Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Aug. 07, 1960)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

EasyEW posted:

And a bonus wall of :words: from Dorothy Parker:

That's a David Mitchell rant.

Julet Esqu posted:

Okay, time to find out who's jumping out of the plane in Luann

Greg 12:4 is my favourite bible verse.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Getting angry in advance that big goofy angel Mud Mountain Murphy is about to encounter trouble for trusting Rene Conman Criminal Conman Lastname to have done anything legit.

I don't think Mark Trail can be good at this point but losing the incredibly self-conscious narration box that is basically begging the audience to laugh and reminding them a joke was told would be a nice step forward. It's one of the absolute worst tics any comedian could develop.

amigolupus posted:

What's pathetic is that Crankshaft the character's reason for being here was to voice objections about this risky business venture. So not only did he steal what was supposed to be Mindy's role (because St. Lisa forbid a woman ever do anything in this comic), he didn't even do his loving job.

I would think they should ask Funky what led to the place shutting down but I also fully trust that Dopey Pete's thought process was "I miss my local pizza joint" -> "How hard could it be to run myself? And I can eat all the pizza I want!" First year restaurant struggles in a proven failure location, my man loves a challenge.

If the conversation ends here it also makes Funky kind of a prick, but at least no more than the average businessman. I'd be hard-pressed to turn down free money from a sucker too.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
It's one pizza place, how much could it cost to run? $20 a day?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Hippocrass posted:

It's one pizza place, how much could it cost to run? $20 a day?

No experience running a restaurant, no contacts in the business. No familiarity with the regulations surrounding the business. Nothing but a vague external idea of how the business actually works, money, and a whim.

Well, at least he didn't pay 42 billion dollars for it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 12/4/03

Brenda Starr 3/16/52

That hillbilly shootin' iron of Weegee's apparently has the range of a sniper rifle.

Smokey Stover 5/25/58

Everyday Movies 1/11/37

"He forgot me at Christmas so I've stopped tucking in the blanket for his feet."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 9/13/42

Closer Than We Think 5/25/58

Teachers on video screens! That'll work out great, right?

Bonus News Story! Was it uphill both ways?

Selachian fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 5, 2023

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Didn't expect Jughead.
So... another man says hello with familiarity and he instantly switches into aggression mode. Girl, the best decision you ever made in your life was to get away from him the first time. :(

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

So... another man says hello with familiarity and he instantly switches into aggression mode. Girl, the best decision you ever made in your life was to get away from him the first time. :(

Dude you went on ONE DATE with her. Chill on the "who is this man who speaks as though he knows you!"

Also, loving Phantom. "Well Mozz did a suuuuuper specific prophecy but maybe it was one of those super easy to misinterpret parts of. A more loose self-fulfilling prophecy."

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Selachian posted:

Get Fuzzy 12/4/03

In 2004, my family went on a trip to southern Canada to visit our relatives. The border guards going into Canada were as nice as can be. The American border guard, however, was a pig. "Why did you want to go to Canada?". We wanted to say, "Well, we're American al Qaeda and were scoping out spots for the next 9/11" but we also didn't want to be black bagged and never seen again.

Good job, buddy! Doin' a great job guarding that imaginary line up north from Tim Hortons!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

She's really obsessed with her boobs and breastfeeding, isn't she.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

she's still stuck at B in her head

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Alterian posted:

One moment you got a pair of useless lumps taking up space and being the object of desire from a bunch of man-child’s and the next it’s literally the most important thing in the world and the difference between life and death of your crotch spawn.

Guess I’d be kinda fascinated by them too.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Crab Dad posted:

One moment you got a pair of useless lumps taking up space and being the object of desire from a bunch of man-child’s and the next it’s literally the most important thing in the world and the difference between life and death of your crotch spawn.

Or you just formula feed if they don't work / don't want to because we live in modern society.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Given that drat near anti-vac level of dismissiveness they'd had to the doctor, my gut tells me the reaction to formula would be less than ideal.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Those strips were about formula, and I don't think it's helpful to bring in the current anti-vax movement when reading a comic from the 80s.
e: 90s.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Given that drat near anti-vac level of dismissiveness they'd had to the doctor, my gut tells me the reaction to formula would be less than ideal.

“Only bad mothers use formula”.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
You can insist on context all you want, ignoring the doctor like that was still sus as gently caress.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Alterian posted:

I read this as more of a memoir that also instructs. Takes the mystique out of it.

Crab Dad posted:

Exactly so. Before long, they'll be back to being full-time playthings.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

In reality I recall reading about a huge push to get woman to use formula to in essence get them hooked paying out especially in third world countries. Apparently it was an easier sell in the United States because breastfeeding was considered low class from the start.
Formula has a lot of good and can be life saving but the companies that produced it aren’t doing it out of goodwill for mankind.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You can insist on context all you want, ignoring the doctor like that was still sus as gently caress.

You're thinking anti-vax but the actual comparison is with dietary advice, and dietary advice by-and-large can be dismissed as bullshit (in the absense of an actual disease like diebetis).

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I just spotted a couple of familiar characters in another thread:

It looks like Father and Son have a second life in the world of Chinese education material.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Julet Esqu posted:

Okay, time to find out who's jumping out of the plane in Luann

Okay so I think the younger Evans is trying to become A Serious Writer but she only has like fanfic level of talent and all the same writing tics of a burgeoning 13-year old (like everything being in present tense) so this is basically like her publishing on a vanity press but making all of us read it.

Speaking of having no writing ability...

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

That's not a joke! It's like barely a reference to an aphorism! But also it's literally your purpose for doing this.

Alterian posted:

We Are Reproducing is really good, but I'm gonna lightly suggest that some of its goon praise stems from Jucika-level horniness for the hot anime lady that talks about her tits a lot.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Please Billingsley do a seance storyline

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The "pie" hidden symbol is a little contrived, but I'll allow it.

The Family Circus

When you think about it, it's a little weird that there's an entire song about playing a drum solo for a sleeping newborn.

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Weembles posted:

I just spotted a couple of familiar characters in another thread:

It looks like Father and Son have a second life in the world of Chinese education material.

So it was a silent strip because Weimar Germans didn't speak Mandarin? :D

Mutts

Santa's Victory Christmas (December 4, 1942)

Sally Forth

Skippy (November 28, 1935)

Peanuts (December 7, 1976)

Crankshaft

Hold up. If it was on the historic registry, then why the hell did you auction off all the history when you closed?

Rip Haywire is apparently doing a Christmas abduction this year.

Li'l Abner didn't die yesterday after all. But give him another chance. (April 11-13, 1935)

Popeye (July 9, 1940)

Olive & Popeye

Out Our Way (June 24-26, 1943)

My primary paper skipped that middle one. Either it got damaged before it made it to press or they went waaaaaaaaaay out of their way to avoid it for other reasons.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 5, 2023

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

The adults silently staring because the fundie child brought up religion and made things awkward.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Vargo posted:

We Are Reproducing is really good, but I'm gonna lightly suggest that some of its goon praise stems from Jucika-level horniness for the hot anime lady that talks about her tits a lot.
When it got explained what magazine WAR was serialized in (at least at first?) it explained a lot, lmao.

Also, we've seen a touch on Uchida's opinion about formula in her opinion about baby bottles, which is that bottles are hard to clean so she felt lucky she only uses them for treats. I didn't get the impression she cared particularly about formula either way except that breastfeeding works best for her. I think people project a lot of opinions on her that she's not actually expressing?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

PetraCore posted:

I think people project a lot of opinions on her that she's not actually expressing?

Asking goons to be normal about the Japanese or women is a fool's errand to start with, good luck combining the two.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

This is why you should think through your analogies. If you don't tread carefully you suddenly find yourself portraying segregated housing as completely normal.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

EasyEW posted:

Olive & Popeye

WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE

I actually quite like the art.

It just shouldn't be a Popeye comic
Even a spinoff would be fine

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

maybeadracula posted:

I actually quite like the art.

It just shouldn't be a Popeye comic
Even a spinoff would be fine

It's an Olive comic. Popeye shows up sometimes.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I take more offense with the strip just spelling out the mystery. Seems to happen with a lot of these webcomic storyline writers, they give everything away and leave the characters with little agency. Why not hint that there's a weirdo at the docks at night and we discover these things with a successful stakeout? "It's not something" no, it's everything except whether or not Charon is faffing about or something is blocking him.

Kavak posted:

Asking goons to be normal about the Japanese or women is a fool's errand to start with, good luck combining the two.

Seconding. The anti-vax theory seems a bit forced. Speaking of horny for Jucika:

Jucika "422 - Jucika And The Helpful Husband"

"423 - Jucika And The Well-Equipped Bus"

"Autóbusz = Bus"

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Safety Dance posted:

It's an Olive comic. Popeye shows up sometimes.

That's great. If there's ALSO a Popeye comic

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Popeye took over thimble theatre - it is the cycle of life.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

Popeye took over thimble theatre - it is the cycle of life.

This strip is more like if Segar added 30 more Castor Oyls instead.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Powered Descent posted:

Bizarro

The "pie" hidden symbol is a little contrived, but I'll allow it.
I don’t think that’s even one of the hidden symbols. Or he miscounted again and there are 6 instead of 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
The facts in the literal text of the comic are that she respects women who use formula because of how much work it is and her kid is immunized so I dunno, bring all the baggage you want into it I guess.
We Are Reproducing: OK this one is straight up sex, though.