Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Just on the old Braytech subway stop, turned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Cheap Trick posted:

I have yet to finish a matchmade Coil. Someone always dips out after 2 or 3 paths and/or I get kicked to orbit waiting to see if the last surviving team member can solo the last boss.
yeah I just do it through d2lfg. worth about 2 alloy, 9 prisms, and god knows what else per run.

Reiterpallasch posted:

pretty down on destiny as a whole, but coil is one of the best activities they've put into the game in my entire time playing it.

my main problem with coil right now is that to get rewards out of it you have to have lair keys, which you get from playing things that are not coil, which i do not want to do anymore.
patrol chests and baryon boughs give a nice return of wish engrams, gunsmith engrams, and lair keys. You can slap on a ghost mod, a podcast, and zone out for a while while you run a circuit around the dreaming city.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sestze posted:

patrol chests and baryon boughs give a nice return of wish engrams, gunsmith engrams, and lair keys. You can slap on a ghost mod, a podcast, and zone out for a while while you run a circuit around the dreaming city.
I feel like this doesn't work as well as it did when the season started, like Bungie saw Aztecross' video and made a server-side change to the drop rate for wish engrams. I got some mileage out of it on Thursday, but when I went to do it again on Saturday I wasn't having nearly as many drop.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sestze posted:

Wait really? That would rule if they actually made patrols rewarding again. I really enjoy doing patrols, there just never seems to be much point aside from the xp and dust from the seasonal challenges.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
I got the lions share of my engrams this season from just derping around with an eager edge sword listening to random people on youtube. The other half I got from LFGing Coils and dungeons. Gives Season of the Wish rep gains too, so if you're willing to scoop that stuff, kill HVTs and do public events as you're passing through, it's pretty easy and way more rewarding than grinding playlist activities.

I had every seasonal gun craftable, crafted the weapons I wanted, and recouped the materials before the end of the first week.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
There's like 180+ days left in the season!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah if there was ever a season to not rush poo poo this is problably it. I’ve done the dungeon and started the weekly stuff but aside from that I’m playing other stuff for now and letting the weekly challenges stack up. Some of the solar builds this season look really fun but also seem to be very solo content oriented.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
Noted, but I will have other things to do or focus on later on. Had nothing to do this week.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Extreme Lore Spoilers and Waffle Speculation™

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/proportionality

makes u wonder whether the Hive can still potentially resemble their old krill-like bodies after eons of wormtithe

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I don't know if this is just something I've noticed but almost all of the lore entries I've read in the last year or so start with "[character] did [action]" and it just bugs me now I've noticed it.

Also that lore tab loving rules.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

Bungie saw Aztecross' video

Nope

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I can say I HAVE seen people on twitter saying the drop rate has noticeably decreased after the last patch.

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

new IB crest-based game mode fun?

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

There's a very nice white and pink shader up for bright dust this week

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Goons, I'm poking my head back into the game after playing through vanilla and the first expansion or two that I guess are mostly or completely vaulted. I'm not even sure which expansion I last bought--I know it was before stasis was a thing. I'm just looking for a fun shooter to dink around on for a while.

Anyway, I have a question: I know that there is still no way to modify your Guardian's facial appearance short of deleting your character and remaking. Do we know why that feature has never materialized? Surely Bungie would love to monetize such a thing, since they've cravenly monetized basically any and everything else. All I can figure is that Guardian appearance is somehow deeply hard-coded in such a way that it'd require a severe coding re-write to disentangle. I'm curious if Bungie has ever commented on it, beyond saying it was a thing that they wanted to make available at some point.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dick Burglar posted:

Goons, I'm poking my head back into the game after playing through vanilla and the first expansion or two that I guess are mostly or completely vaulted. I'm not even sure which expansion I last bought--I know it was before stasis was a thing. I'm just looking for a fun shooter to dink around on for a while.

Stasis was introduced in Beyond Light. Before that were Shadowkeep (still fully available), Forsaken (half vaulted), Warmind (entirely vaulted), and Curse of Osiris (entirely vaulted).

quote:

Anyway, I have a question: I know that there is still no way to modify your Guardian's facial appearance short of deleting your character and remaking. Do we know why that feature has never materialized? Surely Bungie would love to monetize such a thing, since they've cravenly monetized basically any and everything else. All I can figure is that Guardian appearance is somehow deeply hard-coded in such a way that it'd require a severe coding re-write to disentangle. I'm curious if Bungie has ever commented on it, beyond saying it was a thing that they wanted to make available at some point.

Not really, no. There's no way to guess at their priorities or figure out if they didn't do something because it was hard, or they just didn't care, or something else took priority, or somewhere in between

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I think I bought Forsaken because I remember seeing the cinematic of Cayde dying, but I don't think I ever finished it. So I think my statement still stands.

I've tried coming back to the game two or three times (before quickly bouncing off again) and it's dumped me into a storyline I definitely do not recall anything about, so I guess I'm hitting the 'new' new player experience post-vaulting. I want to play a shooty game that has both PVE and PVP aspects. I used to think I was just old and bad at PVP, but now that I've got a computer with a higher refresh rate than 60hz, I'm finding I'm actually not as bad as I thought. Or maybe a long break got me over my old hang-ups, I dunno.

If I'm in the new player experience, how long until I hit a content wall and I need to buy the newer expansions?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Dick Burglar posted:

I think I bought Forsaken because I remember seeing the cinematic of Cayde dying, but I don't think I ever finished it. So I think my statement still stands.

I've tried coming back to the game two or three times (before quickly bouncing off again) and it's dumped me into a storyline I definitely do not recall anything about, so I guess I'm hitting the 'new' new player experience post-vaulting. I want to play a shooty game that has both PVE and PVP aspects. I used to think I was just old and bad at PVP, but now that I've got a computer with a higher refresh rate than 60hz, I'm finding I'm actually not as bad as I thought. Or maybe a long break got me over my old hang-ups, I dunno.

If I'm in the new player experience, how long until I hit a content wall and I need to buy the newer expansions?

Imo destiny is really not f2p. After you finish the new player experience your options are wander around in patrol zones, do the strike/crucible/gambit playlists, or do the first mission of whatever expansions. Imo the next thing to do is either get WQ for 10bux to get the best campaign and weapon crafting, or splurge and buy lightfall and the newest season on sale for 30 or whatever it is on sale.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hackan Slash posted:

Imo destiny is really not f2p. After you finish the new player experience your options are wander around in patrol zones, do the strike/crucible/gambit playlists, or do the first mission of whatever expansions. Imo the next thing to do is either get WQ for 10bux to get the best campaign and weapon crafting, or splurge and buy lightfall and the newest season on sale for 30 or whatever it is on sale.

Can you even do anything in the new season without Forsaken if you're purely F2P besides that (though he'd have it)? It's all Dreaming City

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
All planetary patrol zones are F2P

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh, I wouldn't think that would have included Blind Well

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dreaming City patrol is free, Last Wish and Shat Throne are part of the arsenal collection (which also now includes the 30th anniversary pack).

Again, it should all just be part of the legacy pack.

E: Oh hey, new reissued Iron Banner Armour, and a set of universal ornaments as well!

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 6, 2023

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

yeah i'm gonna be getting my iron banner on this season no matter how miserable it makes me

i want them fuckin ORNAMENTS

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I bought one of the ornaments and couldn’t find it in the ornament picker and someone on discord explained that they only work on base IB armor pieces unless you transmog them

lol

lmao

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

lmao, 9 energy to get the cooldown back down to 1 second. loving hell Bungie.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

haveblue posted:

I bought one of the ornaments and couldn’t find it in the ornament picker and someone on discord explained that they only work on base IB armor pieces unless you transmog them

lol

lmao

this has been the case for activity-related ornaments since vanilla D2. the ones on the pass or from Eververse are called universal ornaments and in contrast you can put them on anything

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I killed two people in comp yesterday when they shot a telesto and I used a Khepri's Horn barricade, the scorch immediately detonated the telesto shots in front and got 'em both :evilbuddy:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The reason why it's throwing people for a loop is that there haven't actually BEEN any activity-related ornaments since D2y1. They did a massive overhaul to the armor ornamentation system in like, Year 4 or something. It's just goofy to see them resurrect a D2y1 item and also bring the D2y1 slotting mechanic with it!

It makes sense that it works the way it does. It's also very silly, and stupid

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Boy this new iron banner mode is messy, and not in the fun way
Especially when someone banks the final few crests and the mode just ends abruptly, it feels like a mistake or the game hosed up

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Get a Scatter Signal with Accelerated Coils and CT MW. It's faster than Riptide (460 CT)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

this has been the case for activity-related ornaments since vanilla D2. the ones on the pass or from Eververse are called universal ornaments and in contrast you can put them on anything

I used to have a little antenna on my vanguard armor with the Shelter in Place stuff :v:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Also. What did Riven actually do that was bad, I mean, yes the Dreaming City had a backdoor oops but that's on Mara for trying to make a deal with "literally evil genie wish dragon" and being mad that it went wrong after trying to use them for power and apparently scattering their eggs

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

ex post facho posted:

Get a Scatter Signal with Accelerated Coils and CT MW. It's faster than Riptide (460 CT)

Wait how does that work? They're both Rapid Fire frames that can get Charge Time Masterwork and Accelerated Coils, wouldn't they end up being the exact same? Scatter Signal gets Kickstart for improved charge time but Riptide gets Successful Warm-Up too.

Or is this one of those "animation time is slightly shorter on Scatter Signal because Bungie" moments?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ex post facho posted:

Also. What did Riven actually do that was bad, I mean, yes the Dreaming City had a backdoor oops but that's on Mara for trying to make a deal with "literally evil genie wish dragon" and being mad that it went wrong after trying to use them for power and apparently scattering their eggs
Depends.

What Riven did 'wrong' while she had control over her own nature was to twist the wishes of those trying to use her. Hence setting up the wish wall as the only 'safe' way to interact with her.

But the reason guardians had to kill her was because Oryx / Savathûn had control of her, and used her to corrupt Uldren and create the Scorn. After that point it was obvious to Mara that Riven was neither under her control nor contained, so she got the guardians to take her out behind the woodshed.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

aledesma posted:

new IB crest-based game mode fun?

new?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Yeah, it's new. You collect crests, but unlike supremacy you accumulate them and don't get points until you dunk them in one of several scoring receptacles. Also unlike supremacy you can collect anyone's crest and drop all the crests you're carrying when killed. It's pretty chaotic unless your team is smart enough to go around in groups and defend anyone holding, which they aren't if you solo drop, so it's not that good

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Right now I've just had a bunch of bad matches of the new mode so I don't like it. Having a deposit despawn just as your going for it or feeling like the nodes are perpetually on parts of the map that aren't safe has been annoying. Also the time I had a shitload of crests but somehow didn't deposit because I was like an inch too far when I tried holding E and didn't notice for long enough (like 1 second) for someone to show up and kill me before I could finish the real deposit.

Also I barely understand what's going on with the high value node. Do you get more score for depositing at it?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

haveblue posted:

Yeah, it's new. You collect crests, but unlike supremacy you accumulate them and don't get points until you dunk them in one of several scoring receptacles. Also unlike supremacy you can collect anyone's crest and drop all the crests you're carrying when killed. It's pretty chaotic unless your team is smart enough to go around in groups and defend anyone holding, which they aren't if you solo drop, so it's not that good

Sounds like gambit (bad)

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Unlocked the Linear Fusion last night (thanks harmonizes from last season). Didn't get a chance to make it yet but it looks very nasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Sounds like gambit (bad)

yes regular gambit == kinda bad

but

Gambit Prime? having different roles like Collector, Reaper, Sentry, Invader? that was the pinnacle of matchmade activities.