Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

As much as I hate government overreach, I hope jensen eats up his piss-soaked corn flakes

They'll just release them to the US market as 4080 Super TI Magnums at an MSRP of $1499

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
rtx 4090 duper

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

its amazing that peoples light up gamer cards have become political pawns in the global sphere of influence game under the completely artificial guise of "national security". the future is so cool and stupid.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cygni posted:

its amazing that peoples light up gamer cards have become political pawns in the global sphere of influence game under the completely artificial guise of "national security". the future is so cool and stupid.

:thunk:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Cyrano4747 posted:

They'll just release them to the US market as 4080 Super TI Magnums at an MSRP of $1499

That doesn't matter, they don't care about what its called. They don't want GPUs that can accelerate AI adoption to be marketed to China, but they can't let the ban impact Intel because Intel is a big political donor (Dem and Rep)/Lobbyist.

So they have to make a law and then threaten Nvidia that they'll just keep making targeted laws at them.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Do any of the big models even run well on Arc GPUs? One of the Arc GPU designs has 16GB of memory, right?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I've seen that Cyberpunk bar scene a bunch of places. Is that supposed to be a benchmark? If so, why does the appearance of every person in it change every time?

It's the default game benchmark yes

the engine generates the NPCs to populate the place everytime, so every run they're gonna look different :shrug:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cygni posted:

my card doesn't light up :colbert:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Arivia posted:

Do any of the big models even run well on Arc GPUs? One of the Arc GPU designs has 16GB of memory, right?

CUDA is king and nothing in the ARC line comes particularly close in performance right now.

I mean, yes they will be able to get stuff that lets them do AI work, but the idea is they want the top-end stuff reserved for Americans or more importantly not Chinese. But that's very hard to legislate. Ideally they'd like to just say "Whatever we say Nvidia can't ship, they can't ship" but they can't so

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

It's the default game benchmark yes

the engine generates the NPCs to populate the place everytime, so every run they're gonna look different :shrug:

So an inconsistent benchmark lol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arrath posted:

So an inconsistent benchmark lol

if you're using a benchmark to generate actual data you want to be running it multiple times and averaging the results anyway, randomizing NPCs is just more noise to that approach

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Arivia posted:

if you're using a benchmark to generate actual data you want to be running it multiple times and averaging the results anyway, randomizing NPCs is just more noise to that approach

Yeah this is what I was worried about when seeing all the footage. It's especially bad when some video is trying to show deltas in display quality between two different GPUs and you're getting completely different people with completely different appearances in the same scene. I guess it's either not that significance and/or/also people just suck at benchmarking.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Lockback posted:

That doesn't matter, they don't care about what its called. They don't want GPUs that can accelerate AI adoption to be marketed to China, but they can't let the ban impact Intel because Intel is a big political donor (Dem and Rep)/Lobbyist.

So they have to make a law and then threaten Nvidia that they'll just keep making targeted laws at them.

Famously, these sorts of export bans have been a thing for decades. They used to apply more often to Intel chips or supercomputer makers (a top Google hit is a 1990 NYT article about Intel chip restrictions). Really big thing in the 90s and late 80s. It’s just that the relevant performance part for matrix math is now the GPU, so all the new restrictions focus on GPUs.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah this is what I was worried about when seeing all the footage. It's especially bad when some video is trying to show deltas in display quality between two different GPUs and you're getting completely different people with completely different appearances in the same scene. I guess it's either not that significance and/or/also people just suck at benchmarking.
I'm going with the former. One of the settings in the game is crowd density and that's just what the game does everywhere, pull x NPCs from a pool - I don't think the performance hit of the different NPC models it can pick is going to change much across (benchmark) runs, it wouldn't make sense to have NPC extras with wildly varying performance budgets.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

rev up your 4090's, boys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdBZY2fkU-0

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

rev up your PS5s and then rev up your 6090s when it comes to PC two years later

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

looks neat but cp2077 still gonna be the AAA graphics leader

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1731603583257240027

Things are heating up. The US already did one rapid response rule change to ban more GPUs, they are pretty clearly saying they don't want Nvidia selling any GPUs in China.
i'm rooting for nvidia here

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i hope they both lose :evilbuddy:

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Buying the 4090 at launch has ended up being a good decision given all the supply and pricing issues

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'm never rooting for nvidia after Pascal

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I ended up getting a Lenovo Legion 7 Slim during the sales with a Ryzen 7 7840HS, 32GB DDR5 5600 RAM and an RTX 4060, coming from an Intel i5 4670K, 16GB DDR3 1333 RAM and a GTX 1070. I've gone from 1080p 60hz to 1600p 240hz with DLSS and frame generation and its been an astonishing eye opener. Its a bit strange seeing such good graphics coming out of a laptop, the last laptop I owned which had discrete graphics was this enormous ASUS monstrosity in the early noughties with a Radeon 9600M and a whopping 64MB of VRAM.

I've not tried it yet but I particularly like how I can tell my machine to use the integrated Radeon 780M GPU if I want to keep power usage and heat low, a handy option for when I'm playing older games.

I'm now just waiting for Cyberpunk 2077 to go on sale.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Inept posted:

i hope they both lose :evilbuddy:

The only correct answer.

It’s like how I root for asteroid.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.take2games.com/ir/news/rockstar-games-announces-grand-theft-auto-vi-coming-2025

if there was any doubt, the press release confirms its only launching on PS5/XS initially

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

repiv posted:

https://www.take2games.com/ir/news/rockstar-games-announces-grand-theft-auto-vi-coming-2025

if there was any doubt, the press release confirms its only launching on PS5/XS initially

Gunna be impressed if they get those visuals out of the PS5/XSX

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they somehow shipped GTA5 on the PS3 and 360 so i wouldn't put it past them

i wonder how crusty the XSS version will be though

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

repiv posted:

they somehow shipped GTA5 on the PS3 and 360 so i wouldn't put it past them

yes but that version of GTA V was deep-fried

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Lockback posted:

Rockstar has always been good at getting really impressive visuals out of modest hardware. Remember: GTAV shipped for the loving 360. RDR2 looked pretty goddamned amazing on the PS4, and I can say from personal experience that it looked pretty loving good on a 2015-era i5, 16gb of ram and a 970.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Cygni posted:

yeah it's pretty awesome, america's stupid pissy fit that it might have its toys taken away is going to make gaming even harder now

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Shipon posted:

yeah it's pretty awesome, america's stupid pissy fit that it might have its toys taken away is going to make gaming even harder now

lol

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

repiv posted:

Rockstar is the one developer that can get away with telling Microsoft that their game will be X only or its not coming to XBox. And Microsoft will have no choice but to fall to their knees, say yes, and discontinue the S.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Lockback posted:

Bruh have you even tried RDR2 on a base xbone? Rockstar could pull it off

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It'll probably have a FSR Potato Mode for the Series S

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I mean RDR2 ran on the huge xbox but wasn't it like sub-1080p when even the PS4 was full HD

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean RDR2 ran on the huge xbox but wasn't it like sub-1080p when even the PS4 was full HD

864p, which was far from the worst that we've seen. Jedi: Fallen Order was 720p, and the brand new Immortals of Aveum shipped running a dynamic resolution that drops down to 768x436 on the Series S. Less than 480p.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

While nothing in that trailer is exactly revolutionary from a graphical standpoint, the big accomplishment would be delivering that level of fidelity across a huge open world game. But it's still over a year away, so I have to wonder how representative this trailer will end up really being.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wonder if they’ll ever find a way to fix the scoliosis or whatever it is that seems to affect everyone’s ability to walk normally.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lockback posted:

Eh well wake me up in like 24 months when it actually releases (probably 2026 for PC?)

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

Wonder if they’ll ever find a way to fix the scoliosis or whatever it is that seems to affect everyone’s ability to walk normally.

The women are clearly weighed down by their giant breasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Zero VGS posted:

Eh well wake me up in like 24 months when it actually releases (probably 2026 for PC?)

2026? Hah! Remember gta v?