Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I dont know posted:

:monkey paw curls a finger:

Comic syndicate announces they will be replacing Prickly City with new comic Nathfield.

Oh thank God, for a second you were going to say Sinfest or Stonetoss was picked up for syndication.

Hang on a second... okay, I just googled it... what the gently caress is a Nathfield? It doesn't look worse than Sinfest or Stonetoss, but I'm guessing it's pretty loving close if it's a monkey paw's wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Randalor posted:

Oh thank God, for a second you were going to say Sinfest or Stonetoss was picked up for syndication.

Hang on a second... okay, I just googled it... what the gently caress is a Nathfield? It doesn't look worse than Sinfest or Stonetoss, but I'm guessing it's pretty loving close if it's a monkey paw's wish.

I’m assuming a cross between Garfield and Big Nate.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Randalor posted:

It's the GarfieldEATS guy's Garfieldsona, which he invented during the meltdown he had when he lost the franchising rights to Garfield.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Imagine a Prickly City themed restaurant.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
https://www.podchaser.com/podcasts/the-nathfield-5046427/episodes/recent

Dude's latest podcast posted:

Meet the lazy ugly piggy 🐽 #reddit troll & cyber attack hacker, Bill Kramer, trying to sabotage the world online with his inflammatory, misinformation, and disruptive content about Nathfield to destroy him for good. It is a CATastrophe!
Bill Kramer is the CEO of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. This poo poo's gonna be real interesting

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Randalor posted:

Short answer: it's like Garfield with more MRA talking points.

Long answer:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4034692

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

ZZT the Fifth posted:

It's the GarfieldEATS guy's Garfieldsona, which he invented during the meltdown he had when he lost the franchising rights to Garfield.

... huh... I have learned so much today about Garfield-related properties that I have no way to unlearn. Still not what I was expecting from a money paw reference, but I would (probably) take it over the obvious candidates.

Edit:

I dont know posted:

Short answer: it's like Garfield with more MRA talking points.

Long answer:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4034692

Oh, okay, so not as bad as Sinfest or Stonetoss, but definitely in the same orbit then? Then yeah, that's what I would expect for a monkey paw wish.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 4, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's surprising that actual Garfield didn't get a bunch of that stuff in it, given that Jim Davis is friends with Mike Pence and some weird right wing groups.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Guavanaut posted:

It's surprising that actual Garfield didn't get a bunch of that stuff in it, given that Jim Davis is friends with Mike Pence and some weird right wing groups.
Jim Davis has always been extremely good at being as bland and marketable as possible.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

How much involvement does Davis himself actually have with the strip these days? I was under the impression he had an entire team that did most of the work for him

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Guavanaut posted:

Imagine a Prickly City themed restaurant.

It'd just be a dining area where the cooks ubereats food from other restaurants.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

DalaranJ posted:

I believe that the purpose of introducing the Hecate's wheel symbol, was to retroactively explain why Ishida only advanced Time's age twice. Hecate is sometimes defined as having three forms 'maiden', 'mother' and 'crone'. Of course Time doesn't display any of the archetypal qualities of any of these 'forms of femininity' because Ishida is incapable of characterizing anyone (and also, of course, because this is a retroactive justification).

I'm not super well versed in modern Wiccan practice but I think it's really unlikely that they would be as gender essentialist as Ishida.

Come to think of it, Ishida's never really even presented any reason for presenting Time as feminine? Most common depictions of Time depict them as masculine. I think that makes this depiction of time a transwoman?

I think you're giving Ishida entirely too much credit.
The Hecate thing was probably just the first witchy looking symbol he could Google.

He didn't age YearGirl because he didn't give a poo poo until just now that he needs to shoehorn in another reincarnation cycle for the new year.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

The Islamic Shock posted:

I assume nobody has a problem with me hotlinking from this specific source
Edit:

Kellies Nomination: Best Edit

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ella Baron on the Gaza evacuation grid system – With Palestinians increasingly squeezed into southern Gaza, Israel has started using a new grid system for evacuation warnings"
Bonus! Best Guardian and Observer Cartoons of 2023 – own a fine art print from Jennings, Squires and Riddell! What other cartoonists?
Also! https://twitter.com/MartinRowson/status/1730658584172646691

Telegraph:

Starmer heaps praise on Thatcher as he woos Conservative voters

Times:

Keir Starmer faces backlash for praising Margaret Thatcher

Evening Standard:

UK 'ready to give Rwanda £15m to seal new small boats treaty'

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Jim Davis is pushing 80, so he probably signs off on whatever deals get shoved under his nose. Garfield was designed as a product from day one.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

He also keeps his political opinions to himself and doesn't broadcast them like Scott Adams.

Then again, he also seemed surprisingly chill when it came to people making parodies of his work and doesn't make a huge fuss over, say, Garfield minus Garfield.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

DalaranJ posted:

Come to think of it, Ishida's never really even presented any reason for presenting Time as feminine? Most common depictions of Time depict them as masculine. I think that makes this depiction of time a transwoman?

Used to be Father Time, but when he was on his feminism kick he had the baby brought by the stork be a girl instead, which was a Big Twist for that year and just became normal in following years.

Almost like... a transition... between male and female...

Kellies Nomination: Coulrophobia Endless Screaming Award

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Jim Davis sold off Paws Inc in 2019 to Viacom. He probably is even less involved today than he was prior.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
This is an excellent YouTube video on the publication history of Garfield, by a fan who managed to dig up a bunch of 'lost' Garfield comics from prior to it becoming nationally syndicated, along with a road trip around Indiana visiting various places that has Garfield statues surrounding the old Paws Inc. building.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Skios posted:

This is an excellent YouTube video on the publication history of Garfield, by a fan who managed to dig up a bunch of 'lost' Garfield comics from prior to it becoming nationally syndicated, along with a road trip around Indiana visiting various places that has Garfield statues surrounding the old Paws Inc. building.

Super Eyepatch Wolf goes into that a bit, too, during his What The Internet Did TO Garfield video, even if that one's more focused on the horror side of things.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I do find it genuinely fascinating that Davis chose to completely gloss over the fact that Garfield originally ran for a year and a half in the Pendleton Times. The way Davis normally tells it, he ran Gnorm Gnat in the Pendleton Times, then dropped it, then Garfield sprung forth fully formed into national syndication two years later. The video goes into it in way more depth, but the Pendleton Times run really managed to shave off some of the rough edges on Garfield.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

VitalSigns posted:

I mean it is kind of a farce. The rest of congress taking a break from insider trading, yacht parties with lobbyists, lining up post-congress sinecures for themselves as rewards for favoring big business, voting for criminal wars and unconstitutional domestic surveillance, etc to feign outrage at a guy stealing small amounts from charities and using campaign funds to pay for Only Fans.

They probably were never going to care about that or his many other crimes, but he committed the cardinal sin of loving with the money. He scammed Republican party donors, the people who give them money for free, who might be less inclined to do so if the party circles the wagons around a guy who robbed them.

one of his victims was fellow representative Max Miller, who had been charged with violating the FEC donation limit, as it turned out Santos had helped himself to a sizable donation off both Miller and his mother's credit cards

He might well still be a congress member if he hadn't done that.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Energy & climate change minister Chris Bowen.

Wilcox:

Broelman:

Labor MP Peta Murphy dies years after breast cancer diagnosis (ABC).

Lethbridge:

Home affairs minister Clare O'Neil.

Spooner:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

They probably were never going to care about that or his many other crimes, but he committed the cardinal sin of loving with the money. He scammed Republican party donors, the people who give them money for free, who might be less inclined to do so if the party circles the wagons around a guy who robbed them.

Did he scam the donors? The donors all know the score, when you buy a congressman you give him money and he votes how you want, as long as Santos was voting how they want they didn't get scammed. I don't think the donors care if you spend their money on OnlyFans directly, or if you take the :decorum: route of laundering it through steering campaign funds to you family and friends' businesses or giving them sinecures paid with campaign funds, or buying a pallet of your ghost-written book to put campaign funds in your pocket all nice and legal-like and then spending it on Only Fans. What you do with the money obviously doesn't matter to them (or they'd never give it to people who spend it on their own book scam to pocket the money), it's what they get in return for the money.

I think he just made the government look bad by stupidly taking money the illegal way instead of carefully following one of the many routes congress has set up to do the same unethical thing but technically within the law.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

one of his victims was fellow representative Max Miller, who had been charged with violating the FEC donation limit, as it turned out Santos had helped himself to a sizable donation off both Miller and his mother's credit cards

He might well still be a congress member if he hadn't done that.

:lol: ok see now that makes sense
stealing from the American people a-ok (as long as you do it the right way). Stealing from another congressman and getting him in a bunch of legal hot water with the FEC, yeah that'll get you kicked out.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Jeff Danziger

Matt Davies

Bill Bramhall

Amjad Rasmi

Adam Zyglis

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

DalaranJ posted:

I believe that the purpose of introducing the Hecate's wheel symbol, was to retroactively explain why Ishida only advanced Time's age twice. Hecate is sometimes defined as having three forms 'maiden', 'mother' and 'crone'. Of course Time doesn't display any of the archetypal qualities of any of these 'forms of femininity' because Ishida is incapable of characterizing anyone (and also, of course, because this is a retroactive justification).

I'm not super well versed in modern Wiccan practice but I think it's really unlikely that they would be as gender essentialist as Ishida.

Sinfest lore dump: Time used to be depicted as a man, and there was like a once a year strip of father time trying to run from the grim reaper only to get blown up Looney Tunes style. At some point though time started being drawn as a woman and began getting story arcs that lasted a year for reasons I can't explain because I don't understand them.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

idonotlikepeas posted:

Jeff Danziger

Not pictured: 2025 when he has the judge jailed or straight up extrajudicially executed

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Does anybody else get a skin-crawling and brain-shrinking sensation when they look at these awful things?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mescal posted:

Does anybody else get a skin-crawling and brain-shrinking sensation when they look at these awful things?

You can buy yourself a new avatar for just $5.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

idonotlikepeas posted:

Jeff Danziger

Bill Bramhall

For gently caress's sake, don't give him any ideas!!!!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/Lubchansky/status/1731689565184803250

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

If you wonder why Carmen is the one who wants to close the border now when it was Winslow in the previous strip, you've given this more thought than Stantis has.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
There's no room here ~literal loving desert and town~

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

PowerBeard posted:

There's no room here ~literal loving desert and town~

And why the gently caress would they be going to Prickly City if they wanted a better life?

Edit: Content
https://twitter.com/EandPCartoons/status/1731871016740323633?t=sKl9aqI_H_-VCIRinJqD4w&s=19

the_steve fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 5, 2023

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Cool this sucks

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Vib Rib posted:

Cool this sucks

Yeah, my initial gut feeling was that it deserved a Kellies Nomination, but I'm at work, so I figured I'd just post it and let someone else have the dubious honor.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"we can't support them" she says of the wildly more successful comics that AREN'T a "conservative comic diversity" strip, such as mallard filmore specifically is

also literally every character so far would have something far more eloquent and nuanced to say about the situation, and in some cases have, but stantis has no way to express that so they're all silently staring into the middle distance as a child and a wild animal scream about the danger they've placed themselves in

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Bob Gorrell

Yes, Bob. It's the Democrats who want to divide the country. No Republican would ever float the idea of a 'national divorce'.

Gary Varvel

John Deering

Michael Ramirez

Tom Stiglich

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

Tom Stiglich

Cartoonist: Man, Democrats are so bad, imagine if they had said the things Trump said!

Audience: so you don't like the things Trump said?

Cartoonist: No, man, I loved it! TRUMP FOREVER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
What rapes?
Seriously. What rapes?
You expect me to believe that the hamas fighters took time out of their very busy day to rape people?
Prove it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)