Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

It seems like a fair number of knowledgeable people enjoy it, but I found it a bore. A chore to set up, generally too easy, not much depth or intrigue in the mechanics. I like the stamina system they came up with for cycling your hand/the card market, but it doesn’t sustain a whole game on its own.

I agree. I own all the product released up to now, and I enjoy owning it, and looking through it, and setting up the game, and reading all the additional content, but I’m really not that fond of the game itself, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

djfooboo posted:

According to BGG, 512 if you take out expansions. I know some of those are not really games unto themselves, but BGG codes them as games. Looking at you Lvl99 games.

I really should just count boxes on the shelf because I am an aggressive space saver. Notre Dame lives in Year of the Dragon for instance.

Hello fellow multi-game box enjoyer

I am still trying to find which box I placed broom service

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

Hello fellow multi-game box enjoyer

I am still trying to find which box I placed broom service

Is it in Witches Brew’s box? I have a bootleg copy of Witches brew and broom service the card game in my broom service box :3:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

djfooboo posted:

Is it in Witches Brew’s box? I have a bootleg copy of Witches brew and broom service the card game in my broom service box :3:

That would only make it too easy. I never actually got witches’ brew.

It used to live in el grande, then Chicago express, and then who knows now? I’ve thrown away the original box, so it’s an orphan wandering the shelf

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Chill la Chill posted:

That would only make it too easy. I never actually got witches’ brew.

It used to live in el grande, then Chicago express, and then who knows now? I’ve thrown away the original box, so it’s an orphan wandering the shelf

If you’re a box consolidator, always check your Queen games for strays.

I think I’ve packed at least three games into every Queen box I’ve kept, those things are voluminous.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

So every year some friends and I get an AirBnB somewhere and spend a long weekend playing board games. Usually we end up playing a lot of different games, but we only end up playing them once. We're trying something new this year, and going for fewer games, but playing them more then once to get more out of them. I'm trying to figure out what to bring this year, so I thought I'd check with the great hive mind. Here's the criteria for what I'm considering:

1. Has to be good at 5 players, since that's how many of us there are.
2. Playable under 3 hours, preferably around 2.
3. Actually available to buy.

Who's got thoughts?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
At 5 players I'm all about Diplomacy and Resistance variants like Avalon or Secret Hitler.

The Bloodborne card game is great semi cooperative

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 5, 2023

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Funzo posted:

So every year some friends and I get an AirBnB somewhere and spend a long weekend playing board games. Usually we end up playing a lot of different games, but we only end up playing them once. We're trying something new this year, and going for fewer games, but playing them more then once to get more out of them. I'm trying to figure out what to bring this year, so I thought I'd check with the great hive mind. Here's the criteria for what I'm considering:

Who's got thoughts?

Feels like Oath was made for this.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Anonymous Robot posted:

Ideally bought at a discount from somebody on Facebook who realized they don't have a group like this.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Funzo posted:

Who's got thoughts?

Pax Pamir 2e

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Funzo posted:

Who's got thoughts?

Concordia might fit the bill, and it looks available from RGG in the US on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Rio-Grande-Games-RIO-499/dp/B00HFDSQP6 If RGG (the US publisher) has a shop, I can't find it. I just got to play this for the first time in ages last week, and I still love this game to bits.

I checked BGG for 5 player with times between 90m and 2.5H but didn't see tons of games I've actually played besides Concordia. Here's the link but it might not be the best anyway, since it also eliminated Pax Pamir 2e (as suggested above) for reasons I'm unsure of.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Anyone play Kutna Hora yet and have opinions? Hearing really strong word of mouth from my friends who played it at conventions.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Funzo posted:

Who's got thoughts?
Sidereal Confluence?

1846 can fit the bill with experience; when learning it's liable to be more like 4-5 hours to complete (or just cut it short). But if you play with a spreadsheet and are willing to invest practice then it can go pretty fast. Heavy Cardboard did a playthrough video demonstrating quick play. 18Chesapeake might also work with similar provisos.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Anonymous Robot posted:

tokenbrownguy posted:

Pax Pamir 2e

Let's keep the Cole Wehrle train going and add John Company 2E to the list, though the recent SUSD review might make it hard to find if you don't already have it.

Concordia's also a good call. Spirit Island if you're into the co-op.

Depending on the group's tastes, Stationfall or Shikkoku 1889.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Funzo posted:

Who's got thoughts?

What kind of games do you tend to enjoy as a group?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Serotoning posted:

What kind of games do you tend to enjoy as a group?

Ridiculous question. They should just play (my favorite game).

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Funzo posted:

Who's got thoughts?

I second Concordia, but I'd choose Hansa Teutonica over it. If you're going to buy either of these games, I'd suggest the Concordia: Venus standalone box and the HT big box respectively, I'm pretty sure both of these are in print and they're the definitive versions of the two games. In my experience Concordia can run quite slowly at 5 as the players will be blocking each other a lot and it can be difficult to make a decision when all of the good spots are taken already.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Concordia was actually on my list since I own it already. Is it worth getting any of the expansions?

I've got Pax Pamir as well but haven't played it yet. I'll check out the others as well.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Stellaris Nexus is open beta free for the next week on Steam, their attempt to make a ~60 minute 4X. it's good!

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

CitizenKeen posted:

Let's keep the Cole Wehrle train going and add John Company 2E to the list, though the recent SUSD review might make it hard to find if you don't already have it.

Concordia's also a good call. Spirit Island if you're into the co-op.

Depending on the group's tastes, Stationfall or Shikkoku 1889.

I thought about Joco but you’d be lucky to get a game done in 2 hours.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

concordia is a fine game but hansa teutonica is an alltimer. I would get bored of multiple plays of concordia because I’m trying to do roughly the same thing almost every time. with hanny toots I’d gladly play a dozen times over a weekend with the same group. it’s one of the best games for seeing a meta emerge and evolve in.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

tokenbrownguy posted:

I thought about Joco but you’d be lucky to get a game done in 2 hours.

Ah, yeah, gently caress. Not JoCo. My bad.

But Oath. This sounds like an Oath weekend. After the first game you should be able to play comfortably in the 2-3 hour window, and not only does each game give you a better grasp of mechanics to make the next game richer, but each game informs the next one narratively.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I think the El Grande reprint has started popping up, that could also be a good option. Hansa Teutonica is an excellent one. Cyclades too. Anything where you’re all looking at a common board and jockeying for position works well for a lot of plays in a row. Heavier games I think you often need breaks between.

I think John Company would be nuts if you wanted to play it more than twice and keep sessions to 2-3 hours, no chance with five players.

I recently did this with friends and a few games and the big winners were Zoo Vadis and Modern Art, we played them like six times each. Zoo Vadis is very short though, almost filler length.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I was thinking about Zoo Vadis, but I wasn’t sure it would hold up to consecutive repeat plays. I guess any animosity that carries over could build some intrigue.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Funzo posted:

Concordia was actually on my list since I own it already. Is it worth getting any of the expansions?

No expansions are necessary, but I say that as someone who owns basically everything for this game.

You can get more maps, primarily for smaller groups or additional gimmicks. For that reason, I consider Corscia (and Gallia on the other side) to be a good map because it's very very small. The designer has said they like playing 5 player on the tiny maps because it's so competitive but I haven't gotten the chance to try that. I also don't think you really need maps for bigger play, and the only way to get bigger is with Salsa because it adds addtional cities (so Byzantium is bigger than Mare Nostrum).

Most of the other gimmicks like Egyptus and Germania are all kind of weird. The Balearic Isles have two gimmicks: being islands and more water based and a fish market rondel (which I have not tried, but I have played the map itself). There's an upcoming one for Rome itself which also has a rondel and more gimmicks but it seems more interesting than some of the last ones.

Salsa also adds a wild resource (Salt) which is fun but hardly necessary, and Forum tiles which are asymmetric powers gained by the Tribune action that I haven't tried yet.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Here’s what you do, you grab yourself a copy of Space Alert, and optimally the expansion so you can play with the continuing experience track.

Then you set the game up on a table somewhere it can stay set up all weekend. You then set up a laptop connected to wireless speakers around the house, and you program it to play through the tracks at random intervals of about once every 2-3 hours or so, and no less than say 45 minutes since the previous trigger.

You then go about your day, eating, drinking, playing other games, and then whenever you hear that Siren go off, you immediately DROP EVERYTHING and strap in to fight off that space octopus. When you have finished you immediately reset everything to be ready for your next mission.

Thus you accurately roleplay the life of a member of the crew of a sitting duck class spaceship, going about their day until they warp in to map a new sector of space.

Taking a poo poo? Too bad. That mouse isn’t going to wiggle itself.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 5, 2023

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

genius.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Funzo posted:

Who's got thoughts?

The estates, Hansa Teutonica, The Great Zimbabwe. Chicago express fails #3 but maybe you're lucky. Also ugh container is perfect for a short deep dive to create a meta but #3

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

CitizenKeen posted:

or Shikkoku 1889.

18xx games are very sensitive to player count. 1889 is quite bad at 5 player.

Generally if people want to try an 18xx I'd strongly consider looking up the best player count on bgg ans sticking to it religiously.

The reason for this is - IMHO- is the ratio of major companies to players (especially in 1830 derivatives) really impacts the feeling of the game, because it impacts how many people can open a 2nd or 3rd major. This has huge consequences for the pace of the train rush, and the ability to execute general schenegians, trade trains between your companies etc.

1889 has 7 mahors. At 3 players, someone gets to open a 3rd company but generally that company will be quite bad. Conversely, you have the extra capital, and so there are lots of interesting dimensions to getting that 3rd company or not and who and how that will happen.

Conversely, at 4, everyone except one player will get a second company. Getting the extra capital control is often quite important

At 5, this all breaks down. Only 2 player will get an extra company. Often someone will spend an protracted period as an investor. Generally companies get floated earlier so there is less capital so some of 1889s most egregious problems about the train rush come to the fore.

1830 has an extra major and a higher capital requirement to par which completely changes all of this. In 5 player 1889, often 3Ts will.last to the end. In 5 player 1830 4Ts making it to the end is only a very faint possibility.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Hey everyone. I wanna play more Legacy games and hopefully start one with my GF. But it looks like all the ones that look the coolest need 3 people. (Risk Legacy, Betrayal Legacy)

What are some good Legacy games to get that are great for two people?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

BigRed0427 posted:

Hey everyone. I wanna play more Legacy games and hopefully start one with my GF. But it looks like all the ones that look the coolest need 3 people. (Risk Legacy, Betrayal Legacy)

Kaiju Table Battles

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

I've played Pandemic Legacy 1 and 2 (4 player) and Clank Legacy (mostly 3, one person dropped out due to the non-board game pandemic). I imagine you could play them all just fine with 2 players, but the question is: do you want to play them multi-handed, aka 2 characters per player. With Pandemic, you might want to, but I doubt it'd be good in Clank Legacy. It's been too long for me to remember it enough to really explore the implications, but if you like either of those base games, consider trying them.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

BigRed0427 posted:

If you've already played Pandemic Legacy, my wife and I both enjoyed Aeon's End: Legacy of Gravehold.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Frozen Peach posted:

Kaiju Table Battles

Wheeler W Wetherby
Sep 30, 2004

• Has an O-level in camel-hygiene
  • Can count up to 4

BigRed0427 posted:

Specifically a 'legacy' game, or would a campaign system fill the same need? Cause Jaws of the Lion is right there.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Played the sea animal Ark Nova expansion tonight and it's a bit of a mixed bag to be honest.

They have rebalanced a bunch of cars which is very welcome. They've also added some new action cards which you can draft at the start to make it even more asymmetrical. In doing that they've made sponsors better as an action. Pretty decent changes

The new fish cards are all pretty interesting but ultimately it just dilutes the deck even more meaning luck of the draw is even more important. If you're looking for a predator there are now 56 new cards, 1 of which is a predator.

They've also made one inexcusable design choice. With the new cards the main deck is over 300 cards and now you can get a university that let's you search the deck. Each player is only going to do it once but still, searching a 300 deck is an insane choice.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Aramoro posted:

Played the sea animal Ark Nova expansion tonight and it's a bit of a mixed bag to be honest.

They have rebalanced a bunch of cars which is very welcome. They've also added some new action cards which you can draft at the start to make it even more asymmetrical. In doing that they've made sponsors better as an action. Pretty decent changes

The new fish cards are all pretty interesting but ultimately it just dilutes the deck even more meaning luck of the draw is even more important. If you're looking for a predator there are now 56 new cards, 1 of which is a predator.

They've also made one inexcusable design choice. With the new cards the main deck is over 300 cards and now you can get a university that let's you search the deck. Each player is only going to do it once but still, searching a 300 deck is an insane choice.

I feel like Ark Nova is already dripping in inexcusable design choices but that certainly is a hell of a standout and makes me laugh as much as it makes me want to go on a rant about ark nova SO HERE GOES.

So many people love the game and I've never been so thoroughly frustrated with a series of choices that are incomprehensible to me:

- Theme is so loosely draped over the gameplay that every bit of the "zoo tycoon" promise is lost from the game as you strive to cram whatever animals you can into whatever enclosures you can build at the fastest possible speed with no thought to aesthetics or the actual "zoo" side of things. I can't remember a single thing about a single zoo ive ever made in this game and I've played it many times
- Massive "luck of the draw" component combines with action selection mechanism that is largely on rails (you virtually always take the 4-5 point actions) reduces player choices even further
- Trying to build a specific theme or type of zoo is outright punished by RNG most of the time
- Incredibly fiddly and long play time for very light decision-making space
- Player interaction is super infrequent yet what little there is can be an enormous "gotcha" completely out of nowhere
- and MORE

It's playable i guess??? but god that game gets me fired up

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 6, 2023

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Almost all of the new cards push the card row when they come out, so they shouldn't have much effect on your chances of drawing other types of cards. The fish themselves might not show up though, it's pretty sad when you start with a reef fish and then don't get another one for the rest of the game. The new universities you mention help out too if you just need one more monkey or whatever. I don't think they let you search the deck directly, you flip from the top until you find a matching card. I really like the new varied action cards!

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

misguided rage posted:

Almost all of the new cards push the card row when they come out, so they shouldn't have much effect on your chances of drawing other types of cards. The fish themselves might not show up though, it's pretty sad when you start with a reef fish and then don't get another one for the rest of the game. The new universities you mention help out too if you just need one more monkey or whatever. I don't think they let you search the deck directly, you flip from the top until you find a matching card. I really like the new varied action cards!

Yeah, it's not an actual search; you draw from the top until you find a matching one.

Having played a couple times with the expansion I think on balance it makes it much easier to find specific card types because of the market rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Funzo posted:

Who's got thoughts?

Dune?