Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dead Goon posted:

I stopped watching Breaking Bad after they met the dude who managed the restaurant, and he bought them nice beakers and pots and pans and poo poo.

Then I watched the ending of the last episode on YouTube.

I feel I understand all I need to about Breaking Bad.

I did the same with The Sopranos, they chucked the dude off the back of the boat, got bored, watched the ending on YouTube.

At least go back and watch Pine Barrens, which is generally regarded one of the finest single episodes of a TV show. It's hilarious, & fantastically directed.

Honestly don't think The Sopranos works with just watching the ending. But then I love it & never got bored of it so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The Question IRL posted:

I didn't like Avenue 5, but I accept that it was for a pretty dumb reason.

Before I watched the show I was told "it's got an amazing twist in it."

And so when I watched it, I had that in the back of my mind.
I watched the first episode and they reveal that Captain Hugh Laurie is an actor and the real captain dies in an accident.

But to me, this happened so early and was so obvious that I convinced myself this couldn't be the twist.
So I watch the show looking for some new twist. One that is being subtly laid the foundations of in the background but explains the show.

And what I settled on (and don't ask me how I came up withi this, but this was what I thought.) was I thought all the main characters were people in a mental health facility who had started doing some innocent role-playing exercise involving a ship. But that they all became too invested in the scenario and more and more people kept getting pulled into the exercise, and the staff are themselves going mad trying to keep this daft exercise going as everyone is too invested in what was supposed to be a short project.

Sort of like a commentary on Brexit, a silly idea that has gotten wildly out of hand.

And then, when I got to the end of the first season, I realized I was wrong. I had missed the actual twist and just built a better show in my head. Kind of killed my enjoyment of it.

I'm going to be honest with you The Question IRL, I'm not sure that that is actually a better show than what we got. But yes, it's unfortunate you were told about this amazing twist because it's less about the twist, which isn't really a twist & couldn't be, because the show is more about the tension between the secret & them trying to keep it a secret. And also the grotesque absurdity of the ultrawealthy.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Good Place did a great job too, it's an ongoing story but each episode has its own premise, as does each season, so they all have a pretty distinct feel.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i consume passable content.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You'd be contentstipated if you didn't.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm really happy to see that Farage is experiencing Hancock levels of success
https://twitter.com/jacksurfleet/status/1731804327096832021

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

British TV seems to suffer from this much less. Atleast when it comes to BBC and Channel 4, 2 seasons and done, even for hugely popular shows is common.

People usually end up spending a little bit more on a lot of things so it doesn't feel like their quality of life has improved all that much.

Personally I spent my 20s living paycheque to paycheque and then my 30s living on a salary I wouldn't have even dreamed of before. The main actual difference to me though was peace of mind, I have a safety net of savings if the worst happens.

I'm pretty much the same, and the bolded is by far the biggest difference it has made to my life. It also makes it easier to move to other jobs since you have some saved and consequently (I think at least) employers are less able to treat you like poo poo.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

fuctifino posted:

I'm really happy to see that Farage is experiencing Hancock levels of success
https://twitter.com/jacksurfleet/status/1731804327096832021

I’ve been watching the show and all it has done is spotlight the fundamental genius of Farage’s brand of conservatism. He’s come across as the jolly, affable man down the pub with a pint of bitter in his hand , as opposed to the insane shrieking weirdos who make up the majority of the Tory party. The idea that he was going to go in there and become a hate figure for his monstrous views was laughable.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

What I’m saying is - Ant and Dec will ultimately be remembered for ushering in 20 years of BritFash under PM Nigel Farage

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Ozark is my favourite of those Crime Dramas and it's not even close. Just fantastic from the start. Though deeply oppressive, every episode is a fifty-minute anxiety attack even if nothing seems to be happening.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

HopperUK posted:

Ozark is my favourite of those Crime Dramas and it's not even close. Just fantastic from the start. Though deeply oppressive, every episode is a fifty-minute anxiety attack even if nothing seems to be happening.

An undercooked Breaking Bad ripoff that tried to be edgy by dialling up the white balance to 7000. Rapidly descended into absurdity once the hillbilly granny hooked up with the redneck teen

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

smellmycheese posted:

An undercooked Breaking Bad ripoff that tried to be edgy by dialling up the white balance to 7000. Rapidly descended into absurdity once the hillbilly granny hooked up with the redneck teen

This isn't an empty quote

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The best American serial tv show was Spartacus.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

HopperUK posted:

I watched the first episode of Ozark about a decade ago and was too depressed to continue.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

notaspy posted:

This isn't an empty quote

Let’s not forget the guy who had his dick shot off by the granny subsequently just forgetting all about that by the next series and deciding they were friends lol

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Pablo Bluth posted:

The best American serial tv show was Spartacus.

That was new zealandish

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Rewatch the Young Ones
probably reflects modern Britain still

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Diet Crack posted:

Rewatch the Young Ones
probably reflects modern Britain still

They'd all be Tory landlords now

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Watch both The Wire & Breaking Bad once a year, The Wire wins every drat time.

I watched Boardwalk Empire once but even with some good acting it just didn't click at all.

My Xmas viewing this year will be Rome, seasons 1&2, RIP Ray Stevenson. :pressf:

---------

Was going through my spending for this year; heading for £6k spent overall (no mortgage on my house thank god).

My only income is Premium Bonds, for the next 14 years. :stonklol:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

That was new zealandish
Was it? I was too distracted by all the tits and cocks to notice.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Pablo Bluth posted:

Was it? I was too distracted by all the tits and cocks to notice.

That wasn't Spartacus, it was the house of commons.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I guess I only mentioned it recently but Mad Men owns, I'm only halfway through but I slept on it for way too long. Just a complete idiot bumbling his way to success because he's a tall white guy with a deep voice, it's hilarious and even more hilarious that goons started modelling themselves on Don Draper

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

forkboy84 posted:

I'm going to be honest with you The Question IRL, I'm not sure that that is actually a better show than what we got. But yes, it's unfortunate you were told about this amazing twist because it's less about the twist, which isn't really a twist & couldn't be, because the show is more about the tension between the secret & them trying to keep it a secret. And also the grotesque absurdity of the ultrawealthy.

Oh I fully accept it might not be an objectively better plot than the one they did. It's just an idea I came up with, and often we love those more than reality. (See the numerous examples of people coming up with fan theory's, and hating the shows because they never match up to what was in their own head.)

Also it was less I was spoiled on what "the twist" was, and that I was told bluntly "there is a twist" and just the knowledge it existed made my mind go off on its own crazy tangent.

smellmycheese posted:

And an ending that was built up and up and the creators swore this would be the final story.
And then it literally ends with nothing happening and in a perfect position to continue if they want 5-10 years down the line.

One thing I will say about Ozarks is the locations and filming are absolutely beautiful.
If you have a 4K subscription and can watch it on OLED it is worth it purely for that.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The Question IRL posted:

Oh I fully accept it might not be an objectively better plot than the one they did. It's just an idea I came up with, and often we love those more than reality. (See the numerous examples of people coming up with fan theory's, and hating the shows because they never match up to what was in their own head.)

Also it was less I was spoiled on what "the twist" was, and that I was told bluntly "there is a twist" and just the knowledge it existed made my mind go off on its own crazy tangent.

And an ending that was built up and up and the creators swore this would be the final story.
And then it literally ends with nothing happening and in a perfect position to continue if they want 5-10 years down the line.

One thing I will say about Ozarks is the locations and filming are absolutely beautiful.
If you have a 4K subscription and can watch it on OLED it is worth it purely for that.

The filming is poo poo. Cranking up the white balance achieves what exactly? The cold chilly world of, erm, Missouri ? It’s balls

Plus the fact it was all shot in Georgia for tax reasons lol. Really captured that Ozark vibe

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 5, 2023

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
God I hate this country, I am currently in the process of trying for the Fiance Visa for my partner, she is going for her Biometrics tomorrow, and I dont earn anything close to the £38.7k that they are increasing the requirement to... I am hoping that we will be grandfathered in under the current requirements but even if that goes through, what will it mean for the Spouse visa when we get married next year? Will being on the fiance visa keep those requirements too? Will I suddenly have to magic up another 20k of earnings?

I am so stressed out from this, its unreal. Getting to marry and live with my partner should not be a thing only granted to the financially privileged

FiftySeven fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 5, 2023

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Some immigration lawyer places will tell you the answers to some basic questions for free, hopefully like the ones you have above. If poo poo gets complicated they're definitely worth it if you can afford one. I wish I could have when I was in the process of settling here, and even then it was way easier than it is now

In my experience though yes they do grandfather stuff like that but with the current lot who knows

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Googling about will point you to some forums for help too. Sometimes people there can tell you, or at the very least be a place to vent. The process can be incredibly stressful and a lot of people here just assume it's all easy if everything is above board

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Use your right of free movement to escape this rotten borough and live in Ireland.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

That's honestly been a popular solution for a while, also similar for non-EU with other more permissive EU countries back when that was an option.

Quite seriously it might be the only option. It's not all that bad IMO, you can always move to the UK once you have the citizenship.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
I wish leaving was an option, but I am a small business owner and upending my life and moving really isnt on the cards... If the worst comes to worst, I will do what I have to do, but this whole thing is just horrifying. The Tories prove time and time again that they dont live in the real world, and setting the earnings requirements so high is just more proof of that. How many workers in the UK actually earn that sort of money? Do they understand or care that their policies are going to literally rip families apart? No. Of course they dont care. Cunts.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Private Speech posted:

That's honestly been a popular solution for a while, also similar for non-EU with other more permissive EU countries back when that was an option.

Quite seriously it might be the only option. It's not all that bad IMO, you can always move to the UK once you have the citizenship.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, lol.

But yeah, if you can find somewhere to live in Ireland it seems a lot better than the bleak fash landscape of Toryland these days. And having gone through visa stuff with my non-EU partner it's permissive and easy as hell here compared to most places

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I don't think the government even know any of the answers to all this poo poo, they're just making things up to appeal to the Reform UK crowd.

That doesn't help anyone when the wheels eventually fall off and they're stood there with their thumbs in their rear end with no answers to anything, but I don't think even any immigration lawyers have many concrete answers other than "hope the Supreme Court discovers that the whole thing was written on ricicles boxes and is legally invalid."

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

FiftySeven posted:

How many workers in the UK actually earn that sort of money? Do they understand or care that their policies are going to literally rip families apart? No. Of course they dont care. Cunts.

Seems to be set for the top 30% of earners, so uh, not that many.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Failed Imagineer posted:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, lol.

But yeah, if you can find somewhere to live in Ireland it seems a lot better than the bleak fash landscape of Toryland these days. And having gone through visa stuff with my non-EU partner it's permissive and easy as hell here compared to most places

Lol yeah tell me about it. To get a working visa for the UK about 12 years ago the form was about 50 pages, I gave up and paid a lawyer about £250 to do it for me. Took about a month

The working holiday form for Ireland was just over a page and took me 5 minutes to fill in myself. I had it granted in a few days

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

el dingo posted:

Lol yeah tell me about it. To get a working visa for the UK about 12 years ago the form was about 50 pages, I gave up and paid a lawyer about £250 to do it for me. Took about a month

The working holiday form for Ireland was just over a page and took me 5 minutes to fill in myself. I had it granted in a few days

I've managed to renew my Irish passport online and have it delivered to my house within 24 hours. Despite the usual generalised awfulness of bureaucracy, some specific parts can work extremely well

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I'm just renewing my Czech passport while visiting family over Christmas and while it's not as nice as that you can still get it done within 5 days or 24 hours for a small surcharge (normally it's free but takes up to 30 days).

You do have to do it in person since they take new biometrics, but it's still a world of difference from the UK system, which appears to be "pay a chunk of money and fill out a bunch of forms and then wait a few months".

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It’s foolish to watch American TV shows before the entire series has concluded IMO; most of them either get renewed until the quality plummets or cancelled very early on. And there’s so many shows now it’s rare to even be able to talk about a recent episode with colleagues or friends.

Wait until the whole thing is done and watch if it’s good as a whole.

(I am a hypocrite because I’ve already started watching Severance 🤷🏻)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

TACD posted:

Severance

Ah poo poo, now I can't get the theme out of my head. Another great bit of music, and a great season 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXoXnGw0irI

e: Which seems to be partially stolen/inspired from this theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isdblo17THs

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 5, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Guavanaut posted:

I don't think the government even know any of the answers to all this poo poo, they're just making things up to appeal to the Reform UK crowd.

I don't think it's just the reform crowd. "Immigration is too high" is a drum the media and politicians have been beating forever and has a lot of cross party support. Rwanda is an extreme solution but if you asked the average person on the street if we should lower immigration they would say yes.
They have been tricked into believing it's the cause of all our problems and will probably be a trick Starmer continues using because it's so politically valuable a tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The spouse visa earning requirements can surely be challenged under human rights law. Iirc it was challenged unsuccessfully when first introduced (right to a family life), but the earnings threshold was low so the court didn't want to intervene against government policy. Setting the requirement so high to exclude basically everyone except the top earners is ridiculous, and surely must be considered disproportionate.