Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

stev posted:

Nah Succession season 1 is just as good if not better than the rest. If you don't like it then you never will.

:shrug: Guess I just think it sucks then.

e what a lovely snipe. On this day in 1901 famous weirdo antisemite Walt Disney was born.

Miftan fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Dec 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Miftan posted:

:shrug: Guess I just think it sucks then.

e what a lovely snipe. On this day in 1901 famous weirdo antisemite Walt Disney was born.

Someone gave me Bob Igers autobiography to read a while back and it explains a great deal about how Disney has managed to gobble up and gently caress up so many media properties. It’s just eye wateringly dull. A corporate drone micromanaging the poo poo out of what should be a place of amazing fun and creativity

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

DreddyMatt posted:

UK is such a backwards country. 50k isn't even that much money. In comparison to the average cost of houses and cars and cost of living, you're comfortable, but certainly not rich.

This is something that's widely out of sync with popular perceptions in Britain, with the cost of things I have less at the end of the month as a relative high-earner (somewhere around the, uhh, high 80s in that percentile chart) than I did in eastern europe, albeit in one of the richer bits of it.

There's still a lot to like about living in Britain but making fat stacks of money ain't it if you're coming from most parts of the EU.

e: And I mean less at the end of the month in absolute terms, not adjusted for cost of living.

As for reasons why I moved to Britain, it was actually years before I worked in eastern europe, I went back for a bit but didn't really feel like I fit in that well. Also Britain is much less sexist and racist and for all the stereotypes people are generally much more pleasant. Some things tend to be done more properly too, although that definitely does not extend to housing.

e2: I actually ended up saving money for an emergency fund while working in eastern europe, in order to live more comfortably in the UK, which is pretty funny all things considered. Probably helps explain why the EU immigration graph looks the way it does.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Dec 5, 2023

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Miftan posted:

You're right. It's real boring. Just like Breaking Bad which is also really boring.

I've been told both shows get good at/after season 2, but that's an unreasonable amount of time to put into something that's really bad waiting for it to get good.

Man, Breaking Bad is such overhyped nonsense. And yes, anything where "it gets better after X seasons" is something I won't bother with. I'm looking at you Seinfeld. Whoever told Jerry he should wrench 5+ minutes of the worlds least interesting observational comedy into every 20 minute episode killed it.

Show I really enjoyed lately was Avenue 5, the Iannucci sci-fi comedy. It was exceptionally stupid, but very amusing with it. We're on the maiden Voyage of a luxury space cruise ship spending 8 weeks visiting the plants only for things to go badly wrong. Sadly got cancelled after 2 seasons but I still found it very funny. I may have been one of the few though.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Man, Breaking Bad is such overhyped nonsense. And yes, anything where "it gets better after X seasons" is something I won't bother with. I'm looking at you Seinfeld. Whoever told Jerry he should wrench 5+ minutes of the worlds least interesting observational comedy into every 20 minute episode killed it.

Show I really enjoyed lately was Avenue 5, the Iannucci sci-fi comedy. It was exceptionally stupid, but very amusing with it. We're on the maiden Voyage of a luxury space cruise ship spending 8 weeks visiting the plants only for things to go badly wrong. Sadly got cancelled after 2 seasons but I still found it very funny. I may have been one of the few though.

It really depends imo. If it's an 8 episode, 20 minute episode sitcom where it gets really good at season 2 and season 1 is just fine, I might suffer through it. But 10 hours actually boring content? Nah.

I haven't watched Avenue 5, but it is on my list. I really enjoyed the first season of Black Monday recently which might be up your street despite the lack of japanese wrestling.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Good old Jezza. This is like a Spot the Ball competition to find how many different ways it will enrage the Daily Mail.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

forkboy84 posted:

Whoever told Jerry he should wrench 5+ minutes of the worlds least interesting observational comedy into every 20 minute episode killed it.

Thing with Seinfeld is you have to judge it based on it's time.
"What's the deal with airplane food?" Is clichéd poo poo as gently caress now. But in the early 90s a fresh(ish) new take

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Breaking bad was good but on rewatching the story meanders a lot and there is tons of filler.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Avenue 5 was great, the main cast really nailed the straight-faced absurdity of everything.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
People keep saying stuff like "50k, 80k,100k, whatever, isn't a lot of money" and every time my mind boggles. Maybe in London, sure, but seriously I'm on 36k (for now, thanks short term academic contracts) and as far as I can tell that's a very loving good salary and there are lots of people on significantly less, though I do live in one of the more impoverished and cheaper UK cities. I don't even know how you'd begin to live if you were single with kids on close to minimum wage.

I mean yes, I know that in reality it's not a lot of money and that the actual rich rich would probably spend more than that on a weekend break, but if we're just talking relative to the average amongst the general population it is.

keep punching joe posted:

Breaking bad was good but on rewatching the story meanders a lot and there is tons of filler.

I liked a lot of breaking bad. The first season was good. I got insanely bored once they started working for the chicken guy though. Apparently that's when a lot of people think it gets good so :shrug:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

smellmycheese posted:

Good old Jezza. This is like a Spot the Ball competition to find how many different ways it will enrage the Daily Mail.

Why the gently caress is he promoting that letting agent? Disgusting behaviour.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Who wants to see photo evidence of what a massive Breaking Bad nerd I was?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Feel like this is true of a lot of US shows tbh.

Rappaport posted:

Avenue 5 was great, the main cast really nailed the straight-faced absurdity of everything.

Josh Gad in particular was absolutely phenomenal. Like the role as written is absolutely absurd, Elon Musk but somehow stupider & greedier, but he plays it just right. And Daisy May Cooper, especially in the 2nd season as the sister of the character she played in season 1..

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
A lot of money is pretty relative to what you're used to. When I was on minimum wage after leaving school 20k was a pipe dream. Now 30k to me feels... just enough to not have to worry about being destitute but also not enough to deal with poo poo that comes up. To me 50k seems like scrooge mcduck money.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Why the gently caress is he promoting that letting agent? Disgusting behaviour.

Because it's next door to his son's CBD shop.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Yeah I don't even know what I'd do with all that money if I was on 36k. I guess get takeout more often?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Live alone in a rented 1 bed flat and having takeouts just about does it, yeah.

Well actually 36k is a bit low for that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This is the problem with all these shows, they want to tell essentially a single, unbroken story spread over many overlong episodes, so most of it just becomes this bland paste like a really high budget soap opera.

I gave up on them entirely after Breaking Bad, everything I watch now is episodic. Like they can have an overarching story, but having each episode fundamentally stand up on the strength of an individual premise is just so, so much better.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Nicholas Cage has said he wants to leave movie acting and move into TV so he can spend an hour making faces at luggage, and it's all thanks to Breaking Bad so for that reason I think we should be kinder to it.

quote:

“I have seen things that can be done now with characters and the time they’re given to express themselves. I saw Bryan Cranston stare at a suitcase for an hour on one episode of Breaking Bad. We don’t have time to do that in a feature film, so maybe television is the next best step for me.”

The Wire is the show that will stand the test of time, though, which you can see in the fact that nobody has a drat clue how to replicate it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Breaking Bad remains in my top 10 TV shows ever. It's just ridiculously entertaining.

Avenue 5 was enjoyable enough but I didn't make it to the end of season 1.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Miftan posted:

Yeah I don't even know what I'd do with all that money if I was on 36k. I guess get takeout more often?

Personally I've been cultivating a gambling addiction and substance abuse problems so that helps

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Private Speech posted:

Live alone in a rented 1 bed flat and having takeouts just about does it, yeah.

Well actually 36k is a bit low for that.

Depends where you live, I suppose. I wouldn't go back to London for anything just because of the price of everything.

ThomasPaine posted:

Personally I've been cultivating a gambling addiction and substance abuse problems so that helps

If you want to just send the gambling money my way, I can give you fake odds and an occasional FREE BET or something? Can't help with the substance abuse but maybe consider looking at Mind

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Funny story about the National Hemp Service. An ex friend of mine who was a failson of rich parents was a silent investor in that company when it started. He invested 1/3rd of the startup capital iirc (too lazy to check Company House records). As soon as the company started getting in the papers, the investor then teamed up with a now deceased 'activist' who turned out to be nothing more than a grifting conman, and they both went to the papers claiming they were directors and/or actively involved in the company.

Tommy obviously publicly corrected the record which resulted in my ex friend setting his expensive London litigation lawyers on him, which essentially bankrupted the company. But Tommy pulled a masterstroke and re-named the company to NSHR20 LIMITED, let it slide into bankruptcy and then set up a new company called National Hemp Service without my cancerous ex-friend being involved. The conman that my ex-friend teamed up with (whose cash it probably was in the first place) then went to the Daily Mail to sell his story just before the 2019 election. I think he got £20k for that, but the cost of the original investment (£30k) and the lawyers fees greatly outweighed that.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 5, 2023

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The Sopranos is good in that it balances telling a larger story while having every episode feel like it's own self contained movie.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

forkboy84 posted:

Feel like this is true of a lot of US shows tbh.

I'm convinced on the regular US shows get pitched as 2 seasons, then if the company likes it they might stretch it to 3. Then popularity of season 1 it gets stretched to 5 seasons.

It would explain for me why so many season 1s and often 2s are high quality and things always drop off in the middle after that. They lose focus as writers try and pad out the original concept.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Rappaport posted:

The topic of poo poo-head relatives and inheritance came up, and here we are.

Sorry I should have been clearer, this is not related to the thread alone, that's the one place I see the connection but this is only one of like five different places online that have been going on about it.

smellmycheese posted:

I don’t know if this helps but they are all supposed to be grotesque caricatures of Murdoch and his children. They are all intended to be revolting and dislikeable in different ways. It’s not a show where you are supposed to be rooting for someone. They are all terrible people that you are encouraged to laugh at for being cunts.

Honestly a nightmare for me to watch.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

I'm convinced on the regular US shows get pitched as 2 seasons, then if the company likes it they might stretch it to 3. Then popularity of season 1 it gets stretched to 5 seasons.

It would explain for me why so many season 1s and often 2s are high quality and things always drop off in the middle after that. They lose focus as writers try and pad out the original concept.

I think more often than not they just pitch 1 season and it's very noticeable.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lest we forget - Jerry Hall had a clause in her divorce from Rupert that NDAd her from talking to the producers of Succession

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Miftan posted:

It’s worse than that - they pitch the pilot and that’s why you end up with so many shows piling far too much into the opening episode and then desperately backfilling

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

grobbo posted:

Nicholas Cage has said he wants to leave movie acting and move into TV so he can spend an hour making faces at luggage

Had a good chuckle Imagining making this face at some luggage

Or maybe it's Luggage, and he's gonna be Rincewind in a Discworld TV series

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

smellmycheese posted:

It’s worse than that - they pitch the pilot and that’s why you end up with so many shows piling far too much into the opening episode and then desperately backfilling

The Sopranos is a good example of this. They made it assuming they weren't going to get a whole series so they wrote it to work as a standalone TV movie.

Then when they got picked up they had to find ways around the fact that Tony appears to be the boss in the first episode. So they said he was actually just a capo but happened to live in a mansion for reasons.

And they pulled back from the pilot being essentially a more comedic Goodfellas ripoff.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Mega Comrade posted:

I am 100% convinced to this day that House of Cards was initially conceived of as 4 seasons of 13 episodes (for a total of 52 cards). I have no evidence for this other than that it feels too clever for it not to have been someone's idea first. The first two 13 episode seasons were good quality, season 2 a bit less so than season 1, but season 3 really seemed to be where the rot set in, they'd decided they were going to milk it for as long as it could possibly last. poo poo in season 3 started getting so strung out with filler I half expected the president to spend four episodes charging a spirit bomb.

Thinking back I think House of Cards and Orange is the New Black descending into meaningless boring filler were the things that really killed my interest in serialised television. Just give me episodic content, or a one-season mini-series, I do not have the interest in some seven season epic that will descend into trash before it's done.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I stopped watching Breaking Bad after they met the dude who managed the restaurant, and he bought them nice beakers and pots and pans and poo poo.

Then I watched the ending of the last episode on YouTube.

I feel I understand all I need to about Breaking Bad.

I did the same with The Sopranos, they chucked the dude off the back of the boat, got bored, watched the ending on YouTube.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
British TV seems to suffer from this much less. Atleast when it comes to BBC and Channel 4, 2 seasons and done, even for hugely popular shows is common.

Miftan posted:

People usually end up spending a little bit more on a lot of things so it doesn't feel like their quality of life has improved all that much.

Personally I spent my 20s living paycheque to paycheque and then my 30s living on a salary I wouldn't have even dreamed of before. The main actual difference to me though was peace of mind, I have a safety net of savings if the worst happens.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Dec 5, 2023

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Miftan posted:

You shouldn't be allowed to make a serialised TV show if you don't at least show you have a plan for the ending. Because then you get Lost.

Of course they would require that broadcasters are willing to get behind project for the duration, even when it doesn't take off & we know that's not happening because capitalism.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

grobbo posted:

The Wire is the show that will stand the test of time, though, which you can see in the fact that nobody has a drat clue how to replicate it.

Even David Simon can't replicate it, though Generation Kill is a really good mini series and Treme was great as long as you're happy just to watch it as a story about people just living their lives where random poo poo happens and there is no real story.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Robocop was on ITV4 last night and good lord does it feel tight, to the point of insanely rushed, compared to how that kind of thing.would be produced now. It would be the final episode of season 1 before Murphy even gets shot to bits by the bad guys.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Rappaport posted:

I didn't like Avenue 5, but I accept that it was for a pretty dumb reason.

Before I watched the show I was told "it's got an amazing twist in it."

And so when I watched it, I had that in the back of my mind.
I watched the first episode and they reveal that Captain Hugh Laurie is an actor and the real captain dies in an accident.

But to me, this happened so early and was so obvious that I convinced myself this couldn't be the twist.
So I watch the show looking for some new twist. One that is being subtly laid the foundations of in the background but explains the show.

And what I settled on (and don't ask me how I came up withi this, but this was what I thought.) was I thought all the main characters were people in a mental health facility who had started doing some innocent role-playing exercise involving a ship. But that they all became too invested in the scenario and more and more people kept getting pulled into the exercise, and the staff are themselves going mad trying to keep this daft exercise going as everyone is too invested in what was supposed to be a short project.

Sort of like a commentary on Brexit, a silly idea that has gotten wildly out of hand.

And then, when I got to the end of the first season, I realized I was wrong. I had missed the actual twist and just built a better show in my head. Kind of killed my enjoyment of it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

Robocop was on ITV4 last night and good lord does it feel tight, to the point of insanely rushed, compared to how that kind of thing.would be produced now. It would be the final episode of season 1 before Murphy even gets shot to bits by the bad guys.

Well, it is a movie

(I mean I know there was a tv show but I assume they're not re-airing that?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Failed Imagineer posted:

Well, it is a movie

(I mean I know there was a tv show but I assume they're not re-airing that?)

Well yes, and a product of its time. But the pace of it, now we are used to episodic big budget TV , is insane. Not necessarily a bad thing. Basically a line of crazy Dutch director cocaine right up the cinematic nostril