Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Godzilla vs Biollante is cool, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CelticPredator posted:

All godzillas are good imo.

AGAG

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

But secretly I read that as Ghidorah.

All hail King Ghidorah.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

new thread title

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Now I was ready to trust Super MechaGodzilla as someone who clearly, by virtue of being Super MechaGodzilla, knows what they're talking about, but the Monsterverse stuff is certainly a matter of taste because I do not care for Godzilla 2014 and would absolutely recommend Godzilla vs. Kong because it's fun :colbert:

Since kaiju films are perhaps inherently campy to some extent, I find the cartoonish/parodic ones to be complete overkill. Jurassic Park versus Jurassic World.

(You might object that Kong: Skull Island is parodic, but you would be wrong. It's just extremely bold and expressive, like Godzilla vs. Hedorah.)

You can certainly watch the other movies, but my goal is to list the essential ones, and Destroy All Monsters is both kinda redundant and not that great of a story.

Gripweed posted:

I’m also not sure how Rampage is a thematic sequel to Skull Island, because if I recall correctly, SMG has previously explained that Rampage is a blatant and uncomplicated metaphor for having a friend with a mental illness.

I don't see any contradiction there! It's a thematic sequel because the friendship involves a giant ape (who is also a Frankenstein/Gargantua), and the villain-monsters are thinly-veiled ripoffs of Anguirus and Varan (The Unbelievable).

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i like godzilla minus better than shin godzilla a godzilla movie i also liked

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Most importantly in those watch orders, you get both the main versions of the Mothra song.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Nikumatic posted:

also I’m sorry but everyone including myself has been lax in recommending Godzilla vs Hedorah which is incredible for so many reasons

After the '54 original, Godzilla vs Hedorah was the next one I sat through and still is my fave.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I may be slightly biased because Hedorah was the first one I ever sat down and watched start to finish but no, it definitely still slaps.

Also gotta agree: Destroy All Monsters is extremely overrated even if the main fight is fun wrassling spectacle.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

One of my favorites is Godzilla vs. Gigan which is still 40% post-consumer recycled parts from Destroy All Monsters but it has Godzilla having adventures with his good buddy Anguirus so it's cool and good. Gigan is cool too and is the best heel tag team partner you could ask for.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

My not particularly hot take is that GMK should be in the must-watch category of Godzilla movies, it's so good. The absolute squash match with Baragon is proof that rubbersuit fight scenes can absolutely be classed as brutal.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Starting to think All Godzillas Are Good :hmmyes:

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

My not particularly hot take is that GMK should be in the must-watch category of Godzilla movies, it's so good. The absolute squash match with Baragon is proof that rubbersuit fight scenes can absolutely be classed as brutal.

Godzilla curbstomps Baragon into a mountain range. He’s such a mean bastard in that one, it’s great.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

What's the best way to get into Godzilla movies, or is it just "start with the '54 movie and work your way forward"? There's like 40 of these dang things.

yes

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
What are some good anthology horrors outside of Creepshow/Tales from the Crypt? I have Southbound, Trick R Treat, Ghost Stories, the VHS series, Mortuary Collection, and Nightmare Cinema but I'm looking for more

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Doltos posted:

What are some good anthology horrors outside of Creepshow/Tales from the Crypt? I have Southbound, Trick R Treat, Ghost Stories, the VHS series, Mortuary Collection, and Nightmare Cinema but I'm looking for more

Body Bags is a lot of fun, especially since the wraparound is John Carpenter doing schtick.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Doltos posted:

Tales From the Hood and Tales From the Darkside are both sick

the Amicus/AIP British anthologies are great (Asylum, the House that Dripped Blood, Vault of Horror), as is Dead of Night, the first British horror anthology film (maybe the first horror anthology film, period? somebody correct me if I'm wrong)

The Uncanny is a great Canadian attempt at a British-style horror anthology where all of the stories are about cats. Essential viewing for cat loving horror fans.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Doltos posted:

Aw everyone forgets plucky little Tales from the Darkside. (So did I until last year's challenge.)

It's got Steve Buscemi killing Julianne Moore with a mummy. It rules.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Doltos posted:

Aside from Tales From the Crypt, Amicus did a bunch of other anthologies you might want to check out. Asylum, Torture Garden, Dr. Terror's House of Horrors, and Vault of Horror come to mind but I think there's a few more.

Edit: drat too slow. I should've known.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
This thread is a better google

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The British Tales from the Crypt from 1971 is quite good, though I can only remember the home for the blind segment at the moment. Oh, and it has the first version of "And All Through the House"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The British Tales from the Crypt from 1971 is quite good, though I can only remember the home for the blind segment at the moment. Oh, and it has the first version of "And All Through the House"

Yea, good opportunity to remind people that Tales From the Crypt has a Killer Santa segment so it's perfect Christmas season viewing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

speaking of cat horror anthologies, Cat's Eye is pretty fun. love Quitters Inc.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Creepshow, obviously. With Creepshow 2 I feel like two of the segments are pretty racist, and the third isn't nearly as good as I remembered. Haven't seen any of the other sequels or series.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

speaking of cat horror anthologies, Cat's Eye is pretty fun. love Quitters Inc.

What about Two Evil Eyes?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What about Two Evil Eyes?

Weird movie! But one of the last gasps of Good Argento.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Certainly cat-themed.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

next to Dracula and Frankenstein, The Black Cat has gotta be up there for most horror film adaptations

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Gunna try to watch It's a Wonderful Knife today

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Gunna try to watch It's a Wonderful Knife today

tell us if it's better or worse than the Itchy and Scratchy short of the same name

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I ain't looking up Simpsons clips

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was pretty disappointed with Its A Wonderful Knife. It starts out really good but fizzles out pretty fast and the ending gets a bit too wacky.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Wasn’t a classic or anything but I dug it. Justin Long having the time of his life is the cherry on top

E: might help if you watch really bad hallmark/lifetime movies bc it nails the tone. Complete with awkward dialogue and lazy exposition

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I picked solely on the title, going in blind this afternoon

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Starting to think All Godzillas Are Good :hmmyes:

Raids Again is the only one I skip but it's probably not as bad if you just watch it at a random time instead of immediately following the 54 original

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Raids Again is the only one I skip but it's probably not as bad if you just watch it at a random time instead of immediately following the 54 original

yeah it's an enormous dropoff in quality but on its own merits? pretty fun movie.

it's also just neat to see the only other time they filmed Godzilla in black & white 4:3, but with such a different tone and style from the original. it feels a lot more like a U.S. b-movie of the time.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I knew I'd seen Godzilla '54 before, but apparently I saw Raids Again and King of the Monsters a few years back too, even though I don't remember them. I gave '54 five stars (which I just rewatched and it still rules), and the other ones two stars each. Raids Again was such a drop off in quality as a sequel, and KotM just felt like a lovely American remake of the Japanese movie, before the modern era of lovely American remakes of Japanese movies.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What would you call that fire-filled tunnel that would show up starting with Nightmare on Elm Street 3? A portal?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Count Thrashula posted:

and KotM just felt like a lovely American remake of the Japanese movie,

it's not even a remake really, it's just the Japanese film with added scenes of Raymond Burr tacked on.

I've seen all the Showa-era films and most of them rule, I love how goofy and weird they get. I've only seen one or two of the films between that era and Shin Godzilla but I've been meaning to get into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What would you call that fire-filled tunnel that would show up starting with Nightmare on Elm Street 3? A portal?

Eventually it is canonically reveals to be Sister Amanda Kreuger's birth canal, sooooo....