Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Randalor posted:

Jesus Christ that comic is almost 20 years old now. Godspeed OotS, you're an epic for the ages at this rate.

Burlew is racing GRRM to be first to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

In another universe maybe we're all upset the critically acclaimed "Dungeon Crawlin' Fools" went off the rails in the last seasons.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

nimby posted:

Burlew is racing GRRM to be first to finish.

this is like racing a tree cross country

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

In another universe maybe we're all upset the critically acclaimed "Dungeon Crawlin' Fools" went off the rails in the last seasons.

It was great until the last season reveal that, after the party was forced to enter a rift to escape Xykon, the world on the other side was actually just our Earth and they ended up using an actual tank to kill Redcloak.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

nimby posted:

It was great until the last season reveal that, after the party was forced to enter a rift to escape Xykon, the world on the other side was actually just our Earth and they ended up using an actual tank to kill Redcloak.

Eh, I thought the reveal that the MitD was just a photo-realitic human was a bit of a giveaway on that "twist", and the gratuitous nudity HBO put through the series seemed a bit much. The running gag where there was always something obscuring V's genitalia was a nice touch though.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I just gotta say I'm not that interested Order of the Scribble spin-off.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

nimby posted:

It is with a heavy heart that I announce that I would be over the moon if Rich had the guts to give us an ending that bullshit.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
can't believe all it took was a single shard of starmetal to kill every lich at once

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

I just gotta say I'm not that interested Order of the Scribble spin-off.

The real-world/oots-verse combo spin-off that also ties up the Tarquin plot: Who Framed Ian Starshine?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Randalor posted:

Eh, I thought the reveal that the MitD was just a photo-realitic human was a bit of a giveaway on that "twist", and the gratuitous nudity HBO put through the series seemed a bit much. The running gag where there was always something obscuring V's genitalia was a nice touch though.

But you have to admit, Redcloak finally blurting out "to be honest, I never really cared much for goblins, innocent or otherwise" was a brilliant piece of writing.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Gotta say, dealing with Xykon in one episode and spending the rest about fighting Tarquin? Bit of missing the themes, here.

(Also, while Rich works slowly, we know he works; I mean, last ASOIAF book was in 2011, and since then OOTS got both Blood Runs in the Family, and Utterly Dwarfed)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Gun Jam posted:

Gotta say, dealing with Xykon in one episode and spending the rest about fighting Tarquin? Bit of missing the themes, here.

(Also, while Rich works slowly, we know he works; I mean, last ASOIAF book was in 2011, and since then OOTS got both Blood Runs in the Family, and Utterly Dwarfed)

I mean, I think to be fair to grrm he probably *is* actively working on the book. I imagine there's just a lot of writing that goes no where or discarded or extensively rewritten in between things like other projects like House of the Dragon, Elden Ring, and so on. He has a career outside of that specific series and even excluding all that there's a lot of stuff he does like conventions which is a form of work in that it promotes the series.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

I think he recently said he has the same amount of written pages as he had a year ago, my suspicion is that he just doesn't know how to end the story in a satisfying way. The reception of the TV show final season probably kinda spooked him.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I've heard that he's not someone that enjoys working with a big established setting where he has to worry about continuity and has a lot more fun when he can just fly by the seat of his pants.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

nimby posted:

I think he recently said he has the same amount of written pages as he had a year ago, my suspicion is that he just doesn't know how to end the story in a satisfying way. The reception of the TV show final season probably kinda spooked him.

I can't blame him. Imagine seeing your first draft ending presented without proper setup, rushed to completion, and then torn to shreds by people who care a lot (maybe too much?) about your work. I'd be scared to move forward with it too!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

nimby posted:

I think he recently said he has the same amount of written pages as he had a year ago, my suspicion is that he just doesn't know how to end the story in a satisfying way.

Rich, have confidence in yourself... :ohdear:

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Colonel Cool posted:

I've heard that he's not someone that enjoys working with a big established setting where he has to worry about continuity and has a lot more fun when he can just fly by the seat of his pants.

He was a TV writer, so I can definitely see this.

Rich is taking his sweet time, but he's always making progress towards ending the story. He also has health problems slowing him down, plus the whole thing with the Kickstarter bonus goals that probably hosed his workflow for years.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

There is a bad thread in this very same forum if you want to complain about GRRM.

But no lol he's not working on the book, he's just eating nachos and watching football and doing whatever novelty project catches his eye for a few months.

Rich is 10 times the writer he is just because he's able to consistently deliver a finalized page every few weeks.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

GRRM probably would have been a much happier man if he'd never met a single one of his fans

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Shugojin posted:

GRRM probably would have been a much happier man if he'd never met a single one of his fans

Never Meet Your Heroes addendum: Never Meet Your Fans.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Never meet anyone. Live in a cave. Hiss at the sun. Turn your back on God. Find power in solitude.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Phenotype posted:

There is a bad thread in this very same forum if you want to complain about GRRM.

But no lol he's not working on the book, he's just eating nachos and watching football and doing whatever novelty project catches his eye for a few months.

Rich is 10 times the writer he is just because he's able to consistently deliver a finalized page every few weeks.

Being a good writer does involve some amount of writing, yeah.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Never meet anyone. Live in a cave. Hiss at the sun. Turn your back on God. Find power in solitude.

Burma Shave

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Phenotype posted:

honestly, slay, King

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Shugojin posted:

GRRM fans would be happier people if they'd never gotten attached.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I met GRRM at a book signing in 2011. He asked me how I'm liking the show, and I said that I'm going to watch it when the books wrap up the story. He looked at me like I was a loving moron

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

It feels wrong to me to criticize GRRM, because I don't believe creators "owe" their fans a drat thing. And if GRRM is content in his life, more power to him. These are statements I firmly believe.

I'm not sure how to reconcile that with my immense disappointment that I no longer care, at all, about a series I had previously been quite interested in. Is it possible to be frustrated about that fact without being frustrated by GRRM as a person? Honest question.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

oobey posted:

Is it possible to be frustrated about that fact without being frustrated by GRRM as a person? Honest question.
"How much can you separate the art from the artist" and "how much should you separate the art from the artist" would both make for very large, very divisive threads in basically any subforum on SA. It's not a simple or easy topic, so I think that's a decision you need to make for yourself.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

oobey posted:

It feels wrong to me to criticize GRRM, because I don't believe creators "owe" their fans a drat thing. And if GRRM is content in his life, more power to him. These are statements I firmly believe.

I'm not sure how to reconcile that with my immense disappointment that I no longer care, at all, about a series I had previously been quite interested in. Is it possible to be frustrated about that fact without being frustrated by GRRM as a person? Honest question.

You can do as you like in this world hth

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Of all the reasons to fall out of interest in a series, I'd take "the guy got bored of writing it" over the many many reasons I've stopped enjoying something I used to like reading lately, which ranges from "Violent xenophobia" "Literally a rapist" "The world's biggest terf" "Just all the homophobia in existence" and "COVID-19? More like FAKEVID-19"

If GRRM wants to just gently caress around and watch football then that's among the least objectionable things I can imagine an author.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I really can't blame GRRM for just wanting to drop the series considering how the shows reception went. Reception to the last few seasons of the show was bad, and it's easy to believe he got discouraged and just wants nothing to do with the series at this point writing-wise.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Randalor posted:

I really can't blame GRRM for just wanting to drop the series considering how the shows reception went. Reception to the last few seasons of the show was bad, and it's easy to believe he got discouraged and just wants nothing to do with the series at this point writing-wise.

While I do not know how reception of the show good or bad has affected his desire to write the book, I can't imagine it's the main reason for the delay. A dance with dragons was published in 2011, right when the first season was coming out. That book too was finished after a long 6 year delay from the fourth one which came with a decision to split one book into two and a bunch of other things as he decided to massively expand the story. He originally envisioned this as much shorter series but it didn't end up that way.

Like there's plenty of stuff that indicates it's probably just a result of how he writes and his struggles telling the story he wants to tell. And also Football.

I fully believe he still intends to finish, has plans to finish and probably will never finish. But that's okay.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 6, 2023

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cup Runneth Over posted:

My Liege!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

JuniperCake posted:

While I do not know how reception of the show good or bad has affected his desire to write the book, I can't imagine it's the main reason for the delay. A dance with dragons was published in 2011, right when the first season was coming out. That book too was finished after a long 6 year delay from the fourth one which came with a decision to split one book into two and a bunch of other things as he decided to massively expand the story. He originally envisioned this as much shorter series but it didn't end up that way.

Like there's plenty of stuff that indicates it's probably just a result of how he writes and his struggles telling the story he wants to tell. And also Football.

I fully believe he still intends to finish, has plans to finish and probably will never finish. But that's okay.

This is where I'm at, I don't really believe he's the kind of person to just quietly decide one day to drop it. I think at a minimum he doesn't want to screw over his editor like that. He probably has a lot of professional relationships he doesn't want to do dirty. I think it's some combination of writers block and procrastination from how much the scope expanded plus various other professional commitments in addition to quirks like needing to type on a old 1970s Macintosh or however that goes.

I'd of course love it if he does finish the series, even if somehow the plot was still largely the same (I genuinely don't think it could be, too many things from the books are just too irreconcilable from the show) the books I think will be much more enjoyable in how they approach the story and deliver on its themes.

But yeah but also that, no creative really owes 'the fans' a drat thing. So if he did decide to drop the series I'd also be fine with that, I just don't think it's the case that he has yet.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Raenir Salazar posted:

But yeah but also that, no creative really owes 'the fans' a drat thing. So if he did decide to drop the series I'd also be fine with that, I just don't think it's the case that he has yet.

I dunno, if you market your book as "Part 1 of a 7 book series!" and then never get around to writing more than 4 and a half books, I think you're guilty of something akin to false advertising, particularly if your series consists mainly of longform intrigues that will never see a conclusion. I certainly think fans have a right to be aggravated, especially if they probably would never have picked up the books if they'd known upfront that the story would remain incomplete.

and lol cmon they're never coming out

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Martin's a Jets fan so it's not like he's enjoying watching football instead of writing books.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Phenotype posted:

I dunno, if you market your book as "Part 1 of a 7 book series!" and then never get around to writing more than 4 and a half books, I think you're guilty of something akin to false advertising, particularly if your series consists mainly of longform intrigues that will never see a conclusion. I certainly think fans have a right to be aggravated, especially if they probably would never have picked up the books if they'd known upfront that the story would remain incomplete.

We're in a webcomic thread. Rich is going strong, but if you've been reading many of these, you'll have to admit a number of folks promising ambitious epics won't realize them.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Dimebags Brain posted:

Martin's a Jets fan so it's not like he's enjoying watching football instead of writing books.

He hasn’t published a book since the buttfumble happened :tinfoil:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Phenotype posted:

I don't think he specifically marketed it that way, its possible they may not come out, but there isn't really any evidence and doesn't seem very reasonable to say that he's checked out or given up or that its particularly fair to compare Rich with GRRM in that way, and I don't think Rich would appreciate that sort of comparison either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Phenotype posted:

I dunno, if you market your book as "Part 1 of a 7 book series!"

That's not right tho. It was actually supposed to be a trilogy when the first books were written, then it was supposed to be 5 books and now it's 7. That's the problem, he massively expanded his concept in the middle of writing these books. Like books 4+5 take place over the same period of time but involve different characters because there were way too many viewpoint characters to cram into a single book. So the whole thing is a bit off the rails so to speak, rather than this being the plan from the get go. Like you can feel however you want about him but I think you're misrepresenting the situation a bit.

But to bring things back to what this thread is about, Yes I'm 100% confident Rich will finish. Pages are slow but still coming out at a good pace despite all the issues he's had through the years. And he's clearly dedicated to finishing this thing. He's got this.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 7, 2023