Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Midjack posted:

Being the don's right hand man is cool right up until he leaves and his most powerful adversary takes their revenge out on the remnants of his power structure.

If you're doing it right in the corporate world, the don will take you with him when he goes.

When he retires you might find yourself in a bit of a spot. But if you're really his right hand man he'll probably see you set up somewhere in his contact network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you're doing it right in the corporate world, the don will take you with him when he goes.

Yeah, we've even discussed this very idea on our skip levels. That said, he doesn't really have any designs of going anywhere (voluntarily, anyways) because he's got a cushy thing going, and he's happy with my ability to get other teams to deliver because I like asking the questions that make everyone else squirm, so it works out.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Midjack posted:

Being the don's right hand man is cool right up until he leaves and his most powerful adversary takes their revenge out on the remnants of his power structure.

Then the don brings you into his new company and you're the "poo poo-licking yes man the new boss brought in instead of promoting from within".

We all get to be the villains if you wait long enough.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Lockback posted:

Then the don brings you into his new company and you're the "poo poo-licking yes man the new boss brought in instead of promoting from within".

We all get to be the villains if you wait long enough.

Yeah, I'm concerned that this is how people perceive me and I'm resigned to leaving if my boss goes.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Midjack posted:

Truth.

To this kind of adversary, whatever you have proven in terms of your value to the company in the past is utterly meaningless. And in implementing power moves against you, they will cut off their nose to spite their face.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
That's why I like being a corporate mercenary. If you've got the cash, I've got the loyalty. In god we trust, all others cost plus award.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Vasudus posted:

That's why I like being a corporate mercenary. If you've got the cash, I've got the loyalty. In god we trust, all others cost plus award.

There is no god, so I guess that leaves just the cash

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
6 weeks into 12 week babby leave and I just wanna say:

Hey this whole not working thing is pretty great. I can do this for the rest of my life.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Foolish me thought I'd take 5 minutes to do my self review while on leave to make my bosses life easier since it both opens and closes while I'm out but, uh

I didn't meet any of my personal goals this year and I... just don't care. Maybe they'll forget about it when I come back and I won't have to do it .

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I got all mad again today when out for a walk and thinking about my last job and what a dickhead the interim manager was. And then I remembered who is going to quit from his team and come work with us in the next few weeks and it made me happy thinking how mad he's gonna get lol.

It's the little things that make life worth living.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I still sometimes get mad thinking about what a diuck my boss’s boss was to me eight years ago, two jobs prior to my current one lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I wrote up a pack on a problem that has turned out to be a big can of worms (this was expected) and it's been bouncing around the place including all the way up my management chain where it's then expected to go sideways to various very senior people.

Not bad for 5 months into the job but anyway, some guys from another team came over and asked some questions on an adjacent thing that they had *completely* wrong, I corrected this then the next day they came over and said "oh we found this pack did you do it? Can we ask some questions?" then proceeded to not only get the same thing discussed before backwards again, but then kept saying "ok so it works like..." and getting everything else backwards as well!

They then capped it off by going "well this is a massive issue for us we need to escalate it up our management chain!", I told them to absolutely not do this because I was already covering it and I don't need someone ringing alarm bells with no context in another area, particularly when they don't really understand it. This argument went on until I lost my patience.

Later on a guy I know came over and said "hey did you talk to X and Y? They said they spoke to you and you told them not to escalate and they want to and what should they do. I told them to sit down and shut up.", lol gottem.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Renegret posted:

Hey this whole not working thing is pretty great. I can do this for the rest of my life.

The 12 week baby leave was probably one of the highlights of my career. If my wife's job was such that I could be a stay at home dad I'd have taken that deal in a heartbeat because it was truly amazing.

Instead I'm once again remembering that corpos don't give a poo poo about the people doing the actual work and now I'm in conflict over the anxiety of interviewing and the pain of sticking around.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Renegret posted:

The only, ONLY benefit of being caught up in tech layoffs twice since 2022 was that I essentially got two more parental leaves: one when she was 8-10 months and again when 16-19 months old. It was awesome to get to spend a ton more time with her and definitely makes me rethink how to approach work. Maybe I could push hard to get some promotion, but most likely it won't result in significant progress and instead I could leave before traffic gets real bad and get the afternoon with her.

Now looking ahead to our second being born, I'll have a much shorter leave than my first one gave me, and I'm pretty disappointed by that, but glad to have a job and insurance to make sure the second will be taken care of, and find ways to spend time with her too.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
New boss just said, in an email, "I will call you shortly to discuss."

It's been an hour. I don't know what they think shortly means.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jenkl posted:

New boss just said, in an email, "I will call you shortly to discuss."

It's been an hour. I don't know what they think shortly means.

Ah, rookie mistake. You are clear what shortly means, but Corporate English includes an implied importance-modifier at the end of sentences addressed to underlings. You should read that as:

"I will call you shortly to discuss [unless anything more important breaks my attention span for an instant]."

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
VPN has been down for a week. I have a strong feeling that in 6 months I’ll report back to this thread that my megacorp has declared bankruptcy. The private equity firm that owns us probably intended to go public at some point, but it is clear that the business is not profitable and I think bankruptcy is their only way out at this point. In January I will start looking for a new job.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I had a weird thing this morning when I checked my email and found a message from Workday, saying "John Doe applied to <job> and listed you as a connection who encouraged them to apply".

I couldn't remember who this person was, so I went to LinkedIn, and discovered it was an old coworker. We only worked together for a year, I don't recall him being very good at his job, and plus he never asked me to refer him in the first place. I guess he just looked up people he was connected to on LinkedIn who work at my company, and found me.

Gotta admire the balls. I considered endorsing him for a brief period but I'm leaning towards no.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

poisonpill posted:

I still sometimes get mad thinking about what a diuck my boss’s boss was to me eight years ago, two jobs prior to my current one lol

Yah it’s weird how it will sometimes just hit out of nowhere. I wasn’t even thinking about work, was just out walking the dogs when my brain went “hey remember this poo poo???”

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

Renegret posted:

Foolish me thought I'd take 5 minutes to do my self review while on leave to make my bosses life easier since it both opens and closes while I'm out but, uh

I didn't meet any of my personal goals this year and I... just don't care. Maybe they'll forget about it when I come back and I won't have to do it .

I think it was last Friday when our goals were due for next year and I remember thinking “I’ve been here for three weeks will they even care if I fill them out” so I did nothing. I’ve done close to nothing for three weeks and still haven’t gotten anything in terms of equipment

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I started in August, my manager already said I’m gonna get a “Too New” score, so anything I put in there will be solely from ChatGPT

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nybble posted:

I started in August, my manager already said I’m gonna get a “Too New” score, so anything I put in there will be solely from ChatGPT

As opposed to any other time??

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

The guy that was pissing me and everyone else so much that one person said "if I have to talk to him I'm going to stab someone with a pencil" is back off idk 3 weeks holiday or something and has a) forgotten everything discussed before and b) started raising new things about how he "thinks" it works.

Favourite today is "in 201x we did not have this problem so you should do what was done then". What happened in 201x? Well aside from the fact that he doesn't actually know, it's actually the same thing as today: nothing! It's just that all the poo poo they were shovelling was getting dealt with downstream and in 2023 someone finally got fed up with it and pushed back!

e: this is also related to the above can of worms which is more like a fractal can where the closer you look the more worms there are.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Ah yes the Mandelbrot colleague. They underpin the Power Law, which is colleagues with powerful friends are not subject to work law.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Do you even Mandel, bro??

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Sundae: I will do this thing in the lab. It will involve a regular corporate laptop and regular corporate software. It is all pre-qualified/validated. This should be fine.
QA #1: Nope. You can't say it's fine. You're not IT. Go talk to IT and get them to assess.
IT #1: Sorry, I can't assess that. We don't do assessments. Talk to IT #2 and IT #3.
IT #2: Absolutely it should be fine, but we literally can't do assessments. None of us have access. Let me find you someone who can help. Have you talked to IT#3?
IT #3 in parallel: Nope, we don't do assessments. Have you talked to IT #2?
Sundae: "I've talked to both of you."
IT #2: Here's a potential contact in a CS Validation group.
CSV: Nope, we don't handle that. Go talk to QA #1.
QA#1: Sorry, I'm out of the office. For urgent emergencies, talk to QA#2.
QA#2: Set up a meeting to talk to me about this next week so I can be filled in on the details.
Sundae: gently caress that. Can you help me, QA#3?
QA#3: Sure, send me an assessment.
Sundae: Sweet! *sends assessment*
QA#3: Oh you meant IT hardware. Nope, have you tried talking to IT#1?
Sundae: gently caress.
QA#1: Hey, saw your message. Try talking to QA#3?
IT#2: What about this guy in Systems Quality?
QA#2 Moments Later: What about this guy in Systems Quality?
SQual: You definitely need to validate Windows.
Sundae: WHAT? NO.
SQual: Definitely. Otherwise how do you know it works with Windows?
Sundae: *explains the dude's own loving job to him*
SQual: Oh good, yep, sounds like you've already figured it out. Didn't need me at all!
Sundae: Well actually, I still need someone to DO. THE. ASSESSMENT.
SQual: Okay send me the assessment.
Sundae: Thank god. *sends assessment*

All that just to get someone to confirm to QA that I don't need to validate a pre-validated system that runs on a corporate standard image on corporate standard hardware.

But that's okay, because...

*ping*
E-Mail: We're sorry, but your order of corporate standard laptops is running 6-11+ weeks lead-time. We'll notify you when they start to ship!

I went and found old laptops that our various managers forgot to turn in when their contractors were terminated. I'm gonna re-image them all and try to convert them to lab PCs now, because gently caress this. :lol:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
How can no one know who does IT qual assessments? This seems straightforward and common enough that it should be documented such that at a minimum five of the people on that list don't have a problem finding it.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Why the gently caress would anyone willingly subject themselves to this poo poo?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

tumblr hype man posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone willingly subject themselves to this poo poo?

I usually insist on getting paid.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Money?

Edit: beaten.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
i have seen some real dumb poo poo in my time but that rope a dope is still next level dumbfuckery to me

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Turns out Sundae tried flying to Brazil, but actually ended up in Terry Gilliam's Brazil.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

tumblr hype man posted:

Paychecks big enough to buy into the bay area. :10bux:

I mean, I eventually got my answer and IT#2 was quite helpful. Thanks, IT#2!

quote:

How can no one know who does IT qual assessments? This seems straightforward and common enough that it should be documented such that at a minimum five of the people on that list don't have a problem finding it.

:shrug: We are... not organized. At any individual department level, we do a pretty good job. Step outside your area, though, and you'd think you were on a loving farm for all the silos.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Think I'll take off starting on the 18th.

UnLiMiTeD PTO they said :agesilaus:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Sundae posted:

Paychecks big enough to buy into the bay area. :10bux:

I mean, I eventually got my answer and IT#2 was quite helpful. Thanks, IT#2!

:shrug: We are... not organized. At any individual department level, we do a pretty good job. Step outside your area, though, and you'd think you were on a loving farm for all the silos.

A lot of these issues in pharma is because everything is new and custom made. Companies keep trying to move to strict processes, but then another new type of therapy comes around that doesn't fit, so you need workarounds, or simply the C-suite is just demanding stuff gets dome faster.

There's also only a few people's jobs that bear genuine risk. If my registration trials fail or are late the company doesn't really care if the root cause is data management or whoever, it's Clinical who has to come up with the answers. Manufacturing / CMC is another risk holder, if you can't make the drug (for whatever reason) you carry the can. People in the lower risk jobs end up pretty siloed to keep their risk low.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Sundae posted:

Sundae: I will do this thing in the lab. It will involve a regular corporate laptop and regular corporate software. It is all pre-qualified/validated. This should be fine.
QA #1: Nope. You can't say it's fine. You're not IT. Go talk to IT and get them to assess.
IT #1: Sorry, I can't assess that. We don't do assessments. Talk to IT #2 and IT #3.
IT #2: Absolutely it should be fine, but we literally can't do assessments. None of us have access. Let me find you someone who can help. Have you talked to IT#3?
IT #3 in parallel: Nope, we don't do assessments. Have you talked to IT #2?
Sundae: "I've talked to both of you."
IT #2: Here's a potential contact in a CS Validation group.
CSV: Nope, we don't handle that. Go talk to QA #1.
QA#1: Sorry, I'm out of the office. For urgent emergencies, talk to QA#2.
QA#2: Set up a meeting to talk to me about this next week so I can be filled in on the details.
Sundae: gently caress that. Can you help me, QA#3?
QA#3: Sure, send me an assessment.
Sundae: Sweet! *sends assessment*
QA#3: Oh you meant IT hardware. Nope, have you tried talking to IT#1?
QA#1: Hey, saw your message. Try talking to QA#3?
IT#2: What about this guy in Systems Quality?
QA#2 Moments Later: What about this guy in Systems Quality?
SQual: You definitely need to validate Windows.
Sundae: WHAT? NO.
SQual: Definitely. Otherwise how do you know it works with Windows?
Sundae: *explains the dude's own loving job to him*
SQual: Oh good, yep, sounds like you've already figured it out. Didn't need me at all!
Sundae: Well actually, I still need someone to DO. THE. ASSESSMENT.
SQual: Okay send me the assessment.
Sundae: Thank god. *sends assessment*

All that just to get someone to confirm to QA that I don't need to validate a pre-validated system that runs on a corporate standard image on corporate standard hardware.

But that's okay, because...

*ping*
E-Mail: We're sorry, but your order of corporate standard laptops is running 6-11+ weeks lead-time. We'll notify you when they start to ship!

I went and found old laptops that our various managers forgot to turn in when their contractors were terminated. I'm gonna re-image them all and try to convert them to lab PCs now, because gently caress this. :lol:

Vulnerabilities assigned to my group but totally controlled by outside factors were getting a bit high, so I thought to myself "How can I go around our non-functioning standard procedures in order to actually reduce these?"

Then I mentally slapped myself in the face and thought "Why would you even think something so stupid, just sit still, let Rome burn and collect your paycheck"

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Trabant posted:

Think I'll take off starting on the 18th.

UnLiMiTeD PTO they said :agesilaus:

On the other hand, there’s usually nothing to do around the holidays and as a remote worker the difference between a very quiet day at work and a day off is effectively nothing and my bonus is tied to the amount I bill to the client.

(For legal reasons, this is a joke. I would never commit fraud.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Okay yeah that puts my current database access woes to shame.

Though I still seek the catharsis that only this thread can give me.

First they requested the wrong role for the tables I need.

Then they requested the right role but not for me.

I'm assuming Round 3 will somehow result in my database credentials being revoked entirely or a direct meteor strike or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Nah, you'll get the right roles, on the right user... for the wrong table. :v: