Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

sexy tiger boobs posted:

I haven't but have bought some off aliexpress. It was cheaper for sure but it was tough to navigate and some stuff just didn't ship.

I went into Temu briefly and the whole thing was just obnoxious with spin the wheel popups and just seemed scammy overall.

Yeah, the temu website is definitely on the obnoxious side, but from my experience, they ship faster than aliexpresss. Pricing out a bunch of tackle and Temu seems to be cheaper since you don’t have to pay shipping for each individual item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the main tackle i'd be interested in getting discounted versions of are tungsten weights and there are retailers selling those at discount prices that don't require going through aliexpress or temu

everything else i like supporting the local tackle shops

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Was on the beach the other day and had my paddle board and fishing setup with me cuz we were shark fishing and we use the paddle boards to run the bait out further than we can cast it...

This is a cool story, thanks for sharing!

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Rated PG-34 posted:

Anyone buy tackle on Temu? Seems like I could save a decent chunk of change by ordering from there.

Everything is cheap but works. I'd avoid the rods and reels, but the line is Good Enough even though it's dirt cheap.

I bought jig heads in bulk from temu, which means any time I hook into a bass with one I get to add to the collection of hooks that have been bent straight lol

The soft plastics, the chatterbaits, and the frogs are an incredible value though. Would recommend.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Southern Cassowary posted:

what do yall like for pliers/hook removal

i've got a pair of aluminum no-name amazon specials that suck poo poo and i'd like to invest in something nicer

I use these for all my saltwater excursions:
https://a.co/d/1o6R3in

For freshwater I use barbless so they pop out on their own pretty easily.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Hey fish-knowers; suggestions on a good pair of waders that could also be taken duck hunting?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I used some Cabelas Dri Plus waders for both for a while - now I have separate waders because I like stockingfoot and boots for fishing. If I wanted to have one pair to rule them all I would try and find a pair of Simms G3 or G4s in a camo pattern or go for Sitka's waders. First Lite is *probably* releasing some soon but I don't know how good they will be and if they are boot foot or stocking foot.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
For duck hunting I usually go naked except for a thick layer of locally harvested Duckweed. The ducks see me as food and swim right up to me.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Gotta watch out for those mergansers going after your little chub though.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I bet the sucker fish are appreciated though.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i just lost a 5 pound bass boat flipping and i'm prepping for a tournament so i need a net

what do y'all like in terms of length/net material? it's going to be out of a kayak. i'm debating on something with between a two and four foot handle and i'm pretty sure i want a rubber net but outside of that i know nothing about who makes good nets or what's good enough

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

i just lost a 5 pound bass boat flipping and i'm prepping for a tournament so i need a net

what do y'all like in terms of length/net material? it's going to be out of a kayak. i'm debating on something with between a two and four foot handle and i'm pretty sure i want a rubber net but outside of that i know nothing about who makes good nets or what's good enough

This will probably lose you some fish overall cause of a smaller opening to catch with, but a good Koi Sock Net is probably best for the fish. It's a bit harder to land on target but it's also a lot harder for the fish to escape or injure itself.

This is something the aquarium hobby figured out a long time ago and I don't know if fisher-people use them? They should.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Hauled my PB bass out of a local pond today. Park by my house, I do most of my fishing there. Mostly I go to try out new lures, occasionally catch a bass or crappie, but nothing over 2 lbs. Prior to this year I couldn't get a thing from September until March but I've started to figure them out. I got my first vision 110 jerkbait a while ago and caught a few fish on it. Today I threw it out and felt it load up heavy, but it wasn't fighting hard so I figured I got another pound-and-a-halfer with 3lbs of weeds attached. When the fish surfaced and I saw it I changed from yay I got a fish to oh poo poo I'm going to lose my $25 lure. It didn't fight too hard all the way in and I was able to lip it. I was hollering like a crazy person but I don't think anyone else was around. It had swallowed the whole lure and the back treble was buried way at the back of its tongue. I was totally unprepared and didn't have any pliers or grips so I had to stick my whole hand, up to the wrist, into it's mouth, WITH 3 sets of treble hooks to free it. I thought for sure we were going to end up in an urgent care, attached to each other. I didn't have my scale either, of course, but it was at least an inch longer than my 22" hand paddle. The Internet tells me a healthy 23" fish should be well over 7lbs so that's what I'm going with.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

But what was it?
Also if you must use a treble at least snip one side off. Infinitly easier to remove.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Large mouth bass.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Beefy boy. And I learned about using a hand paddle for kayak fishing, thanks!

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

ihop posted:

Large mouth bass.

That's a drat nice bass. Especially for this time of year.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Frabill floating trout net has served me well from a canoe. It's got a very short handle which means it's not taking up too much room and in a small solo craft you shouldn't really be needing to reach.

Otherwise it has a nice rubberized, hook resistant net that's quite deep. No worry about them jumping out and with the right technique you can keep fish in the water while you handle them.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Picked up my PB rainbow on Friday - 20 inches and 3.5 lbs

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

speaking of pbs

24", probably 8 lbs and change. just throwing senkos off the end of the dock at sunset.

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost
What is it about senkos? I swear over 70% of my catches in the last 5 years have been T. Rigged senkos. A dumb greenish stick looking thing must just piss bass off that they'll bite it anytime

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

fishhooked posted:

What is it about senkos? I swear over 70% of my catches in the last 5 years have been T. Rigged senkos. A dumb greenish stick looking thing must just piss bass off that they'll bite it anytime

honestly i think it's the wiggle - if you watch one sink on slack line it kinda vibrates a little bit.

i've tried a bunch of competitors and they're just not the same, which sucks cause senkos are not durable at all and kind of expensive per bait.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nice bass guys, I haven't caught a big bass in awhile, and my son just caught his first fish (bass) on fly the other day and loved it so now he's all in on fly fishing lol

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
the only bass i've ever caught was a baby and it was immediately after a curly tail grub hit the water lol

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Every time I try to catch Bass I end up catching Channel Cats. It doesn't matter what kind of lure I use. I'm not complaining though Cats are fun as hell to catch.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Charliegrs posted:

Every time I try to catch Bass I end up catching Channel Cats. It doesn't matter what kind of lure I use. I'm not complaining though Cats are fun as hell to catch.

At least you are catching a game fish but aren’t channel cats a bit more into a faster current than lazy rear end bass?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Small mouth like current, but largemouth typically don't.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

At least you are catching a game fish but aren’t channel cats a bit more into a faster current than lazy rear end bass?

I've caught Channel Cats in every body of water you can think of. From relatively steady moving rivers to the most still lakes. The biggest ones I've caught have been in big lakes. I've also caught them in every column of water from the bottom to almost the top. So what I'm saying is channel cats are a land of contrasts.

Also they are a lot of fun to catch they fight very hard.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I have not caught Flatheads or Blues, but Channels are super fun and Bullheads are like dragging in a log. I dunno if my Bullheads are just lazy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Charliegrs posted:

I've caught Channel Cats in every body of water you can think of. From relatively steady moving rivers to the most still lakes. The biggest ones I've caught have been in big lakes. I've also caught them in every column of water from the bottom to almost the top. So what I'm saying is channel cats are a land of contrasts.

Also they are a lot of fun to catch they fight very hard.

Yeah I’m just suggesting he’s not in the right conditions for bass and he may want to search out more placid conditions.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Desert Bus posted:

I have not caught Flatheads or Blues, but Channels are super fun and Bullheads are like dragging in a log. I dunno if my Bullheads are just lazy.

They're saving themselves so they can flip the gently caress out the second you get them in the boat

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

wesleywillis posted:

Small mouth like current, but largemouth typically don't.

I don’t think that is exactly true. Smallmouth do seem more likely to feed in current though, which is more the point I guess.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

titties posted:

They're saving themselves so they can flip the gently caress out the second you get them in the boat

The risk of taking a nice hit of catfish venom is a big part of what makes fishing fun.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
If you catch bullhead just use them as bait for the really big catfish

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006

Nap Ghost
Had a good day bouncing a jig off the bottom here in Kansas city

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
That otter is after your fish bro

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

fishhooked posted:

Had a good day bouncing a jig off the bottom here in Kansas city

where are you at? I'm over in lawrence

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ghostnuke posted:

where are you at? I'm over in lawrence

I was at jacomo but I live in KC proper