Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

? Really? Huh. I never saw the Lost Mines until the late summer of that year, but I'm a toronto canadian, so that might have changed stuff. Also, I was a manitoba canadian in that year, so

Any number of things, but I can certainly imagine that the box set might not have been a priority to get a second printing like the PHB was.

That said, it's the best of the 5e adventures, and WOTC botched the hardback adaptation real bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Eastmabl posted:

Any number of things, but I can certainly imagine that the box set might not have been a priority to get a second printing like the PHB was.

That said, it's the best of the 5e adventures, and WOTC botched the hardback adaptation real bad.

Can you explain?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
There were some odd and unpopular changes to Phandelver and Below. https://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/50077/roleplaying-games/review-the-shattered-obelisk

quote:

The mind flayer’s name is Qunbraxel. He’s been here for weeks or possibly months (the adventure is unclear), accompanied by his grimlock servants. Unfortunately, the only hallway to the room where the shard is located is blocked by a regenerating magic item: No matter how much his grimlock servants hit it, it just regenerates.

Qunbraxel’s only idea? Have the grimlocks hit it some more.

The activation word to bypass the magic item can be found by reading the thoughts of a creature in the next room. Or Qunbraxel could walk across the hall and find it written down.

Qunbraxel has 19 Intelligence.

Alexander just released a GMing book which actually focuses on classic dungeon crawls - using map keys and so on - and this article mentions that part of his reason for doing so is that D&D no longer teaches this or acts as an example.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 24, 2023

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Eastmabl posted:

I'm relying on The Alexandrian a fair bit, and spoilers abound in the links:

https://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/50077/roleplaying-games/review-the-shattered-obelisk

https://thealexandrian.net/wordpress/50083/roleplaying-games/review-the-shattered-obelisk-part-2

TLDR:

1. WOTC adds additional adventure hooks that the Lost Mine that are so generic as to be detrimental.

2. In Lost Mine, WOTC chooses to foreshadow the "and below" with psionic goblins without any real consideration of how that muddles the regular goblins as foes.

3. WOTC marketed that players will learn the truth about obelisks in past adventures, but seemingly forgot to tell the authors that.

4. Meaningful choice eludes the players in the race to recover the shards, and the impact of obtaining shards is negligible.

5. The text of the dungeon doesn't match the maps provided... Assuming, of course, that WOTC bothered to key the maps at all.

Seemingly, it's a markedly worse adventure from the company that sold you Dragon Heist, an adventure with absolutely no heists unless you buy DMs Guild content to include heists.

This was my past take

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
PAX Unplugged looks like it may be getting one of the first public playtests of Starfinder 2E.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
https://twitter.com/GoodmanGames/status/1730349263387853233

In the real world, someone approved this panel and poster.

I can't read the comments because I refuse to use the app or log in anymore.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
That's a lot of generic white dudes. Couldn't find anyone who wasn't a 50something white guy, because no-one outside that demographic who plays RPGs or is making them. (Which is about what all the comments I skimmed also said.)

Like, it's 2023. You have to actively go out of your way to not notice how wildly diverse the RPG crowd is, which raises questions as to why it is the way it is. (It's racism, sexism, and myriad -phobias.)

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Eastmabl posted:

https://twitter.com/GoodmanGames/status/1730349263387853233

In the real world, someone approved this panel and poster.

I can't read the comments because I refuse to use the app or log in anymore.

Change "twitter.com" to "nitter.net"' and you'll punch through.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I mean… yeah, those are the dudes who write for Goodman Games. If you want to more broadly represent indie RPGs and their diversity, don’t just go with the one dungeon crawl focused company as your partner, Backerkit.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
But there will be dozens more! Maybe some of them will be under 40 and/or non-white. Fingers crossed!

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Cassius Belli posted:

Change "twitter.com" to "nitter.net"' and you'll punch through.

I am aware. I'm off Twitter mostly for sanity purposes, as it's swirling the drain.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Mirage posted:

But there will be dozens more! Maybe some of them will be under 40 and/or non-white. Fingers crossed!

Scanning over the facebook list shows a fair amount of women, still pretty white though.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Eastmabl posted:

I am aware. I'm off Twitter mostly for sanity purposes, as it's swirling the drain.

Oh, for sure. I like to remind people about Nitter because it's super useful and sometimes context is essential to the discussion at hand, but avoiding Twitter entirely is probably the best decision, overall.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cassius Belli posted:

Oh, for sure. I like to remind people about Nitter because it's super useful and sometimes context is essential to the discussion at hand, but avoiding Twitter entirely is probably the best decision, overall.

I do wish Nitter would show community notes, but I still use it with an auto-redirect script to avoid giving Twitter page views.

fidgit
Apr 27, 2002

And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless.
-don’t mind me

fidgit fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 2, 2023

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
You still have time to rethink that response

fidgit
Apr 27, 2002

And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless.

Ominous Jazz posted:

You still have time to rethink that response

Edited because I realized I dont care

fidgit fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 2, 2023

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm in my 60s, and those guys all look older than me. WTF?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I'm in my 60s, and those guys all look older than me. WTF?

wow big humblebrag from 'person who aged gracefully: :sparkles:

wait

wait

hum-bug-le-brag

nailed it

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Anybody here play Unconquered? Maybe plagiarized from Ultraviolet Grasslands?

https://traversefantasy.blogspot.com/2023/12/plagiarism-in-unconquered-2022.html?m=1

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

CitizenKeen posted:

Anybody here play Unconquered? Maybe plagiarized from Ultraviolet Grasslands?

https://traversefantasy.blogspot.com/2023/12/plagiarism-in-unconquered-2022.html?m=1

Those text comparisons are damning, there's really no question here of some pretty shameless plagiarism. I suppose if there's any upside to this, it's that it might drive some views to Ultraviolet Grasslands, which is quite neat.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I laughed when I read the examples. I was like.... This is some lazy kid in high school poo poo, here.

Keeping core phrases but using a few synonyms? Padding between lines? Mild reorganizing? Golly.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

dwarf74 posted:

I laughed when I read the examples. I was like.... This is some lazy kid in high school poo poo, here.

Keeping core phrases but using a few synonyms? Padding between lines? Mild reorganizing? Golly.

If you wanna talk about lazy-rear end plagiarism a wild 4-hour long hbomberguy expose of plagiarism in YouTube "documentaries" just came out.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Recommend listening at 2x in the background while doing something else though because it's padded af. I'm glad I learned about some new awful youtubers, but the new overly long youtube meta to maximize ads and views is exhausting

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

admanb posted:

4-hour long hbomberguy

lmfao

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Recommend listening at 2x in the background while doing something else though because it's padded af. I'm glad I learned about some new awful youtubers, but the new overly long youtube meta to maximize ads and views is exhausting

yeah I'm sick and just playing MMOs all day so 1.5x was perfect

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
hbomberguy talks too fast and britishly already, I don't know why you'd accelerate the process

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think the video was "padded" at all. The point was to present an overwhelming amount of evidence to build an ironclad case that this was deliberate and systemic.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Kestral posted:

Those text comparisons are damning, there's really no question here of some pretty shameless plagiarism. I suppose if there's any upside to this, it's that it might drive some views to Ultraviolet Grasslands, which is quite neat.

If you ask 1980s TSR, we're all disgusting thieves playing DnD wrong.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Nuns with Guns posted:

hbomberguy talks too fast and britishly already, I don't know why you'd accelerate the process

Worst English can be rough but I don’t find his accent or intonation particularly challenging.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I watched the whole video. Hbomberguy really pulls it all together at the end. Absurdly long perhaps, but it's one of his very best.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Yeah, it's not padded and Hbomb isn't just inflating view length for that sweet sweet ad revenue. In fact he's donating all ad revenue from this video to the creators whose work was stolen.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Also a good chunk of the length comes from the necessity to play bits of the plagiarists' videos to illustrate where they've been doing plagiarisms. There's a limit to which he could cut down his material without either a) indulging in exactly the sort of unsourced assertion he's trying to challenge or b) tossing evidence aside and thereby weakening his case.

Yes, there's jokes, but they don't seem overly milked to me and help keep things engaging.

Todd In the Shadows' follow-up video is also interesting because it manages a similarly devastating demolition of James Somerton coming from a totally different direction (namely, the direction which points out that Somerton just plain gets facts wrong or has weird and totally unsupported takes a lot of the time).

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

While I'm sympathetic to the complaint about video length, there's a pretty real difference between the occasional very long video from Hbomb etc, and poo poo like mauler whose whole thing is going frame-by-frame through a movie for a million hours to be mad at women.

Though I am willing to admit I found my limit with Noah Caldwell-Gervais when he broke my heart after finally getting a new mic but then started putting out 7- and 10-hour videos.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

That Old Tree posted:

While I'm sympathetic to the complaint about video length, there's a pretty real difference between the occasional very long video from Hbomb etc, and poo poo like mauler whose whole thing is going frame-by-frame through a movie for a million hours to be mad at women.

Though I am willing to admit I found my limit with Noah Caldwell-Gervais when he broke my heart after finally getting a new mic but then started putting out 7- and 10-hour videos.

Bless Noah for existing.

I've taken to playing a random NeverKnowsBest video to fall asleep too because sweet English calm man tells me about final fantasy for 4 hours is maximum vibes.

But that poo poo on YouTube has been systemic for ages. A lot of the Gundam guys have taken to slapping their brand logo on a cutting mat in the middle of the screen because cropping is so easy and poo poo gets reposted. Especially the videos where no one is speaking so it's incredibly easy to copy, crop, and reupload.

poo poo like this is what the copyright detection should be flagging but somehow it never seems to catch this small time stuff. Weird.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ravus Ursus posted:

Bless Noah for existing.

I'd never played a Fallout before this year but his video on it was so good and so enthusiastic that I jumped in with feet first and discovered an entire new (sub)genre of game that I've come to love

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ravus Ursus posted:

poo poo like this is what the copyright detection should be flagging but somehow it never seems to catch this small time stuff. Weird.

I think YouTube’s copyright stuff sucks, but I don’t really know how you would expect it to catch video essayists ripping off books and magazine articles.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'd never played a Fallout before this year but his video on it was so good and so enthusiastic that I jumped in with feet first and discovered an entire new (sub)genre of game that I've come to love

For real? You watched the (checks) nine hour video on Fallout and then decided to play them? That's a bit funny to me, but also cool!

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Subjunctive posted:

I think YouTube’s copyright stuff sucks, but I don’t really know how you would expect it to catch video essayists ripping off books and magazine articles.

I meant more the wholesale video reuploads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ravus Ursus posted:

I meant more the wholesale video reuploads.

Oh, like AreTheyGay’s stuff that was copied? Yeah, maybe, though I’ll admit as I was watching the hbomberguy video I was wondering how he didn’t get copyright struck for replaying so much of Somerton’s videos. I guess it has to be registered with content ID or whatever.