Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
gently caress DA MODDDDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hehe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

crispix posted:

gently caress DA MODDDDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hehe:

Justice for Fuctifino

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Tory Chancellor Reggie Maudling's note when tories lost the election in in 1964:

"Upon being forced out of the post by the election defeat, Maudling left a note to his successor, James Callaghan, simply stating "Good luck, old cock.... Sorry to leave it in such a mess".["

Wonder why no one goes on about that note!

Cause the received knowledge is always that the tories are bastards but they'll look after your money, and it ties in with that. Whereas the "no money left" note fits with the received knowledge that labour are nice but will cause financial ruin and Gordon Brown ate all the pounds.

Another example is the "Britain going cap in hand to the IMF" legend about financial mis-management by the mid 1970s labour government. Which omits that Britain went to the IMF for loans so often in the '60s and '70s that it was joked the IMF headquarters were paid for out of the interest, and that the "mis-management" was external factors which hosed up a load of other economies compounded by the whiplash of an attempt to buy off voters by the outgoing tories with a rake of tax cuts so generous it was called the "Barber boom".

Rather than challenge that whole narrative for its errors or false premises, Rachel Reeves wants to overturn it by giving her successors a treasury office safe full of white fivers and glue in the lock. Future generations will worship it like a poo poo iron Ka'ba.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

a probe is not bullying

It sure is an unseen level of incompetence though

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Diet Crack posted:

an unseen level of incompetence

lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Diet Crack posted:

It sure is an unseen level of incompetence though

D&D mods set a high level for tbf

Like, they have one job, stay the gently caress away from using their buttons in this thread. That's it. How do you fail to achieve this?

First they come for people not sad their mam died, next they'll try to stop us and the Aussies from saying oval office.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

If anyone knows anything about us Brits it's that we all love our dear old mums

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I’ve not read up the thread but I have to jump in to say the succession theme is the single greatest theme ever written. It sets the tone for the show so we’ll and is catchy as hell.

Also if you’ve ever gone to an unpleasant but important event (tribunal, inquest, job interview) and not put it then you’re missing out. Embrace your inner Kendall (in a very limited way)

Also gently caress the mods what the gently caress

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 5, 2023

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
One of the greatest gifts a person can acquire is the knowledge that they shouldn't touch the poop.
This thread, it is the poop.
Mods: don't touch.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

kingturnip posted:

One of the greatest gifts a person can acquire is the knowledge that they shouldn't touch the poop.
This thread, it is the poop.
Mods: don't touch.

I'll shitpost here as I choose :colbert:

i/we leave mod decisions to the IKs (I uh need to double check who is, the forums aren't listing any), unless something is very obviously a problem; iirc the last semi disputable thing I pushed buttons on was a dickhesd trolling the thread and I was only able to recognize it because I've been reading this thing on and off since the phone hacking hearings

e: oh no should have scrolled up further, what happened, sec

e: yeah imo and given his posting I think that probably didn't need a 24h in ukmt specifically, I'll let its know. No promises on getting it reversed before it runs out naturally. Depends how many admins are around and, well, it's nighttime in the us on a weekday.

e3: I too am not in your timezone but if there's a real wacky mod intervention here you can PM me, no promises on resolution speed but I'll read the thing and poke my head in

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 5, 2023

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Tesseraction posted:

I wouldn't be able to afford a skilled worker visa at my new salary then.

How many skilled workers are driving immigration figures? I cannot see this change doing much at all.
The change for skilled workers is getting the headlines, but they’re also jacking up the minimum income for family visas - i.e. what you need if you’ve married a dirty foreigner and have the temerity to think you deserve to live together - from £18.6k per year salary to £38.7k (that’s for spouse only, several thousand more per child if you have any, and it all has to be from the UK partner, none of this ‘joint income’ nonsense)

So I guess I’m extra-never coming home to look after my parents in their old age now :(

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Apraxin posted:

The change for skilled workers is getting the headlines, but they’re also jacking up the minimum income for family visas - i.e. what you need if you’ve married a dirty foreigner and have the temerity to think you deserve to live together - from £18.6k per year salary to £38.7k (that’s for spouse only, several thousand more per child if you have any, and it all has to be from the UK partner, none of this ‘joint income’ nonsense)

So I guess I’m extra-never coming home to look after my parents in their old age now :(

Yeah and 'bring my long-term boyfriend to the UK to live with me, where his salary could easily support us both' is an even more distant dream.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I'll shitpost here as I choose :colbert:

i/we leave mod decisions to the IKs (I uh need to double check who is, the forums aren't listing any), unless something is very obviously a problem; iirc the last semi disputable thing I pushed buttons on was a dickhesd trolling the thread and I was only able to recognize it because I've been reading this thing on and off since the phone hacking hearings

e: oh no should have scrolled up further, what happened, sec

e: yeah imo and given his posting I think that probably didn't need a 24h in ukmt specifically, I'll let its know. No promises on getting it reversed before it runs out naturally. Depends how many admins are around and, well, it's nighttime in the us on a weekday.

e3: I too am not in your timezone but if there's a real wacky mod intervention here you can PM me, no promises on resolution speed but I'll read the thing and poke my head in

this is fixed.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Can I just say THANK YOU :toot: to everyone who spoke out for reversing the probation and for the mods/admins who reversed it. I totally understand why a passing mod would see that out of context and act, so no hard feelings, but it was just my way of mourning. I'm a stay at home cripple with no actual real life local friends or support, so coming back on SA after having all of this going on was my way of getting a load of poo poo off my chest. It's the first actual public display of grief after ~10 days of chaos.

That meme of my mum was probably going a bit too far, but it sums up how I feel about her. She has pulled the literal rug from under my feet and I now have no secure future whatsoever. I'm still coming to terms with that part...

I will tone stuff down in the future, and I know how this must look to people who come from functional families and who have/had functional mothers who acted like actual mothers, and I'm sorry if my recent rantings have triggered bad memories or feelings in any of you.

I also haven't apologised for the vid of Gaza that got me that ban just over a month ago. I posted what I did out of anger, and I'm trying to learn to walk away from the keyboard when emotions run high like that. It's all a learning process. I apologise for whatever future mistakes I do in advance, and don't expect any special favours.... but I do appreciate this one.

I love you all!

e: And thank you for restoring the plat that I lost when I was banned for the Gaza post!

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 5, 2023

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

fuctifino posted:

Can I just say THANK YOU :toot: to everyone who spoke out for reversing the probation and for the mods/admins who reversed it. I totally understand why a passing mod would see that out of context and act, so no hard feelings, but it was just my way of mourning. I'm a stay at home cripple with no actual real life local friends or support, so coming back on SA after having all of this going on was my way of getting a load of poo poo off my chest. It's the first actual public display of grief after ~10 days of chaos.

That meme of my mum was probably going a bit too far, but it sums up how I feel about her. She has pulled the literal rug from under my feet and I now have no secure future whatsoever. I'm still coming to terms with that part...

I will tone stuff down in the future, and I know how this must look to people who come from functional families and who have/had functional mothers who acted like actual mothers, and I'm sorry if my recent rantings have triggered bad memories or feelings in any of you.

I also haven't apologised for the vid of Gaza that got me that ban just over a month ago. I posted what I did out of anger, and I'm trying to learn to walk away from the keyboard when emotions run high like that. It's all a learning process. I apologise for whatever future mistakes I do in advance, and don't expect any special favours.... but I do appreciate this one.

I love you all!

<3

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
Given the mods had to step in last month to probe the guy saying Hitler was right, I don't think it's unreasonable they're not completely hands off anymore. But yeah that one was a bad shoot.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Jakabite posted:

I’ve not read up the thread but I have to jump in to say the succession theme is the single greatest theme ever written. It sets the tone for the show so we’ll and is catchy as hell.

Also if you’ve ever gone to an unpleasant but important event (tribunal, inquest, job interview) and not put it then you’re missing out. Embrace your inner Kendall (in a very limited way)

Also gently caress the mods what the gently caress

Can't believe people think the Succession theme is bad. For everyone speculating about how it's meant to be interpreted, here's the composer, Nicholas Brittel, talking about it:

quote:

“The first thing you see [in Succession],” Britell said, “is [Kendall's] in the back of this car rapping to the Beastie Boys.” It’s hard not to think about Kendall as a failed Britell, a parallel-universe version of what he might have been if he had stayed in finance: a Wall Street bro who hides inside his headphones and disconnects from the world he chose. The scene — a young man rapping earnestly inside a chauffeured car — offered a window into how the Roys’ self-conception might contrast sharply with their destructive incompetence. “What if the sound that they imagined for themselves was this dark, courtly, late-1700s harmonic sound?” Britell asked himself. “I played Jesse some of these chords,” he said, “and he was just sort of like, ‘Yes.’”

“It was just a wonderful, hairs-on-the-back-of-your-neck feeling that you don’t often have,” Armstrong told me. “To get that feeling, to feel like, Oh, my God, this is something which just feels like the show.” The waltz-like rhythm, reflecting the unsteady dance between the three central siblings, was “a smart insight” that continues to shape the way Armstrong writes the series.

The show’s addictive title sequence was the last recording Britell made for Season 1. He had structured the season’s music like a symphony; the title theme, like an overture, introduces you to all the elements you’ll hear in the show, which Britell recited for me. The beguiling melody. The detuned pianos. “The cello melody, the idea of these huge beats, the weird sleigh bell — ” The sleigh bell? “That’s its own thing,” Britell admitted. “That actually doesn’t appear in other parts of the show.” The main theme is everything, but brighter.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

Mesopotamia posted:

a bad shoot.

Gross.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

To celebrate Mod Justice please enjoy this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_74N7KJmEj4

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Apraxin posted:

loving hell it was bad enough when they set it to 18.6, at almost 39 grand that's only the top 12% or so of earners in the UK. Renders it an utterly unrealistic privilege for the great majority of the country.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

MeinPanzer posted:

Can't believe people think the Succession theme is bad. For everyone speculating about how it's meant to be interpreted, here's the composer, Nicholas Brittel, talking about it:

This is a dumb writeup, because a waltz rhythm would have worked and would maybe have been a way of depicting the struggle between the 3 main characters i guess but... it's not a waltz, it's in 4/4. And everyone forgets about the real Eldest Boy!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Oh and Succession always looked really boring to me, also why is everyone talking about it the last day or two, I've seen more conversation about it than when it was airing

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Depends how it's 'bad'

Bad as in aimed badly? Eh.

Bad as in substandard force? Meh.

Or bad as in gone off? :barf:

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Ms Adequate posted:

Oh and Succession always looked really boring to me, also why is everyone talking about it the last day or two, I've seen more conversation about it than when it was airing

an angry red faced old guy yells 'gently caress!' a lot. you have now watched succession

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Good job I read to the end of the thread before sending my “loving idiot clown mods” message. I’ll swap out mods for government and send it to my MP instead.

Edit: …for exactly the same level of impact as if I’d sent it the mods.

Sanford fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Dec 5, 2023

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

kecske posted:

an angry red faced old guy yells 'gently caress!' a lot. you have now watched succession

https://twitter.com/Buncahn/status/1183446961023676416

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

The topic of poo poo-head relatives and inheritance came up, and here we are.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I recommend "Knives Out" for some inheritance related drama. :ese:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

I recommend "Knives Out" for some inheritance related drama. :ese:

Good film.

Also, if you want something which probably provided inspiration to Succession, try Festen, the 90s Danish movie. It's the first of the Dogme films so it has that really pretentious handheld art-film style, but it's also excellent and dark and awkward as all hell

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Ms Adequate posted:

Oh and Succession always looked really boring to me

You're right. It's real boring. Just like Breaking Bad which is also really boring.

I've been told both shows get good at/after season 2, but that's an unreasonable amount of time to put into something that's really bad waiting for it to get good.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The wife and I watched the first one and a half seasons of Successon. And like, it's good. In the sense that it is very well made, has a great soundtrack and some great performances by the cast.

But we never got to a point where we were like "wow this is some must watch TV."

As a comedy, it's just not funny enough. Like absurd things happen every so often, and there are amusing bits in each episode, but you aren't busting a gut. Unless you have a really high tolerance, further humour comes from how uncomfortable the situation is." (The "Boar on the floor" part.)

As a drama, it just doesn't seem to have the necessary gravitas. Any time any of the children seem to grow or develop, their dad yells at them, and they back down and go back to being adult-children. And maybe it's a metaphor for the show.

I guess it's great, it just never clicked with us. We'll probably try another couple of episodes in a few months time and come to the same conclusion.

This is very accurate to what I've seen in the show. And those are some spot on copying of character mannerisms.

Great link.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I don’t know if this helps but they are all supposed to be grotesque caricatures of Murdoch and his children. They are all intended to be revolting and dislikeable in different ways. It’s not a show where you are supposed to be rooting for someone. They are all terrible people that you are encouraged to laugh at for being cunts.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Good film.

Also, if you want something which probably provided inspiration to Succession, try Festen, the 90s Danish movie. It's the first of the Dogme films so it has that really pretentious handheld art-film style, but it's also excellent and dark and awkward as all hell

I remember watching that (Festen) at the cinema but have no recollection of what happened in it except it was a 60th birthday party.

I saw a few of those Dogme things.

Best of all was "The Kingdom" spooky goings on in a hospital in Denmark, above friend and I saw that at the slightly pretentious ICA in The Mall. (The first time I saw Stellen Skarsgaard in anything.) They joined all the episodes up as two 'films'. I still remember some of the quotes from it.

"Shocking and frightening tale of a haunted hospital that was built over an ancient graveyard. The doctors have put all their faith into science and technology, and are dismissive of any suggestion of mysticism or unseen powers...at their own peril."

Dancer in the Dark with Bjorke in it. I thought that was a good film, my friend who I saw it with though had a completely different interpretation on Bjork's role than I did which was interesting!

Breaking the Waves had me literally sobbing out loud in the cinema along with several others at the bit where the priest steps over the Emily Watson character on the ground.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

The Kingdom would have been a lot better had it not been so transparently based on Darkplace.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah I remember liking Dancer In The Dark. I should watch Beneath The Waves

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

The Kingdom would have been a lot better had it not been so transparently based on Darkplace.

Having never heard of Darkplace until I was today year's old, that wasn't a problem for me!
But I just looked and Darkplace was around 10 years AFTER The Kingdom. (I'm talking about the Danish series/film 1994ish not a more recent offering)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BsU22q8a2Q

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Dec 5, 2023

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

But I just looked and Darkplace was around 10 years AFTER The Kingdom. (I'm talking about the Danish series/film 1994ish not a more recent offering)

It was a joke because the Darkplace show-within-a-show purports to be from the 80s but is quite transparently based on The Kingdom.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

It was a joke because the Darkplace show-within-a-show purports to be from the 80s but is quite transparently based on The Kingdom.

Aha passed me by - never heard of Darkplace so maybe that's why.

A friend and I used to argue about things all the time because she was a lot younger than me so for example that song that goes "You make me feel" she always thought was by the Communards, but I remember Sylvester doing it years before in the 70s.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Dec 5, 2023

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Just for the record, Inferior Third Season PM'd me to say that they probated me as they were worried about me self-doxxing, not realising I've been self-doxxed for 22 years on this platform, and I didn't have Plat at the time for them to warn me. So I totally get it, but I should make it clear that I wasn't probated for incorrect mourning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Miftan posted:

You're right. It's real boring. Just like Breaking Bad which is also really boring.

I've been told both shows get good at/after season 2, but that's an unreasonable amount of time to put into something that's really bad waiting for it to get good.

Nah Succession season 1 is just as good if not better than the rest. If you don't like it then you never will.