing. Hellbore? Not so much. I’d rather do recon if someone else takes plas. Recon 6 is still my fave las. If someone is on plas duty it’s workable with soft targets at least. + carapace is a waste but + flak seems to be a good choice. Dumdum and that perk that makes you not be targeted with range on a kill. Still have yet to try on damnation but on heresy and malice it’s cool.

Positive news: had a game where my vet teamed with three Ogryns all going Ogryn speak over a mic. I was giggling like a lunatic the whole time. It might been the weed but I had a blast.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 5, 2023

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

One of my favorite parts of ogryn gameplay is getting to pick up teammates, a quick charge across the way, maybe drop a nuke if it's real bad. Keeping the team of little ones up and fighting :shobon:

edit: so all that to say I don't get the xbox ogryn NOT picking people up at all

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Ogryn shield never really clicked for me, but I've finally found blessings/perks and a build that works for me. It's a lot of fun! Now if I can only find a "sidearm-like" setup to use with my Bull Butcher build that doesn't suck to use. I'm trying to like the Kickback, but I'm struggling. The Revolver on my Zealot has really spoiled me.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Insert name here posted:

I haven't checked in a while to see if they bothered to change it but it used to straight up mislead you about how toughness works: It would say that you take toughness damage before health damage, then sticks a ranged enemy in front of you and has it shoot your toughness off. Now that is how toughness against ranged works... but crucially the tutorial does not specify ranged, and does not tell you how toughness versus melee damage works, so without any prior knowledge it's easy to assume your toughness would absorb melee hits as well in the same way.

What do you mean? I haven't noticed any difference in how toughness works with melee vs ranged attacks.

Internet Explorer posted:

The Ogryn shield never really clicked for me, but I've finally found blessings/perks and a build that works for me. It's a lot of fun! Now if I can only find a "sidearm-like" setup to use with my Bull Butcher build that doesn't suck to use. I'm trying to like the Kickback, but I'm struggling. The Revolver on my Zealot has really spoiled me.

IMO the real magic in the shield comes from its heavy attack. Extremely wide cleaving swing in front of you, basically hits everything 180 degrees, high stagger, and does plenty of damage. Load up on all the heavy attack related talents and just chain heavies all day, you won't be disappointed.

Regarding the bull butcher, I find the heavy stubber guns to be a good complement. They're strong against pretty much everything that the cleaver isn't, and don't really need a lot of love from the talent tree to be effective (though I guess you could say that about most of the Ogryn ranged weapons, now that I think about it).

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Devils Affricate posted:

What do you mean? I haven't noticed any difference in how toughness works with melee vs ranged attacks.

Melee damage to toughness is both straightforward but sounds confusing when you first hear it:

If you have full (100% or more) toughness when you take a melee hit, you take 0% damage from that attack. If you have 75% of your toughness, you'll take 25% of the damage from the same melee attack. It scales down from there linearly, the less % of your toughness bar you have the more damage bleed-through a melee attack will deal to you until you have 0 toughness and take 100% of the damage the melee attack would do. That's why three pox walkers or bruisers hitting you simultaneously deals a shitload of damage.

There are two exceptions, Crushers and Maulers both ignore this mechanic and deal bleed-through damage regardless of how much toughness you have.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

On the topic of crushers I've been slowly working to acquire +3 stam curios on my Psyker just to test blocking in the training range. Has anyone done the math or testing to know how much you need to block a crusher overhead on damnation?

There's of course a lot of interactions here with stuff like do you have block reduction, what about deflector iv reduction, peril blocking if you take that talent.

Edit: oh and I agree with Devils Affricate that I like the stubber (gorgonum) with my bull butcher most of the time. Against maelstrom (weaker) monstrosities I prefer to take the kickback.

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Dec 5, 2023

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Evil Kit posted:

Melee damage to toughness is both straightforward but sounds confusing when you first hear it:

If you have full (100% or more) toughness when you take a melee hit, you take 0% damage from that attack. If you have 75% of your toughness, you'll take 25% of the damage from the same melee attack. It scales down from there linearly, the less % of your toughness bar you have the more damage bleed-through a melee attack will deal to you until you have 0 toughness and take 100% of the damage the melee attack would do. That's why three pox walkers or bruisers hitting you simultaneously deals a shitload of damage.

There are two exceptions, Crushers and Maulers both ignore this mechanic and deal bleed-through damage regardless of how much toughness you have.

Oh interesting, I guess my toughness tends to fluctuate so much when I'm in the thick of things that I've never been able to pay close attention to what exactly is going on with it.

RE things that should have been explained in the tutorial: weapon attributes! You can hover over them to see what they actually do, and what they actually do is important. Finesse probably doesn't do what you think it does (assuming something called "finesse" in a video game makes you think of something in particular in the first place).

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I really like a Ripper with Can Opener on the Ogryn. I feel like it allows me to kill everything that my cleaver struggles with. Also, if you ever see a really good MkIV cleaver, take some time to mess around with it. I thought I was going to be a Bull Butcher user forever, but this thing is even better once you get used to the attack patterns.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm too lazy for attack patterns. How do you use Can Opener? Just special attack (thrust, yeah?) and then mag dump? I guess my concern there is that in 'tide games I can never trust anyone to take are of specials outside of arm's reach.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Every time I play my zealot with a vet and there's a sniper I stupidly go "all good we have a vet" before ending up huddled and crying in cover while our downed ogryn is being hit by rifle round after rifle round from a sniper he keeps highlighting.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

JBP posted:

Every time I play my zealot with a vet and there's a sniper I stupidly go "all good we have a vet" before ending up huddled and crying in cover while our downed ogryn is being hit by rifle round after rifle round from a sniper he keeps highlighting.

I can't tell you how many snipers and bombers I snipe with my Zealot faster than the Vet(s) in my pubbie groups. You really can't leave things to chance.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

skaianDestiny posted:

I can't tell you how many snipers and bombers I snipe with my Zealot faster than the Vet(s) in my pubbie groups. You really can't leave things to chance.

I'm weaving a tale for dramatic effect. But sometimes I take a flamer and I just have to run the bullet gauntlets to hit them with my mallet lol.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

skaianDestiny posted:

The two most reliable weapons for taking out snipers for me are the revolver and my Ogryn's rock

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

The Bull Butcher is the preferred weapon for gunluggers due to its simplicity of use - fast lights with good horde clear right out of the box means that you can dedicate a ranged weapon for hard target killing. With that in mind, you probably want to use something like the rumbler for that purpose. In the alternative, a good heavy stubber also fits right in, as you don't need to spend a ton of talent points to make the butcher good and spend a bunch of talent points to make your ranged weapon very good.

EDIT:

cerebral posted:

I really like a Ripper with Can Opener on the Ogryn. I feel like it allows me to kill everything that my cleaver struggles with. Also, if you ever see a really good MkIV cleaver, take some time to mess around with it. I thought I was going to be a Bull Butcher user forever, but this thing is even better once you get used to the attack patterns.

Here's a really dumb hidden mechanic for the Ripper - The melee stab is faster if you do not have a drum mag attached to the weapon when you stab. So if you are caught out in the middle of a reload (and only during the middle of a reload), you gun stabs faster.

Why? Verisimilitude? Who knows.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Dec 5, 2023

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I'm too lazy for attack patterns. How do you use Can Opener? Just special attack (thrust, yeah?) and then mag dump? I guess my concern there is that in 'tide games I can never trust anyone to take are of specials outside of arm's reach.

Yeah, stab them with special attack and then mag dump into them.

I'm in the same boat as you, I need to have the ability to kill everything, and the Rippers fit that bill. Are they going to take out a sniper across the map in a single burst? No, but a single burst will knock him on his rear end long enough for your reticle to settle back down enough to take him out on the second burst (maybe third), same with gunners at mid range.

I'm running a Cleaver, Ripper, and 500+ HP, and I feel all but invincible.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alright, that sounds pretty nice. I'll have to try Ripper and then maybe it looks like the Achlys? Seems like it's easy enough to use these days, not as long of a delay to ready.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Alright, that sounds pretty nice. I'll have to try Ripper and then maybe it looks like the Achlys? Seems like it's easy enough to use these days, not as long of a delay to ready.

The achlys is a ton of fun nowadays, it's accurate enough to midrange now so I say it's a worthwhile side grade to the gorgonum.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

JBP posted:

To be honest while I generally agree it's the Vet's job to kill snipers there are definitely times where, if they're playing the wrong build, they will be melee'd to death before they can pull their gun out and kill the sniper who is hiding behind an unending pile of meat. My zealot, who is hardier and generally closer to the sniper, just whips out a revolver and laughs.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
If you fire mid stab with a ripper you'll unload into their stab hole it rules. Also the mk5 has a really high minimum damage on its primary fire if you're worried about snipers - it shoots 7 pellets, and if one hits it'll do at least 5* pellets worth of damage.

*2 if carapace, but who cares

Hats Wouldnt Fly fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 5, 2023

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
mentally imo it's less that people have roles or jobs in a party and that they need to fulfill said roles in order to win and more that there's a minimum "level" of countering specific threats that the party needs to be able to meet. dont always count on a vet to shoot ranged specials, but trust in a zealot packing a revolver to make up for it somewhat and take a weapon yourself that can help in that aspect if not completely fill the niche

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
The lesson here is TRUST ONLY YOUR FISTS (and rock)

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Honestly, I've probably killed more snipers with this thing than anything else

Tildryn
Mar 18, 2009

tangy yet delightful posted:

On the topic of crushers I've been slowly working to acquire +3 stam curios on my Psyker just to test blocking in the training range. Has anyone done the math or testing to know how much you need to block a crusher overhead on damnation?

There's of course a lot of interactions here with stuff like do you have block reduction, what about deflector iv reduction, peril blocking if you take that talent.

Edit: oh and I agree with Devils Affricate that I like the stubber (gorgonum) with my bull butcher most of the time. Against maelstrom (weaker) monstrosities I prefer to take the kickback.

Aren't those attacks specifically tagged as unlockable? You can still parry them with Catachan swords, however.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

It's all about the MK3 Bully Club and being able to stagger anything and everything into submission.

Unrelated, lol at this clip which is my bet for what the director gets stuck on when Fatshark goes on vacation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z01AhVSorUo

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Tildryn posted:

Aren't those attacks specifically tagged as unlockable? You can still parry them with Catachan swords, however.

I assume you mean unblockable, which I don't know but I just googled and according to this steam link that's true:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1361210/discussions/0/5943121463503857716/
code:
The following attacks are unblockable:
Crusher Overhead
Scab Mauler Overhead
Bulwark Shield Slam
Plague Ogryn Stomp and Slam
Beast of Nurgle Melee Attacks
1H Scab Captain Kick and Slash
2H Scab Captain Overhead and Slam
Also this fatshark forum's thread - https://forums.fatsharkgames.com/t/preliminary-block-efficacy-data-on-darktide-melee-weapons-against-non-monstrosities/82749/2

So that randomly had dream dies.

edit: I need to practice with the devil claw sword parry on my vet as a little side note.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Getting an update

https://forums.fatsharkgames.com/t/the-traitor-curse-part-2-anniversary-update/88606

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

It's 11pm in my time zone, and I need to be at work by 8am, so naturally I'm downloading a 9 gig patch so I can play the new map instead of doing something smart like getting ready for bed.

Gotta get that first damnation mission where everyone stumbles around with no idea what we're doing or where the best survival spots are for the inevitable final wave, before everyone figures out the best strategies.

Looks like some decent tweaks, including dialing back the aggressiveness of the AI director in the lower difficulty maps. I guess we won't get that nonstop mauler/rager holiday break after all.

quote:

Stimms are spawned in a mission at random, similar to how ammo and medical crates are spawned. Players can pick them up and they occupy a new dedicated consumable slot for small items. To select this new slot press [4] on keyboard or [D-pad up] on the controller by default. On some controller layouts you swap between the small item slot (stimms) and the large slot (medical crates, ammo crates, scriptures and grimoires) by pressing the same button multiple times. As a consequence of this new binding, wielding the Auspex has been moved to [5] on keyboards. Check your preferred controller or keyboard layout in-game to see exact binding.

I am 100% rebinding manually to keep the auspex at key 4 because I guarantee I would end up stimming myself instead of scanning.

Edit: and what's this then

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainAssholay
May 23, 2001

Don't Think
Alright well I can one shot a crusher with the new ogryn shovel so, GG.