Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

trevorreznik posted:

It seems like a rehash with less original effort and a lot more talking. It still could be incredible

Yeah George Miller hasn't let me down yet. I don't think I'd mind more talking. I mean Max isn't in this and the few words thing is more his style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I’m more concerned by many of those shots kind of looking like poo poo but I also kind of liked his genie movie so we’ll see

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Apparently the process of making Fury Road was a hideous experience for all involved and everybody hated making it.

Which makes sense why we have a re-cast Furiosa, but ATJ doesn't even vaguely resemble Charlize Theron. Also, Charlize Theron looked like a straight-up badass, but AJT isn't...giving me the same gravitas.

I'm gonna see it, I hope it's going to be amazing, but the CG shots (specifically the bike going under the truck and her clinging underneath it) also left me feeling a bit cold.

Still keen, still excited, but...lowering my expectations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Fury Road only interested me because the the trailer sent the message (and the final film delivered on it): "incredibly cool action movie!!!" which I'm not really getting from this trailer but I'm gonna give old George the benefit of the doubt of course.
I just like, couldn't care less about this world. I was in on Fury Road because it was an incredible and stylish action film and if this isn't gonna just be that (i.e. "Fury Road 2") then :shrug:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Did he really put Helmsworth in a red cape?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Fury Road's visuals were pretty unique and that was a big part of the appeal. Based on the trailer I worry that Furiosa isn't going to mix things up enough to have that same visual impact. We've seen a lot of the stuff in the trailer before.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
has anybody seen Silent Night yet? I'll see it later this weekend, but seems very polarizing so far

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

i hate prequels on principle and despite my massive love for fury road i am unmoved. you already told us everything we needed to know about furiosa in fury road. we don't need any more and all this does is pile extra stuff on an already perfect story. and no matter how good the director is, they can never ever resist unneeded foreshadowing to the already existing movie, and tons of little references to it that make marvel fans clap like seals.

i mean gently caress the movie ends in a way that in no way precludes a dope movie about furiosa taking over from immortan joe and in the world of mad max its not like they would have to wrack their brains to figure out a conflict for her to have to resolve.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i hate prequels on principle and despite my massive love for fury road i am unmoved. you already told us everything we needed to know about furiosa in fury road. we don't need any more and all this does is pile extra stuff on an already perfect story. and no matter how good the director is, they can never ever resist unneeded foreshadowing to the already existing movie, and tons of little references to it that make marvel fans clap like seals.

i mean gently caress the movie ends in a way that in no way precludes a dope movie about furiosa taking over from immortan joe and in the world of mad max its not like they would have to wrack their brains to figure out a conflict for her to have to resolve.

My hope is that, given the legendary sorta context of each movie's story after the first one (only the original Mad Max is 100% canon, the next four movies are tales being told around the post-apocalyptic campfire where the stuff we see generally did happen but...), they just say gently caress it and do whatever poo poo they want story-wise instead of having it dovetail with Fury Road.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

This too though, I wish they got Charlize Theron back because Fury Road ends with quite the upheaval to all the factions after a huge battle, like you say it'd be easy to have whatever type of conflict you want for the story.

If only they got both they could do The Godfather Part II but about Furiosa lol

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I don't like when prequels do all the sly callbacks to stuff in the future but I admit if they didn't do any I'd be muttering "well I kinda wanted some..."

The actual annoying thing is when they need to explain everything, like all the poo poo they did in Solo, or this from the Trailer thread:

The Peccadillo posted:

I always wondered where he got that. Mad Max 6: Where the gently caress did the feral kid get that cool weapon

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Neo Rasa posted:

My hope is that, given the legendary sorta context of each movie's story after the first one (only the original Mad Max is 100% canon, the next four movies are tales being told around the post-apocalyptic campfire where the stuff we see generally did happen but...), they just say gently caress it and do whatever poo poo they want story-wise instead of having it dovetail with Fury Road.

Furiosa doing an Inglorious Basterds on Joe, People Eater and Bullet Farmer (from the Bullet Farm)

grobbo
May 29, 2014
The real red flag with the Furiosa trailer is that they've got Chris Hemsworth doing some kind of Caesar's Legion classical re-enactment, but that this is apparently limited to a white cape and a chariot.

Did you not want to give him a laurel wreath of bullets, lads, or a entourage of little freaks in togas, or a truck with an elephant skull hanging from it?

Are we doing things by halves now? In our Mad Max, we're going for a grounded costume design? That's what we're doing? That's the choice we've made?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

grobbo posted:

The real red flag with the Furiosa trailer is that they've got Chris Hemsworth doing some kind of Caesar's Legion classical re-enactment, but that this is apparently limited to a white cape and a chariot.

Did you not want to give him a laurel wreath of bullets, lads, or a entourage of little freaks in togas, or a truck with an elephant skull hanging from it?

Are we doing things by halves now? In our Mad Max, we're going for a grounded costume design? That's what we're doing? That's the choice we've made?

Bethesda era Fallout won :(

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

grobbo posted:

I think this is the thing.

In Fury Road there was usually always something that made you go: "PHWOAH!" or "COOOL!"

And in the trailer...eh?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

This guy has usually good taste for action movies and has good international recommendations. https://letterboxd.com/headexposure/list/2023-action-films/

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Ulio posted:

This guy has usually good taste for action movies and has good international recommendations. https://letterboxd.com/headexposure/list/2023-action-films/

Nice list but I can't even find half of them on justwatch to find on streaming. Grrr.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Not really an action film but I saw Van Hellsing with my partner and found it pretty cool (even if I got a bit sleepy during the middle). Surprisingly stylish and charmingly cheesy. Did Jackman ever do strict action films or were they always adjacent to fantasy/sci-fi (I know he's more of a theater kid that got boxed in due to getting a huge break as Wolverine in X-Men)? The Logan movie's probably the grittiest I've seen of him. I remember he was in Chappie too lol.

Thinking of rewatching Real Steel (sports, not action, but close enough) or watching The Prestige (I heard it was generally a good film) soon.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Real Steel is great! Which surprised the hell out of me.

e: I think because it commits so hard, and really explores the whole conceit of Robot UFC. And Hugh Jackman is such a great poo poo in the movie too.

e2: also the kid doesn't suck. that was key. also, cowboy robot fighting at the rodeo.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
He did swordfish which was not great. Can't think of any other action films he did though

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Lily Catts posted:

watching The Prestige (I heard it was generally a good film) soon.

The Prestige was just wild, for me. When I finished it, I recognized that I had just seen an incredibly well made film, but I despised Bale and Jackman's character(s) and never wanted to watch it again.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I watched The Outlaws, Roundup and Roundup No Way Out over the last few days (also, the cop, the gangster and the devil). all of them star Ma Dong-Seok and the boxing choreography just kept getting better and better. They're a lot of fun and well worth viewing. I should go watch Creed 1-3 now and see how they compare.

I also watched Ek Tha Tiger and it was a huge letdown to see how the YRF spy universe 'began.' Salman Khan has nothing on SRK, John Abraham, Tiger Shroff or Hrithik Roshan.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
A great run of films! I can recommend the Korean series Bloodhounds for some more fun boxing action

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
God drat the new Godzilla movie is good. I don't want to say too much but it managed to do a great job balancing drama and monster action.

Also funny that a few of the main characters are from the Kenshin films.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

null_pointer posted:

The Prestige was just wild, for me. When I finished it, I recognized that I had just seen an incredibly well made film, but I despised Bale and Jackman's character(s) and never wanted to watch it again.

The Prestige and The Banshees of Inisherin make for a hell of a feel bad double feature.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

trevorreznik posted:

Nice list but I can't even find half of them on justwatch to find on streaming. Grrr.

Ya that's the problem with a lot of these international list. It's literally movies that have been shown in some obscure festival somewhere.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

trevorreznik posted:

I watched The Outlaws, Roundup and Roundup No Way Out over the last few days (also, the cop, the gangster and the devil). all of them star Ma Dong-Seok and the boxing choreography just kept getting better and better. They're a lot of fun and well worth viewing. I should go watch Creed 1-3 now and see how they compare.

I also watched Ek Tha Tiger and it was a huge letdown to see how the YRF spy universe 'began.' Salman Khan has nothing on SRK, John Abraham, Tiger Shroff or Hrithik Roshan.

Is The Roundup No Way Out on streaming yet?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

B-Rock452 posted:

Is The Roundup No Way Out on streaming yet?

Not that I could find, but it's available online.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
So is Silent Night good or not? I've gotten mixed signals on this but I'm assuming it's probably decent enough for a fun moviepass night

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Somehow I missed Fast X when it came out and caught up today on a long flight. It's... ok. I like that the story was basically just "you killed my father prepare to die" which I thought might give them an excuse to ground things a little but somehow we still ended up with nuclear subs breaking through the ice cap and jet kayaks.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

So is Silent Night good or not? I've gotten mixed signals on this but I'm assuming it's probably decent enough for a fun moviepass night
I liked it, it was fun. It's no Citizen Kane but I found it pretty entertaining in the way I expected a movie like this to be. YMMV of course, but worth a shot imo, it's not a steaming pile of poo poo.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thinking about decent xmas set action movies and I'm sure I've missed a bunch:
* Lethal Weapon
* Die Hards
* Violent Night
* Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (ok not really action)
* The Long Kiss Goodnight (criminally underrated)
* The Last Boy Scout

Shane Black really has a hard on for christmas.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Rare Exports should probably count if those Shane Black ones do. And arguably Gremlins

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Not the right thread for it, but The Long Kiss Goodnight is probably the one that I've been wishing for a UHD release the most. Plenty of excellent 90s explosions in that movie.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Chas McGill posted:

Thinking about decent xmas set action movies and I'm sure I've missed a bunch:
* Lethal Weapon
* Die Hards
* Violent Night
* Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (ok not really action)
* The Long Kiss Goodnight (criminally underrated)
* The Last Boy Scout

Shane Black really has a hard on for christmas.

I learned this year that first blood is now also a Christmas film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

trevorreznik posted:

Rare Exports should probably count if those Shane Black ones do. And arguably Gremlins

Rare exports is not an action film. Nothing really happens in it

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Christmas bloody Christmas
Fatman

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

decent

* Violent Night

:hmmno:

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Rocky IV is set during Christmas, and that's enough for me to watch it.
Batman Returns is dripping in holiday style.
Gremlins is also a sweet Xmas watch.

midge fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 24, 2023

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Put on expend4bles on amazon and dear lord, five mins I could tell it was bad. This looks awful, and cheap. Where did the budget went? Even Megan Fox face has a cheap smoothing filter on her face that makes it bloom and look smooth like a bad br transfer

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Action Movies: Where did the budget went?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
here's my top five action movies of 2023.

John Wick 4
Extraction 2
Fight Against Evil 2
Lamb Game
Fierce Cop

The last three are Chinese direct to streaming flicks. There are literally hundreds of these, many of them available in youtube, but the overwhelming majority of them are trash. Those ones are pretty good.