Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.
One time I didn't turn on my VPN because I was just downloading a 90 MB episode of the Eric Andre show and I was like no way any one cares about that poo poo. It took less than 20 seconds to download it. Comcast busted my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Doctors offices

Both my doctor and my vet don't have a direct phone number, just a company call service that will ferry messages to your doctor in your stead.

I tried to call my doc and alert them that I was running ten mins late to my appointment this morning and I beat the messaging service to the office lol. They got the heads up after I'd arrived.

On the one hand, I'm happy that phones aren't the primary way of doing business anymore, on the other, this leading to assholes designing systems to be phone-hostile and specifically throttle patient access, and it's infuriating.

It's an extension of 'just don't provide support and people will just have to deal with it and use your app' culture

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 5, 2023

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

DrBouvenstein posted:

There are much better and safer ways to hook up a generator.

“ThErE aRe MuCh BeTtER aNd saFeR wAys” 🤓

Let me tell that to the people who didn’t have a panel installed for a generator when Texas froze a couple years ago and needed heat, we should’ve just called an electrician first and let my disabled neighbor freeze to death. It works for what it needs to when it needs to

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
EDIT nm

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
If Texas froze and had no power people wouldn't be able to buy that in a timely fashion from an online wal-mart retailer, so they'd have to have been proactive anyway?

(I say this as a Canadian where winter is regular so we don't get hit quite the same way texas did)

Capital Letdown fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 5, 2023

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Always a treat when people who have never had to use a generator panic about a completely normal piece of equipment being sold

excuse me sir I'll have you know that uninformed people freaking out about something they don't understand is a time honored tradition and furthermore I

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

anonumos posted:

How is this an instant death cable?

It's really easy to plug together two things that aren't supposed to go together and cause your house's electrical system to catch on fire and burn everything down. They can also arc and can straight up kill you if you touch the other end after plugging it into the wall. Also if the unplugged end touches something metal it can potentially cause fires or shock someone. It's just really stupid to have a cable like that

Kit Walker fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 5, 2023

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Using facebook and some of the suggested reels are straight up softcore fetish content from instagram. Which is fine and it's not something I'm opposed to, but it's clearly picked up some suggested content from whatever tracking on other sites I visit since it's not related to anything I look or follow on FB. But there isn't any way to directly force new content topics in the promoted reels - you can't tick a box somewhere to say "I just want to see cats/cool stunts/videogame stuff in reels". You just have to hope some of those topics start coming up so you can click on them and then it'll start showing more, as far as I can tell.

Which just means I'm less likely to use facebook because if I'm browsing FB around other people, whether people I know or on public transport, I obviously don't want fetish stuff to scroll through and since you can't stop it promoting reels to you, welp. If you could choose what content you saw in the reels, I'd be more likely to use it even if that content was ads because they might be relevant or interesting.

Also youtube adding stuff to your history if you accidentally mouseover a promoted thumbnail so it plays for a second or two in the thumbnail. At this point I'm more likely to use adblockers/rip stuff because if my history has stuff I didn't watch in it, I'm certainly not going to trust youtube to give subscription revenue to the creators I've actually watched rather than ones it promotes and I don't want to watch.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Kit Walker posted:

It's really easy to plug together two things that aren't supposed to go together and cause your house's electrical system to catch on fire and burn everything down

Isn't it more that if you plug one end into the mains, the other will be live to the touch?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Capital Letdown posted:

If Texas froze and had no power people wouldn't be able to buy that in a timely fashion from an online wal-mart retailer, so they'd have to have been proactive anyway?

(I say this as a Canadian where winter is regular so we don't get hit quite the same way texas did)

In this scenario I was the proactive neighbor who has one to provide generator assistance. They wouldn’t need to prepurchase one because I already had.

ETA: obvious this is an extreme emergency and you want to do it the right way when at all possible

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 5, 2023

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

anonumos posted:

How is this an instant death cable?

imagine you set up multiple strands of christmas lights, and realized at the end near your outlet that you have the female plug side instead of the male plug side, so you get one of these male-to-male cables, and congratulations now the other unconnected male side of your christmas lights are hot and can/will catch things on fire or shock someone.
Or if you are a moron backfeeding your generator into the mains without any protection or separation, the linesman working on restoring your power could be shocked and killed because they dont know a generator is keeping the downed line live.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

bitterandtwisted posted:

Isn't it more that if you plug one end into the mains, the other will be live to the touch?

Yeah, that too. Edited more stuff into my post, lol

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Lobsterboy posted:

Or if you are a moron backfeeding your generator into the mains without any protection or separation, the linesman working on restoring your power could be shocked and killed because they dont know a generator is keeping the downed line live.

Ideally if you’re using it you aren’t a moron and are shutting off the mains breaker first

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Ideally you aren’t a moron

Famous last words of the anthropocene era

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Another good reason to hate self-checkout (that we haven't touched on yet) is that most of the physical layouts are actively hostile to anyone with a disability. The scales/bagging platforms at my supermarket are only like two feet off the ground despite the scanners being situated much higher, and the entire process involves so much twisting and bending that I gently caress up my back a full 15% of the time I do self-checkout. Good luck even attempting to use that poo poo from a wheelchair or mobility device. Also gently caress you if you're visually impaired because all of the controls are touch-based and there are no physical buttons or haptic feedback whatsoever.

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Ideally if you’re using it you aren’t a moron and are shutting off the mains breaker first

ideally your panel is setup to not even allow a generator to be feeding a house connected to the mains at the same time, but as you posted earlier some people dont even bother to prepare their panels before a generator is installed anyways, so here we are, trying to make sure people are not killing linesmen

like yeah dont have the breakers on from the live feed, but you can just have an electrician install a panel with a bar that forces either mains on / gen off, or main off / gen on.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

For many years I have been as diligent as possible to keep my personal information as private as possible. For example, I have a host of email addresses I use for various purposes - shopping, signing up for things, etc. I have a second phone number I can use for the same purpose. Its worked well for many years, until about 3 months ago. I can't think of a thing I did, but I'm getting tons of political texts now. Mostly Dems, which I can sorta understand since I've donated in the past, but also Trump stuff. And I have no idea how that happened, I've never even ironically signed up for anything there. But even the Dem texts are aggressive, and from people all over the country.

I assume some list or lists got sold out there somewhere, and I was on it, but I don't know.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

If you aren't a moron you can cut the female plug off an extension cord and splice a male end on, thus proving you have a basic understanding of electricity and are aware of the idea of a main breaker. Therefore it follows that anyone who would buy this cord is fundamentally unqualified to use it safely.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Always a treat when people who have never had to use a generator panic about a completely normal piece of equipment being sold

A completely normal piece of equipment in the same way that it's completely normal to have a loaded gun with the safety off stored in the house with a toddler.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The pro male to male posters just got probed in some home threads for giving the same awful advice.

If you are an elderly goon who is afraid the weather may kill you, seek alternative shelter instead of hoping you don't burn down your house.

Maybe be an even better neighbor and invite someone over instead of risking their house, because 'you know what you're doing'

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i feel like there's more appropriate warnings for that device besides "none"

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Uncle Lloyd posted:

If you aren't a moron you can cut the female plug off an extension cord and splice a male end on, thus proving you have a basic understanding of electricity and are aware of the idea of a main breaker. Therefore it follows that anyone who would buy this cord is fundamentally unqualified to use it safely.

Definitely agree with this. If there's enough of an emergency that something like that is necessary then people who don't already know how to make one shouldn't be touching one.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Doctors offices

Both my doctor and my vet don't have a direct phone number, just a company call service that will ferry messages to your doctor in your stead.

I tried to call my doc and alert them that I was running ten mins late to my appointment this morning and I beat the messaging service to the office lol. They got the heads up after I'd arrived.

On the one hand, I'm happy that phones aren't the primary way of doing business anymore, on the other, this leading to assholes designing systems to be phone-hostile and specifically throttle patient access, and it's infuriating.

It's an extension of 'just don't provide support and people will just have to deal with it and use your app' culture

I hate the online thing right now, yesterday I used three separate "schedule an appointment" things for different dentists offices and 24 hours later I haven't heard back from any of them yet. Their phone numbers all say "for emergencies". Kill me

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I’m glad I had mine when I had it because the competing advice of “just drive somewhere in an unprecedented ice storm” or “wait for an electrician to come install a transfer switch” weren’t workable solutions at the time

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Lmao my Dr's office straight up do not have a phone number. You can't call. It's web portal or nothing

I've only had this be an issue exactly once, thankfully

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
is this all so they could lay off a bunch of receptionists? I hadn't experienced this before and it's crazy seeing it at a bunch of places at once

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Not sure if this is relevant because I don't know how this would apply to a vet but my psych doesn't accept insurance specifically because that's what allows them to be extremely responsive and available. Insurance companies essentially force them to take more patients than they can reasonably see and communicate with, they're not allowed to decline new patients sent over by insurance.

My old psych's office, which did take insurance, had literal 2-3 hour hold times to call in and e.g. ask for a prescription refill, and they were constantly behind on refills and scheduling and everything else. They were massively overbooked and booking a new appointment had to be done more than a month ahead of time just to find a spot.

The new psych responds immediately through text, email or phone and has no wait times. It's also cheaper for me without insurance right now than the old one was with insurance because they work on a sliding scale for fees.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
yeah it's because in modern office culture, having someone whose one task is being available and on call is considered 'wasteful' because they're not optimized to be working on a task 100% of the time. The whole 'they're just sitting around the rest of the time!' bullshit

The thing is, the reason the system of receptionists was even developed is bc anyone who does have tasks may be too busy to stop whatever task they're on to answer the phone. The only way to have absolutely efficiency with scooping up new work is to have someone idle when that work comes in. You need someone who has nothing else of greater urgency going on, because their job is to be free to handle urgent tasks when those come up. If you were to make them so busy they had little downtime, you're literally undoing the point of a receptionist and congratulations, now you just have another worker, but someone who is paid way lower than their similarly burdened cohorts and treated like garbage on top of it.

With the death of phone culture, having someone whose only job is manning the phone and handling office scheduling is considered 'extra', as above and beyond. And every place is run so lean that they can't even really handle any emergencies or upsets, so getting rid of the phone access has a plus there in that they've just removed your ability to introduce those factors lol

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 5, 2023

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I’m glad I had mine when I had it because the competing advice of “just drive somewhere in an unprecedented ice storm” or “wait for an electrician to come install a transfer switch” weren’t workable solutions at the time

Both of those are better solutions than connecting a generator using one of those cables.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

Both of those are better solutions than connecting a generator using one of those cables.

107 elderly people died in that storm. I was able to keep one warm and didn't add to that statistic. I assure you, they were not.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
this is going to sound insane, but I would simply welcome the elderly person in to my apparently amptly prepared abode

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

AARD VARKMAN posted:

this is going to sound insane, but I would simply welcome the elderly person in to my apparently amptly prepared abode

i was there with my truck & generator working on a friend's gutted remodel, so i'm glad you're able to monday morning quarterback this with incomplete information and that you'd do that but it was not an option in my situation

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

shut the gently caress up about the suicide cords jesus loving chruist

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

AARD VARKMAN posted:

is this all so they could lay off a bunch of receptionists? I hadn't experienced this before and it's crazy seeing it at a bunch of places at once

I guess? Everyone signs in with an iPad and the computer generated voice calls your name and tells you what room the doctor will see you in. (this info is also on a giant dashboard TV if you can't hear) I like it honestly. There's still a few office people in a back room who will come out if you indicate on the iPad you have a complicated situation like needing something refrigerated

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

shut the gently caress up about the suicide cords jesus loving chruist

No, I must defend the suicide cords because they were useful in one extreme edge case where luckily nothing went wrong

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
oh it works great in the office setup, like it's all very ordered and organized.

I actually didn't mind it until we realized our cat was running low on a medication and needed a refill, and just trying to call to get it was turning into a whole Thing. I had to buy a membership to their app to request the refill. I have 3 cats and you can't message about one on another's 'account', and I'm not going to buy 3 loving memberships so that I can reach the vet when I need to. so now I'm back to trying to find a new vet, ugh.

They had a working phone number when we started going to them, and we could always reach a vet tech in the past - this is all part of them unveiling their new locations and subsequent updates in their 'system'. They actually scheduled us at another location recently bc they were shifting our vet there, and when we arrived it wasn't open yet. Their system was so automated they hadn't caught that no one had updated all these appointments scheduled at a non-existent location. For that they were super apologetic and it apparently at least triggered them to check what other appointments were pending at that location and follow up with those folks.

But you know who would've caught all that before it happened and just rescheduled? A loving receptionist.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 5, 2023

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
The location was scheduled to open Dec 1 and our appt was scheduled AM of Dec 2, so we were probably the very first appt scheduled

Just lol at automating so much you set everything up assuming the absolute best regarding an business opening and don't have anyone assigned to managing it lol

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Kit Walker posted:

No, I must defend the suicide cords because they were useful in one extreme edge case where luckily nothing went wrong

Oh my god why won't you just drop it and admit that the poster is smarter and safer and more skilled and better looking and more popular and a better electrician and elder caretaker than you will ever be?!!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I conceded there’s better ways to do it in my 2nd post and got interrogated about why I didn’t do it differently, you guys are morons. It is probably better if we move on tho otherwise the thing that got shittier will be this thread

Big Bowie Bonanza fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'm actually really surprised that there aren't more receptionist-as-a-service companies out there. I know they exist, but the fact that they haven't taken over everywhere seems like a missed opportunity for vc stuff. Of course after a few months they would fire everyone and make it an AI Enhanced™ voice chatbot, then a few months later they can remove all dial in phone numbers and only allow access if they call in via the app