Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Honestly, if any xeno race gets a DLC, I'd love the Tau- I want my giant friggin' robot, daganabbit!

EDIT: It might even make sense for a certain playstyle:

Recruit an Ork for your Hereticus game! Recruit a Tau for your Benevolentia run! The two upcoming human NPCs should have a proper Imperialis run covered, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
If they plan a DLC roadmap like similar to their previous games, it's going to be the 2 major DLC and maybe something extra for a season pass 1, and a comparable amount of content for a season pass 2 the following year.

The stand alone 'dungeons' and stories for the Pathfinder games weren't terrible just kind of boring, and given how many unique character creation potential options are locked out for the Rogue Trader PC there's a lot of room for stuff W40k fans would really enjoy, like maybe a PC Space Marine running through a mini-campaign.

The co-op aspect is also pretty ripe for development, it's supposed to be based on one Rogue Trader as the main game, everyone else just follows along. I'm pretty much assuming people are going to mod in the ability to play as the unique classes for co-op, running as different space marines or Eldar at a minimum.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

They've planned 2 dlcs with about 15 hours of story and a new major companion in each, one of which is a death cult assassin, and the other an arbites. Sounds like they're keeping everything pretty grounded to the imperium.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 5, 2023

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Further Reading posted:

Kornus expanse is in the calixus sector iirc. Looking at the map it's on the other side of the big chaos blob north of terra where the eye of terror is. here.

Yes, the Koronus Expanse and even the Calixis Sector are out in the "Halo Stars" - they were already on the bad side of the Eye of Terror even in M41, so folks out there would be used to having trouble with the Astronomican. It is a little sad we won't get to see the Rift torn open in-game, but it also makes sense that a ton of Chaos trouble is happening out there, what with a Lord of Change seemingly living in our head for much of the game.

Anyway, interesting, I wonder if the date change was part of a GW-mandated alteration.

Also, the choice of no Orks for the initial release is gonna be contentious. I absolutely love love love the John Blanche-inspired event illustrations, though. They feel like they'd go into a print 40k book and fit the style with no issues whatsoever.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Honestly, if any xeno race gets a DLC, I'd love the Tau- I want my giant friggin' robot, daganabbit!

EDIT: It might even make sense for a certain playstyle:

Recruit an Ork for your Hereticus game! Recruit a Tau for your Benevolentia run! The two upcoming human NPCs should have a proper Imperialis run covered, I think.

There's effectively a 0% chance of Tau ever appearing in this game. The Tau Empire is literally about as far from the Calixis Sector as you can possibly get, being diagonally opposite way down near the Eastern Fringe - hell, it's even on the opposite side of the Cicatrix Maledictum. Kroot is at least plausible.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Someone hasn't read Deathwatch, it seems :smugbert:

Spoilers for the RT/DW game lines: There's an ancient gate (which is implied to be made by either the Eldar or Old Ones) in the Koronus sector that links to the Eastern Fringe, which links both Rogue Trader and Deathwatch's settings together. The so-called 'Margin Crusade' that is alluded to in DH and RT is actually taking place in the galactic East. It's also why there's official rules for Tau Explorers in the tabletop, complete with rules for their battlesuits, up to the XV-02 battlesuit IIRC :syoon:

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 5, 2023

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

There's effectively a 0% chance of Tau ever appearing in this game. The Tau Empire is literally about as far from the Calixis Sector as you can possibly get, being diagonally opposite way down near the Eastern Fringe - hell, it's even on the opposite side of the Cicatrix Maledictum. Kroot is at least plausible.

It's not QUITE impossible, since the T'au are experimenting with warp technologies in the Startide Nexus, just very very unlikely. One could have been flung there as part of the 4th Sphere of Expansion, by mistake. The bigger issue would probably be "What are they even doing there that's interesting?" because they wouldn't have any real connection to their empire as a whole. Maybe finding more survivors?

Would be neat to see a Votann though, and Kroot is more likely than one would think.

Edit:^ Huh, and there's that too I guess.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

evilmiera posted:

Would be neat to see a Votann though, and Kroot is more likely than one would think.

Owlcat has explicitly said that Votann aren't going to be on the cards for RT, because they were informed about the Votann plans too late to include them in the plan for the game. (Evidently third party developers found out about the Votann the same way everyone else did, in order to keep leaks to a minimum.)

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 5, 2023

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

Owlcat has explicitly said that Votann aren't going to be on the cards for RT, because they were informed about the Votann plans too late to include them in the plan for the game. (Evidently third party developers found out the Votann the same way everyone else did, in order to keep leaks to a minimum.)

Unfortunate. But then again we don't really know enough about them to make a compelling character yet, I think.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
They are Abhumans from the Age of Technology that didn't lose their knowledge [mostly] and are largely made up of clones. Descendants of people that boarded generation ships from Terra a very, very long time ago. As a society still holding on to high technology, they both have a lot of true AI and consider them equal members of society. Also they gave the Tau technology, because the Tau are a poo poo race that accomplished nothing of value on their own I guess :shrug:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Mulva posted:

They are Abhumans from the Age of Technology that didn't lose their knowledge [mostly] and are largely made up of clones. Descendants of people that boarded generation ships from Terra a very, very long time ago. As a society still holding on to high technology, they both have a lot of true AI and consider them equal members of society. Also they gave the Tau technology, because the Tau are a poo poo race that accomplished nothing of value on their own I guess :shrug:

I like that most of the descriptions of their technology are just, this is the same as the imperial version but better, without really going into specifics. Hopefully they get a good book that fleshes them out at some point but they seem really boring to me and mostly fulfilling the exact same role as the tau as a smaller, more advanced, but precarious alternative to the imperium. Tau at least have a unique look and original gear too, the aesthetic of the leagues often just looks like stockier space marines wielding more compact weapons to me.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Dec 5, 2023

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mulva posted:

To be honest a lot of T'au technology IS due to them incorporating other races tech. It should come into play more with auxiliaries but sadly isn't represented well on the tabletop

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

evilmiera posted:

To be honest a lot of T'au technology IS due to them incorporating other races tech. It should come into play more with auxiliaries but sadly isn't represented well on the tabletop

Yeah with each new Tau Codex edition more client races are mentioned but they never show them lol

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
For those who participated in the WotR beta, did they allow a preload?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

For those who participated in the WotR beta, did they allow a preload?

They did not, and they are explicitly not doing one for RT:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/2186680/announcements/detail/3905246507035489481

quote:

After receiving the key, you will be able to activate it in the corresponding program or launcher. Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader will appear in your game list. You will be able to download the game only on the release day, 7th of December.

50 hours to go. I will remain calm. I will remain serene.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fair enough; if the map they gave was accurate, it'd probably be really late over here in Malaysia (around 11 PM-12 AM) anyway; might as well get some actual sleep instead of spending a late hour or two on character creation :v:

SpaceDrake posted:

50 hours to go. I will remain calm. I will remain serene.

I CAN FEEL THE WAIT OVERTAKING ME... IT IS A GOOD PAIN!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

I like that most of the descriptions of their technology are just, this is the same as the imperial version but better, without really going into specifics. Hopefully they get a good book that fleshes them out at some point but they seem really boring to me and mostly fulfilling the exact same role as the tau as a smaller, more advanced, but precarious alternative to the imperium. Tau at least have a unique look and original gear too, the aesthetic of the leagues often just looks like stockier space marines wielding more compact weapons to me.

Are they more precarious? I haven't read the rules sheets or anything if they're out but I assumed it'd be closer to the Dwarves vs Empire in WHFB, where the dwarves have sturdier but otherwise similar technology. Or I guess some really long range stuff you keep out of melee.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Are they more precarious? I haven't read the rules sheets or anything if they're out but I assumed it'd be closer to the Dwarves vs Empire in WHFB, where the dwarves have sturdier but otherwise similar technology. Or I guess some really long range stuff you keep out of melee.

I meant precarious more as in their position in the balance of the galaxy. If the imperium found out what the minds really were they'd almost certainly annihilate the faction. More advanced tech wouldn't matter against the raw numbers of a crusade fleet on a mission to destroy abominable intelligences.

Much like the Tau are powerful and growing but are still a pretty small empire separated from the imperium, and survive because they're not the biggest threat to any of the factions really.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 5, 2023

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm actually pretty tempted to be sick tomorrow, for the first time in like 6 months I'm a little bit behind at work though so I don't think I can afford it.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 5, 2023

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Votann keep it on the down low but the "ancestor spirits" they worship are actually AI that order every aspect of society down to decanting every human out of gene vats. The squats don't have mutations or psykers but their entire society is run by AI, whom all the humans worship. They're clearly a holdover from the AI wars in the forgotten depths of humanity's past, and they're on the wrong side as far as the mechanicum is concerned.

The Votann went some lengths to keep their existence hidden from the Imperium. They've posed as aliens or isolated abhumans, but mostly they just hid in the galactic core where the Imperium assumed no humans could survive. Presumably they'd been hiding in there, isolated from the collapse of the dark age, since well before the age of the Imperium, and it's only the great rift that has caused them to migrate into contact with the outside galaxy.

In their own way the Votann are also stagnant though, as their ruling AIs are now so old they're senile and quiescent, and they can't make more of them. They're a society that can't think for or lead themselves, or change, since all that has been edited out of their genes. They are totally devoted to a machine way of life: exploit, consume, fulfill the purpose of your gene template. Of course no doubt there are interesting characters but they'd be iconoclast and vagabonds.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

Votann keep it on the down low but the "ancestor spirits" they worship are actually AI that order every aspect of society down to decanting every human out of gene vats. The squats don't have mutations or psykers but their entire society is run by AI, whom all the humans worship. They're clearly a holdover from the AI wars in the forgotten depths of humanity's past, and they're on the wrong side as far as the mechanicum is concerned.

The Votann went some lengths to keep their existence hidden from the Imperium. They've posed as aliens or isolated abhumans, but mostly they just hid in the galactic core where the Imperium assumed no humans could survive. Presumably they'd been hiding in there, isolated from the collapse of the dark age, since well before the age of the Imperium, and it's only the great rift that has caused them to migrate into contact with the outside galaxy.

In their own way the Votann are also stagnant though, as their ruling AIs are now so old they're senile and quiescent, and they can't make more of them. They're a society that can't think for or lead themselves, or change, since all that has been edited out of their genes. They are totally devoted to a machine way of life: exploit, consume, fulfill the purpose of your gene template. Of course no doubt there are interesting characters but they'd be iconoclast and vagabonds.

Also apparently they've been just chilling on Necromunda, one of the most important and largest hive cities in the imperium, all this time without anyone really raising an eyebrow.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I believed the line now is that the votann are entirely seperate from squats. The squats of old still existed and still got owned but the votann are their own thing somewhere else. I guess?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Votann is a specific nation of Squats. There may be non-Votann squats, but the Votanns are definately squats.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I thought it was the other way around

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
can't believe GW managed to gently caress up Space Dwarfs by making it needlessly complicated

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Ah, I was taking precarious to be 'weak to damage'. That makes sense and we got some interesting lore dumps, thanks y'all!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

pentyne posted:

can't believe GW managed to gently caress up Space Dwarfs by making it needlessly complicated

No complexity is too great to make sure GW don't get copyright issues

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

So what I'm hearing is the votann are the irken from invader Zim

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Meanwhile, another post, explaining things about the game's co-op:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2186680/view/3905246507039783842

A pertinent bit of information:

quote:

If you wish to join a game, enter the lobby by clicking the “Cooperative mode” button in the main menu, selecting the same server (EU, US, etc.) in the list above as the host, and then proceed to input the server ID given to you by the host. Alternatively, simply use the Steam (or other store) overlay to accept an invitation sent by your friend.

It is possible to use the server ID to play between different stores (but not between PC and Mac at the moment). In future, we plan to bring the co-op mode to consoles and add crossplay between platforms - we’ll announce this feature separately.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
GW has the classic issue with broad IPs.

It's probably in their interest to make most stuff nebulous and ill defined and mysterious. Meanwhile, your fan base is absolutely livid if there isn't Encyclopedia Britannica level detail about every single aspect of every single one of the 16 million planets and umpteen quintillion living beings that have ever existed in the setting.

GW does all of this on hard mode because they flat out stole a ton of stuff from other intellectual properties and feel the need to retroactively distinguish everything to have an independent copyright. Games workshop currently sells a model for a character that originated from them literally tracing a Sylvester Stallone movie poster.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Its disappointing they lock the full 6 player co op behind multiple hours of game play, same for custom characters. I understand from a story/combat balance perspective but its going to be a big ask for 3 (Or 2? I'm not clear) to wait for a few hours watching everyone else have fun.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

GW has the classic issue with broad IPs.

GW does all of this on hard mode because they flat out stole a ton of stuff from other intellectual properties and feel the need to retroactively distinguish everything to have an independent copyright. Games workshop currently sells a model for a character that originated from them literally tracing a Sylvester Stallone movie poster.

At least they stole so much stuff they can put it in a blender. Tolkien dwarves and the butlerian jihad are copyright, but "what if Tolkien dwarfs were the bad guys from the butlerian jihad" is certainly novel.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

evilmiera posted:

It's not QUITE impossible, since the T'au are experimenting with warp technologies in the Startide Nexus, just very very unlikely. One could have been flung there as part of the 4th Sphere of Expansion, by mistake. The bigger issue would probably be "What are they even doing there that's interesting?" because they wouldn't have any real connection to their empire as a whole. Maybe finding more survivors?

Edit:^ Huh, and there's that too I guess.

I'm going to note here that the 4th Sphere Expansion is still quite close to the rest of the Empire in galactic terms, being basically directly north on the opposite side of the Maledictum - which still puts it on the opposite side of the galaxy from Calixis. And while maybe one ship somehow theoretically gets flung all the way there instead, that basically passes them near/through the Eye of Terror, which I REALLY don't see going well even if they survive. And given how the rest of the 4th Sphere Tau turned out from their own voyage, I don't see a far longer one through even worse horrors somehow turning out better.

Long and short of it, maybe you do all this, but then you probably end up with an event about encountering an unknown ship type with bugfuck insane blue aliens onboard rather than any sort of recruitable NPC.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Kroot are more likely and frankly cooler in every way.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Carcer posted:

Kroot are more likely and frankly cooler in every way.

a Kroot ally would be amazing, because their whole gimmick is eating people and getting stronger.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lord Koth posted:

I'm going to note here that the 4th Sphere Expansion is still quite close to the rest of the Empire in galactic terms, being basically directly north on the opposite side of the Maledictum - which still puts it on the opposite side of the galaxy from Calixis. And while maybe one ship somehow theoretically gets flung all the way there instead, that basically passes them near/through the Eye of Terror, which I REALLY don't see going well even if they survive. And given how the rest of the 4th Sphere Tau turned out from their own voyage, I don't see a far longer one through even worse horrors somehow turning out better.

Long and short of it, maybe you do all this, but then you probably end up with an event about encountering an unknown ship type with bugfuck insane blue aliens onboard rather than any sort of recruitable NPC.

I think the biggest question re: travel between Koronus and the galactic East is whether or not we have any mention that the Margin Crusade is still ongoing- if it is, then the ancient gate is still open and there is a chance for xenos from that side to come over (hell, the RPG supplement that introduces the Tau even has an a mini-adventure about why they're in Koronus) along with their mecha :syoon: Between the Orks, Kroot and Tau Owlcat would be leaving money on the table if they don't introduce more aliens for the Trader's crew.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Lord Koth posted:

Can't the Tau just end up on Calixis/Koronus by exiting from their side of the galaxy and coming back the other like Pac-Man? Kinda feel that should be possible and sensical in 40K lore.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

ZearothK posted:

Can't the Tau just end up on Calixis/Koronus by exiting from their side of the galaxy and coming back the other like Pac-Man? Kinda feel that should be possible and sensical in 40K lore.

They run into a lot of tyranids, shitloads of orcs, or the like, Space Sharks (Carcharodons ftw)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

At least they stole so much stuff they can put it in a blender. Tolkien dwarves and the butlerian jihad are copyright, but "what if Tolkien dwarfs were the bad guys from the butlerian jihad" is certainly novel.

My favorite is the Eldar. Tolkien elves + Asimov's psychohistory + samurai + the Japanese conception of mastery of craft. If you throw enough inspiration into something it ends up pretty original.

And then the exodites are all that and they ride dinosaurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Traditionally a lot of those dangling plot threads are added into the various army book editions as a way for players to freely create interesting scenarios and not have some lore nerd insisting it is impossible because of X

The 2 missing primarchs were originally just intended to allow players to make homebrew Space Marines and just say they were descended from one of those 2, all the tip toeing around the subject that's been going on in the novels has people constantly speculating and theorycrafting but the entire point is they don't exist just to encourage tabletop army creation.