Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Why in all that is holy and scared would you want your vacuum WiFi enabled?!.!.

Robot vacuums own mine run’s daily and let me know if it gets stuck on a dog toy or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

priznat posted:

Getting winter tires put on my v60 phev next week, always a bit of a gamble here because we will either get no snow or more snow than anywhere.

Ended up going with the oem wheels because it was a real hassle finding other ones that will fit and also the oems look really cool.

This car rocks and god drat it is fast when you want it to be.

Hey
I'm waiting on more pics and poo poo of your car

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Three Olives posted:

After talking to a first responder and having it confirmed several times, the fact that these are not mandatory equipment in cars is actually shocking.

Yeah I have one of these.

I guess I was more specifically wondering if there were any neat car gadgets that took advantage of having a giant electric battery right to hand, like maybe a really really good portable electric food cooler or something.

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

For those of you with Bolts... Is there really not any app connectivity if you don't pay monthly for the MyChevy/OnStar thing?

Like, I can't even see the state of charge remotely?

I can see state of charge, remote start/lock etc and I don't pay for anything, but I recall this might have changed in 2022 or 2023 if you have a newer Bolt than I do:

Edit: looks like the car came with a plan called "connected access":

Walrusmaster fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 4, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

slidebite posted:

Hey
I'm waiting on more pics and poo poo of your car

drat I been slacking. I would like to run it out to Spanish banks for a pic sometime in the same spot as my dear departed (sold) 325iT

We about to get hit by an atmospheric river though with a king tide so that area of Vancouver might be submerged soon, RIP.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

kill me now posted:

Your vacuum is connected to your home wifi connection. There is no cost for your vacuum to connect to the app. Your car is connected via a 4g lte connection that has a monthly cost to keep active.

Not that the car mfg isn't keeping the 4g connection on regardless, but if you are using it to remote access something on the car, they are going to charge for the privilege.

Does the Bolt not have wifi? It would have cost tens of cents to implement

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Does the Bolt not have wifi? It would have cost tens of cents to implement

My '21 Bolt has WiFi. I think the reference to the 4g connection is because cars are frequently in places without Wi-Fi.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

But presumably the manufacturer could access the state of charge over wifi when it's available, right? The 4g doesn't really factor into it, state of charge is paywalled for the sake of being paywalled

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

But presumably the manufacturer could access the state of charge over wifi when it's available, right? The 4g doesn't really factor into it, state of charge is paywalled for the sake of being paywalled

I agree with you 100%, all the car companies have talked about increasing revenue from subscription services in their shareholder meetings and this is an easy way to do it.

I imagine the car companies' justification would range from "we need to be able to provide 100% uptime for this vital service, no matter where the car is" to "lol, pay up, who else can you go to for this? We own the servers!"

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Also "why does this only work at home? Its completely worthless!"

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Walrusmaster posted:

I can see state of charge, remote start/lock etc and I don't pay for anything, but I recall this might have changed in 2022 or 2023 if you have a newer Bolt than I do:

Edit: looks like the car came with a plan called "connected access":

I can see state of charge but cannot remote start or lock via app. 2022 EUV

My plan states:

quote:

EV Access & Connected Access is included with your vehicle purchase and active through October 22, 2032.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's like if Samsung charged a monthly fee to unlock your phone screen, "well data plans cost money" doesn't make any sense as an argument there

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

QuarkJets posted:

It's like if Samsung charged a monthly fee to unlock your phone screen, "well data plans cost money" doesn't make any sense as an argument there

No, its like if an app on your phone charged you a monthly fee to use. Which plenty of apps do.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

kill me now posted:

No, its like if an app on your phone charged you a monthly fee to use. Which plenty of apps do.

Not really since you payed a lump sum for a physical object and not just code.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

kill me now posted:

It’s more like it Apple charged you a monthly fee to use your camera. The functionality and hardware are already there and functional, but locked behind a monthly fee purely for revenue boosting.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

bobfather posted:

Once OnStar expires I'm going to take apart a key fob and see if I can use a z-wave dry-contact relay to trigger the remote start sequence. I think it's just lock then hold start for 5 seconds or something.

Also going to follow this tutorial to disable OnStar.

Quoting this to be able to find it later.

Yeah I use my Bolt's app to check the charge and occasionally make sure I locked the car. That's really it.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I guess the Model 3 is about to lose half its tax credit: https://www.theverge.com/2023/12/4/23988031/tesla-elon-musk-ev-tax-credit-model-3

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

FlapYoJacks posted:

It’s more like it Apple charged you a monthly fee to use your camera. The functionality and hardware are already there and functional, but locked behind a monthly fee purely for revenue boosting.

No, its really not

The car is the physical product which you don't lose access to, it still functions as a car without the app. The App is something you got to demo with a free trial and was never an intrinsic part of the thing you bought. Its not a physical feature of your car, its an app. It would be like complaining that your Sirius xm trial ended and they required you to pay for the service.

You didn't buy app functionality when you bought the car.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

kill me now posted:

You didn't buy app functionality when you bought the car.

I mean, yeah you did. Though you bought a license to it for x years, not a lifetime one. There's nothing special about this.

Honestly if I could turn off my car's ability to connect to the internet I would. I don't want or need an app for my car.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Volvo is kinda funny because the connectivity is included for 4 years it they don’t have a plan yet for adding more time after that, so I hope it is reasonable as I plan on keeping the car til 2030.

It’s nice being able to precondition the car. Although I am pretty hype that it has the ability to put the windows down when you push the unlock button the remote (my 2003 bmw had that ffs). It’s super handy on a hot day.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

kill me now posted:

Only if someone tries to defend the fee by saying "well the app has a subscription fee because it needs a data plan to operate"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m gonna need another analogy to help me understand the concept of being made to pay for services. Maybe try sports?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

I mean, the list of cars that would continue to get the full amount is pitifully small isn't it?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

priznat posted:

Volvo is kinda funny because the connectivity is included for 4 years it they don’t have a plan yet for adding more time after that, so I hope it is reasonable as I plan on keeping the car til 2030.

What are the chances of the modem in the car being compatible with the mobile networks running in 2030?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

dissss posted:

What are the chances of the modem in the car being compatible with the mobile networks running in 2030?

I don’t think LTE 4G will be gone by then, 3G is still around here.. But worst case it will be Bluetooth phone tethering I suppose.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

priznat posted:

I don’t think LTE 4G will be gone by then, 3G is still around here.. But worst case it will be Bluetooth phone tethering I suppose.

Does tesla even allow bluetooth tethering? I tought they're all in on using their own data connection.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Freezer posted:

Does tesla even allow bluetooth tethering? I tought they're all in on using their own data connection.

Tesla seems to have a somewhat reasonable fee to upgrade the modem in your vehicle. $200 includes installation, and is necessary for vehicles sold prior to June 2015.

https://www.tesla.com/support/3g-cellular-network-retirement

It's preferable to Ford charging $600 for a necessary modem upgrade in a 2020 vehicle.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ford/comments/sj0r0y/590_cost_to_me_to_replace_obsolete_3g_modem_in_my/

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Freezer posted:

You can tether a Tesla to a cellular hotspot - that’s what I do instead of paying for Premium Connectivity since I don’t use the data features that often.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

priznat posted:

LTE will stick around into the 2040s probably. 5G is much more expensive to license and most of the embedded applications don't need the bandwidth.

Civil posted:

Tesla seems to have a somewhat reasonable fee to upgrade the modem in your vehicle. $200 includes installation, and is necessary for vehicles sold prior to June 2015.

https://www.tesla.com/support/3g-cellular-network-retirement

It's preferable to Ford charging $600 for a necessary modem upgrade in a 2020 vehicle.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ford/comments/sj0r0y/590_cost_to_me_to_replace_obsolete_3g_modem_in_my/

At least they gave you the option, while there was really no technical reason they couldn't upgrade the modem, BMW just hosed over all their cars with 3G modems with no option to upgrade, which sucked because BMW did more than basic car integration with their modems.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 5, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Subscription fees are pretty tiny in the context of a car purchase. Just multiply it by the car’s expected lifetime and add it to the purchase cost. It doesn’t feel good to have to pay extra, sure, but I don’t think it amounts to much.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

What’s the newest EV that isn’t connected to the internet? Ioniq/Soul EV? i3?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Vegetable posted:

Subscription fees are pretty tiny in the context of a car purchase. Just multiply it by the car’s expected lifetime and add it to the purchase cost. It doesn’t feel good to have to pay extra, sure, but I don’t think it amounts to much.

Or buy a Tesla, which has free basic connectivity including app usage*

*for now, until Elon wakes up from a ketamine binge and demands another feature cut.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The funny thing with my Polestar 2's wifi is I've never been able to get it to see a wireless network across multiple routers and hotspots and apparently this is a common experience. It doesn't really do anything with the wifi connection, anyway.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Vegetable posted:

The fact that subscription fees are even int he discussion of car purchase to me deeply offputting. If there's an app for the car, it needs to be free and nothing in the car should be locked behind a paywall.

An example here what I would expect is my e-Bike. To access it's setup needs a seperate app but it's free and using it gives you a bunch of highly useful features. Also they have an api that has allowed a paid app from a third party that really extends the control features with Garmin-like mapping and other features / screens that actually means all you need is a cheap Android device and you can save a few hundred on a bike computer

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

What’s the newest EV that isn’t connected to the internet? Ioniq/Soul EV? i3?

Some i3s, most have 3G modems that have been sunset, 2018 got an upgraded iDrive system with LTE and Carplay.

Honestly I really loved my i3 and had the pricing not be insane at the time I would have bought a used 2021.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The fact that subscription fees are even int he discussion of car purchase to me deeply offputting. If there's an app for the car, it needs to be free and nothing in the car should be locked behind a paywall.

An example here what I would expect is my e-Bike. To access it's setup needs a seperate app but it's free and using it gives you a bunch of highly useful features. Also they have an api that has allowed a paid app from a third party that really extends the control features with Garmin-like mapping and other features / screens that actually means all you need is a cheap Android device and you can save a few hundred on a bike computer

But it is not just an app for the car, it's a data subscription that the car maker has to actively pay a provider for.

I think of it like the cable TV model, if you have a connected car, it's using the data connection for a lot of stuff that you may or may not use, if you want battery monitoring you have to buy a bunch of other poo poo too that makes the overall cost palatable to more consumers depending on what features they may or not use.

At the end of the day, you car company has to write a check to some cellular company as an ongoing cost, why shouldn't that cost be passed on to you?

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 5, 2023

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Speaking of car subscriptions, I got a letter today from Sirius XM wanting me to pay for more Sirius XM because the trial period in the id4 expired. Why the gently caress would I want Sirius XM when I have whatever I want to listen to via Android Auto?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Civil posted:

Just wait for those solid state batteries Toyota is releasing in 2025 2026 2027 2028 2029

It looks like they'll be releasing a solid-state battery in 2024... in a detachable Bluetooth speaker on the Tacoma.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a45964519/2024-toyota-tacoma-solid-state-battery/

Though I suppose this would make sense as a way to gather data on the real-world performance of their solid-state battery, as well as sort out the issues with mass production on a limited scale before trying to produce enough of them to compete with Tesla.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I like Sirius XM a lot as a backup and if you call them you can get the subscription for way, way cheaper by just asking

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm really not sure how Sirius XM is still a thing, their customer base is the intersection of people who are A) not happy with free car radio, B) too old to know how to use their phone for media, and C) able to afford a monthly subscription for car radio. How is this a successful business model? I don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Speaking of car subscriptions, I got a letter today from Sirius XM wanting me to pay for more Sirius XM because the trial period in the id4 expired. Why the gently caress would I want Sirius XM when I have whatever I want to listen to via Android Auto?

I have it, they aren't idiots, you can get a subscription for $4.99 if you just tell them gently caress you, I will sign up for your service but not for $20 a month because I already have Spotify.

It's nice, it's probably 80% of my listening in the car.

QuarkJets posted:

I'm really not sure how Sirius XM is still a thing, their customer base is the intersection of people who are A) not happy with free car radio, B) too old to know how to use their phone for media, and C) able to afford a monthly subscription for car radio. How is this a successful business model? I don't get it.

It's not what you think it is, I have to give them some credit, they really have evolved. SIriusXM is now some, it's hard to describe, curated playlist thing with a hybrid streaming/broadcasting component? There are tons more stations, many of which are highly specific, some come from satellite, some come from streaming, some a combo of the two. If you switch a station, it automatically picks up from the start of a song, you can replay, skip back multiple songs, there are some OnDemand programs.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 5, 2023