Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

Just go to a karaoke bar if you want that, really.

If there is a place with a Karaoke bar in a F/A-18 then give me the details

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It was announced a week or two ago as a VR movie

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So we've got a 130 million dollar money fire NFT scam with a three episode ONA attached, a janky IGLOO season 3 looking German spinoff, a VR exclusive something or other and SEED Freedom.

Without speaking to the actual quality of any of these projects they're certainly diversifying the franchise.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

So we've got a 130 million dollar money fire NFT scam with a three episode ONA attached, a janky IGLOO season 3 looking German spinoff, a VR exclusive something or other and SEED Freedom.

Without speaking to the actual quality of any of these projects they're certainly diversifying the franchise.

Sounds like a Gundam Dark AGE to me.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Has there been any gundam news after gwitch ended that didn't look like dogshit

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hathaway 2

Hathaway 2 save me

Save me Hathaway 2

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ninjewtsu posted:

I think that destroy gundam kit was announced after gwitch? It looks pretty cool.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Know what? Since it's up on Youtube I think I'll watch Gundam Seed and see what all the hubbab is about.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gundam Thunderbolt is still going. If you aren't reading it, you don't get to complain.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

ninjewtsu posted:

The promotional pictures of Shinn Asuka and Shinn Asuka merchandise. They also posted that cool Gyan recently.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

ninjewtsu posted:

IBO: Urdr Hunt is getting an OVA adaptation or something, that has potential.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

SgtSteel91 posted:

Know what? Since it's up on Youtube I think I'll watch Gundam Seed and see what all the hubbab is about.

I'm like over halfway through and I still don't really get it.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

...I might have re-started the rumor that the Ocean Dub VA for Kira was kicked in the balls as method acting for the crying scenes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Whether it's true or not the Ocean dub is still pretty drat solid.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Hathaway 2

Hathaway 2 save me

Save me Hathaway 2

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Whether it's true or not the Ocean dub is still pretty drat solid.

I'm watching the JP dub on Crunchyroll, is the Ocean dub (legally) available anywhere?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

From my limited experience in Project Wingman VR, I can only assume this will be incredibly vomit worthy, but in a good way. That said, gently caress Gundam VR, let's go Macross VR.

If it doesn't let me get completely disoriented in the clouds and lawn-dart into the ocean, Silver Phantom is a failure of a VR experience.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

Hathaway 2

Hathaway 2 save me

Save me Hathaway 2

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Waffleman_ posted:

Hathaway 2

Hathaway 2 save me

Save me Hathaway 2

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zedd posted:

IBO: Urdr Hunt is getting an OVA adaptation or something, that has potential.

Yeah, Urdr Hunt was a pretty fun little series. Of course, my favorite bit was the shorts with the core IBO cast, and those aren't going to come into play for the finale (movie, ONA, shorts, whatever), but the main series had some fun worldbuilding, a decent enough cast, some amusing gags, and nice robot fights. It's good to see that the game closing down won't prevent it from getting some kind of proper ending.

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The show is absolute non sense start to finish.
Having finally finished all the movies, this is 1000% true--and I'm strangely here for it? Just big King Gainer vibes the whole way through with Gundam sprinkles on top.

Also if the movies supposedly made it more understandable, I shudder to think what the original broadcast must have been like.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mecha posted:

Having finally finished all the movies, this is 1000% true--and I'm strangely here for it? Just big King Gainer vibes the whole way through with Gundam sprinkles on top.

Also if the movies supposedly made it more understandable, I shudder to think what the original broadcast must have been like.

Even more confusing, yes. One thing that I've felt about G-Reco's show release, that's gotten to some disagreement, is that it seemed to be deliberately confusing, rather than just accidentally confusing. That is to say, a lot of moments in the show seem to be made to obscure meaning, rather than the show just taking a Wire style "We said what we said, pick up on the details or don't" approach.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The show was actually pretty easy to follow if you paid attention.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gripweed posted:

I'd substitute "paying attention" with "talked with others about the show as it was airing, read about the show's general outline afterwards or were otherwise immersed in the cultural millieu to have a context for things you personally may have missed but others picked up (and vice versa), since a lot of things are only mentioned once or twice and easy to miss; so sharing that context and receiving that same benefit in some way makes the show a lot easier to digest'.

Then again, I'd say the same about most of Tomino's shows going back to at least First Gundam. G-Reco tends to be denser with the same rough amount of information because Tomino tried to fit 50 episodes worth of content into 26 episodes, but they all have the same issue really. Which is what makes them enduring in their popularity to some degree. It's also easier to overlook for older shows because they have been around so long, have been discussed to death by a wide variety of people etc.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 5, 2023

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Gripweed posted:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I mean it is? The actual basic plot of G-Reco is straightforward enough. It's just the Megafauna crew following the trail of the Photon Batteries while running into the various factions that are manipulating it for their own goals, almost all of which boil down to "We want to go rule Earth/back to Earth and also be the biggest dicks on campus on Earth." The plot is basically a round trip of Aida and the crew meeting every major faction in the setting and getting their reasons for things, followed by returning to Earth in an attempt to stop people from killing each other for stupid reasons.

Like some of the setting stuff or specific character actions can be a bit weird but that is either the case where it's intentionally weird (since the entire Photon Battery/Psuedo Dark History situation is intentionally artificial and controlled) or because sometimes Tomino characters are just fuckin' weirdos.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 5, 2023

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There's also a bunch of moments where cause and effect isn't directly stated, just implied at a later point. An early example I think about is how it's not immediately apparent why Aida is allowed to escape from captivity early on. Bellri gets to be a "hostage" and a few episodes later when Cumpa is sending out the Capital Army he's using the "hostage situation" as an excuse. He doesn't say that's why he allowed that escape to happen, but he says that because the army is rescuing hostages it's a defensive action which means he doesn't need to get approval for it. The viewer is left to connect the dots there.

It's something I like a lot about the show.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Like straight up:

You start with the Capital and the Capital Guard, who are based around the giant space elevator that brings batteries down. Because the elevator is the only real connection to space and because of intentional manipulation the Capital Space Elevator has taken on a religious symbolism (SU-Cord/Space Umbilical Cord.) Bellri starts here. The Capital Guard are the people who protect and service the Space Elevator and the theoretical neutrality of the Elevator and the Capital is a key factor here, while it's also emphasized that the Capital holds an unbelievable amount of power due to their monopoly on batteries. They also recently captured the G-Self, a mysterious machine

We're introduced to Ameria, who are a nation who doesn't obey the Capital's Su-Cord rules. While we're first introduced to them as pirates, it quickly becomes clear that 'pirates' is meant in the old fashion where they are a barely-deniable faction of Ameria's forces who are aggressively trying to break the Capital's monopoly on Photon Batteries and because Ameria is aware that the Capital is gradually starting to break the religious taboos that theoretically kept them neutral by allying (indirectly) with Gondawan, Ameria's rival nation. Bellri ends up with them along and gets a weird fixation on Aida, mistaking it for romantic love.

You spend time with the Ameria pilots and quickly get into conflict with the Capital Army, who are a giant-rear end taboo-breaking army theoretically built to 'repel the threats of space' but really are just an excuse to move from neutrality to full-on aggressive force again. (They are also a big ol' neon sign going HEY GOING FROM DEFENSIVE FORCES TO OFFENSIVE FORCES IS A WARNING SIGN, JAPAN - signed Tomino.) Eventually the Megafauna decides they need to go to do the source to deal with this.

Then you get introduced to Towasanga. Towasanga are the remains of the spacenoids from the UC who have settled into colonies around the Earth. In theory they serve as the caretakers of outer space and part of the whole Energy Battery system, but recently militant groups have gone from "We are caretakers" to "We have all the guns and technology, Earth should belong to US!!" So you have both the Towasanga loyalists and the Reconguista faction. (The Dollet Fleet.) You find out the G-Self was sent from Towasanga theoretically under the guise of a scouting unit, but in actuality to find the members of the Reconguista-opposing Rayhunton family who were thought dead. (Turns out it was Bellri and Aida, which is why only they can pilot the G-Self besides Raraya, its actual registered pilot.)

Then you get the final stop on the battery trip, Venus Globe, who are the remains of the far-distant Spacenoids and have themselves almost taken to worshipping Earth and the Photon Battery system. (Though some have just grown so settled in the status quo that they'll live for hundred of years of meh.) Like the rest of the factions in the show you have those who believe they want to return to Earth and those that support the current system. At this point the group basically comes to the conclusion that every loving side is wrong, the current system sucks, but so does the idea of going to war and killing everyone to get power. The Megafauna Crew, which at this point is now a unified group of almost every faction, heads back to Earth to either talk sense into or actively take down those trying to push the Reconguista/"Return by Force" plan. Since no group has a large unified army a small group of powerful mobile suits is actually a viable choice for that. (As does the fact that people are given a glimpse of the absolute loving horror of the weapons they've unleashed.)

By the end they stop the armed groups, the leaderships pushing for that are almost all dead, and the unified Megafauna crew with its massive number of incredibly influential people from all walks of life are able to at least start pushing for a new status quo, while Bellri basically decides to continue the journey on his own by going to explore the Earth the way he explored space.

It can be summed up as "Every faction has people who are too beholden to a status quo, and people who are willing to enact violence to break the status quo not for the betterment of others but for their selfishness, after a worldwide tour the protagonist group decides both sides are loving morons."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 5, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Well said.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/steelbreak/status/1732042217609638306?t=npdrxHvoQLn_rsgIcCi0UQ&s=19

D'awww

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

My favorite sinanju.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Sinaaawju.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It can be summed up as "Every faction has people who are too beholden to a status quo, and people who are willing to enact violence to break the status quo not for the betterment of others but for their selfishness, after a worldwide tour the protagonist group decides both sides are loving morons."

It can be, yes. The question isn't if G-Reco can be explained simply, but if just watching the show is sufficient for most viewers. And given how most people say the movies made it easier, that suggests that there was some barrier in how the show presented its information that caused difficulties.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

skill issue

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

That feels kind of harsh, doesn't it?

Turn A Gundam shows that Tomino has the skills needed to explain himself more-or-less clearly. He just had some off days.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

That feels kind of harsh, doesn't it?

Turn A Gundam shows that Tomino has the skills needed to explain himself more-or-less clearly. He just had some off days.

I'd agree. Turn A should've been a 25 - 30 episode run instead of wasting so much time over explaining basic concepts.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The G-Reco movies made just as much sense as the show to me. Way I see it, if people are saying the movies made it make more sense then the show then that's just a natural effect of experiencing the story a second time around.

Particularly since specific details about what was confusing in the show and clear in the movies typically aren't provided.

Srice fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 6, 2023

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4HSI4_yNF4

Like this thing but high production values?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Revitalized posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4HSI4_yNF4

Like this thing but high production values?

Seems to be the plan. We can't know for sure until it releases, but it at least seems like a potentially interesting avenue.

More excited for it than the Zeon show, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

I'd agree. Turn A should've been a 25 - 30 episode run instead of wasting so much time over explaining basic concepts.

I honestly agree with this. I've only ever watched Turn A once because it feels tedious to rewatch.