Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

shorts/TikTok is an important part of the influencer ecosystem - people can show off their mediocre skills at something while subtly advertising their onlyfans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
gang gang

gang gang

ooh so spicy

:siren:entering glizzy overdrive:siren:

(ten minutes of horrible slobbering sounds)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I like the folks who poorly play guitar riffs while absolutely decked out in club outfits, makeup and a smoothing filter. the comments are all “great video! ps I can’t hear”

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

Shorts are loving annoying because the title will look like something I want to see but it's 110% click bait, every loving time, and if I don't click it I'm wondering if I missed something I wanted to see but when I do click on it I'm just low grade pissed that I did.

JayzTwoCents looking at you.

i know this may be hard for you, as the mod of tfr, but you should stop following the racist gun nut

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

gang gang

gang gang

ooh so spicy

:siren:entering glizzy overdrive:siren:

(ten minutes of horrible slobbering sounds)

It took me a moment to realize this isn't the locked Giant Bomb thread. :stare:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Arivia posted:

i know this may be hard for you, as the mod of tfr, but you should stop following the racist gun nut

JayZ is a racist nutter? Do tell, I pretty actively try to cull that poo poo form my youtube. See: Forgotten Weapons and every other loving gun channel I've had to throw overboard because they suck.

edit: also lmao if you think that would be hard for me, you've got a very wrong read on both me and TFR as a forum if you think "supports racist gun assholes" is on brand. Like, idgaf about whatever you're leveling at me, but the forum as a whole takes that poo poo extremely seriously. There's an entire thread dedicated to rooting out racist assholes in the industry, and a not insignificant part of it revolves around flagging the GunTube assholes who are fuckwits. Hint: It's a depressingly large majority of them.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 4, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JayZ is just an annoying dumbass afaik

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

JayZ is a racist nutter? Do tell, I pretty actively try to cull that poo poo form my youtube. See: Forgotten Weapons and every other loving gun channel I've had to throw overboard because they suck.

edit: also lmao if you think that would be hard for me, you've got a very wrong read on both me and TFR as a forum if you think "supports racist gun assholes" is on brand. Like, idgaf about whatever you're leveling at me, but the forum as a whole takes that poo poo extremely seriously. There's an entire thread dedicated to rooting out racist assholes in the industry, and a not insignificant part of it revolves around flagging the GunTube assholes who are fuckwits. Hint: It's a depressingly large majority of them.

I'm teasing you. You may have forgotten, but I've defended you about Suetonius-posting in the past to your face.

Jay posted about shooting BLM protestors if they got anywhere near his house in a gated community back when marches were happening. It's in this thread if you want to go looking for it, although the links to his tweets might be broken with the mess Musk is making of poo poo.

e: jay deleted them, but this is the thread he did tweet that poo poo in if you've still got an X account https://twitter.com/jayztwocents/status/1268026886065537024 (and it's pretty obvious he's being a chud when you look at the thread)

Arivia fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 4, 2023

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

he is a castle doctrine gun idiot who has spent time “preparing to defend his family” … while living much of his life as a borderline disabled morbidly obese IT guy. he’s sadly pretty average for nerds, just has a platform.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Arivia posted:

Jay posted about shooting BLM protestors if they got anywhere near his house in a gated community back when marches were happening.

well why not posted:

he is a castle doctrine gun idiot who has spent time “preparing to defend his family”

Yikes

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

he’s also a big Respect Our Troops guy because iirc his dad was in the navy which really seems odd to me but I’m not American, just a hater

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

It took me a moment to realize this isn't the locked Giant Bomb thread. :stare:

I haven’t been in there since GB East retired and Nextlander happened or whatever. What happened?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

He also regularly gets involve in race related conversations and has at least once claimed to be a victim of anti-white racism.

Also he lashes out like a big baby when people point out he's wrong.

He's just a huge piece of poo poo that doesn't deserve a platform.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
this is not, strictly speaking, entirely techtuber related, but Hbomberguy came out with a video that, while is primarily focused on the issue of plagiarism as it relates to youtube creators, touches on a lot of issues that have come up in this thread, such as a disdain for reaction videos, low-quality videos made in the pursuit of content, and the underlying reasons (read: capitalism) that these things happen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDp3cB5fHXQ

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

this is not, strictly speaking, entirely techtuber related, but Hbomberguy came out with a video that, while is primarily focused on the issue of plagiarism as it relates to youtube creators, touches on a lot of issues that have come up in this thread, such as a disdain for reaction videos, low-quality videos made in the pursuit of content, and the underlying reasons (read: capitalism) that these things happen

This is stupid fuckin long but it’s really good so far.

YouTube is a blight upon humanity.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I was enjoying it but it lost me at the “twist”

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

MarcusSA posted:

YouTube is a blight upon humanity.

All social media is. My boomer father is visiting me and he spends half his day scrolling TikTok to see the latest "Just asking questions" takes from all the insane right wingers that the algorithm can find him.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I haven’t been in there since GB East retired and Nextlander happened or whatever. What happened?

Goons happened.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Basically nobody was watching GB itself anymore since the last big firing (Jess/Jason), there wasn't much to say about a lot of the "offshoots" regularly, and the whole thing became a mock thread circlejerk that was starting to spiral. Mods gassed it.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

priznat posted:

I was enjoying it but it lost me at the “twist”

It "twists" into a specific takedown, which is important for the folks who follow the YouTuber being talked about and the sheer scope of what he did, but it's ultimately not going to be very important to folks outside the Gay YouTube community, essentially.

But, yes, the first few hours are still highly pertinent to Techtubing and has me thinking about the type of stuff I've been watching recently. With hardware, it's more difficult to do (partially because of the effort required in getting some of the parts) but it's still something I want to be conscious of, even if I don't think Steve & Crew and Dawid do full content mill-type stuff. (And I had no idea about Jay, holy gently caress. I sorta didn't like the vibe from his one video I watched and so I bugged off from him but :stare:)

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 4, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

It "twists" into a specific takedown, which is important for the folks who follow the YouTuber being talked about and the sheer scope of what he did, but it's ultimately not going to be very important to folks outside the Gay YouTube community, essentially.

But, yes, the first few hours are still highly pertinent to Techtubing and has me thinking about the type of stuff I've been watching recently. With hardware, it's more difficult to do (partially because of the effort required in getting some of the parts) but it's still something I want to be conscious of, even if I don't think Steve & Crew and Dawid don't do full content mill-type stuff. (And I had no idea about Jay, holy gently caress. I sorta didn't like the vibe from his one video I watched and so I bugged off from him but :stare:)

Yeah it was more interesting when it was more bite-sized examples of egregious plagiarism, but when it pivoted to James Somerton it was kind of "wow, that's pretty blatant" after the first couple examples but then just kept on going with more of the same and my interest petered out. Some of the others I had heard of and so they were of the most interest to me, I do remember watching some cinemassacre stuff wayyyy long ago.

It was really interesting seeing the bits on how people will attempt to re-write/word stuff and end up making it almost nonsensical, definitely something to keep an eye out for to spot a plagiarist.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
if you’re not feeling Hbomb’s Somerton content then definitely don’t watch the newest Todd in the Shadows lol

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Ok Comboomer posted:

if you’re not feeling Hbomb’s Somerton content then definitely don’t watch the newest Todd in the Shadows lol

I ended up zoning out on hbomber’s Somerton stuff mostly because it was part 3 (I think) of similar content in a long rear end video and I ended up just skipping through. Thankfully Todd is going in a different direction so I can pay better attention

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Just a few days ago I was checking his channel because he hasn't posted anything in a year and was wondering what's up. Working on a 4-hour video, apparently :lmao:

E: I'm disappointed it's not about Deus Ex though

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Dec 4, 2023

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I ended up zoning out on hbomber’s Somerton stuff mostly because it was part 3 (I think) of similar content in a long rear end video and I ended up just skipping through. Thankfully Todd is going in a different direction so I can pay better attention

I assume it's so extensive with so many examples so Somerton can't just apologise for like two things or claim they've been misrepresented and move on. I agree it's a lot of the same thing over and over but I guess if your goal is to make them stop doing this you have to provide enough proof that it's structural failings rather than individual errors.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Don't know if any of you have been following the investigations into the Open Hand Foundation and the Completionist, but every video about it seems to get worse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUKxnUXW06w

Essentially, Muta looks at the Open Hand Foundation's stated earnings vs. what they earned from a charity golf tournament and donations from Jamie Lee Curtis (!), and it doesn't seem to add up; there's thousands more they probably took in that weren't reported. A big name like Curtis being involved means that if there is wrongdoing here, there actually could be consequences.

I'm not an accountant or a legal expert, but it looks pretty bad. Jirard's silence since Muta and Jobst's videos isn't a good look (though at one point Muta admits that legal counsel might have told Jirard to shut up lest he get himself in more hot water).

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Don't know if any of you have been following the investigations into the Open Hand Foundation and the Completionist, but every video about it seems to get worse:

Essentially, Muta looks at the Open Hand Foundation's stated earnings vs. what they earned from a charity golf tournament and donations from Jamie Lee Curtis (!), and it doesn't seem to add up; there's thousands more they probably took in that weren't reported. A big name like Curtis being involved means that if there is wrongdoing here, there actually could be consequences.

I'm not an accountant or a legal expert, but it looks pretty bad. Jirard's silence since Muta and Jobst's videos isn't a good look (though at one point Muta admits that legal counsel might have told Jirard to shut up lest he get himself in more hot water).

What a giant piece of poo poo. What’s worse is he claims to have started the foundation to honor his mother, which he now has successfully dishonored her name as well. The whole lot needs to go to jail over this. Absolutely disgusting behavior.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

repiv posted:

unfortunately shorts pushes creators to make their videos in vertical format so even if you unfuck the UI they're still badly formatted on anything other than a phone

it feels dirty of me to admit, but I do watch shorts on my portrait 27" secondary monitor from time to time

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I keep my eye eye on Muta for the odd linux post, but that stuff is looking increasingly shifty... as you say if a celebrity gets involved then everything is going to looked at more than normal.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Honestly I'd be less worried about Jamie Lee Curtis (although that yearly $25k donation is still definitely grounds for fraud prosecution) and more worried about the corporate sponsors at the golf tournament (Pepsi, Coke, Monster energy) going after them. Jamie Lee is a celebrity, but she doesn't have a multinational corporation's legal division backing her up.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Well you see Curtis has a penis and has been hiding her/his trans identity since the 90s.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It's pretty impressive that Sony hosed up bad enough that both Stephanie Sterling and Louis Rossmann, two creators that couldn't be more different, made videos just absolutely roasting Sony for removing content that customers have paid for, lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krXH8jXefqE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a71_BespSCY

Actually I shouldn't say that sony hosed up, this is what they wanted to do, and angry youtubers aside nothing will change.

priznat fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 5, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm going to take a guess that the company that's been slashing and burning its entire digital output over the last few years is probably more to blame for that than Sony.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Yeah, I seriously doubt Sony would be doing this if Warner/Discovery weren't making them. Pretty much every digital storefront has the ability these days to stop selling you something while still letting you download it if you paid for it already. Mostly because most companies recognise that while it might be completely legal to do what Warner's doing here it is likely to make people stop buying your digital stuff.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, I seriously doubt Sony would be doing this if Warner/Discovery weren't making them. Pretty much every digital storefront has the ability these days to stop selling you something while still letting you download it if you paid for it already. Mostly because most companies recognise that while it might be completely legal to do what Warner's doing here it is likely to make people stop buying your digital stuff.

Has any other company come out against it yet? Surely people upset about it will just stop buying digital in general, not just Warner movies.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Cyks posted:

Has any other company come out against it yet? Surely people upset about it will just stop buying digital in general, not just Warner movies.

That's the point. They don't want you to buy stuff they want you subscribing to their streaming service.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

njsykora posted:

I'm going to take a guess that the company that's been slashing and burning its entire digital output over the last few years is probably more to blame for that than Sony.

I'm curious, could Sony have negotiated for its users to be able to keep their purchased media when making the deal with Discovery in the first place or is that not a thing with these agreements?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

njsykora posted:

Nah, I think this is Sony's fuckup. The base problem is that Sony gave up on selling movies & TV via the PS Store a few years ago. So as their licensing agreement expire they aren't doing any effort to extend deals or keep access for people who "bought" stuff. And they aren't giving refunds because they don't give a poo poo.

When google abandoned Stadia they gave refunds despite their terms giving them an out. Google is more worried than Sony about public perception.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I'm curious, could Sony have negotiated for its users to be able to keep their purchased media when making the deal with Discovery in the first place or is that not a thing with these agreements?

This is a not-infrequent problem so it seems to me like the standard deal is time limited with no special extensions for people who "bought" the content. Maybe you could negotiate for that, but I'm sure the other side would want more money for it.

Putting a video game up on Steam or a console store, it's the opposite -- because in video games the stores have way more power.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
sony basically went all-in on digital with the ps4 pro and its absence of uhd support

they wanted to set up their own digital store (which sounds a little anti-competitive). the whole thing blew up, and sony had to abandon the idea

fortunately the ps5 supports uhd, even though they probably had to at this point to keep it from being completely embarrassing

sony's online record with playstation is just a mess in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sonys track record with media types, media availability and general media fuckery is some of the worst in the electronics industry, I'd argue