Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

EdsTeioh posted:

Who are we talking about here?

Content: Are there stencils for Zone Mortalis floor tiles? I ended up with a bunch and really want a faster way to paint these things.

Discourse Miniatures, she makes really click bait videos on youtube about how everything Games-Workshop does is doomed to fail and how they are ripping you off at ever turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
My LI accessories order from GW just shipped this evening. My order from a Northern Irish shop has yet to ship, they are normally incredibly punctual, so I reckon GWs warehouse has been caught badly out.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Mohawk Potato posted:

Discourse Miniatures, she makes really click bait videos on youtube about how everything Games-Workshop does is doomed to fail and how they are ripping you off at ever turn.

Ooh ok. I mean, isn't that like 90% of youtube hobby videos?

EDIT OHHHH her yeah she's awful.

EdsTeioh fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 4, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

If anyone buys a Legion Imperialis box of marine tanks and doesn't want the World Eaters transfers, I'd happily take them off their hands

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah, that's a good catch. It's a nice, simple way to reduce active modifiers.

I don't think the article says anything specific. Barring any hard limits, I'd just assume a wizard is limited either by their level or by the spells they know. So, for example, a level 1 wizard knows two spells since they get the freebie signature spell on top of whatever else they have. They could cast either one or two spells depending on how GW decides to handle it. I'm hoping they lean to the more permissive side of things here.

My guess is that a Wizard can cast a spell they know for each phase. So a Level 4 Wizard that knows one Enchantment, Conveyance, Magic Missile, Vortex, and Assailment spell could cast one of each spell except for during the shooting phase where they would have to pick between the Vortex and Magic Missile.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There might even be a curveball like the winds of magic roll at the start of each turn, which determines how many dice players get to spend on spells.

I love that they're finally putting out info for this though.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

EdsTeioh posted:

Content: Are there stencils for Zone Mortalis floor tiles? I ended up with a bunch and really want a faster way to paint these things.

No, you must paint the little squares in between the metal grid lines, and suffer as I suffered.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Genghis Cohen posted:

No, you must paint the little squares in between the metal grid lines, and suffer as I suffered.

576 of these things, huh?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

moths posted:

There might even be a curveball like the winds of magic roll at the start of each turn, which determines how many dice players get to spend on spells.

I love that they're finally putting out info for this though.

I highly doubt this, it feels like it would have been mentioned here if that was the case.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

True, plus that doesn't work well with spells spread out across the player turn.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

EdsTeioh posted:

576 of these things, huh?

Yep, and and while 36 of those are the squares mostly taken up by big circular grilles (which I left metal) about half of the remainder have this horrible shape where there are 2 little lines of the grid cutting off the sides of the square. So I felt I had to kind of 'fill in' those little strips with my concrete grey colour as well as the main body of the square.

It was incredibly tedious, I have 3 spare tiles which some day I may make riser sections out of, but my god I don't want to ever have to paint them.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Genghis Cohen posted:

Yep, and and while 36 of those are the squares mostly taken up by big circular grilles (which I left metal) about half of the remainder have this horrible shape where there are 2 little lines of the grid cutting off the sides of the square. So I felt I had to kind of 'fill in' those little strips with my concrete grey colour as well as the main body of the square.

It was incredibly tedious, I have 3 spare tiles which some day I may make riser sections out of, but my god I don't want to ever have to paint them.

YEAHHHH already found those parts. I mean, the best solution really is to prime black, airbrush just the concrete or whatever, then brush paint the metallics and weather the poo poo out of them BUT I'm almost tempted to just rattlecan some Zandri Dust and then hit metallics.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

EdsTeioh posted:

YEAHHHH already found those parts. I mean, the best solution really is to prime black, airbrush just the concrete or whatever, then brush paint the metallics and weather the poo poo out of them BUT I'm almost tempted to just rattlecan some Zandri Dust and then hit metallics.

I went with airbrush and wash the metallics, then paint in the concrete, but that was at least partly because I used texture paint on the concrete, and that also made the process a bit more painful.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Genghis Cohen posted:

I went with airbrush and wash the metallics, then paint in the concrete, but that was at least partly because I used texture paint on the concrete, and that also made the process a bit more painful.

What paint did you use for the concrete? You have any pics?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Mohawk Potato posted:

Why do they have the same shirt on in 90% of the videos

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I imagine that makes continuity easier for editing.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

goodness posted:

Why do they have the same shirt on in 90% of the videos

It's adapted from the original manga

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Discourse is extremely frustrating because they have actual points but drown them in a mire of YouTuber clickbait bullshit. It’s difficult to take them seriously when the video titles are tryhard outrage poo poo and the actual valid criticism is hidden between worthless skits

As a BattleTech player, their video on BT was a perfect example. Stupid video title (that they changed at least twice, and each time worse than before) that doesn’t represent the actually reasonable and generally positive opinion presented in the video in basically any way - which also is drowned in lame ”ha ha BT old” jokes

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Which is why I ignore the large portion of youtube content creators who are all doing the same thing in more or less the same way.

Pick the ones you like and ignore everyone else.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

EdsTeioh posted:

What paint did you use for the concrete? You have any pics?

It was the citadel astrogranite textured paint, no pics I'm afraid.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

a cyborg mug posted:

Discourse is extremely frustrating because they have actual points but drown them in a mire of YouTuber clickbait bullshit. It’s difficult to take them seriously when the video titles are tryhard outrage poo poo and the actual valid criticism is hidden between worthless skits

As a BattleTech player, their video on BT was a perfect example. Stupid video title (that they changed at least twice, and each time worse than before) that doesn’t represent the actually reasonable and generally positive opinion presented in the video in basically any way - which also is drowned in lame ”ha ha BT old” jokes

The battletech video was so insanely soft on how dogshit catalyst can be(if kevin roundtree had yoinked gw funds to build a porch she would have tattooed "KEVIN ROUNDTREE IS AN EMBEZZLER" on her forehead) and I still maintain Battletech is not and can never be a suitable 40k replacement. That's also the last time I gave attention to Discourse because in her previous shilling other systems I had no idea but the BT video told me they had no idear

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Lostconfused posted:

Which is why I ignore the large portion of youtube content creators who are all doing the same thing in more or less the same way.

Pick the ones you like and ignore everyone else.

It's stupid that youtube only let's you ignore channels from the home screen. What I would give to be able to ignore channels directly from search results.

Thankfully the algo decided to show Discourse's mug one day and I promptly :commissar: the channel.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Z the IVth posted:

It's stupid that youtube only let's you ignore channels from the home screen. What I would give to be able to ignore channels directly from search results.

Thankfully the algo decided to show Discourse's mug one day and I promptly :commissar: the channel.

BlockTube is good for banishing channels. I have it on Firefox, not sure if it's on other browsers.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Little Rhino is a lot of fun so far- really easy to put together, easy to drill and set up on handle. I got it primed and ready to paint. I’m going to use a DG recipe from Eavy Metal that I plan on making a dirtier version of for my Plague Marine Kill Team.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Genghis Cohen posted:

It was the citadel astrogranite textured paint, no pics I'm afraid.

Oh the...whole thing...?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Little Rhino is a lot of fun so far- really easy to put together, easy to drill and set up on handle. I got it primed and ready to paint. I’m going to use a DG recipe from Eavy Metal that I plan on making a dirtier version of for my Plague Marine Kill Team.

I really want a couple of Little Predators, Little Kratos, or even two more Little Rhinos. What I don't want is four of any of those, or to have to buy the entire boxed set, because I know I'll lose interest if I have more than a few lying around.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah I’m thinking about getting a few here and there, assuming this paint job goes well. Eventually I might have something that I can use.

Dammit, this is how they get you. Drug dealer method.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I'm kitbashing a Legionary icon bearer and it's getting a little out of hand- am I shooting myself in the rear end by modelling for disadvantage?

Also: as I'm building the icon bearer from the body I was planning on using for a melta gunner, a plasma gunner is almost always the best choice, correct?

edit:

edit 2: I am going to drill the barrel

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 6, 2023

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

The battletech video was so insanely soft on how dogshit catalyst can be(if kevin roundtree had yoinked gw funds to build a porch she would have tattooed "KEVIN ROUNDTREE IS AN EMBEZZLER" on her forehead) and I still maintain Battletech is not and can never be a suitable 40k replacement. That's also the last time I gave attention to Discourse because in her previous shilling other systems I had no idea but the BT video told me they had no idear

I love BT, but it scratches are very different itch. I couldn't imagine selling it to someone as similar to 40k.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Virtual Russian posted:

I love BT, but it scratches are very different itch. I couldn't imagine selling it to someone as similar to 40k.

Yeah. I seriously dont get the whole "40k refugee" thing, if you're able to dump 40k over prices/IP protection measures and just like mini games, yeah, sure

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The people who have chosen to make "hating GW" their whole personality are desperately thirsty for something to come along and kill 40k.

If you knew anyone who was constantly and unfathomably angry about WoW, it's essentially the same phenomenon. Ultimate Warquest Online is going to be the next big thing and nobody will play WoW anymore and then the guild will have to come crawling back to me begging for leveling runs ... and I'll say no.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

GW and 40K is more popular than ever before as far as I can tell. Those people need to move on or they'll end up wasting the rest of their lives.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

They can't, hating GW is now their main source of views.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm like the poster boy of hating GW here, or I was back in the Death Thread days, but honestly they course corrected after Kirby left and hating GW is just such a waste of energy when you can play a different game and move on with your life.

Battletech is cool and all, but it is not 40k. It's barely Epic. It's got way more in common with Advanced Squad Leader and the hex and chit genre than it does with traditional miniature games like 40k. Trying to pretend the transition between the two is seamless is so bizarre to me.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Battletech has a ton going for it. I love it for small narrative campaigns and scenarios, it is kinda like a historical game set in the future. Playing a lance v lance deathmatch is still fun, but is probably the least interesting way to play. People trying to make BT into 40k miss that it has way more potential as like a DnD style game. I suspect that comes from how competitive 40k is.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Taking two armies of equal points and smashing them into each other also sounds like the least interesting way to play 40k.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Virtual Russian posted:

Battletech has a ton going for it. I love it for small narrative campaigns and scenarios, it is kinda like a historical game set in the future. Playing a lance v lance deathmatch is still fun, but is probably the least interesting way to play. People trying to make BT into 40k miss that it has way more potential as like a DnD style game. I suspect that comes from how competitive 40k is.

Im kind of hoping that LI goes into the "historicals but fake" motif a bit. We basically know all of the HH battles, and they're documented. The next boxed set is called The Great Slaughter and the book specifically names that as the Istvan 3 massacre, so I'm hoping they provide cool ways to recreate battles.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I wish that GW had actually put money into paying a good sci fi author and a military historian or something to partner up and write the Istavan V lore. It’s supposed to be one of the most important moments in the setting and it’s like a Jr High schooler thought it up.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I really want a couple of Little Predators, Little Kratos, or even two more Little Rhinos. What I don't want is four of any of those, or to have to buy the entire boxed set, because I know I'll lose interest if I have more than a few lying around.

Do what I plan to do with my Little Rhinos—buy the box of ten, assemble as many as you feel like, and put the rest aside to eventually model as wrecked tanks on Little Titan bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Stephenls posted:

Do what I plan to do with my Little Rhinos—buy the box of ten, assemble as many as you feel like, and put the rest aside to eventually model as wrecked tanks on Little Titan bases.

Just having that many lying around would demotivate me.