Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Dr_Gee posted:

Demo/Arc as a Bomberperson (grenado, canister, mortar, molotov; throw in whatever the capstone flaming rain Arc thing is for flavor) is hella fun* and might be worth a try next

*effective in end game? eh. fun for like, the first very long % of the game or maybe leaving permanently on Elite? absolutely

I have one of this combo in her 30s right now and fyi Lightning Jacks modded like this is very reasonable filler/left mouse button power:

I don't understand the point of rank 2 or 3 of the mod though, it just reduces radius? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
The radius goes up. It's a penalty, so -1.2 is better than -1.5

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah I see that it shrinks the radius if you spend points on it (I figure this actually comes out to the angle of the cone they are scattered in) but I don't understand why that's really a benefit :shrug:

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
You're still not seeing the negative sign.

The default radius is 2 meters. The Quick Jack modifier subtracts 1.5 meters with the first point, so the skill has 0.5 meters left. The next two points change that to subtracting 1.3 and then 1.2 meters, so it the skill will have 0.8 meters when you're fully invested.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

oh you mean EACH JACK does a little AOE? I see, yeah that's kind of worthwhile, to me it actually doesn't matter much because I just spam it at bosses and stuff between cooldowns :shrug:

thanks for explaining

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Flesh Forge posted:

I have one of this combo in her 30s right now and fyi Lightning Jacks modded like this is very reasonable filler/left mouse button power:

I don't understand the point of rank 2 or 3 of the mod though, it just reduces radius? :shrug:

if you get a couple of MIs (one from overseers, one from a bug) you can easily have +5k electrocute damage quite early on

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah I found a rather nice one of the overseer MIs:

for the main hand I have Stormcaller's Spellblade (not really great, just what I happen to have)
I need to review what I can craft now too, I'm unlocking some of the higher tier item mods that give you a huge +damage% reserve power on each

e: Rotting Croplands, around Homestead, really sucks rear end

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

MarcusSA posted:

I went back a quite a few pages but I couldn't find the steam deck settings someone posted. Does anyone have that handy by chance?

Look at my posts for the CPU fix. Otherwise I run proton 7-25 (though somebody ITT said the latest works fine? Not my experience) and run the x64 version. There's a couple command line things I have added also to auto run the CPU fix and other things that potentially help.

E: see below. Sorry for the double

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 5, 2023

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Suburban Dad posted:

Ok more testing, none of that worked, lol. There's another script that's here. https://forums.crateentertainment.com/t/tool-core-switcher-force-gd-to-use-all-cores-equally/100875 I tried both of them and had better luck with the linux_core_switcher.sh one for whatever reason. Same as before, put it in /home/deck (or wherever) and run the launch option. To rule out any permissions issues with the script, open the konsole before you leave desktop mode and do
chmod +x /home/deck/linux_core_switcher.sh

CPU seems more spread out evenly than largely using one core. That said, it still won't do a locked 40 on any settings I tried, but the dips will be into the 20s rather than single digits at least...

I used the same launch option but added a bit to the front that may or may not do anything with later versions of proton DXVK_ASYNC=1 %command% & sleep 10 ; /home/deck/linux_core_switcher.sh

I run the x64 version, force compatibility with proton 8. In game I don't see a huge difference with any of the graphics settings, 1280x800, VSync off, AA off, and medium ish for the rest. Even turning them to low doesn't seem to make much difference.

FYI I am not a linux nerd I just basically copied what some other people had success with on reddit so I'm poo poo at troubleshooting from here. GL

I think it was basically all this and an earlier proton version got me to a pretty good state. Some people say it's totally fine out of the box somehow though. It was a stuttering mess prior to the proton change for me.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

so .... if you convert Direct Damage Type X (e.g. Fire) to Direct Damage Type Y (e.g. Acid) then .... any DOT associated with an originally Fire-based attack will also be converted to the corresponding DOT? i.e. poison?
e: I guess the least convoluted way to fool around with abusing this mechanic with something I haven't spent any time on yet is Oath Keeper's Righteous Fervor (100% phys to acid)
e: plus Nightblade (%piercing to acid)
e: or inquisitor for 2x poison ammo gas bombs :hmmyes:

JUST realizing that this would mean the phys DOT from Grenado would also be converted to Lightning DOT/Electrocution :doh:
I hadn't taken it because I didn't think it would convert

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Interesting to note that that phys to poison conversion on Oathbreaker's Righteous Fervor happens before armor piercing is calculated, so Soldier seems to be the correct choice rather than one of the other classes that adds flat Piercing:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I got a first character to 95, what are common endgame farming routes/zones people do? Big one I guess is SR which I haven't really done anything with yet, but what else do people do?

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??

Suburban Dad posted:

I think it was basically all this and an earlier proton version got me to a pretty good state. Some people say it's totally fine out of the box somehow though. It was a stuttering mess prior to the proton change for me.

The biggest fix for me was the CPU fix that made the game use all cores on the CPU. Making sure to set the .sh file to be executable was something I missed doing before and the game still used the first CPU core only before I made that change. Ever since applying that fix, I get a solid 90fps on my OLED Deck with high settings and like 10W TDP.

Thanks for posting that link though, that was a huge help!

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

I think I used item skills or just whapped enemies a couple times for filler, but this is probably a better option. Also as you get more CD reduction and get multiple mortars online, filler becomes less a thing. There's always something to do

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I got a first character to 95, what are common endgame farming routes/zones people do? Big one I guess is SR which I haven't really done anything with yet, but what else do people do?

Because the loot scales everywhere you can do pretty much anything and get good loot since 94 is the highest level requirement for gear.

Just running act bosses is a decent loot run on itself if you can't handle tougher content.

Skeleton Key dungeons (Steps of Torment and the like) are solid loot-a-ramas if you can beat them consistently and are a good source for a variety of monster infrequents.

The Shattered Realm scales up pretty gradually so you can start it and see how far you can push - there's keystone items you get that'll let you start at higher waves on going back in based on how far you made it the first time.

Crucible is kind of its own zone and can drop a lot of items and iron bits if you can push through to the highest difficulty.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wish bladeburst was a default attack replacement. Instead I gotta remember to right-click from time to time.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
You can assign it to left click and then you'll just do regular attacks while it cools down.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
that doesn't work with berenath's fury, right? or is it just not optimal? every reaper build i've seen recommends just using abb to refresh lethal assault instead of using it on left click

Hauki
May 11, 2010

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Because the loot scales everywhere you can do pretty much anything and get good loot since 94 is the highest level requirement for gear.

Just running act bosses is a decent loot run on itself if you can't handle tougher content.

Skeleton Key dungeons (Steps of Torment and the like) are solid loot-a-ramas if you can beat them consistently and are a good source for a variety of monster infrequents.

The Shattered Realm scales up pretty gradually so you can start it and see how far you can push - there's keystone items you get that'll let you start at higher waves on going back in based on how far you made it the first time.

Crucible is kind of its own zone and can drop a lot of items and iron bits if you can push through to the highest difficulty.

To add to this, there’s a variety of routes people run for farming specific MIs, crafting materials or deterministic drops from specific bosses/areas. These usually have a couple chests to blow up along the way for blueprints and such. Ugdenbog, Malmouth, Mountain Deeps, etc. Phone posting, but I’m sure you can find other people’s ms paint maps. I try to work those into things like Steps or Bastion or boss runs just for more variety.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

szary posted:

You can assign it to left click and then you'll just do regular attacks while it cools down.

It seems to be workign? Hard to tell when the various adds trigger.

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

I picked this back up again recently to check out the 1.2 changes and I've been having fun on a new pet Conjurer. Several years ago I took a Shieldbreaker to 100, my only high level character. I don't really remember what I was doing, from looking over the gear seems to be some kind of shield throw/fire retaliation thing; I was probably just winging it.

Anybody have suggestions on what I could tweak this character into for starting some of the endgame farming? I don't mind tearing it totally apart and doing a full respec/devotion swap for a drastically different build or whatever, just not sure what my "good" options are.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/eVLG8GM2

e: I'm max rep with all? the factions

Prel fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 6, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Interesting to note that that phys to poison conversion on Oathbreaker's Righteous Fervor happens before armor piercing is calculated, so Soldier seems to be the correct choice rather than one of the other classes that adds flat Piercing:

don't do this, it isn't good
e: well the class combination is fine I'm sure, just leaning into this gimmick of phys to poison and trying to make it work with a random green rifle wasn't good

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 6, 2023

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Prel posted:

I picked this back up again recently to check out the 1.2 changes and I've been having fun on a new pet Conjurer. Several years ago I took a Shieldbreaker to 100, my only high level character. I don't really remember what I was doing, from looking over the gear seems to be some kind of shield throw/fire retaliation thing; I was probably just winging it.

Anybody have suggestions on what I could tweak this character into for starting some of the endgame farming? I don't mind tearing it totally apart and doing a full respec/devotion swap for a drastically different build or whatever, just not sure what my "good" options are.

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/eVLG8GM2

e: I'm max rep with all? the factions

You're actually really close to a good spot with your devotions, skills, and gear, because everything's pretty synergistic with each other, you just need a big dose of OA and fire resist % reduction.

Just keeping most the gear you have and rejiggering the components, augments, and devotions, here's something that should bash things pretty good with about 2700 OA and 3000 DA, and about 2900 OA with Ascension up:
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/Q2zevg4N

The Combustion Band is subbed in for your blue ring because it comes with -% fire resist on the proc.

Relic is a nice damage upgrade; either Honor or Absolution works fine.

Devotions got rejiggered around so you can grab all of Ulzuin's Torch.

The crafted components are a little expensive and might take time and materials you don't have yet so they're flexible because resistance augments can sub in for the defensive ability augments you have.

Down the line some Stormbearers boots will do you real good over the stonetreaders for an offensive bump, and if you can scrabble together the Virtue's set that's a great Fire Aegis set.

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

40 Proof Listerine posted:

You're actually really close to a good spot with your devotions, skills, and gear, because everything's pretty synergistic with each other, you just need a big dose of OA and fire resist % reduction.

Just keeping most the gear you have and rejiggering the components, augments, and devotions, here's something that should bash things pretty good with about 2700 OA and 3000 DA, and about 2900 OA with Ascension up:
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/Q2zevg4N

The Combustion Band is subbed in for your blue ring because it comes with -% fire resist on the proc.

Relic is a nice damage upgrade; either Honor or Absolution works fine.

Devotions got rejiggered around so you can grab all of Ulzuin's Torch.

The crafted components are a little expensive and might take time and materials you don't have yet so they're flexible because resistance augments can sub in for the defensive ability augments you have.

Down the line some Stormbearers boots will do you real good over the stonetreaders for an offensive bump, and if you can scrabble together the Virtue's set that's a great Fire Aegis set.

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of post I was hoping for.

e: I also discovered I have three passives still available from quests! I need /passives apparently.

Prel fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 6, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The game is trying to convince me to reroll that character into Fist Wizard :hmmyes:

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
didnt realize that i could screw myself out of killing malkadarr on every difficulty by picking death's vigil in ultimate. is there any way to edit quests? there doesn't appear to be.

tried editing my reputation with kymons chosen but it still spawns the wrong guy in the tomb, he's just friendly to me. it's looking like I'm just going to have to save edit a character to farm level 94 malkadarr dreadblades or just edit them in myself if that's possible. pretty stupid that choosing one faction in ultimate changes the questline in the previous difficulties

Gone Fashing fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 6, 2023

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
Anyone have fun builds for a death knight? Just about to start to Act 7 on normal at level 63. Please nothing that relies solely on Forcewave haha.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

Gone Fashing posted:

didnt realize that i could screw myself out of killing malkadarr on every difficulty by picking death's vigil in ultimate. is there any way to edit quests? there doesn't appear to be.

tried editing my reputation with kymons chosen but it still spawns the wrong guy in the tomb, he's just friendly to me. it's looking like I'm just going to have to save edit a character to farm level 94 malkadarr dreadblades or just edit them in myself if that's possible. pretty stupid that choosing one faction in ultimate changes the questline in the previous difficulties

GD Stash would work to drop in the items, ya (I'm suspecting you know this given the mention of editing, mostly saying for other folks who might not)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

this feels like a super duper strong combo, I guess it's super obvious since the warden drops a mace like this most of the time

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

That specific weapon is why my spellbinders always do a skeleton army + IEE. I just can't resist elemental damage boost skellie mages, we clean up from level 20 until it's time for the green death beam

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I brat the first boss with my janky build. See you in Hell, Warden!

I got part of a set that gives +2 to all Nightblade skills if completed, but it boosts bleeding. Should I go for it anyway?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

greazeball posted:

That specific weapon is why my spellbinders always do a skeleton army + IEE. I just can't resist elemental damage boost skellie mages, we clean up from level 20 until it's time for the green death beam

yeah but if you do shaman/necromancer you get a large amount of flat physical pet damage added, and it ALL gets converted to Aether - I don't know how good this is later but it feels like a very extreme outlier at this point :shrug:
e: well, 61-80 phys damage from Mogdrogen's Pact at rank 12

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 7, 2023

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Question regarding Duncan vs Angrim: Can I choose one smith on one difficulty, a different smith in a different difficulty, then switch back and forth as needed to access their services?

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

I think Doctor Thunder is probably the best modeler alive today, I just really love all his work.

chaosapiant posted:

Question regarding Duncan vs Angrim: Can I choose one smith on one difficulty, a different smith in a different difficulty, then switch back and forth as needed to access their services?

Yes you can, I usually pick Duncan on normal so I can craft his guns, and Angrim on elite and legendary for convenience since he gives more useful completion bonuses than Duncan

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think I currently have Duncan on Elite and am now into Ultimate. Should I use Angrim this time?

Also, is there site that allow me to post a link of my build for goon-critique? I'm level 95 now and want to get some more advice on my dual pistol Commando build.

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

I think Doctor Thunder is probably the best modeler alive today, I just really love all his work.
Might as well, Angrim gives %armor and % pierce which a lot of people prefer when crafting end game stuff.

You can upload your character's save in https://www.grimtools.com/ so we can take a look, go to builds and look for the import button in upper left

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

EL Skirvo posted:

Might as well, Angrim gives %armor and % pierce which a lot of people prefer when crafting end game stuff.

You can upload your character's save in https://www.grimtools.com/ so we can take a look, go to builds and look for the import button in upper left

Found it! Here we go: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/pZryQ50V

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Here's what I have right now:
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/O2GkvkG2

Playing by the seat of my pants on Veteran, since I don't have the higher difficulties yet.

edit: lol I was shitposting somewhere else and the copy paste got screwed. Corrected the link.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
anyone able to give my first character a look and tell me what obvious things I'm missing?

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/RZRMJMrV (briarthorn conjurer)

missing a bunch of augments and most of the components could probably be a lot better, too, though idk what the bis ones even are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

Looks like you're trying to juggle fire and vitality damage here, I would focus on pure fire and lose that chest piece. I'm not super familiar with all of demo's bombs, but blackwater cocktail and thermite mines are solid. You have one point over in BWC so you can go refund that from the witch (+ skills can only exceed the max base skill by 10).

On the soldier side, maybe shave off some points from markovians and zolhans (20% chance to proc is usually good for wps skills) and put at least one in the soldier passives like veterancy and military conditioning; one point in menhir's will can be a real life saver. Definitely put some points in field command for oa\da and it's secondary node for attack speed.

Devotion wise I'd ditch wendigo and bat as you want to scale fire not vitality. I would probably put turtle on a different skill like flame touched rather than blast shield, since it's not active all the time. I took out wendigo and bat and replaced with fiend and ulzuin's torch which should suit your build a bit better. Also adjusted some skills so you could could fill out the soldier tree a bit. https://www.grimtools.com/calc/4ZD0db1Z I kept zolhan's maxed over markovian's since it gives passthrough for ranged attacks.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Here's what I have right now:
https://www.grimtools.com/calc/O2GkvkG2

Playing by the seat of my pants on Veteran, since I don't have the higher difficulties yet.

edit: lol I was shitposting somewhere else and the copy paste got screwed. Corrected the link.

Looks good so far, are you going for a cold focus?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

anyone able to give my first character a look and tell me what obvious things I'm missing?

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/RZRMJMrV (briarthorn conjurer)

missing a bunch of augments and most of the components could probably be a lot better, too, though idk what the bis ones even are

I was doing a similar build following this guide https://forums.crateentertainment.com/t/1-2-0-2-not-a-step-back-fire-pet-conjurer-facetank/132586

Mostly I would probably take most the points out of ground slam and maybe soft cap devouring swarm and put those points into mogdrogen's pact, it adds a ton of damage and regeneration to you and your pets. Max out or at least softcap the first two nodes and max them if you can. Maybe drop the two points from dreeg's evil eye and just use grasping vines to proc Howl instead?

Gearwise you might consider farming another bloodsworn signet from the boss in darkvale, he should drop it 100% Definitely go throw on some augments on your gear, Shore up that pierce and do what you can about that stun as well. Way late so I'll look over it some more tomorrow.

Edit: Ok quick and dirty look at skills and components, 3 runebound topaz's aren't cheap but they'll get your stun resist up where it needs to be. You also had abou 6 points over in briarthorn, so I've shuffled some points around to bump up mogdrogen's pact and softcapped bysmiel's bond https://www.grimtools.com/calc/O2GkazJ2 Also, looking at your DA, if you respec all your stat points to physique you can just get in the 2800's which will help your defense a lot. That spirit isn't doing much for you if you're not doing elemental damage and the cunning isn't enough to matter.

EL Skirvo fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 7, 2023